• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0.6 off the handicap today. That's with an 8 on the card. Haha.

Down to 10.3 now.

Can smell the single figures. :lol:

I'm enjoying the golf on the telly. Looks more like normal conditions rather than the shorts and t-shirt weather that they always play in...

Also.. Gullane next year for the Scottish. I should be able to get anyone cheaper tickets if they want.

Samuel Camazzola

I'm enjoying the golf on the telly. Looks more like normal conditions rather than the shorts and t-shirt weather that they always play in...

Also.. Gullane next year for the Scottish. I should be able to get anyone cheaper tickets if they want.

Yeah, good to see drivers going 240 and 7 irons from 110. And that's the big hitters like Colsaerts.

I'd be keen on a ticket on the cheap if they are made available to you as a member. I went two years ago and enjoyed it more than The Open. Everything is more accessible and you can get up close to the action.

I'd be keen as well.

Cool...  I'll need to get some of you down for a game as well. 

Also- did you stick my 36 points on? 

Not a massive fan of going to watch golf, been to Castle Stuart to watch it a few times, although if I was to go it would be the challenge tour at spey Valley, no ropes, just walk the fairways with the pro's.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I was at Royal Aberdeen a couple of years back. As you guys are saying we got so much closer. So close Mickelson actually said hi as we waited for him to get a move on over the crosswalk.

That was a well attended event. Gullane will be a fine venue

hmfc_liam06

Cool... I'll need to get some of you down for a game as well.

Certainly wouldn't refuse a round on Gullane!

Your 36 is on :thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola

I saw an interesting game advertised for The Torrance at The Fairmont.

On Friday 11th August, they are doing a night scramble with glow in the dark golf balls. It's over 7 holes and prizes are involved.

Tee off is 10pm and there is a putting competition prior to it at 8:45.

A bit different but sounds appealing.

I saw an interesting game advertised for The Torrance at The Fairmont.

On Friday 11th August, they are doing a night scramble with glow in the dark golf balls. It's over 7 holes and prizes are involved.

Tee off is 10pm and there is a putting competition prior to it at 8:45.

A bit different but sounds appealing.

It looks good, shame it doesn't look like you get to choose your own teams, or we could of entered a couple from here. Still it's an idea for other scrambles where you do pick your team

Cool... I'll need to get some of you down for a game as well.

Count me in for the JKB Championship! Winner to play the best player from the Hearts Golf day :)

hmfc_liam06

Count me in for the JKB Championship! Winner to play the best player from the Hearts Golf day :)

Hope you boys don't laugh too much at my golf then :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

24 degrees a round of golf and Hearts season opener.

Its Carlsberg Tuesday's

Feel for shinkwin here, played a tremendous round and went to pot green side on 18. I backed bello today at 4/1 so not all bad.

Play off time.

Feel for shinkwin here, played a tremendous round and went to pot green side on 18. I backed bello today at 4/1 so not all bad.

Play off time.

Can't understand why shinkwin didn't just lay up and leave himself a wedge into the heart of the green. 2 putts. Job done.

Pretty sure I'd be punching holes in the locker room walls.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Shinkwins knees must have been knocking. Huge pots the Rolex series let alone Race points. You need your caddy badly

Samuel Camazzola

His caddie should have been giving strong advice and refused to hand the 3 wood over.

It'll sink in and he'll be kicking himself.

Talking about this last night at the club, anybody else see it?  McIlroy, his ball passes the flag and needs to hole the returning putt to make the cut, he's already see the read from the run by yet reads the break as further out - anybody think he missed the cut on purpose?  He wasn't going to win, the forecast for Saturday was terrible and he's been able to get to Birkdale 2 days earlier and play in great conditions.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Talking about this last night at the club, anybody else see it?  McIlroy, his ball passes the flag and needs to hole the returning putt to make the cut, he's already see the read from the run by yet reads the break as further out - anybody think he missed the cut on purpose?  He wasn't going to win, the forecast for Saturday was terrible and he's been able to get to Birkdale 2 days earlier and play in great conditions.

Quite possible. Appearance money bagged, obligation fulfilled, down the road and concentrate on the main event. Appeals to my levels of cynicism.

hmfc_liam06

Scoring updated:

http://jkbgolf-com.stackstaging.com/

Getting tight between the 4 of us who have 10 scores submitted with Armageddon and SectionG lurking in the background. Armageddon has 9 scores and is 47 behind Bigsmak with SectionG 65 behind but only has 8 scores submitted.

It will be a tight finish. Luckily I still have about 14 or so medals left to try and put in a couple of 37 / 38 pointers .... Its great being a member of 3 clubs and doing the golf in Scotland thing! 

Midweek stableford tomorrow, first midweek comp of the year for me. Need to get rid of the 31 and 32 pointers!

I might play enough future medals to be able to push out my worst ones but I wont trouble the top places.

Being correctly handicapped is in itself a handicap. I have very little in hand. Not sure where all these 40pointers come from. (Grr mumble).

I might play enough future medals to be able to push out my worst ones but I wont trouble the top places.

Being correctly handicapped is in itself a handicap. I have very little in hand. Not sure where all these 40pointers come from. (Grr mumble).

That's a good point.

I've had another think about what I said before and I definitely think I'm handicapped by the fact the standard scratch at my course is 33 points.

Shooting my handicap = 33 points.

I've no chance. :lol:

That's a good point.

I've had another think about what I said before and I definitely think I'm handicapped by the fact the standard scratch at my course is 33 points.

There's that as well. It makes it harder for you.

I was thinking more about the differences in how players get on during the year. I have had more or less the same handicap for about 25 years. Very little movements down and the .1 ups. I guess others are playing a lot more medals and have much more of a range of scores. Larger and more numerous cuts and more .1s.

I've got a record of all my medal scores over the past 12 or so years. I reckon about 90% of them come in a band of about 5 shots. Maybe 4% are better and 6% more.

I would love to have a record of the other 18 years scores as a senior before I started recording them.

Samuel Camazzola

That's a good point.

Stableford is against the stroke index so you are still getting full handicap allowance to achieve 36 points for 'par'.

The league table is only going to be accurate if everyone played the same course.

I've watched the Dunhill numerous times were someone has shot 66 only for someone else to struggle to score around Carnoustie in 73 at the same time but not play much worse.

When folk are scoring 40 points, they will be getting cut 0.4/0.8 etc and improving towards a better handicap. From my experience, players in single figures are capable of shooting par rounds and folk off 6 and under can often shoot below par on their own course.

A JKB golf day is the only way to settle things! :)

Stableford is against the stroke index so you are still getting full handicap allowance to achieve 36 points for 'par'.

The league table is only going to be accurate if everyone played the same course.

I've watched the Dunhill numerous times were someone has shot 66 only for someone else to struggle to score around Carnoustie in 73 at the same time but not play much worse.

When folk are scoring 40 points, they will be getting cut 0.4/0.8 etc and improving towards a better handicap. From my experience, players in single figures are capable of shooting par rounds and folk off 6 and under can often shoot below par on their own course.

A JKB golf day is the only way to settle things! :)

I think a Golf Day could be a plan, Liam's the man I think for organising a Golf Day, seems the best candidate.

With regards to the stableford... I am off 5 and there are par 4s of 460+ yards on Gullane where I don't get a shot. If i was playing greenburn for example I would be maybe getting a shot on a 340 yrd par 4... Thats why the CSS is different. 

Think I opened a can of worms. Was only joking. ;)

There will of course be contributing factors regarding different courses and also one's own 'profile' of scoring and handicap. It's only a bit of fun.

I've read this sentence over and over again and it doesn't make sense or I'm just not getting it. Apologies if it's me. :lol:

33 points is the "par" for me though.

My handicap is based on a SSS that is 3 over par.

For example, I play off 10. That handicap is based on me basically shooting 13 over par.

Come stableford day, I get 10 shots. But generally I require 13. Meaning if I play to my "usual standard" I will only get 33 points. That's the par for me.

Hopefully someone understands me or can explain it better. Ack who cares anyway man. All good. :)

I've read this sentence over and over again and it doesn't make sense or I'm just not getting it. Apologies if it's me. :lol:

For example, I play off 10. That handicap is based on me basically shooting 13 over par.

Come stableford day, I get 10 shots. But generally I require 13. Meaning if I play to my "usual standard" I will only get 33 points. That's the par for me.

Hopefully someone understands me or can explain it better. Ack who cares anyway man. All good. :)

I am in full agreement with this. I have a 40 points and that is from a course with a par of 71 and a CSS of 70... On my usual course its 71 par 73 CSS meaning that 34 points is me playing to my handicap. 

It is frustrating in this format where I am actually getting my handicap cut and only scoring 34 or 35 points! 

Samuel Camazzola

I'm maybe alone on this but if I'm playing somewhere like Spey Valley where the CSS is above par, I don't look to play to this number to play to handicap. I play to better the par of the course.

It's maybe just the mindset I always had. As a junior, I never accepted shots in stroke play competition and felt it improved me.

Could do with all the help I could get now though!

Kilspindie is a par 69, but CSS 66.

Longniddry is a par 68, but CSS 71.

If I get 39 points at Kilspindie, it's my handicap.

If I get 33 points at Longniddry, it's my handicap.

So 33 and 39 equate to the same "performance". Although one looks superior, it's not.

The JKB table would only be fair if the CSS for each persons course was the same as their course par.

Anyway, as someone said, it's just a bit fun. Sorry if I sound like a grump. Not intended!

With regards to the stableford... I am off 5 and there are par 4s of 460+ yards on Gullane where I don't get a shot. If i was playing greenburn for example I would be maybe getting a shot on a 340 yrd par 4... Thats why the CSS is different.

Aye but at Greenburn you'd have more chance of having your ball stolen during a round

hmfc_liam06

I think a Golf Day could be a plan, Liam's the man I think for organising a Golf Day, seems the best candidate.

I'm happy to organise something if there were a good number of folk up for it.

I run the outings for my society, a typical outing consists of:

Bacon roll and tea/coffee

18 holes

1 or 2 course meal

Winning prize - decent bottle (?20-?25 value)

Second prize - standard bottle (?10-?12)

Closest to the pin - 4 pack of beer (Peroni etc)

Longest drive - 4 pack of beer

Closest to the pin in 2 - 4 pack of beer

Best scratch par 3 total - 4 pack of beer

We used to do cash prizes but it just causes too much of a hassle. The Mrs has a cash and carry account so usually get good deals on drink there.

Cost is always ?40 a head.

Every time I tee up at my home course I'm technically playing off 2, sometimes 1 with my home css. Cheer up lads.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm happy to organise something if there were a good number of folk up for it.

I run the outings for my society, a typical outing consists of:

Bacon roll and tea/coffee

18 holes

1 or 2 course meal

Winning prize - decent bottle (?20-?25 value)

Second prize - standard bottle (?10-?12)

Closest to the pin - 4 pack of beer (Peroni etc)

Longest drive - 4 pack of beer

Closest to the pin in 2 - 4 pack of beer

Best scratch par 3 total - 4 pack of beer

We used to do cash prizes but it just causes too much of a hassle. The Mrs has a cash and carry account so usually get good deals on drink there.

Cost is always ?40 a head.

Cheers for the heads up on Hopeman. I had a bad round but an enjoyable afternoon. Back 9 way superior to the front 9. If i ever play there again i will be wiser :)

hmfc_liam06

Cheers for the heads up on Hopeman. I had a bad round but an enjoyable afternoon. Back 9 way superior to the front 9. If i ever play there again i will be wiser :)

Yeah the front 9, actually holes 3-8 are the ones that are poorer inland holes. But 1/2 and the back 9 are good. Tough back 9 though.

How did you get on at the par 3? Some hole ain't it?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Yeah the front 9, actually holes 3-8 are the ones that are poorer inland holes. But 1/2 and the back 9 are good. Tough back 9 though.

How did you get on at the par 3? Some hole ain't it?

Stunning yesterday. Tee was in poor repair being picky. Right over the flag but a club too much. Putting was good up until that point but 3 putted. 16 was hard especially with the wind off the South. Vfm at 15 quid at 330.

hmfc_liam06

Stunning yesterday. Tee was in poor repair being picky. Right over the flag but a club too much. Putting was good up until that point but 3 putted. 16 was hard especially with the wind off the South. Vfm at 15 quid at 330.

16th is a tough hole! Tight off the tee and especially tough into the wind, which we had both times!

0.1 cut (for a nett 74???) on sunday.

Handicap is sitting at 0.7, hopeful my seasons goal will be complete on the next couple weeks!

John mcCartney

this sky coverage of the practice round tonight is truly toe curling,cringe warp factor 9 stuff

no doubt a lot of stuff is interesting on the whole but **** me when it comes to it,the likes of david livingstone and co are a bunch of utter welts

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread