Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, StSow said:

Tricky but not impossible, 72 without holing anything over 6 foot, probably 6 good chances of birdies inside 20 feet. Takes time to adapt to a hard fast course but I’d personally have it like that all year round. 

Impossible for me :lol:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
On 26/05/2018 at 20:54, Victorian said:

What ball is everyone hitting?    I've been on pro-v1 or pro-v1x for years but I'm going to try using the Titleist Velocity to hopefully crowbar out what might be a 10 yard gain.    I seem to be forever toiling for decent distance and 10-15/20 yards per hole could make a difference.    I think I might even prefer a harder feel off the putter face.     It's worth a look anyway and the Velocity seems to get reasonable reviews for a non-premium ball.

I've been using Vice Pro and Vice Pro Plus for the last couple of years. They are not to dissimilar to the Pro V1 and Pro V1x but around half the price. 

If you are looking for something with a more solid feel but still pretty receptive, Srixon Z Star are worth trying. They can sometimes be found online at a reduced price which is a bonus. 

37 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've been using Vice Pro and Vice Pro Plus for the last couple of years. They are not to dissimilar to the Pro V1 and Pro V1x but around half the price. 

If you are looking for something with a more solid feel but still pretty receptive, Srixon Z Star are worth trying. They can sometimes be found online at a reduced price which is a bonus. 

Thanks I'll keep them in mind for later.   A dozen Velocity already bought.    

Thinking about ordering the vice balls. Best savings are when you order 5 boxes.. it's about £100 so... I better like them

On 5/26/2018 at 18:01, Tommy Brown said:

Is it still the same course since the 80's?

Workmates were members of the Western and "caddied" me to an 81 first time out.

Tees 3 and 4, I had no idea what to do without them. As 14 and 16, fantastic holes.

"Just hit it straight", "what if I don't?", "Just hit it straight" :lol:

Never scored anywhere near that again.

Braids #2, holy ****, mental.

Winter course was a mix of the two, it was good.

Not sure, I can't remember the 80s! I think I only played once there when I was a kid but I can't remember what the layout was back then.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

Thinking about ordering the vice balls. Best savings are when you order 5 boxes.. it's about £100 so... I better like them

I go halves with one of my mates. They sometimes do a deal where you order a few boxes and get an additional one free. I think it worked out around £55 for 30 balls last time. That included UPS courier costs from Germany. 

I'm sure recent offer was free postage but it may have just ended. 

Disser Pointon

Knock round Archerfield later, hopefully this fog burns off again. My game is Tom Kite at the moment though!

Samuel Camazzola

I'm competing in the Campbell Lamont qualifiers this year. I was going to choose Longniddry as my qualifier since it is familiar but opted for a hit around Scotscraig to tick off another track. 

18 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm competing in the Campbell Lamont qualifiers this year. I was going to choose Longniddry as my qualifier since it is familiar but opted for a hit around Scotscraig to tick off another track. 

Is this the pairs event? Me and my mate were going to play it and Nairn Dunbar but it’s 35 quid a head which is a bit of a piss take I thought. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good choice.   Scotscraig is a tremendous course.    One of my favs.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Is this the pairs event? Me and my mate were going to play it and Nairn Dunbar but it’s 35 quid a head which is a bit of a piss take I thought. 

Yeah. Better ball comp which I think includes a few different qualifying courses. Scotscraig is £25 which is reasonably priced. 

Qualifiers go on to Carnoustie and grand finals are in Spain. 

On 27/05/2018 at 11:46, paleredfox said:

Thank you!  If this gets delivered then good times.   

Did you get it?

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Did you get it?

I got one as well, using it as our Society end of year prize.

hmfc_liam06
14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah. Better ball comp which I think includes a few different qualifying courses. Scotscraig is £25 which is reasonably priced. 

Qualifiers go on to Carnoustie and grand finals are in Spain. 

We're heading along to Longniddry I think. Worth a go and if nothing else, it's £25 to play a superb course.

Burntisland at the weekend - anyone played it? Hoping it's relatively short since I'm still not getting on with my driver.

Good to see there's a bit of rain due on Friday to soften things up a bit, as long as it ****s off again by Saturday afternoon.

48 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Burntisland at the weekend - anyone played it? Hoping it's relatively short since I'm still not getting on with my driver.

Good to see there's a bit of rain due on Friday to soften things up a bit, as long as it ****s off again by Saturday afternoon.

Yes quite a few rounds.    Nice course.    The 10th is a real challenge.     Steeply uphill tee shot to the brow of a hill and then steeply back down to the green.    Trouble tight left and out of bounds tight right.    Fairway cambers off to the right all the way.      Either a risky driver over the hill or maybe a 6 iron to near the top and a long blind 2nd shot.     Out of bounds right behind the green as well.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes quite a few rounds.    Nice course.    The 10th is a real challenge.     Steeply uphill tee shot to the brow of a hill and then steeply back down to the green.    Trouble tight left and out of bounds tight right.    Fairway cambers off to the right all the way.      Either a risky driver over the hill or maybe a 6 iron to near the top and a long blind 2nd shot.     Out of bounds right behind the green as well.

Christ. I may as well mark that hole down for 0 points now.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Cracking course, played it loads. It's fairly forgiving bar a few holes.

1st is deceptively short despite it being uphill.

The downhill 5th is a cracker, par 3...best take a range of clubs up to the tee though :lol:

7th is a tough hole, elevated tee to elevated green which is very well protected. Go big on your approach to the green.

9th is a big downhill shot, with the run out just now I'd recommend going with a mid-iron, it'll run right down to the bottom of the hill leaving you a wedge back up to the green.

10th is an absolute ^^^^ of a hole. I've hit many a straight tee shot only to lose my ball. Play your most comfortable club here, an iron off the tee isn't a bad play.

11th is very tight off the tee.

12/13/14/15/16 are all very very scorable. Although 12 is quite long.

17th is a cracker of a par 3. Completely blind so trust the distance.

18th is a nice closing hole. Reachable with the driver. Just don't go left.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cracking course, played it loads. It's fairly forgiving bar a few holes.

1st is deceptively short despite it being uphill.

The downhill 5th is a cracker, par 3...best take a range of clubs up to the tee though :lol:

7th is a tough hole, elevated tee to elevated green which is very well protected. Go big on your approach to the green.

9th is a big downhill shot, with the run out just now I'd recommend going with a mid-iron, it'll run right down to the bottom of the hill leaving you a wedge back up to the green.

10th is an absolute ^^^^ of a hole. I've hit many a straight tee shot only to lose my ball. Play your most comfortable club here, an iron off the tee isn't a bad play.

11th is very tight off the tee.

12/13/14/15/16 are all very very scorable. Although 12 is quite long.

17th is a cracker of a par 3. Completely blind so trust the distance.

18th is a nice closing hole. Reachable with the driver. Just don't go left.

Nice one, cheers for the tips :thumbsup:

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Nice one, cheers for the tips :thumbsup:

No worries.

I remember being stood on the 9th and a guy in his 90's kindly let us through. My mate gets out the driver and he lets out a "hmmmm, son, unless you can green it, put the driver away. 9 iron, catch the slope and you'll be in perfect position".

My mate ignores him and lands in the jungle.

I parred it going 9 iron, PW and 2 putt. Won't play it any different now. Obviously the 9 iron changes depending on ground condition but that day it was during a similar spell, ground was rock hard.

It's one of my favourite courses.

Samuel Camazzola

I've got a Bunkered voucher for Burntisland this season and looking forward to a hit around there. Another trip to the Roxburghe first though. Cracking course. 

hmfc_liam06
27 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've got a Bunkered voucher for Burntisland this season and looking forward to a hit around there. Another trip to the Roxburghe first though. Cracking course. 

I have a Kings Acre one there, phoned them up to ask how much I can get a mate on for. Most of them have bring a mate offers...they're wanting £40! So my free voucher turns into a £20 outlay.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I have a Kings Acre one there, phoned them up to ask how much I can get a mate on for. Most of them have bring a mate offers...they're wanting £40! So my free voucher turns into a £20 outlay.

I have one for there as well but not checked the promotional offers on the back. Assume they are meal offers? 

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I really need to play Roxburghe again when it's dry. It was absolutely whoring down when I played it a few years ago.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I have one for there as well but not checked the promotional offers on the back. Assume they are meal offers? 

1. 2 Course Meal - £17.95

2. Coffee/Tea, All Day Breakfast & Soup and Sandwiches - £18.95

3. Coffee/Tea, Hot Filled Roll, Warm Up Balls & 2 Course Meal - £24.95

4. Coffee/Tea, Hot Filled Roll, Warm Up Balls, Buggy & 2 Course Meal - £32.95 (minimum of 2 players for buggy)

That's the offers with the voucher. I have a Royal Musselburgh one too, same issue. The mate I usually play with didn't renew his Bunkered subscription so they're likely going to go to waste.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

1. 2 Course Meal - £17.95

2. Coffee/Tea, All Day Breakfast & Soup and Sandwiches - £18.95

3. Coffee/Tea, Hot Filled Roll, Warm Up Balls & 2 Course Meal - £24.95

4. Coffee/Tea, Hot Filled Roll, Warm Up Balls, Buggy & 2 Course Meal - £32.95 (minimum of 2 players for buggy)

That's the offers with the voucher. I have a Royal Musselburgh one too, same issue. The mate I usually play with didn't renew his Bunkered subscription so they're likely going to go to waste.

If you think you'll not use the King's Acre one, I have a couple of GreenFree vouchers I could trade you for it. 

Armageddon
On 27/05/2018 at 09:17, dicksojo said:

It is a great idea to showcase courses but Craigielaw is hosting parts of it and I couldn’t get a tee time at all today or yesterday!

As an aside, I am going to take part in my first medal next week in order to get a handicap. I’m not going to lie I am a little bit nervous as I haven’t played in a medal since my junior days at monktonhall and I don’t really know anyone at the club. Anyone got any advice or should I just throw caution to the wind and stop being a girls blouse and give it a bash?

You’ll have been glad, what a tough trek this week given how dry and hard the course is, the haar, wind, then baking heat made it an interesting few days!  

hmfc_liam06

Shock horror, 38 points on Thursday and a CSS of -2.

5 times now this season. Destined to never get a cut :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Loved Burntisland today and somehow swerved the rain. Cracking course.

What did you hit down 9 then? Oh and how did you play on the 10th :lol:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You playing the Kinross open tomorrow? 

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

9 iron as recommended. Stuck my 2nd (9 again) just off the edge of the green and it kicked straight onto a gorse bush.

5 iron down the 10th and made par. 

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Irufushi said:

You playing the Kinross open tomorrow? 

Unfortunately not. I’m off to Glenrothes.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

9 iron as recommended. Stuck my 2nd (9 again) just off the edge of the green and it kicked straight onto a gorse bush.

5 iron down the 10th and made par. 

Great score on 10, par is always a bonus. 

The bounces you’re getting just now are unreal, good shots ruined by the solid ground conditions.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Great score on 10, par is always a bonus. 

The bounces you’re getting just now are unreal, good shots ruined by the solid ground conditions.

Wasn't too bad for that yesterday. I think there'd been a bit of rain on Friday to soften things up a bit.

38 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Unfortunately not. I’m off to Glenrothes.

Ah, my mates recently moved down  that way and he’s playing it today. 

Good track? 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Ah, my mates recently moved down  that way and he’s playing it today. 

Good track? 

Depends which course. I much prefer the Montgomery course over the Bruce course.

hmfc_liam06

I’m at a loss with the putter just now. 5 rounds in a row with at least 5 3 putts. Confidence shot and missing 2-3 footers.

71-1 this morning without holing anything of any length. Hitting it really solid but my mid range putting can’t be much worse. 

Practice required ahead of the champ knockouts and Dunbar open next weekend. 

10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I’m at a loss with the putter just now. 5 rounds in a row with at least 5 3 putts. Confidence shot and missing 2-3 footers.

Nothing worse than losing confidence in one particular area.    It breeds a doubt and even a complex.

There's three putting and there's three putting though.     Sometimes a player can be playing very well and as a result can be finding a high or higher number of greens in regulation.     This can often result in a high or higher number of long range putts if the approach shots are going to the edges of the greens.     40, 50 and 60 foot putts.     This naturally results in a high or higher number of 3-6 footers to hole out.     More possibility of three putting.      Another scenario is that it's the chip and pitch shots that are going to long range putt distance.     If that's true then the issue is with the chipping and pitching.      The other scenario is that a player is three putting from closer in.    The 15-25 foot range.     Could be a fundamental issue with maintaining a consistent and reliable putting stroke.     By and large,   a player putting well should be able to leave mostly tap ins from the mid range.

It's a real pain the arse to lose your putting karma but the first step is to identify the causes.      

hmfc_liam06
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nothing worse than losing confidence in one particular area.    It breeds a doubt and even a complex.

There's three putting and there's three putting though.     Sometimes a player can be playing very well and as a result can be finding a high or higher number of greens in regulation.     This can often result in a high or higher number of long range putts if the approach shots are going to the edges of the greens.     40, 50 and 60 foot putts.     This naturally results in a high or higher number of 3-6 footers to hole out.     More possibility of three putting.      Another scenario is that it's the chip and pitch shots that are going to long range putt distance.     If that's true then the issue is with the chipping and pitching.      The other scenario is that a player is three putting from closer in.    The 15-25 foot range.     Could be a fundamental issue with maintaining a consistent and reliable putting stroke.     By and large,   a player putting well should be able to leave mostly tap ins from the mid range.

It's a real pain the arse to lose your putting karma but the first step is to identify the causes.      

I reckon it’s the 50-60 yards and in shots that are hampering me most just now as it’s leaving me well outside of par range with my first putt. 

That being said, 8 putts inside 5 foot yesterday with a further 5 today all missed. 

So my issue is definitely two fold, I need to get closer with my chipping and I really need to get my confidence back with short putts.

Just need to keep at it I guess. 

15 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I reckon it’s the 50-60 yards and in shots that are hampering me most just now as it’s leaving me well outside of par range with my first putt. 

That being said, 8 putts inside 5 foot yesterday with a further 5 today all missed. 

So my issue is definitely two fold, I need to get closer with my chipping and I really need to get my confidence back with short putts.

Just need to keep at it I guess. 

There you go.   It's a common trait and I sometimes suffer from it myself.    The pitching is putting pressure on the putting.    It's totally understandable that the holing out problem has manifested itself.     Starting to miss a few can really destroy the confidence.     Doubts creep in and it's easy to over complicate and look for problems.     

For the short ones,  one resetting device that's worked for me is to practice a shorter putting stroke.    Short back = you have no choice but to accelerate through.    It can help if you're tending to quit on the putt or shutting/fanning the putter face.

Longer term it's the pitching.    I need to work on this too.    

Edited by Victorian

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, StSow said:

71-1 this morning without holing anything of any length. Hitting it really solid but my mid range putting can’t be much worse. 

Practice required ahead of the champ knockouts and Dunbar open next weekend. 

Dunbar is in great condition just now. 

Wee bit rain today but it's running hard and fast. 

Good luck :thumb:

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Dunbar is in great condition just now. 

Wee bit rain today but it's running hard and fast. 

Good luck :thumb:

Aye I’ve heard it’s looking good. Always look forward to Dunbar. Cheers 

broony1985

Anyone a member at Ratho? 

Also has there ever been a kickback outing? Would anyone be interested? 

Disser Pointon

Haggs Castle today, PGA at Gleneagles tomorrow and Harburn on Sunday. Never played Harburn before, quite short but been told there's a few tricky holes. 

Two US university based Scots qualified for the US Open.   Ryan Lumsden,  21 and Calum Hill,  23.     Tremendous for them.   

Armageddon
17 hours ago, broony1985 said:

Anyone a member at Ratho? 

Also has there ever been a kickback outing? Would anyone be interested? 

Ratho - talk to me.  Haven't played it for a while but have walked it a dozen times this year with junior.  Not much wrong out there.

6 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Haggs Castle today, PGA at Gleneagles tomorrow and Harburn on Sunday. Never played Harburn before, quite short but been told there's a few tricky holes. 

GIS tour on Sunday?