Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Another Club Championship qualifying this weekend.. 1 round on Gullane No.2 and then in the afternoon Gullane No.1 ... Should be fun but I hope this weather gets better.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another Club Championship qualifying this weekend.. 1 round on Gullane No.2 and then in the afternoon Gullane No.1 ... Should be fun but I hope this weather gets better.

That was crap yesterday, I'm sore all over and a bit sunburnt... I'm getting too old for 2 rounds.. or maybe i'm too round for 2 rounds.. never mind...

Shot my worst score on No 2 for years... I was honestly, rubbish.... :angry:

scots civil war

chin up big smak

was on the the hallowed links of muirfield tonight to watch some of the british amatuer in the strokeplay stages...definitely inspiring although i clocked a fair few chunks and tantrums from some of the competitors.....worth a visit for sure

brilliant to see everything up so close and had a chat with ken ****ing brown !!! his son was playing of course...nice bloke actually

off to dunbar on saturday for the traprain law bowls comp,looking forward to it

The Mighty Thor

Finally starting to find a bit of form this year. Had a cheeky wee 74 off the medals at Dunbar yesterday, 2 lost balls in a 41 out and back in 33 with a 2,3,3 finish.

Really looking forward to July now with a weekender in Dumfrieshire & the start of the Ladies Cup and the Haldane cup down at Bigsmak's gaff.

Finally starting to find a bit of form this year. Had a cheeky wee 74 off the medals at Dunbar yesterday, 2 lost balls in a 41 out and back in 33 with a 2,3,3 finish.

Really looking forward to July now with a weekender in Dumfrieshire & the start of the Ladies Cup and the Haldane cup down at Bigsmak's gaff.

nice one, good score.

i stuck by my taylor made R7 (too tight to buy something else) and am now hitting it like a good 'un.

it's always a source of amazement how easy the game becomes in the real summer conditions. it's all in the napper i reckon.

The Mighty Thor

nice one, good score.

i stuck by my taylor made R7 (too tight to buy something else) and am now hitting it like a good 'un.

it's always a source of amazement how easy the game becomes in the real summer conditions. it's all in the napper i reckon.

It's definitely all between the ears! It's also true that it's a much easier game when you aren't togged up like an arctic explorer! hopefully the weather stays fair for the summer, i could do with getting all the bloody 0.1's back!

It's definitely all between the ears! It's also true that it's a much easier game when you aren't togged up like an arctic explorer! hopefully the weather stays fair for the summer, i could do with getting all the bloody 0.1's back!

yeah too right. i've shipped 3 of them from 7 medal rounds myself. all the damage can be repaired by one half decent round though.

yes it's great to have the sun on your back, firm ground, nice covering of grass, even greens, no howling wind.

i'm emigrating i think.

The Mighty Thor

yeah too right. i've shipped 3 of them from 7 medal rounds myself. all the damage can be repaired by one half decent round though.

I've had 5 in 6 medal rounds this year, 3 of them missed the buffer by 1 :verymad:

Still onwards and upwards and looking forward to tomorrow's midweek medal to start the comeback! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

have any of you golf fans tried a Cobra X Speed Pro S (or D)?

i've been digging around on t'internet for info about drivers and this one's got a bit of a name for being long. you have to have quite a rapid swing speed to get the best out of it by all accounts... that's right up my street.

cheers.

Where's Wally

i've been digging around on t'internet for info about drivers and this one's got a bit of a name for being long. you have to have quite a rapid swing speed to get the best out of it by all accounts... that's right up my street.

cheers.

I've hit a TaylorMade R540 for several years and trialled the Cobra a couple of weeks ago. I hit the club with different shafts and it's undoubtedly a nice club, but....

...I hit an 8.5 degree TM driver. The (2 year old) TM distance stilled surpassed the Cobra by about 15-20 yards. The 10 degree and above flew way to high a ball flight and wasn't for me.

I'm also a fast swinger :-)

If you are on Twitter, I've started following Jeff Ritter who gives some great tips / videos all the time. I think he is spot on. http://twitter.com/JeffRitterGolf

Here is a list of other golfers that are the 'best' to follow!

http://www.bunkershot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5047&Itemid=161

cink has over a million followers!

Cyprus Jambo

cheers.

V, I'm sure it is a Cobra X Speed Pro S I have. Got it last year when I went and got custom fitted (Kurt Mungall - Lothianburn GC - I'd recommend him for anyone going for custom fittings) clubs. Took me a few rounds to get used to it, found out I had to put the tee higher. Anyway, I hit it a lot straighter and gained a good 20-30 yards with it. Start of season was 11.5 handicap and after 2 really good medals in teh sapce of 8 days I'm now 8.5 and it's all to do with me being on the fairway or semi rough and being able to play my second shot without being in the jungle somewhere. It's a 10.5 degree but can't remember the shaft as it's not a normal one. Can check tonight if required.

CJ

I've hit a TaylorMade R540 for several years and trialled the Cobra a couple of weeks ago. I hit the club with different shafts and it's undoubtedly a nice club, but....

...I hit an 8.5 degree TM driver. The (2 year old) TM distance stilled surpassed the Cobra by about 15-20 yards. The 10 degree and above flew way to high a ball flight and wasn't for me.

I'm also a fast swinger :-)

cheers WW. sounds like it's the different lofts that's the reason why you haven't benefited from the cobra. it's hard to make a comparison i suppose when one is 8.5 and the other 10.0

V, I'm sure it is a Cobra X Speed Pro S I have. Got it last year when I went and got custom fitted (Kurt Mungall - Lothianburn GC - I'd recommend him for anyone going for custom fittings) clubs. Took me a few rounds to get used to it, found out I had to put the tee higher. Anyway, I hit it a lot straighter and gained a good 20-30 yards with it. Start of season was 11.5 handicap and after 2 really good medals in teh sapce of 8 days I'm now 8.5 and it's all to do with me being on the fairway or semi rough and being able to play my second shot without being in the jungle somewhere. It's a 10.5 degree but can't remember the shaft as it's not a normal one. Can check tonight if required.

CJ

cheers CJ. good to hear. i'm thinking of getting one.

as far as the shaft is concerned i don't think this particular cobra model is available with a regular shaft. as far as i'm aware it's either a stiff shaft or an 'x' shaft.

i read somewhere that it's the type of shaft on it that requires the player to have a swing speed over a certain level. the 's' version stands for shallow face and the 'd' for deep face... i presume.

if i'm going to get one i'm probably going to go for a straighter face than the standard 10 degree - 10.5 degree. these hard conditions are just crying out for a low draw.

Where's Wally

cheers CJ. good to hear. i'm thinking of getting one.

as far as the shaft is concerned i don't think this particular cobra model is available with a regular shaft. as far as i'm aware it's either a stiff shaft or an 'x' shaft.

i read somewhere that it's the type of shaft on it that requires the player to have a swing speed over a certain level. the 's' version stands for shallow face and the 'd' for deep face... i presume.

if i'm going to get one i'm probably going to go for a straighter face than the standard 10 degree - 10.5 degree. these hard conditions are just crying out for a low draw.

Drop Cobra an email and enquire about any upcoming demo days that they might have. Even if the demo isn't open to the public (it may be a trade day for local pro's) I'm sure they'll be happy to invite you along to try out the club.

They'll probably have a rep at the Loch Lomond event and/or The Open. Certainly on the Tues/Weds practice days.

As an aside, I still think that the Taylor Made R540 is as good a driver that there is, even although the technology is nigh-on 3 years old.

The Mighty Thor

Just back from a boys weekend away in Dumfries-shire. I'm a broken man! :(

95 net 88 in the Colvend GC Gents Open, starting with an 11 after 3 snap hooks off the tee (a 3 wood, then a 5 wood, then a 5 iron) and then had everything from a birdie 3 to an 11 with the exception of a 10. The only saving grace was it was reductions only for visitors.

We then played it again today in 60mph gusts and rain that resembled the output of a Karcher power-washer. The Galvin Greens got a thorough work out.

Fecking stupid game :(

scots civil war

thats pretty grim,and your off single figure as well arent you ?

well,east lothian was rather windy yesterday....the glen was a three club wind and longniddry was two club at times

not very good scoring altho played some great shots like driver off the deck x4,holing bunker shots,30ft putts canned

but its my driving that lets me down....doing my effing head in

anybody been to the kings acre fitting centre??? positive results with your game,with the right fittings?

ive found that my black dot ping irons are too upright for me and might have to change,also im not sure about the type of shaft on my driver now

reverted back to my reg shaft g5 10.5deg from stiff g10 9deg....getting the same results tho,inconsistent direction and very low ball flight...

back to the drawing board scenario

Drop Cobra an email and enquire about any upcoming demo days that they might have. Even if the demo isn't open to the public (it may be a trade day for local pro's) I'm sure they'll be happy to invite you along to try out the club.

They'll probably have a rep at the Loch Lomond event and/or The Open. Certainly on the Tues/Weds practice days.

As an aside, I still think that the Taylor Made R540 is as good a driver that there is, even although the technology is nigh-on 3 years old.

i put a bid in for a cobra speed pro on ebay which i didn't get. i have however just secured a rather promising TM tour burner for ?64 :thumbsup: . i tried a burner a while back and i got the impression it was long.

now choking on it arriving so i can get out and try it.

The Mighty Thor

thats pretty grim,and your off single figure as well arent you ?

Yip. i'm off 7.

I've not long had a lesson (first one in years) and as the old saying goes the driving range is the place to tinker and not the golf course witha medal card in your hand.

I'm sure it will all come good as i hit a lot of really good golf shots in amongst the utter garbage i played

Andyeyespy

Ive been playing golf coming up a year in september. Anyone fancy a game sometime on either Craigentinny, Carrick Knowes, Silverknowes or the Braids. I have a season ticket and can get you on for ?9 anytime at the weekdays or after 3pm on the weekends. Ive not got a handicap but reckon i play off maybe 18 or 19 fromn what ive been told so nothing to worry about lads :thumbsup:

i put a bid in for a cobra speed pro on ebay which i didn't get. i have however just secured a rather promising TM tour burner for ?64 :thumbsup: . i tried a burner a while back and i got the impression it was long.

now choking on it arriving so i can get out and try it.

initial 36 hole review of this driver - undecided.

the head of this driver seems noticeably heavier than most drivers. i recently tried an older generation burner and the head wasn't quite as heavy. this could easily throw out the timing in the swing therefore it will take a little getting used to. it was very hard to tell at the weekend (rain and then mental wind) if it was longer / shorter / the same as my current r7. the 9.5 degree face and strong shaft (aldila 85 stiff) combined to produce a lower flight and therefore less carry... perhaps not to be used when the ground gets heavy. i'm not sure i like this heavier shaft as i'm used to the characteristics of the r7 which has the standard TM mitsibushi rayon shaft which is lighter and requires less 'oomph' to get going.

overall i'm not all that confident this driver will be any use except when the ground is hard pan and you get lots of run.

moral of the story... beware of arseing about with clubs and shelling out hard cash when you already have a great driver.

Cyprus Jambo

The wind was havoc on Sunday, worst I went round in a while. In slight draw or fade was dealt with severly if wind was in the same direction. Still enjoying my cobra though - played Kings Acre on Tuesday, last hole 345 yards (wind slightly behind) and 2 feet from the green. I'd say my average is 270 so this has to be my best ever.

PS - its the Cobra LD S I have.

For those of you who like to try testing courses and if you are up north (moray) you have to try Moray golf club (old & new courses)at Lossiemouth its a must heres a wee sneak preview, http://www.moraygolf.co.uk/moray-video.php also theres the 5 day Moray Open next week 19th - 23rd july about 350 competitors from all over the UK and further afield take part, me included lol

• 3 weeks later...
Gerd Muller

there is a green fee saver in the sunday mail this morning. gonna send it away. looking for reccomdations of good/excellent courses in the dundee area or edinburgh area please?

grumpy rebus

there is a green fee saver in the sunday mail this morning. gonna send it away. looking for reccomdations of good/excellent courses in the dundee area or edinburgh area please?

Do you include St Andrews in the Dundee area? Crail is worth a go if you like links golf, as is Kings Barns. The Dukes is ok, but long. The two courses at the Fairmont are both decent. A bit further afield, but Lundin Links is worth the trip (and you could play Leven Links too if you felt like 36)

Scotscraig is supposed to be good without being too pricey, but never played it myself.

Nearer Edinburgh, Aberdour is nice, but the back 9 is a bit bland and short. Burntisland is tricky but worth a go.

Only good course I've played within the city is Prestonfield. Personally prefer heading down East Lothian, then you are spoilt.

harping back to drivers for a bit...

the second hand TM tour burner i got off ebay is now paying dividends. clearly longer off the tee than the R7 i also have. took a bit of getting used to but it now goes with a penetrating flight and can be worked both ways. the draw produced is a far better gentle draw than the huge draw produced by the R7 (which i now think may have been counter-productive in terms of distance). it's fitted with a non-standard stiff aldila nv85 shaft therefore i can't say whether it's the head or the shaft that makes the club.

be on the lookout for a well priced tour burner and/or drivers with this nv85 shaft. could be well worth your while.

Sex Panther

It looks like i'll be buying a coucil season ticket with a view to possibly joining Lochend GC @ Craigentinny. Any idea if i still have to pay anything on top of the ?375 for the ST?

I want to get a handicap and then try to reduce it and think this coupled with a few lessons is the way forward?

It looks like i'll be buying a coucil season ticket with a view to possibly joining Lochend GC @ Craigentinny. Any idea if i still have to pay anything on top of the ?375 for the ST?

I want to get a handicap and then try to reduce it and think this coupled with a few lessons is the way forward?

mate it's a false economy in the current climate of golf club membership.

for not much more dough you could join any number of private clubs, many of which have scrapped their entry fees amid dwindling membership numbers.

why shell out for a council ST and play a tip like craigy when you can join a professionally maintained course?

phone around.

Sex Panther

Thanks for replying Vic, much appreciated. :thumbs_up:

I chose this route for a few reasons.

I'm not very good, I've recently played a couple of Stableford outings using a handicap of around 22-25 which I think is pretty accurate. I'd hope to try memberships at private courses once I get down to at least high teens.

I'm pretty much equi-distant from Silverknowes and Craigentinny(which I last played about a month ago, and its in the best shape I've ever seen it)

I play every Sat morning with my mates on the various council courses.

I understand its a lot easier to to join private courses just now, but was of the understanding that I'd still be looking at c?600 a year. Would you still find players with handicaps as high as mine on private courses?

I'm not very good, I've recently played a couple of Stableford outings using a handicap of around 22-25 which I think is pretty accurate. I'd hope to try memberships at private courses once I get down to at least high teens.

I'm pretty much equi-distant from Silverknowes and Craigentinny(which I last played about a month ago, and its in the best shape I've ever seen it)

I understand its a lot easier to to join private courses just now, but was of the understanding that I'd still be looking at c?600 a year. Would you still find players with handicaps as high as mine on private courses?

hello again SP.

regarding looking to improve before you join a private club, that's a very good attitude to have compared to a lot of golfers i see coming into my club. it's also the fault of the club but the knowledge of the rules and basic etiquette is severely lacking these days. in an ideal world a golf club should be looking at someone's understanding of both before they allow membership however with clubs being hard pressed i can see why this is overlooked. it's also a refreshing attitude in terms of you hoping to play off a more realistic handicap rather than the many golfers i have seen who are quite happy to maintain a high handicap. i happen to agree with the school of thought that suggests that the maximum handicap allowed should be 18. it would encourage keen golfers to work on their game in order to become competitive, rather than allowing them to compete on an overly comfortable basis without any effort on their part.

there are indeed players in private clubs with 20+ handicaps. more than you might imagine. the maximum allowed being 28.

it is more money as you say however i can assure you it will be more than worth it compared to the council courses.

have a look at the swanston gc website. they have introduced a range of memberships, some of which are very reasonable indeed.

grumpy rebus

You'll find that a significant number of club golfers play off 20+, and as Victorian says, etiquette and knowledge of the rules are at least as important. I reckon you'll find some decent clubs offering good deals on membership at the moment. Merchants (up at Craiglochart - I've never played it, but it looks hilly) were doing some good deals for a while.

Sex Panther

Cheers guys, I still think i'll start with the Council courses as they are the most local to me (I stay on the dark side of Edinburgh) and look at private courses once I'm happier with my game.

I appreciate what you say about etiquette and think I have a good enough grasp of it generally. I guess it would just be around competitions that I would need to develop it a touch more, but I'll cross that bridge before coming to it. :thumbsup:

Cheers guys, I still think i'll start with the Council courses as they are the most local to me (I stay on the dark side of Edinburgh) and look at private courses once I'm happier with my game.

I appreciate what you say about etiquette and think I have a good enough grasp of it generally. I guess it would just be around competitions that I would need to develop it a touch more, but I'll cross that bridge before coming to it. :thumbsup:

I know that the council courses sometimes have clubs associated with them and play medals with each other. When you play, ask the people in front / behind you / the starters etc.. I think some of the clubs only charge ?30 a year (but you don;t get to play for free with that but they can get you a handicap)

Guess The Crowd

harping back to drivers for a bit...

the second hand TM tour burner i got off ebay is now paying dividends. clearly longer off the tee than the R7 i also have. took a bit of getting used to but it now goes with a penetrating flight and can be worked both ways. the draw produced is a far better gentle draw than the huge draw produced by the R7 (which i now think may have been counter-productive in terms of distance). it's fitted with a non-standard stiff aldila nv85 shaft therefore i can't say whether it's the head or the shaft that makes the club.

be on the lookout for a well priced tour burner and/or drivers with this nv85 shaft. could be well worth your while.

That's useful advice thanks. I'm also an R7 user slightly struggling this year for distance.

The guy I played with yesterday had a driver with a maroon-coloured head that looked like a Wilson Staff but was actually also an R7 I think. I forgot to get further details from him but it looked a good club, does anyone know what model this would be?

Definitely a good idea getting a season ticket. You have a choice of 6 different courses all well looked after. The guy who said craigy is a tip obviously aint been there in a while. Now a well looked after course indeed...... Why join a private golf course and restrict yourself to just that one. :thumbsup:

hello again SP.

regarding looking to improve before you join a private club, that's a very good attitude to have compared to a lot of golfers i see coming into my club. it's also the fault of the club but the knowledge of the rules and basic etiquette is severely lacking these days. in an ideal world a golf club should be looking at someone's understanding of both before they allow membership however with clubs being hard pressed i can see why this is overlooked. it's also a refreshing attitude in terms of you hoping to play off a more realistic handicap rather than the many golfers i have seen who are quite happy to maintain a high handicap. i happen to agree with the school of thought that suggests that the maximum handicap allowed should be 18. it would encourage keen golfers to work on their game in order to become competitive, rather than allowing them to compete on an overly comfortable basis without any effort on their part.

there are indeed players in private clubs with 20+ handicaps. more than you might imagine. the maximum allowed being 28.

it is more money as you say however i can assure you it will be more than worth it compared to the council courses.

have a look at the swanston gc website. they have introduced a range of memberships, some of which are very reasonable indeed.

There is as many golfers who have high handicaps on private courses as there is on council courses. THIS GUY IS DELUDED... I play alongside some very very good golfers on these courses and etiquette is always at the highest standard. Most these comments are from golfers who can talk the talk but very rarely walk the walk. :down:

There is as many golfers who have high handicaps on private courses as there is on council courses. THIS GUY IS DELUDED... I play alongside some very very good golfers on these courses and etiquette is always at the highest standard. Most these comments are from golfers who can talk the talk but very rarely walk the walk. :down:

:rofl:

that's me laughing at you. top tip - have some understanding of what people are discussing prior to putting your foot in it. you will sometimes avoid making a fool of yourself.

Just me back promoting my club, lol especially to you keen golfers who like to take a wee break playing different courses you have to try Moray golf club out . Don`t know what you lot pay for a year but at ?400 a year for two quality courses is crackin value.

mhtml:http://87.248.114.8/ya/securedownload?clean=0&fid=Inbox&mid=1_137707_AOFz%2BFcAACqYTGue4AFBhx77CIY&pid=2&tnef=&prefFilename=PGATOUR_COM+-+Classic+links+and+whisky+the+perfect+mix.mht&redirectURL=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.mc871.mail.yahoo.com%2Fmc%2FshowMessage%3Fcmd%3Ddownload.failure%26fid%3DInbox%26mid%3D1_137707_AOFz%252BFcAACqYTGue4AFBhx77CIY%26pid%3D2%26tnef%3D%26prefFilename%3DPGATOUR_COM%2B-%2BClassic%2Blinks%2Band%2Bwhisky%2Bthe%2Bperfect%2Bmix.mht&view=none&cb=parent.attachmentFail&cred=ZOKGkVL3CArvN0S5HRr2uRKrDJLH4k4TtkEAl51H0NAZDqd6XW503QFn2Ri06b4jGz_QMgqXkrzE6o._P8UEAvPd0RA8pEHsWx40SciUzhvTj5hZ3oDTId8gM78nfFU-&ts=1282129857&partner=ymail&sig=6kpM4GM_JBv5bR7sY0LcIQ--

Just me back promoting my club, lol especially to you keen golfers who like to take a wee break playing different courses you have to try Moray golf club out . Don`t know what you lot pay for a year but at ?400 a year for two quality courses is crackin value.

http://www.pgatour.com/2010/tourlife/travel/08/12/cow/index.html

Made a right baz up of the last post tried to edit it but have no permission to do so (strange)lol

Hi guys,

Just a quick one. Myself and a group of mates are heading to Newcastle in September. The original plan was to take in the Newcastle-Stoke game (a cracker...) but since the game's been moved back to the Sunday for TV, that idea is now out! So we were thinking of a couple rounds of golf instead.

Does anyone have any recommendations of decent courses in the Newcastle area which aren't too steep price wise? Any suggestions would be very helpful. We're all between 15 and 25 in handicap, so capable enough!

Cheers

Try Dunstanborough Castle. Great little links course with one of the best par 3s you will play. Its about 30 mins north of Newcastle.

Try Dunstanborough Castle. Great little links course with one of the best par 3s you will play. Its about 30 mins north of Newcastle.

Looks great, we'll look at booking a tee time! Thanks

Cyprus Jambo

This is what you golfers should try out next year, just try it the once and you`ll get hooked and you`ll be back for more. I have mentioned it on a earlier post about it lol.

http://www.moraygolf...-open-video.php

Can't open it at work but have a mate in Cyprus who comes over to play in it every year (originally from Lossie) and he's dragged along a few others. They have a great time.

Hi guys,

Just a quick one. Myself and a group of mates are heading to Newcastle in September. The original plan was to take in the Newcastle-Stoke game (a cracker...) but since the game's been moved back to the Sunday for TV, that idea is now out! So we were thinking of a couple rounds of golf instead.

Does anyone have any recommendations of decent courses in the Newcastle area which aren't too steep price wise? Any suggestions would be very helpful. We're all between 15 and 25 in handicap, so capable enough!

Cheers

try the gosforth park at the racecourse

Where's Wally

Nike Golf Balls - There seems to be loads of different variants.

I've gathered (or found) about a dozen different types. Are they actually any good?

Been hitting the Taylor Made ball this season. Up there with the Pro V1 IMHO. I'm playing well, so maybe it's the ball, hehe!

Medal this afternoon... And on Saturday.. I've been playing that stupid golf game WGT a lot so am expecting a 64 or something like that.. lol.. Should be fun, weather looks like it might stop raining in time... Wind is OK..

Gullane No.1 ... I'm coming to get you (be nice please)

Just thought I would add this. Its an e-mail from Gullane Golf Club to all its members today.

I refer to previous notices regarding Pace of Play and with immediate effect from the September medals players who do not complete their round within a ten minute cushion of the adopted R&A benchmark times (which are noted below) and outwith 10 minutes of the group in front may for the first infringement incur a sanction of a yellow card and will be notified of this by the Secretary. Players who receive two yellow cards within a six month rolling period will receive a red card and an automatic ban from monthly medals in the subsequent two months.

Players may appeal a yellow card by contacting the Secretary in writing, e-mail or in person at the Secretary?s office to put their individual or group?s case.

The Pace of Play in medal rounds has been recorded for several months and whilst there has been a slight improvement the Committee are determined to make every effort to adhere to the adopted benchmark times.

? Two ball (medal) 3 hrs 10 mins plus a ten minute cushion

? Three ball (medal) 3 hrs 30 mins plus a ten minute cushion

Do you think the club is right to do this?... Do you think the times are two quick? How long do you take for a medal on your course?

I looked on the interweb for a list of things to make your game faster.. But I thought I would just write some myself.. If you follow each of these tips, where each one saves you only 20-30 seconds.. well thats 20-30 seconds per hole per person.. that can be over 15-20 minutes a round just by changing a few simple things.

1. Mark your cards after you have tee'd off, not before.
  2. Think about your club choice when walking to the ball, don't wait till its your turn to play
  3. Always play a provisional if you think it might be lost or even hard to find
  4. Leave your bags at the side of the green closest to the next tee
  5. Just because its a par 4, don't wait till the green is cleared if you can't make it with your 2nd shot.. We can't all hit 280yrd approaches..
  6. Don't chit chat on the tee, you can talk all the way down the fairway

The reason my club has sent this out is that some rounds were starting to take 4 hours and over.. I think this is unacceptable for a round.

Comments?

Edited by Bigsmak

1. Mark your cards after you have tee'd off, not before.
  2. Think about your club choice when walking to the ball, don't wait till its your turn to play
  3. Always play a provisional if you think it might be lost or even hard to find
  4. Leave your bags at the side of the green closest to the next tee
  5. Just because its a par 4, don't wait till the green is cleared if you can't make it with your 2nd shot.. We can't all hit 280yrd approaches..
  6. Don't chit chat on the tee, you can talk all the way down the fairway

I'll go first then - Suggestion 2 - I thought you could get penalised form playing out of turn?

Suggestion 5 - what if it's a drivable par 4? Had a few unhappy players as my tee-shot finished 10 feet from the hole (rephrase that - my 2nd tee shot having gone out of bounds with the first, missed the putt).

Think on average, I play a 3 ball medal in 3.45 but then again my Hibee mate is slow on the tee and preparing for his shot but OK in between shots. Think this is wher speed can be improved.......so many people chat while walking slowly to the ball (more often it's the women).

PS - Haddington Golf Course, a longish course.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread