Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

7 minutes ago, sinks said:

Never played there for years...Locals still burying bricks in bunkers just below sand level ?

???

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, sinks said:

Never played there for years...Locals still burying bricks in bunkers just below sand level ?

I wouldn't know, first time I've played it in a year and thankfully I managed to avoid all the bunkers.

The greens were actually in decent nick, except for a couple where they'd left the sprinkers on too long. The one photographed above was the only horror.

Edited by Ray Gin

2 hours ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

So after 6 weeks of  taking up golf I submitted my last scorecard yesterday in regard to playing for handicap and no have my first ever official handicap of 29. Kinda of disappointed tbh as i thought i was going to get a handicap of 24 but totally messed up my round yesterday scoring an 11 on a hole i have par'd twice before.

Hopefully after a bit more practice i can get my handicap down quickly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the process of reducing your handicap.   Just keep in mind two things.

You don't need to knock huge lumps off at a time off your handicap.    Even small cuts are steps in the right direction.

Running up a few big scores at holes in your competitions is not a major obstacle to your progression.    You're starting off with plenty of shots to cope with the odd 7 and 8.    You can't expect too much of yourself too quickly.    The bigger scores will always be adjusted to a net double bogey for handicap purposes in any case.

Just enjoy the journey.    There's no actual destination.

Also - play to bogey each hole.. Dont go for greens in 2 if it means you have to hit your best shot ever to get there. Sometimes it is better to play safe, take bunkers / trees / water etc.. out of play..  Lay up.. get really good at hitting 100yrd wedges - 

If you can get on the green in 3, there is a chance of a 4... but a bogey on every hole will win you pretty much any medal you play in. 

John mcCartney

what hole is that at craigentinny ?,i grew up nearby and frequented that course a lot in my teens.....its completely changed with all the trees there now
on the (w)hole its a lot better in design,look and ,erm, greenkeeping i reckon....although i never play there now its a more than decent course to play when its dry

we got up to loads of mischief back in the late 70s and early -mid 80s there.....

never done the bricks tho honest,thats nasty................only whacking drives out of the course sometimes on summer nights :peek_by_Andrin:

59 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

what hole is that at craigentinny ?,i grew up nearby and frequented that course a lot in my teens.....its completely changed with all the trees there now
on the (w)hole its a lot better in design,look and ,erm, greenkeeping i reckon....although i never play there now its a more than decent course to play when its dry

we got up to loads of mischief back in the late 70s and early -mid 80s there.....

never done the bricks tho honest,thats nasty................only whacking drives out of the course sometimes on summer nights :peek_by_Andrin:

Think it was the 12th, par 4 down the hill before the long par 3.

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Think it was the 12th, par 4 down the hill before the long par 3.

What's Craigentinny like as a course? Only council course I've played in Edinburgh is Silverknowes - didn't mind there at all, the village idiots on the 18th not so much :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What's Craigentinny like as a course? Only council course I've played in Edinburgh is Silverknowes - didn't mind there at all, the village idiots on the 18th not so much :lol:

Fairly flat parkland with a couple of quirky holes. Braid Hills best of the group by miles. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fairly flat parkland with a couple of quirky holes. Braid Hills best of the group by miles. 

None of them have really struck me as worth the trip over to Edinburgh. Although I'm always on the lookout for tricky courses for my society outings.

39 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

As above, Braids is the best of the Edinburgh Leisure council courses. It's also the easiest to lose lots of balls on. :lol:  Really hilly with lots of awkward lies and gorses everywhere but some great views.

Craigentinny is pretty short (most holes were a 3-wood > wedge for me), no par 5s but has a couple of tough par 3s that are over 200 yards. It's quite flat but has pretty unforgiving rough if you're as wild off the tee as I am.

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

None of them have really struck me as worth the trip over to Edinburgh. Although I'm always on the lookout for tricky courses for my society outings.

The Braids will be worth a round to experience it although it's the type of course that would need to be played a second time once you have an idea how to play some holes. 

In terms of outings, Gullane 2 and 3, Mortonhall, King's Acre, Newbattle and Longniddry worth a shout. 

I know you've played Liberton and enjoyed it. They have a good set up for outings. Glencorse is worth a look although it's been several years since I played it. Lots of par 3s but only one under 200 yards IIRC. 

West Linton a bit further out but a decent track. 

On the other side of the Forth, I really liked Muckhart. Three sets of 9 hole layouts. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

As above, Braids is the best of the Edinburgh Leisure council courses. It's also the easiest to lose lots of balls on. :lol:  Really hilly with lots of awkward lies and gorses everywhere but some great views.

Craigentinny is pretty short (most holes were a 3-wood > wedge for me), no par 5s but has a couple of tough par 3s that are over 200 yards. It's quite flat but has pretty unforgiving rough if you're as wild off the tee as I am.

I'd probably be strung up if I took the boys to the Braids :lol:

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The Braids will be worth a round to experience it although it's the type of course that would need to be played a second time once you have an idea how to play some holes. 

In terms of outings, Gullane 2 and 3, Mortonhall, King's Acre, Newbattle and Longniddry worth a shout. 

I know you've played Liberton and enjoyed it. They have a good set up for outings. Glencorse is worth a look although it's been several years since I played it. Lots of par 3s but only one under 200 yards IIRC. 

West Linton a bit further out but a decent track. 

We're playing Liberton this year, we've also played Broomieknowe which I really enjoyed. Our problem is we have a certain price point and most of the Edinburgh courses are above that, by quite a bit!

I find the best value is to be had in Perth/Angus - we've played Strathmore, Alyth, Pitlochry, Arbroath, Muckhart, Murrayshall and Ballumbie Castle in recent years, all under £40 including food.

hmfc_liam06
28 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm playing Niddry Castle on Saturday. Only £16 for a post-12pm tee-off via teeofftimes.co.uk.

Eyemouth for me this Saturday.

If you've never played Niddry Castle before, watch yourself on the 4th/5th!

Braid Hills is awesome.    Especially off the back tees.    The first 6 are fairly straightforward and the 10-12 holes as well.    But once you get to the 13th tee it becomes quite a test,  from the tee and on the slopier greens.     There are some superb driving holes at 7, 8, 14 and 16.    17 is one of the hardest par 3 tee shots around off the back tee.      

I'm actually now thinking about joining a couple of the clubs up there in order to play a bit of medal golf away from my course.     

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'd probably be strung up if I took the boys to the Braids :lol:

We're playing Liberton this year, we've also played Broomieknowe which I really enjoyed. Our problem is we have a certain price point and most of the Edinburgh courses are above that, by quite a bit!

I find the best value is to be had in Perth/Angus - we've played Strathmore, Alyth, Pitlochry, Arbroath, Muckhart, Murrayshall and Ballumbie Castle in recent years, all under £40 including food.

King's Acre at Lasswade is in your price range and is set up for accommodating groups for outings. 

Nice course, good range and practice facilities and food is reasonable. 

Last year it was about £40 for golf, lunch /dinner and range balls. £50ish for 27 holes, lunch and dinner and range balls. 

5 minutes from city bypass, Lasswade Junction. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Braid Hills is awesome.    Especially off the back tees.    The first 6 are fairly straightforward and the 10-12 holes as well.    But once you get to the 13th tee it becomes quite a test,  from the tee and on the slopier greens.     There are some superb driving holes at 7, 8, 14 and 16.    17 is one of the hardest par 3 tee shots around off the back tee.      

I'm actually now thinking about joining a couple of the clubs up there in order to play a bit of medal golf away from my course.     

7 is a superb hole and probably my favourite. Fairway down below and having to plot your way to a safe landing area. Elevated green which is sloped. 

I was delighted to drain a birdie on it during a schools championship tournament. Followed it up by carving two tee shots into the gorse on the par 3!

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

7 is a superb hole and probably my favourite. Fairway down below and having to plot your way to a safe landing area. Elevated green which is sloped. 

I was delighted to drain a birdie on it during a schools championship tournament. Followed it up by carving two tee shots into the gorse on the par 3!

No that's the 8th with the elevated green.    The par 3 is the 9th.

7 and 8 are both superb driving holes.    

hmfc_liam06
32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

King's Acre at Lasswade is in your price range and is set up for accommodating groups for outings. 

Nice course, good range and practice facilities and food is reasonable. 

Last year it was about £40 for golf, lunch /dinner and range balls. £50ish for 27 holes, lunch and dinner and range balls. 

5 minutes from city bypass, Lasswade Junction. 

I have a free voucher for Kings Acre, I'll likely scope it out and see what's what.

Does anyone fancy joining the ballot for the old course with me this Saturday? It’s 180 quid for the round but I’m desperate to play. I’ve thought about doing the single golfer but at this time of the year you need to be at the starter box about half 4 in the morning and that doesn’t suit. The ballot is  just a lottery and you can end up with any time but you need a minimum of 2 players to enter it.

John mcCartney

re the council courses,braids have an gents open going on via harrison golf club,iirc late july
and craigentinny`s via the lochend open....if any bod intrstd

im hoping that my new driver is arriving this weekend,ping g400 with their tour shaft
had somegreat results on the trackman at the braids the other night with it
going duddingston open on saturday

hmfc_liam06
52 minutes ago, VivaObua said:

Does anyone fancy joining the ballot for the old course with me this Saturday? It’s 180 quid for the round but I’m desperate to play. I’ve thought about doing the single golfer but at this time of the year you need to be at the starter box about half 4 in the morning and that doesn’t suit. The ballot is  just a lottery and you can end up with any time but you need a minimum of 2 players to enter it.

If you're paying :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, Victorian said:

No that's the 8th with the elevated green.    The par 3 is the 9th.

7 and 8 are both superb driving holes.    

Cheers, I stand corrected!?

Into the 16s of the matchplay.    Giving 2 shots and was largely untroubled until later.   4 up with 4 to go but managed to skull a chip to lose my first hole of the game.   Giving a shot at the next.    It could have got hairy but I got a half against the shot.    It's early to be in the 16s so the golf should be better by the time that comes around.    

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Into the 16s of the matchplay.    Giving 2 shots and was largely untroubled until later.   4 up with 4 to go but managed to skull a chip to lose my first hole of the game.   Giving a shot at the next.    It could have got hairy but I got a half against the shot.    It's early to be in the 16s so the golf should be better by the time that comes around.    

Which club are you at? 

Tommy Brown
On 5/23/2018 at 11:08, Victorian said:

Not played the Braids #1 since the 80's. Fantastic course. Need to make a point of playing again.

Edit

Western Golf club have the Harrison Open on Sat 18th August.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Really enjoyed Niddrie Castle today. Pretty radge layout, you definitely needed to have your wits about you.

Pretty happy with an 86 in really windy conditions. 5 irons going 240 yards one hole, and then smashing 2 solid hits with a 3 wood and still not reaching the green on a par 4 on the next hole with the wind blowing the other way.

Only used my driver 3 times again. One ended up on the wrong fairway, one luckily sliced around a dogleg to the right and ended up a belter, and one out of bounds. I used to love my driver. :(

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not played the Braids #1 since the 80's. Fantastic course. Need to make a point of playing again.

Edit

Western Golf club have the Harrison Open on Sat 18th August.

It's not Braids #1 now. There's just a Braids and Wee Braids.

Had a game over at the hirsel this morning. Played in there “festival of golf” which is on all weekend. A very well run competition and the course is in good nick too. 

Only managed 3 points in the first 4 holes so that was my score buggered. Got better after that including 5 birdies. Very enjoyable. 

Championship qualifier in the morning round eyemouth. Left myself with a lot to do after sleeping in for the first qualifier last weekend :levein2:

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's not Braids #1 now. There's just a Braids and Wee Braids.

Is it still the same course since the 80's?

Workmates were members of the Western and "caddied" me to an 81 first time out.

Tees 3 and 4, I had no idea what to do without them. As 14 and 16, fantastic holes.

"Just hit it straight", "what if I don't?", "Just hit it straight" :lol:

Never scored anywhere near that again.

Braids #2, holy ****, mental.

Winter course was a mix of the two, it was good.

What ball is everyone hitting?    I've been on pro-v1 or pro-v1x for years but I'm going to try using the Titleist Velocity to hopefully crowbar out what might be a 10 yard gain.    I seem to be forever toiling for decent distance and 10-15/20 yards per hole could make a difference.    I think I might even prefer a harder feel off the putter face.     It's worth a look anyway and the Velocity seems to get reasonable reviews for a non-premium ball.

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

What ball is everyone hitting?    I've been on pro-v1 or pro-v1x for years but I'm going to try using the Titleist Velocity to hopefully crowbar out what might be a 10 yard gain.    I seem to be forever toiling for decent distance and 10-15/20 yards per hole could make a difference.    I think I might even prefer a harder feel off the putter face.     It's worth a look anyway and the Velocity seems to get reasonable reviews for a non-premium ball.

Using pro v1x for years now. Tried they callaway football things during the winter and they felt horrendous and I lost about 10 yards so that was enough with experimenting :laugh4:

Armageddon

US Kids European Championships down East Lothian this week coming ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️ It’s meant to be fun but it’s stressful as feck on the inside!!

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

I was pro v 1x for a fair few years, then last season I started using the Nike rzn tour platinum balls as someone on here mentioned them, for 19.99 a dozen they are brilliant, bought pro v1 at the start of this year and I think I’ll be sticking with them, superior around the greens to the x, IMO.

Edited by Irufushi

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, StSow said:

Had a game over at the hirsel this morning. Played in there “festival of golf” which is on all weekend. A very well run competition and the course is in good nick too. 

Only managed 3 points in the first 4 holes so that was my score buggered. Got better after that including 5 birdies. Very enjoyable. 

Championship qualifier in the morning round eyemouth. Left myself with a lot to do after sleeping in for the first qualifier last weekend :levein2:

Played Eyemouth today. Some run outs, 155 yard PW :lol:

10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

US Kids European Championships down East Lothian this week coming ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️ It’s meant to be fun but it’s stressful as feck on the inside!!

It is a great idea to showcase courses but Craigielaw is hosting parts of it and I couldn’t get a tee time at all today or yesterday!

As an aside, I am going to take part in my first medal next week in order to get a handicap. I’m not going to lie I am a little bit nervous as I haven’t played in a medal since my junior days at monktonhall and I don’t really know anyone at the club. Anyone got any advice or should I just throw caution to the wind and stop being a girls blouse and give it a bash?

7 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

It is a great idea to showcase courses but Craigielaw is hosting parts of it and I couldn’t get a tee time at all today or yesterday!

As an aside, I am going to take part in my first medal next week in order to get a handicap. I’m not going to lie I am a little bit nervous as I haven’t played in a medal since my junior days at monktonhall and I don’t really know anyone at the club. Anyone got any advice or should I just throw caution to the wind and stop being a girls blouse and give it a bash?

Don't go out expecting to produce a 'perfect' 18 hole score.     Accept that mistakes will happen.   A lost ball,  a penalty drop,  leaving a shot in the bunker,  a few three putts.   Accept that you wont have 18 holes of 5 or better.    Accept a 7 if it comes along.    Count a score to level 5s.    Every 3 or 4 is a gain.    

29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Don't go out expecting to produce a 'perfect' 18 hole score.     Accept that mistakes will happen.   A lost ball,  a penalty drop,  leaving a shot in the bunker,  a few three putts.   Accept that you wont have 18 holes of 5 or better.    Accept a 7 if it comes along.    Count a score to level 5s.    Every 3 or 4 is a gain.    

Thanks Victorian, I tend to aim for level 5s as I go round but recently have been wildly inconsistent. Sometimes getting a birdie and 3 or 4 pars on a round but that being tempered by 7s, 8s and even an 11 last week! Need to get started at some point or other I guess!

1 hour ago, dicksojo said:

Thanks Victorian, I tend to aim for level 5s as I go round but recently have been wildly inconsistent. Sometimes getting a birdie and 3 or 4 pars on a round but that being tempered by 7s, 8s and even an 11 last week! Need to get started at some point or other I guess!

Well good luck and hopefully no 11s and such like.

paleredfox
On 19/05/2018 at 14:31, Bigsmak said:

If anyone is looking for a GPS or something - You can buy the ShotScope V2 for £90 if you buy it in the next few days - 

https://shotscope.com/buy-v2/

Use the code lastchance  at checkout - Think it should work even if you haven't bought a first one. 

Upgrade offer will end in 1 week!

V2 comes with an LCD screen which provides on course distances to the front, middle and back of greens and hazards so that you can stay one step ahead of every course in the world! It is 2 devices in 1!

How do I upgrade? 

Upgrading couldn't be simpler. Just enter the code below when checking out and the price will reduce to £90/$100 depending on your location.

lastchance

Thank you!  If this gets delivered then good times.   

Tommy Brown
52 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

CSS 70 today...

...your man hits a net 70 :lol:

That's 4 medals in a row!

any daft triple bogeys or worse?

You can stil get cut if you have.

19 hours ago, Victorian said:

I was gifted 2 boxes of these earlier in the year and enjoy the feel when putting and have noticed a few more yards of the tee but I can't seem to trust the ball with my short game. Took me 3/4 weeks of thinning it and 10 ft putts for par that I got rid not for me.

Well I've bought a dozen Velocity balls so might as well try 'em out now.    They're supposed to be ok for full iron shots but the short chips is where the major difference is.    Should be able to adjust accordingly.

In the meantime,  I've just rescued a dozen pro-vs from a bag of discarded balls.    Quick refurb and even refreshed all the sharpie pen identifiers.  :vrface:

That's half an hour I'll never get back.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

any daft triple bogeys or worse?

You can stil get cut if you have.

Nope :thumbsdown:

Played a stableford at Ullapool today, poor front nine, +3 for 16 points, second nine was much better -2 for 21 points, had a look at birdie on 6 of the back nine! should make buffer. 

18 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played Eyemouth today. Some run outs, 155 yard PW :lol:

Haha I see what you mean. Think we need the rain instead of fog! 

Shot 72, 2 birds 2 bogeys. Holed nowt as I couldn’t get the ball to the hole. Next week...

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, StSow said:

Haha I see what you mean. Think we need the rain instead of fog! 

Shot 72, 2 birds 2 bogeys. Holed nowt as I couldn’t get the ball to the hole. Next week...

It was impossible to get it close. Courses desperately need some rain.

12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It was impossible to get it close. Courses desperately need some rain.

Tricky but not impossible, 72 without holing anything over 6 foot, probably 6 good chances of birdies inside 20 feet. Takes time to adapt to a hard fast course but I’d personally have it like that all year round.