Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Tommy Brown
On 6/5/2018 at 19:49, broony1985 said:

Anyone a member at Ratho? 

Also has there ever been a kickback outing? Would anyone be interested? 

lovely parkland course, not long.

Open handicap, first sunday in Sept.

played it twice last year, first time in over 30 years.

making it one one our regular opens

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

broony1985
8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Ratho - talk to me.  Haven't played it for a while but have walked it a dozen times this year with junior.  Not much wrong out there.

Just joined back up and looking for my handicap. Brilliant wee course. 

broony1985
10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

lovely parkland course, not long.

Open handicap, first sunday in Sept.

played it twice last year, first time in over 30 years.

making it one one our regular opens

Joined up there. Course is looking very good. They've just recently relaid the 8th Green and added some new bunkers. 15th has also had a make over with a nice little(ish) pond to the left of the green. 

Armageddon
14 hours ago, broony1985 said:

Just joined back up and looking for my handicap. Brilliant wee course. 

Aye it's in great shape, the pond on the par 3 is a great addition.  The food in the clubhouse is very decent, shame it's a bit awkward to get to.

broony1985
8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Aye it's in great shape, the pond on the par 3 is a great addition.  The food in the clubhouse is very decent, shame it's a bit awkward to get to.

It really is. The breakfast rolls are cracking. I've still not managed a pint there yet cause i need to drive every time cause of its location ha ha 

15 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Yes mate, you playing?

Unfortunately not. Broke my foot about 6 weeks ago ??. Early July before I start my tour assault ?? I'm running the scramble for them at Wishaw on the same day though. Working at Deer Park in their scramble on Saturday aswell. 

DUnbar was excellent this morning. Really good condition. Had the hooks however and found just about every bunker on the left side of the course so the score wasn’t great. Found a swing after 11/12 holes so it got  bit better in the latter stages of the round. 

I had the lefts going again today, shot 71 for the first rd club championship qualifier. 

2nd rd tomorrow.

John mcCartney

anybod have impressions of southerness ,down at the solway firth ?
having thoughts on boving on the open there tomora,on account of looking at the photo
galleries and justifying the potentially 3 hour journeys there and back.not really that inspiring it looks altho i can be swayed

John mcCartney

haha....cheers

the reviews are all `go` but summats telling me im gonna be underwhelmed.....i love a flat links course,my own place is leven but
it dont take 3hours to get there ........see how i feel in the morning

2 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

haha....cheers

the reviews are all `go` but summats telling me im gonna be underwhelmed.....i love a flat links course,my own place is leven but
it dont take 3hours to get there ........see how i feel in the morning

Do it! Well worth the trip.  we head over every year for a pairs open and it never disappoints. It’s a challenging course in calm conditions but in the wind with the heather and gorse so close to the fairways it gets really tricky. 

20 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I had the lefts going again today, shot 71 for the first rd club championship qualifier. 

2nd rd tomorrow.

70 gross today ,had the lefts and rights going today ?. 2 lost balls too . 

I wish I could card 71 and 70 while not at full tilt.     Well done on making the scores which sound like qualification with plenty to spare.     

My Q1 and Q2 are next week.     I always seem to end up at about 103% to 106% of the Q score.     Two pars at the 1st would have been enough last year... but I was +5 over the 2 rounds.  :D

Any good GPS apps for iWatch? 

No point in forking out another couple of hundred for a GPS watch for the golf. 

Thanks 

6 hours ago, broony1985 said:

Any good GPS apps for iWatch? 

No point in forking out another couple of hundred for a GPS watch for the golf. 

Thanks 

GolfShot Pro ??????

Disser Pointon
On 6/7/2018 at 13:32, bebeto said:

Unfortunately not. Broke my foot about 6 weeks ago ??. Early July before I start my tour assault ?? I'm running the scramble for them at Wishaw on the same day though. Working at Deer Park in their scramble on Saturday aswell. 

I ended up playing with your old man! I had a shocker, been playing well recently as well. 

11 hours ago, StSow said:

Won champ QF this morning despite putting shockingly bad. Hopefully picks up before the semi on Friday night

Well done. I got my QF match tonight. 

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Back to shite tomorrow, then...

The world in which us medium-high handicappers inhabit.  :lol:

I hear ye!!

Still, I'll look great in my new Ping polo losing the 2 sleeves of Chrome Soft's I got for yesterday's prizes :lol:

10 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Well done. I got my QF match tonight. 

Good luck! How are you seeded in the knockouts?

5 minutes ago, StSow said:

Good luck! How are you seeded in the knockouts?

Cheers. I was 2nd in qualifying. 

Last 16 in the matchplay (h/c knockout) tonight.    Giving 3 shots against a player I know is doing well.   2 shots early on then quite a gap to the 3rd one.     I would happily stand on the tee after his 2nd shot maybe 1 down.   There is a danger of being 3 or 4 down with a bad start which would be an uphill task.     Probably need to be 1 up when he gets his late shot.    

Nothing like doing too much thinking about it.  :)

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Last 16 in the matchplay (h/c knockout) tonight.    Giving 3 shots against a player I know is doing well.   2 shots early on then quite a gap to the 3rd one.     I would happily stand on the tee after his 2nd shot maybe 1 down.   There is a danger of being 3 or 4 down with a bad start which would be an uphill task.     Probably need to be 1 up when he gets his late shot.    

Nothing like doing too much thinking about it.  :)

? I’m the same , been thinking about it all day ! 

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

? I’m the same , been thinking about it all day ! 

You're ok.  I think you have plenty in the tool kit to beat most.    Good luck.

Won my match 5&4  , best round I’ve possibly ever played , was -5 for 14 holes , that included a lip out eagle putt and lip out birdie putt ! Plus an OB on the 10th which I managed to still bogey. 

John mcCartney
On 09/06/2018 at 18:29, StSow said:

Do it! Well worth the trip.  we head over every year for a pairs open and it never disappoints. It’s a challenging course in calm conditions but in the wind with the heather and gorse so close to the fairways it gets really tricky. 

well,i made it to southerness on the costa solway firth.it was a balmy 24 deg yesterday absolutely superb.......
but also pretty windy,2 club wind on most holes.......lot to like about the place if the weather is good,so peaceful and definitely worth visiting and experiencing as has been said.
however its such a brutal course,fair enough it has mostly very long par 4`s and plateau`ed par 3 greens which are difficult in themselves but the rough is
effing ridiculous,lots of different types of grasses and plants which is very unforgiving especially around the greens,not to mention bordering the fairways...the greens were well kept but annoyingly slow ,a kind of resinous grass on a lot of the front nine then more slick,drier greens on the back nine.
thats enough of the critique but yeah its worth the trip if the weather is looking good and if you want to experience an extremely demanding course.

27 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Won my match 5&4  , best round I’ve possibly ever played , was -5 for 14 holes , that included a lip out eagle putt and lip out birdie putt ! Plus an OB on the 10th which I managed to still bogey. 

Well in mate :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

well,i made it to southerness on the costa solway firth.it was a balmy 24 deg yesterday absolutely superb.......
but also pretty windy,2 club wind on most holes.......lot to like about the place if the weather is good,so peaceful and definitely worth visiting and experiencing as has been said.
however its such a brutal course,fair enough it has mostly very long par 4`s and plateau`ed par 3 greens which are difficult in themselves but the rough is
effing ridiculous,lots of different types of grasses and plants which is very unforgiving especially around the greens,not to mention bordering the fairways...the greens were well kept but annoyingly slow ,a kind of resinous grass on a lot of the front nine then more slick,drier greens on the back nine.
thats enough of the critique but yeah its worth the trip if the weather is looking good and if you want to experience an extremely demanding course.

Completely agree it’s brutal, which I reckon is why I love it. Totally different test to what I play every week.  Haven’t ventured over for any singles opens yet but it’s on the to do list. I’d imagine the standard scratch goes up a few strokes 

John mcCartney

i was resigned to a 0.1 on the hcap,so no probs there.dont know what it was for the oswald trophy yesterday but a recent medal,the sss was 76 !
there was a kid in with a 69-1 yesterday,one of my playing partners clocked him eagling the last from 6ft.......on a course like it was yesterday,simply another level
of golf.
must say though some great looking holes there but the setting for the 12th is rather special,with the sun out n all that and the estuary as the backdrop.
your driving simply has to be good on the day....

58 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Brilliant.  Well done.   Incredible scoring.   Maybe the next game will be more moderate scoring.  Who knows in matchplay?    

Tie won 3/2.  Into QF.     Had to grind it out to stay in touch and then pounced on mistakes.     +4 thru 16 holes which is good in my world.     -5 would be nice.

Never lost a shot hole.  Half-half-win.    That's very very pleasing.     

15 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

I ended up playing with your old man! I had a shocker, been playing well recently as well. 

?? Quality. Old bandit he is. 

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Sounds like a course I might give a miss then...either that, take a bag of 100 Top Flites :lol:

Tuesday - best round of the year so far. 82 at Carricknowe. Irons sweet. Could have easily been in the 70s if it wasn't for dodgy putting and some wayward drives.

Sunday - worst round of the year. 98 at Royal Musselburgh. Suddenly couldn't hit a clean iron shot to save myself. Massive hooks with short irons OB, shanks, the lot.

:sob:

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Tuesday - best round of the year so far. 82 at Carricknowe. Irons sweet. Could have easily been in the 70s if it wasn't for dodgy putting and some wayward drives.

Sunday - worst round of the year. 98 at Royal Musselburgh. Suddenly couldn't hit a clean iron shot to save myself. Massive hooks with short irons OB, shanks, the lot.

:sob:

dr-evil-crying1.gif

Well beaten tonight, 4&3 . Never really got going, think I was about +3 for my round and he was -1. No complaints.

20 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Well beaten tonight, 4&3 . Never really got going, think I was about +3 for my round and he was -1. No complaints.

Unlucky.   No need to blame yourself too much because +3 thru 15 is not exactly hacking about.     You'll no doubt know that figures to par in matchplay can sometimes mean little.    Every tie is different.     Our championship final last season ended at the 15th and the players were approx +4 and +9.    Two absolutely terrific golfers.     

No second chances though.    One defeat and it's history.    The one bad thing about matchplay.

51 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Unlucky.   No need to blame yourself too much because +3 thru 15 is not exactly hacking about.     You'll no doubt know that figures to par in matchplay can sometimes mean little.    Every tie is different.     Our championship final last season ended at the 15th and the players were approx +4 and +9.    Two absolutely terrific golfers.     

No second chances though.    One defeat and it's history.    The one bad thing about matchplay.

Its a daft as **** game, mate! Monday was effortless, last night I just didn’t feel comfortable at all. 

US Open looks pish.  Players absolutely struggling on a horrifically unplayable course, plus the crowds are terrible.

Back in October I was minutes from booking a trip over for this, thankfully I didn’t.

Club champ Q1 = 76.    In terrible conditions.      Scores are very bunched.   75 tomorrow has a real chance.   Maybeee.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Club champ Q1 = 76.    In terrible conditions.      Scores are very bunched.   75 tomorrow has a real chance.   Maybeee.

16 qualifiers or straight into quarter finals round?