Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

1 degree and 25 mph winds ... is 25 mph a nightmare????

Overnight lows of -3 meaning winter greens are a certainty and gusts of 38mph to accompany the 25mph winds.

I'll pass!

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Overnight lows of -3 meaning winter greens are a certainty and gusts of 38mph to accompany the 25mph winds.

I'll pass!

Nip along to Wellsgreen use their bays fitted with the tracer. Get the swing going and see what your stats are. 

Disser Pointon
7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'll pass!

playing the open at Winterfield on Sunday, hoping the big greens make it. 

John mcCartney

im there as well chief,gonna be effing cold with  the wind in from the east.......see how it all transpires,might even be off with em snow showers and temperatures n stuff

Went to the club to put in an entry for the matchplay and have a hit in the nets.    Entered the matchplay and did not have a hit in the nets.      ****ing arctic wind.      

Tell me.. what grip do I use again?     I can't remember.      :(

hmfc_liam06

Such a contrast to last year where it was fairly mild all winter. I managed out every week pretty much. I’ve had 3 rounds this year, 2 coming in the first two weeks in January. 

Disser Pointon
13 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

im there as well chief,gonna be effing cold with  the wind in from the east.......see how it all transpires,might even be off with em snow showers and temperatures n stuff

What time you off mate, we're 8 and 8.10. Think it will be on with the forecast but as you say not for the faint hearted!! I don't mind get layered up actually as long as it stays dry. 

John mcCartney

a different era from you chief,im 1.30 in the avo

your fecking brave at that time,if you aint used to the cold march east coast wind on the coast then get your insulated what nots on !!!!
unfortunately the  revamped bbc weather site has a rolling prediction goin on and dunbar seems to be at the epicentre of a lot of whiteness for most of the day tomora
lets hope it aint gonna be as bad as it looks

Disser Pointon
1 minute ago, John mcCartney said:

a different era from you chief,im 1.30 in the avo

your fecking brave at that time,if you aint used to the cold march east coast wind on the coast then get your insulated what nots on !!!!
unfortunately the  revamped bbc weather site has a rolling prediction goin on and dunbar seems to be at the epicentre of a lot of whiteness for most of the day tomora
lets hope it aint gonna be as bad as it looks

I'm made of stern stuff.......and good quality skins!! No snow on my forecast, fingers crossed. 

HeinzTomatoSoup

I am looking to take up golf and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what clubs to buy etc?

there is just too much choice I don’t know what is best for a beginner and how much I should be spending etc. 

Thanks

20 minutes ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

I am looking to take up golf and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what clubs to buy etc?

there is just too much choice I don’t know what is best for a beginner and how much I should be spending etc. 

Thanks

Second hand irons and woods.   As cheap as possible but in decent condition with good grips.     There's no point spending a lot until later when you've been playing for a bit.    You can probably get some decent second hand bats for about £50 or so.

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Second hand irons and woods.   As cheap as possible but in decent condition with good grips.     There's no point spending a lot until later when you've been playing for a bit.    You can probably get some decent second hand bats for about £50 or so.

This. Learn the basics and decide if you actually like the game before splashing cash on decent gear.

hmfc_liam06
On 3/16/2018 at 13:35, Samuel Camazzola said:

Nip along to Wellsgreen use their bays fitted with the tracer. Get the swing going and see what your stats are. 

Actually had planned on going if the weather was shit, so made it along today.

Wish I hadn't bothered. I hate the range, I over analyse and tweak far too much. I also hate hitting off a mat and using those stupid rubber tees that are never a suitable height.

Yeah, I really don't like it :lol:

1 hour ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Thanks

Clubs 4 cash out Straiton way do second hand clubs and will have something in your price range plus you can see before you buy.

The day he last won a comp was the day Palmer died ... wow! 

Another thing ... that twist face technology seems shite, they were all over the place!!

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Actually had planned on going if the weather was shit, so made it along today.

Wish I hadn't bothered. I hate the range, I over analyse and tweak far too much. I also hate hitting off a mat and using those stupid rubber tees that are never a suitable height.

Yeah, I really don't like it :lol:

I've been fortunate enough to use the range at the R&A's research department at Kingsbarns and the quality of mat they have to play off is another level compared to standard ones found at the range. Regular tees can be inserted into them so no need to use the big chunky rubber efforts. Their mats have a realistic feel to them too. 

HeinzTomatoSoup
10 hours ago, Victorian said:

10 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

This. Learn the basics and decide if you actually like the game before splashing cash on decent gear.

Although i would class myself as a beginner, i have played the game before when i was younger but its been 7 years since i last had a round of golf. 

I went into American Golf and they showed me beginner package sets but they look a bit naff.

My mate who is a keen golfer and has handicap 2 advised me to get either Mizuno JPX, Taylor made M2 or Titleist ap1 which have cavity backs for easy htting. The irons for these are £700 alone.

Its just whether i should be spending over a grand on my first set of clubs but feel i may out grow the 'beginner' sets quickly.

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've been fortunate enough to use the range at the R&A's research department at Kingsbarns and the quality of mat they have to play off is another level compared to standard ones found at the range. Regular tees can be inserted into them so no need to use the big chunky rubber efforts. Their mats have a realistic feel to them too. 

I kept catching the mat just before the ball as well which, if it's grass it's a slightly fat shot but on the mat the club face just bounces off it.

I left more worried about my game than when I arrived! Hopefully get a couple of rounds in this weekend before the season starts on the 31st.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I kept catching the mat just before the ball as well which, if it's grass it's a slightly fat shot but on the mat the club face just bounces off it.

I left more worried about my game than when I arrived! Hopefully get a couple of rounds in this weekend before the season starts on the 31st.

Yeah that's the problem with the range for me. Fat shots are my achilles' heel, but they are far less destructive off mats so you don't get a real feel for how bad the shot was.

Just now, Barack said:

There are other clubs out there that are cavity backed (if that’s what you want) for a fraction. 

Not quite sure what your mate’s on, suggesting spunking £700 on irons, before you even get to a putter & a driver. 

I just bought Titleist AP1’s last year from AG, as had the same old set of irons for 10 years, after I started back up after a 5 year break.

Cost me £170. They’re phenomenal. 

Look around. Internet, Local pro shop’s with ranges, etc. You’ll more than likely get back into it quickly enough, even though you’ve been away, as you’ll have muscle memory of a swing. Doubt you’ll be hacking around 120. 

There’s low handicapper’s on here, who’ve already advocated not spending fortunes. They’re correct.

Six years on, I'm still using a second hand set of Callaway X12s that I picked up for £80. :D

12 hours ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Thanks

Another should for Cash 4 Clubs.  I went there recently after a few shouts on here and they were amazing, I even returned with another alteration and the service was unreal.

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah that's the problem with the range for me. Fat shots are my achilles' heel, but they are far less destructive off mats so you don't get a real feel for how bad the shot was.

I'm the opposite, I find the club bounces and twists leading to a whole range of terrible shots.

The better weather can't come quick enough.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm the opposite, I find the club bounces and twists leading to a whole range of terrible shots.

The better weather can't come quick enough.

I find that if I chunk a shot in real life, especially if the course is wet, I can lose 50% off my distance (depending on the club I was hitting). At the range it'll usually only knock 10-20% off.

Interesting to read opinons regarding 'fat' shots,  etc.    Mats definitely disguise some slightly mis-hit shots through bounce.       On the course,  I'm a big believer in ground conditions having a large input into a golfer's hitting.      A scientific explanation may well shed light on the specifics but I have always held the view that there are ideal ( and less ideal ) conditions for me.      I seem to be most comfortable hitting from very firm / hard ground with a decent grass covering.      Much less confident of getting a good strike in certain heavy or claggy conditions with bare grass.

3 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Had anyone got a laser range finder that they might consider selling? 

Got one, you won’t regret it, best golf purchase I’ve made . 

5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Another shout out for Cash 4 Clubs.  I went there recently after a few shouts on here and they were amazing, I even returned with another alteration and the service was unreal.

Disser Pointon

Outing at Craigielaw this Saturday, will be my first hit for weeks so not expecting too much. Be nice just to get out though. 

HeinzTomatoSoup
9 hours ago, Barack said:

There are other clubs out there that are cavity backed (if that’s what you want) for a fraction. 

Not quite sure what your mate’s on, suggesting spunking £700 on irons, before you even get to a putter & a driver. 

I just bought Titleist AP1’s last year from AG, as had the same old set of irons for 10 years, after I started back up after a 5 year break.

Cost me £170. They’re phenomenal. 

Look around. Internet, Local pro shop’s with ranges, etc. You’ll more than likely get back into it quickly enough, even though you’ve been away, as you’ll have muscle memory of a swing. Doubt you’ll be hacking around 120. 

There’s low handicapper’s on here, who’ve already advocated not spending fortunes. They’re correct.

So I went into a different American Golf from the one I went to yesterday and the guy seemed more helpful and gave better advice I think.

As I’m 6ft 4 he was saying I am best getting measured and clubs fitted as 2nd hand clubs and pre packaged clubs won’t fit properly. 

He also said I didn’t have to buy full set of irons and could almost get a half set if I was keen to keep coat down.

What do you guys reckon? Think I should get measured then keep a look out for 2nd hand clubs that suit my length?

Cheers

Yeah if you're that tall then it would be better to get longer than standard length clubs.     That's not fitted of course.     There's no harm at all in going with a half set.    In fact lots of people would argue it's better because you learn to play with control and finesse.     If you stick with it and become better and more consistent then that's when to consider more expensive gear and going to be custom fitted.

1 hour ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

So I went into a different American Golf from the one I went to yesterday and the guy seemed more helpful and gave better advice I think.

As I’m 6ft 4 he was saying I am best getting measured and clubs fitted as 2nd hand clubs and pre packaged clubs won’t fit properly. 

He also said I didn’t have to buy full set of irons and could almost get a half set if I was keen to keep coat down.

What do you guys reckon? Think I should get measured then keep a look out for 2nd hand clubs that suit my length?

Cheers

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PING-i5-Irons-3-PW-DYNAMIC-GOLD-S400-SHAFTS-1-2-INCH-LONGER/232476373674?hash=item3620abf2aa:g:O2UAAOSwOuRZrS0~

Id go for something like this, already lengthened.

Samuel Camazzola
23 hours ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Thanks

Plenty good advice you've had here. Hopefully it hasn't confused you. :lol:

If you start playing regularly and intend to stick at it, my advice would be to see a pro to find a couple of wedges and a putter that's right for you. These are the clubs you'll always use the most so it'll pay to invest attention (and not necessarily a lot of money) on getting the correct lofts, gapping, bounce and grips. 

A £10 putter may be the one for you as its all about preference and what feels right for your stroke. For wedges, the market is full of loads of premium soft metal clubs at a range of prices. Vokey wedges are one of the market leaders and one of the highest priced products. Cleveland are highly regarded and often come out with offers and incentives. 

Good luck with getting back into the game and don't be afraid to speak to the pro at the closest club to you. He may be able advise on what approach you should take at this stage and what price to pay when just taking up golf again. 

HeinzTomatoSoup

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I’ll tske it all on board. 

Reckon I’ll go get American Golf to tell me what extra length I’d need then gauge it from there and maybe get a 2nd hand set of eBay. 

23 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Had anyone got a laser range finder that they might consider selling? 

20 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Got one, you won’t regret it, best golf purchase I’ve made . 

I'm also wanting one but they are SOOOOOOO expensive :(  There was one on Groupon recently, £150 and the YouTube reviews were very decent.

58 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I'm also wanting one but they are SOOOOOOO expensive :(  There was one on Groupon recently, £150 and the YouTube reviews were very decent.

Worth every penny, I got a basic bushnell one for 189 or so, I think I had a voucher to use so put it towards that. Buy one ,mate ?

hmfc_liam06

Anyone going to the golf show this weekend? We're headed on Saturday and hoping to get a round in afterwards.

Any recommendations for a decent course Glasgow way? Never played over there before. Was looking at Douglas Park.

Disser Pointon

Couldn't do without my laser, great for getting yardages on bunkers etc on new courses and the only time they fall down is on blind shots but I have a Garmin watch as back up in my bag if needed.

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Worth every penny, I got a basic bushnell one for 189 or so, I think I had a voucher to use so put it towards that. Buy one ,mate ?

I should maybe wait and try to scoop some vouchers like you do every season!!

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone going to the golf show this weekend? We're headed on Saturday and hoping to get a round in afterwards.

Any recommendations for a decent course Glasgow way? Never played over there before. Was looking at Douglas Park.

Yeah I'm heading through on Saturday too. Got Burntisland, Duns and Dunkeld & Birnam as our 3 picks.

Never played any weegie courses either so can't help there.

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah I'm heading through on Saturday too. Got Burntisland, Duns and Dunkeld & Birnam as our 3 picks.

Never played any weegie courses either so can't help there.

Nice one. Got Duns as part of mine. Played Burntisland and D&B before, nice courses, D&B very quirky in places!

Heading through on Friday with the boy, it's usually quieter ... mind and take loads of change!!

How about Wishaw?  I enjoyed it last year even though I got pumped in the Titleist knockout comp.

Edited by Armageddon

hmfc_liam06
39 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Heading through on Friday with the boy, it's usually quieter ... mind and take loads of change!!

How about Wishaw?  I enjoyed it last year even though I got pumped in the Titleist knockout comp.

Looks like they have a competition on this Sat, booked out. It's probably a bit away too, we'll be coming/going the M80. 

Looking at Douglas Park, Crow Wood, or Dullatur.

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looks like they have a competition on this Sat, booked out. It's probably a bit away too, we'll be coming/going the M80. 

Looking at Douglas Park, Crow Wood, or Dullatur.

I visited Cawder years ago and it was a good set up. It may be one for when the season is in full swing with it being parkland though.