Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Gullane 3 tomorrow

Booked after checking the long range weather forecast, looks gash now

Here's how you play No. 3 (if you hit a good ball of the tee), its the only course I have shot less than 70 scratch on.

1 - Hit a long iron or 5 wood of the tee. Leaves a wedge / 9 into the green, runs away from you very fast and you can't stop the ball on it. Land it at the front just over the bunker short right.

2- par 3 simple

3 you can drive the green if you hit a good one. but hit a 3 or 4 iron of tee and simple wedge in. Green runs from right to let and back to front

4 - if your driving well, hit it hard at the flag, you might get on the green. Just try to get as far up the hill as you can.

5. play your tee shot down the left, makes an easier approach

6 - play up the left as close to the bunker you see as you dare. The fairway runs from left to right, the green is quite tricky so try and leave the ball a little short of the hole.

7. if you feel good and 'lucky' with wind behind, hit the driver at the green. You need to get very lucky to drive it. Correct play is 3 or 4 iron down middle. Green runs away from you right to left.

8 par 3, a little further than it looks, take 1 more club.

9, make sure you are in the middle, a long iron will give an easy shot to the green. The green runs from back to front.

10 - long straight hole. em, thats it.

11. hit 1 or 2 more clubs than you think. if you are long you hit the bank at the back and run back onto the green. If you are short you are buggered. Its the worst green in Gullane so good luck with the put.

12 left to right Dog Leg. green runs from back to front a lot. play it depending on the wind, you might want to just make sure you are on the fairway rather than trying to cut the corner. deep right is BAD

13, par 3, depends on wind

14.. get out your driver. try and get on the short par 5 in 2. its fun. Green runs from left to right and back to front.

15 - fun hole. 100 ways to play it.. just make sure you hit it straight

16. drive down the left gives a better shot a the green

17 - your line is the white house (the Mallard pub) in the distance. it looks like you will be aiming too far left but it makes the approach to the green easier. There is a bunker short right. You cant stop the ball on this green, you need to bounce it just short to hold it.

18. how far are you hitting it.. A big drive will put you in the bunkers, so maybe just up the middle with a long iron for safety.

19, order beer, pick up glass, drink beer - repeat as desired.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice 4 ball at Royal Muss today, weather was great, and for a change so was the Golf !

First time I have ever played it (playing off 16), managed a 77 !! :smiley2:

i haven't been on this thread for quite some time - christ i created it!!! - i've had a gash year all told and am quite happy to see the back of the summer season.

had a couple of decent rounds in the last couple of weeks so there's some encouragement. won quite a bit of my sweep money back last week so at least i've got something back for a 'transitional season' :D

i hope others have fared better.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
i haven't been on this thread for quite some time - christ i created it!!! - i've had a gash year all told and am quite happy to see the back of the summer season.

had a couple of decent rounds in the last couple of weeks so there's some encouragement. won quite a bit of my sweep money back last week so at least i've got something back for a 'transitional season' :D

started at 6.1 end 5.9

hardly played at the start of the season due to other things

played on average once a fortnight after that, not enough to improve though

started at 6.1 end 5.9

hardly played at the start of the season due to other things

played on average once a fortnight after that, not enough to improve though

still good going to have a -0.2 for the year off 6.

i was doing ok myself but have ended up going up about 0.8 (6.5 up to 7.3) over the season of approx 16 competitions.

still it only takes a couple of good scores next year to repair the damage.

Been a great season for me .... in that I finally reached my lifetime goal of getting down to scratch .... Dont care if I rocket up the way now, at least in years to come I can bore people with my stories of the time when I was a scratch golfer!! :10900:

Been a great season for me .... in that I finally reached my lifetime goal of getting down to scratch .... Dont care if I rocket up the way now, at least in years to come I can bore people with my stories of the time when I was a scratch golfer!! :10900:

tremendous mate. it takes some effort to do going all the way through the category 1 bracket with -0.1 reductions and 1 shot buffers.

Well done..

I think i got to 4.8 starting the year around 6.3 or something so am a bit happy.

Next year I plan to get to 4.0 or lower! (Hard going playing on Gullane No 1 for this)

tremendous mate. it takes some effort to do going all the way through the category 1 bracket with -0.1 reductions and 1 shot buffers.

Cheers. You're right, it takes patience, consistency, & a very understanding missus!!! :smiley2:

Well done..

I think i got to 4.8 starting the year around 6.3 or something so am a bit happy.

Next year I plan to get to 4.0 or lower! (Hard going playing on Gullane No 1 for this)

Yup, a 5-handicap round Gullane is no mean feat!! Good effort.

I look forward to it already :hang:

Well done in getting to scratch though

Edited by Paulandshark

I look forward to it already :hang:

Well done in getting to scratch though

Heh heh .... Been a good season for you too big man....Still think I can take you giving you 15 shots tho! :10900:

14....!

Oh aye, right enuf! .... Oh well, seeing as it's 14 shots, I better give myself a fighting chance & play 2-handed next time I play you! :10900:

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Here's how you play No. 3 (if you hit a good ball of the tee), its the only course I have shot less than 70 scratch on.

1 - Hit a long iron or 5 wood of the tee. Leaves a wedge / 9 into the green, runs away from you very fast and you can't stop the ball on it. Land it at the front just over the bunker short right.

2- par 3 simple

3 you can drive the green if you hit a good one. but hit a 3 or 4 iron of tee and simple wedge in. Green runs from right to let and back to front

4 - if your driving well, hit it hard at the flag, you might get on the green. Just try to get as far up the hill as you can.

5. play your tee shot down the left, makes an easier approach

6 - play up the left as close to the bunker you see as you dare. The fairway runs from left to right, the green is quite tricky so try and leave the ball a little short of the hole.

7. if you feel good and 'lucky' with wind behind, hit the driver at the green. You need to get very lucky to drive it. Correct play is 3 or 4 iron down middle. Green runs away from you right to left.

8 par 3, a little further than it looks, take 1 more club.

9, make sure you are in the middle, a long iron will give an easy shot to the green. The green runs from back to front.

10 - long straight hole. em, thats it.

11. hit 1 or 2 more clubs than you think. if you are long you hit the bank at the back and run back onto the green. If you are short you are buggered. Its the worst green in Gullane so good luck with the put.

12 left to right Dog Leg. green runs from back to front a lot. play it depending on the wind, you might want to just make sure you are on the fairway rather than trying to cut the corner. deep right is BAD

13, par 3, depends on wind

14.. get out your driver. try and get on the short par 5 in 2. its fun. Green runs from left to right and back to front.

15 - fun hole. 100 ways to play it.. just make sure you hit it straight

16. drive down the left gives a better shot a the green

17 - your line is the white house (the Mallard pub) in the distance. it looks like you will be aiming too far left but it makes the approach to the green easier. There is a bunker short right. You cant stop the ball on this green, you need to bounce it just short to hold it.

18. how far are you hitting it.. A big drive will put you in the bunkers, so maybe just up the middle with a long iron for safety.

19, order beer, pick up glass, drink beer - repeat as desired.

fairly good description, you could make a few bob as a caddt

duck hooked one at the 3rd then made an erse of the 9th, level other than that

Just played the PGA centenary course at Gleneagles. It was almost waterlogged. Hope they sort the drainage out before the Ryder cup, otherwise it'll end up a real fiasco.

Otherwise, good fun.

The Mighty Thor

Just back home from North Berwick West after a winter league game.

I can honestly say i've never in my life played golf in conditions like that. 50mph easterly winds and constant driving rain from tee off to putting out on 18.

I was like an extra from the deadliest catch at the end.

Team got pumped overall but we managed to grind out a half in our match.

Just back home from North Berwick West after a winter league game.

I can honestly say i've never in my life played golf in conditions like that. 50mph easterly winds and constant driving rain from tee off to putting out on 18.

I was like an extra from the deadliest catch at the end.

Team got pumped overall but we managed to grind out a half in our match.

lol

I was at Gullane for a match against Cairnmount (or someone) and we called off with 5 mins to spare at 10am today. Thank feck! That was miserable out there. Nice and warm here on the Internet!

The Mighty Thor
lol

I was at Gullane for a match against Cairnmount (or someone) and we called off with 5 mins to spare at 10am today. Thank feck! That was miserable out there. Nice and warm here on the Internet!

Lucky boy. I wouldn't put the dug out in that today.

When we shook hands on 18 we all said 4 hours in that for a half?

Warming up nicely now though with a wee glass of Red and the kitchen looks like Nevada Bobs with golf gear out drying everywhere.

• 1 month later...
scots civil war

anybody playing over crimbo???

theres some comps goin on at castle park and end of january,whitekirk

ive got winter foursomes on saturday,hopefully the snows off

The Mighty Thor
anybody playing over crimbo???

theres some comps goin on at castle park and end of january,whitekirk

ive got winter foursomes on saturday,hopefully the snows off

I'm a member at castle park mate and the winter stableford every second Wednesday is good value. 16 quid for your golf soup and a hot roll.

The course is still in good nick considering the weather and you're on temp tees but full greens.

I'm sure I will be out over chrimbo at some point.

scots civil war

heard good reports about castle park,i will aim for that dec 30 date chief.sounds good

weather`s looking good for tomoro mornings game....cant wait.glen g.c on a sunny winters mornin

The Mighty Thor
heard good reports about castle park,i will aim for that dec 30 date chief.sounds good

weather`s looking good for tomoro mornings game....cant wait.glen g.c on a sunny winters mornin

You'd better phone ahead mate. Castle park is currently undergoing a slight change to it's other use, a winter sports resort. (it's under 4 inches of snow!)

Hopefully it clears soon as i'm off on holiday now until 5th Jan and i'm choking on a game. :smiliz23:

scots civil war

gasping on a game eh

whats the ground situation down east lothian then people??

can any of you oblige with a report

The Mighty Thor
gasping on a game eh

whats the ground situation down east lothian then people??

can any of you oblige with a report

Not sure about the coastal courses but there's about 8-10 inches of lying snow up on the course at Castle Park!

scots civil war

ffs eh,youll be on the piste then

cant wait for the all clear at the glen,il be down there like a rat up a drainpipe

The Mighty Thor
ffs eh,youll be on the piste then

cant wait for the all clear at the glen,il be down there like a rat up a drainpipe

I'm fecking piste off!

• 1 month later...
Miller Jambo 60

Anyone that plays in this weather is sad.

Doug

I played the new Saadiyat Island course in Abu Dhabi yesterday - 28 degrees and a nice breeze coming in off the Gulf - very nice it was too!!

I

HATE

YOU

The Mighty Thor

Was meant to be on Gullane 1 this morning but the snow/frost put paid to that. Ended up playing North Berwick which was in great nick.

Sadly the early season rustiness continues :(

scots civil war

Anyone that plays in this weather is sad.

Doug

played saturday afternoon just past,beautiful day on the seaside links and the whole course to ourselves,playing close to par

thats sad ????

have a word with yourself matey

played saturday afternoon just past,beautiful day on the seaside links and the whole course to ourselves,playing close to par

thats sad ????

have a word with yourself matey

I'm on side with SCW on this one... Golf is great.. as long as its not really windy and raining at the same time... I can play in either but both make it hard!

Working all this weekend... as usual .... and my golf is suffering!

Might manage to squeeze in 3 games this week... Wed Medal, Sat Medal and I might just play on Monday as well.. For Practice! .. OMG..

• 2 weeks later...
scots civil war

great stuff,its nearly all kicking off again eh

was going to eyemouth next week but its the derby,so the first comp of the year is april 3rd at the glen

doing all my open entries at the mo.managed to get onto the st andrews one at the jubilee course in june....any of you played there?

Gillie Wibson

cannae be arsed with the golf anymore, 3 hours plus plodding round a field is not fun anymore

going for a game just now mind which will make the average cost of a game this year ?600, not worth it

Gillie Wibson

great stuff,its nearly all kicking off again eh

was going to eyemouth next week but its the derby,so the first comp of the year is april 3rd at the glen

doing all my open entries at the mo.managed to get onto the st andrews one at the jubilee course in june....any of you played there?

do you use this?

http://www.golfempire.co.uk/county/scotland-county.htm

Gillie Wibson

cannae be arsed with the golf anymore, 3 hours plus plodding round a field is not fun anymore

going for a game just now mind which will make the average cost of a game this year ?600, not worth it

going again today (that makes it ?300 a round)

almost enjoyed last week - 4 over having not swung for 6 months

going again today (that makes it ?300 a round)

almost enjoyed last week - 4 over having not swung for 6 months

Almost enjoyed...

Golf will get you!

Also - Its more fun in the summer in the nice weather

Played the Braids yesterday , absolute howler , 104 , just cant play in the wind

Edited by broomie boy

• 2 weeks later...
Disser Pointon

Had a game at Monktonhall yesterday, not a bad afternoon. Hitting it well off the tee but the short game is a bit rusty and my putting was awful, those 2 footers are a nightmare!

Played the Braids yesterday , absolute howler , 104 , just cant play in the wind

At least you got your moneys worth. A round and a half. :rolleyes:

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread