Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

I get this all the time, had a few arguments and get the usual response from numpties saying they didn’t think there was any point in letting me through as another group is in front of them. Drives me mad. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

stuartmitchell

Yeah that's infuriating! Also encountered a 4 ball in a tie that wouldn't let me play through. Turns a 2.5hr round into 4+

2 hours ago, stuartmitchell said:

Any of you lads found a shift in attitude towards letting faster players play through? I often nip up to Ratho for a quick round by myself but on the last few occasions have been hampered by 3 or 4 balls who won't let me play through? This didn't happen at Torphin when I was a member there?

It's getting on my tits!

Yep, a couple of weeks ago me and a mate got held up by a really slow 3-ball in front that wouldn't let us through. Held up from hole 4 right to 18. They had dropped about 4 holes behind the group in front of them by the end. Arseholes.

Edited by Ray Gin

stuartmitchell
6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep, a couple of weeks ago me and a mate got held up by a really slow 3-ball in front that wouldn't let us through. Held up from hole 4 right to 18. They had dropped about 4 holes behind the group in front of them by the end. Arseholes.

No need for it. Would be happy to play the hole with them and crack on afterwards. lack of manners and common sense.

11 hours ago, stuartmitchell said:

Any of you lads found a shift in attitude towards letting faster players play through? I often nip up to Ratho for a quick round by myself but on the last few occasions have been hampered by 3 or 4 balls who won't let me play through? This didn't happen at Torphin when I was a member there?

It's getting on my tits!

Problem I keep finding with this and has been at a lot of clubs, is they stick to the etiquette of “a single player has no standing on the course”. I say etiquette as I’m pretty sure it can’t be a rule. But I’ve heard it numerous times at many clubs I’ve been a member. But surely a single player, especially one who is half decent, will not hold anyone up on the course.

As for people who don’t let groups that are faster through, that is ridiculous and there’s no excuse, especially if they’re losing holes on the group in front. I played last year and the group in front had lost a full hole in the space of 2 holes, it was ridiculous. They never let us through despite dropping 4 1/2 holes behind the group in front by the turn, where I walked off. This was with me talking to them on most holes as they were still on most tees as we approached greens. I was actually lying down between shots. As it was a medal, this cost me 0.1, which as a single figure handicapper, isn’t great. Letter to committee and nothing done. It actually felt like I was in the wrong for raising the issue.

hmfc_liam06

First medal of the year yesterday, ticking along nicely at -1 thru 10, swing is good not missing fairways then...

It all went to shit, massively hooking every club in the bag, even the putter was going left. Finished up +6. Infuriating.

stuartmitchell
On 4/14/2018 at 01:35, SectionG said:

Problem I keep finding with this and has been at a lot of clubs, is they stick to the etiquette of “a single player has no standing on the course”. I say etiquette as I’m pretty sure it can’t be a rule. But I’ve heard it numerous times at many clubs I’ve been a member. But surely a single player, especially one who is half decent, will not hold anyone up on the course.

As for people who don’t let groups that are faster through, that is ridiculous and there’s no excuse, especially if they’re losing holes on the group in front. I played last year and the group in front had lost a full hole in the space of 2 holes, it was ridiculous. They never let us through despite dropping 4 1/2 holes behind the group in front by the turn, where I walked off. This was with me talking to them on most holes as they were still on most tees as we approached greens. I was actually lying down between shots. As it was a medal, this cost me 0.1, which as a single figure handicapper, isn’t great. Letter to committee and nothing done. It actually felt like I was in the wrong for raising the issue.

I've been away from the game for a few years (since Torphin shut) so wasn't sure if that was still regarded as etiquette or if that attitude had been phased out. A little better today, let through by two groups of two balls before getting stuck behind a 3 ball..............

On 14/04/2018 at 01:35, SectionG said:

Problem I keep finding with this and has been at a lot of clubs, is they stick to the etiquette of “a single player has no standing on the course”. I say etiquette as I’m pretty sure it can’t be a rule. But I’ve heard it numerous times at many clubs I’ve been a member. 

Utterly bewildering and ridiculous logic. 

2 hours ago, StSow said:

Found some time to practice the short game yesterday. Shot a new personal best today. 

8BAE13C6-9520-4749-9B07-4436BE045FF0.png

? outstanding.

Samuel Camazzola
On 15/04/2018 at 07:16, hmfc_liam06 said:

First medal of the year yesterday, ticking along nicely at -1 thru 10, swing is good not missing fairways then...

It all went to shit, massively hooking every club in the bag, even the putter was going left. Finished up +6. Infuriating.

Sounds like the kind of outcome when the right hand is not over the top of the grip enough and creating a 'V' with the thumb and index finger. It can leave the club face prone to closing at impact, leading to left-bound shots. It's something I've had to work at. 

hmfc_liam06
18 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sounds like the kind of outcome when the right hand is not over the top of the grip enough and creating a 'V' with the thumb and index finger. It can leave the club face prone to closing at impact, leading to left-bound shots. It's something I've had to work at. 

I think I was swinging a bit too much with the arms and letting them lead the body - it's actually less worrying when it's happening with all clubs, usually just a quick fix.

Pretty much 6 months to the day,   I have at last managed to hit some balls today.   A quick fire 50 x 7-irons in the nets.    4-5 skinny skittery things but the rest were nicely hit.    Not a Sherman in sight.    A bit clunky,  too quick and ill-balanced but the wind was battering me and my eyes were watering like ****.    Very pleased though.    Another 50 later in the week and see how those compare.    

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think I was swinging a bit too much with the arms and letting them lead the body - it's actually less worrying when it's happening with all clubs, usually just a quick fix.

Sounds like it's swing plane.    If the weight shift isn't right and you're not getting the left hip out of the way then it sounds like you're 'fishing'.     A loop from inside the line or on line to outside the line as you start the downswing.     It's impossible to correct with some other adjustment.    Just concentrate on timing the left hip and leg shuttle at the very top of the swing.    Get this right and you'll develop a nice tempo and your swing wont fish outside the line.

I'm sure most of you recognise the shop below but with a different name.

The R&A/ Links Trust have decided that they no longer need to keep the name Tom Morris over his shop.

Pure money grabbing Imo.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_DbDJDxxVwAAYhSF.jpg

4 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

The R&A/ Links Trust have decided that they no longer need to keep the name Tom Morris over his shop.

Pure money grabbing Imo.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_DbDJDxxVwAAYhSF.jpg

That's a shame :(  I wonder who owns it?  He 100% should have his name on that street in full view of those that flock there, none of it would be possible without him.

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Pure money grabbing Imo.

No comment :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

That's a shame :(  I wonder who owns it?  He 100% should have his name on that street in full view of those that flock there, none of it would be possible without him.

Links Trust bought it in 2010.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Blazing sunshine, not a breath of wind, a cloud in the sky, and time to play in the week.

Injured. Typical.

Such are the perils of being an elite athlete ?

1 minute ago, Barack said:

If I was on the course today, I'd miss the sights on show today, if you follow my meaning...?

Small mercies.

:sweeet:

I am currently in a beer garden, so yes I know what you mean:greggy:

I’ve started the straight lefts with my irons, probably the worst shot possible when you set up for a fade. Woods are still fading fine . 

42 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I’ve started the straight lefts with my irons, probably the worst shot possible when you set up for a fade. Woods are still fading fine . 

Very slight club head turn at impact with the irons,  not evident when hitting a fairway wood?     Addressing the ball a fraction too far away or just a little bit towards the right foot?

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Very slight club head turn at impact with the irons,  not evident when hitting a fairway wood?     Addressing the ball a fraction too far away or just a little bit towards the right foot?

Nah driver / 3 wood / hybrids all fading still, mostly pulls with irons and the odd draw , I actually thought I might be standing too close , don’t think the ball is anywhere near my right foot . 

Cant wait to get back on the course tomorrow and start all this overthinking bullshit ?

Just now, Irufushi said:

Nah driver / 3 wood / hybrids all fading still, mostly pulls with irons and the odd draw , I actually thought I might be standing too close , don’t think the ball is anywhere near my right foot . 

Cant wait to get back on the course tomorrow and start all this overthinking bullshit ?

That's what I mean.   Woods and hybrids wont turn at impact like an iron can.     Sounds like my initial guess isn't right anyway.

Maybe feet / knees / hips / shoulders a bit mis-alligned?     

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Dennis Pugh did a piece on this tonight on the Shot Centre as Sergio had the same issue. Worth a look if it can be located on catch up. 

Disser Pointon

Anybody got the Ping G400 irons? Not usually a fan of Ping as I don't like a thick top line but liked the look of these and apparently play well.

18 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I'd say: 

- The ball position could be too in the left heel meaning you're on the slight arc through the rotation 

- You could be coming over the top a little and hitting a little from the outside

Just get out and batter balls!!!!

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Finally broke 80  :robbo:

5ada3cdec4e34_ScreenShot2018-04-20at20_16_32.thumb.png.009c224c00d8a93d25cfbf2e29cd4485.png

Competition? 

Hit it better tonight myself, think the ball was a little too near to my left heel, moved it slightly towards centre and it helped. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Competition? 

Hit it better tonight myself, think the ball was a little too near to my left heel, moved it slightly towards centre and it helped. 

:clyay:

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Competition? 

Sadly no, although it was off the white tees as I was marking someone else’s handicap card.

Competition today though so look out for the 98 :lol:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sadly no, although it was off the white tees as I was marking someone else’s handicap card.

Competition today though so look out for the 98 :lol:

:lol: just go do the same again ?

I haven't played well for ages. Up .1 for 10 medals in a row I think. ...

Medal today though... Time to bring it back

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Irufushi said:

:lol: just go do the same again ?

Was out in +6 again...

But had an absolute mare on the back, multiple penalties off the tee as the driver completely went south :thumbsdown:

Knew I shouldn't have went out Friday and used all my good golf on a bounce round :lol:

10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Was out in +6 again...

But had an absolute mare on the back, multiple penalties off the tee as the driver completely went south :thumbsdown:

Knew I shouldn't have went out Friday and used all my good golf on a bounce round :lol:

What’s the hcap just now? Looks like it’s going to take a hammering this year!

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, StSow said:

What’s the hcap just now? Looks like it’s going to take a hammering this year!

19.7. I'm targeting 16 this year.

I know when I find fairways I'll score well, my irons, wedges and putting are very solid. But finding them can often be a major issue :lol:

Disser Pointon

My irons have been a disaster the last 2 rounds, I seem to be losing my height and dropping down into the ball which is resulting in numerous chunks, I know I'm doing it but can't seem to stop!!! Really frustrating because I am hitting it well off the tee and putting myself in prime position.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

My irons have been a disaster the last 2 rounds, I seem to be losing my height and dropping down into the ball which is resulting in numerous chunks, I know I'm doing it but can't seem to stop!!! Really frustrating because I am hitting it well off the tee and putting myself in prime position.

Sounds like we'd make a great player :lol:

2 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

This is the bane of my game. It recurs frequently and no matter what I seem to do to attempt to fix it during the round once I've started, I keep doing it.

Then I can go out the next round and not do it once, without knowingly changing my swing in any way. 

mrw-my-mom-asks-me-where-all-my-money-we

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Pitch & putt course? 

::troll::

Didn't even notice the yardage and par. Driver > lob wedge on most of those par 4s! :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Come on now lads eh!

Not the longest course in the world but the yardage doesn't paint the whole picture. You need to be pin point off the tee or you've no shot on many of the holes.

The course record was broken on Sunday though, we've a member who plays off +1 went round in 61.

32 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Come on now lads eh!

Not the longest course in the world but the yardage doesn't paint the whole picture. You need to be pin point off the tee or you've no shot on many of the holes.

The course record was broken on Sunday though, we've a member who plays off +1 went round in 61.

I'd be ****ed since at the weekend I started hooking my drives about 80 yards left of where I was aiming. :facepalm:

47 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd be ****ed since at the weekend I started hooking my drives about 80 yards left of where I was aiming. :facepalm:

Right hand grip could be too strong - both 'V's pointing to your left ear...

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Right hand grip could be too strong - both 'V's pointing to your left ear...

Both Vs point at my right ear. Isn't a strong grip when they point way past your right shoulder? 

Edited by Ray Gin