Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Just back from the driving range. I don't think my driver will be joining me on tomorrow's outing.

:sob:

Duck hook > Push slice > Scuttler > Hook > Scoop > Slice. All over the place, utterly ridiculous. By contrast I was hitting my irons beautifully - possibly the best I've ever hit them.

shrug-house.gif

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Barack said:

Guess what part of your game will now die on its arse tomorrow...

Good point, almost guaranteed. Might as well take the driver, I'll probably start ripping it while chunking all my irons.

Dunkeld & Birnam.

Never played it but it actually looks pretty short, hence considering leaving the driver at home. 3 wood will definitely be the more sensible option. I might even just use a 4 iron on some holes if I'm hitting them as pure as I did earlier on.

1st round of the club matchplay tie later today.     Drawn against the best player in the draw.

:muggy:

Getting precious few shots so it will be a real challenge but I've won my fair share of ties against cat1 players over the years.     Who's to say it will be harder than giving away 6-7 shots to some masked highwayman of the fairways?    

As always in a tie,   it can be heavily influenced by scoreboard pressure and how kind Mr Putter decides to be.

hmfc_liam06
13 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Dunkeld & Birnam.

Never played it but it actually looks pretty short, hence considering leaving the driver at home. 3 wood will definitely be the more sensible option. I might even just use a 4 iron on some holes if I'm hitting them as pure as I did earlier on.

I played it last year but don't have the greatest recollection of it. Front 9 was a bit trickier and quirkier than the back 9 which is fairly wide open.

Last hole is a cracker.

Fairly poor +4, 72 for me in perfect conditions, css is 66 at my course just now with course construction shortening 2 holes . Miles off buffer. 

Had 2 pars on my first 10 holes ?

And that's a win.   Never holed much and missed chances but hit out of my skin.    Stayed in it while behind and gave myself a chance.    Opponent made a couple of errors near the end which were hoovered up.    Hit circa 75 and that's only my second game in 6 months.     This will be a good year.

I've only been playing a couple of years and have a handicap of 19.2 but should get a decent cut after 42 points in the stableford :sweeet:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, robbodog said:

I've only been playing a couple of years and have a handicap of 19.2 but should get a decent cut after 42 points in the stableford :sweeet:

Bandito! ?

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Bandito! ?

Not the first time I've been called that tbh. Last year was my first real season playing and I won 4 trophies and half a dozen medals ?

Got an open 2 man Texas scramble tomorrow , I may wear a sombrero :cornette_dog:

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I played it last year but don't have the greatest recollection of it. Front 9 was a bit trickier and quirkier than the back 9 which is fairly wide open.

Last hole is a cracker.

Really enjoyed it. Only used the driver twice with decent results. Irons decent too. Putted like an absolute *****.

6 x 3-putts. 1 x 4-putts. 0 x 1-putts.

53 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Really enjoyed it. Only used the driver twice with decent results. Irons decent too. Putted like an absolute *****.

Not or a single 1 putt? ? you using a blindfold , Ray? 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

It was absolutely soaking when I played it, will need to get back during the summer.

All the golf I am playing is either a medal or a tie.. I think I've forgotten how to enjoy the game..

Setting that.. I still go bonkers sometimes with a card in my hand. 

Any advice on how to try and relax and enjoy it again? 

Edited by Bigsmak
Xxx

21 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Not or a single 1 putt? ? you using a blindfold , Ray? 

I'd probably have had more success if I was. :lol:

Couldnt get to grips with the speed of the greens at all.

hmfc_liam06

Played Turnhouse today for the first time. Decent course with some interesting holes, really enjoyed 13 & 14.

Greens didn't look great but ran pretty well.

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

All the golf I am playing is either a medal or a tie.. I think I've forgotten how to enjoy the game..

Setting that.. I still go bonkers sometimes with a card in my hand. 

Any advice on how to try and relax and enjoy it again? 

Step away from competition and just get out for a few rounds with your mates?

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Barack said:

This. Just an utter pisstaking when our group gets together. 

I don’t know how folk can continually play competition, too stressful for little gain, well for me anyway :lol:

Today was ideal. Cheap deal, sunshine and a stress free knock about with my mate.

Nothing wrong with the advice but I tend to disagree.     Bigsmak plays to a good standard and you don't get to the standard by not being competitive or avoiding being competitive.     

I think if a good club player has lost a bit of enjoyment of the game then it will only really return from achievements.    Decent scores,  winning ties,  etc.     If it isn't happening then you just play through it.     You don't have to shoot the lights out to be happy with a medal score.    Even getting a buffer counts as an achievement.

Don't shy away from medals because that's the truest test of golf.

hmfc_liam06
9 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

All about the competition for me . Love it. 

Scrambles could be a good way for him to play competitive but with the social/relaxed aspect a scramble brings.

Round 4 of 5 done Florida. Courses have been a different class. Only the matter of arnies bay hill tomorrow to go though...

In a 2 week spell I will have played 3 knock outs - 2 team matches and 5 medals. 

My lass hates me... lol

Disser Pointon

My driving has completely gone to pot which is frustrating because the rest of my game is decent and not getting it away off the tee kills you at our place. Got far too many swing thoughts when I step on to the tee now. 

Tommy Brown

On 13/05/2018 at 20:04, Irufushi said:

All about the competition for me . Love it. 

I'm the same, medals only.

Can't be arsed with bounce games unless it's an away course.

Disser Pointon
7 hours ago, Barack said:

Comfy golf shoes: Budget £60-£70.

Recommend?

Look online for last year's Footjoy Pro SL or a pair of Skechers, both like slippers and should be around that price. 

I have a nice pair of summer shoes.  Adidas Adizero.    Lightweight perforated material tops.    You can fair feel the circulation of air around your feet if there's a breeze.   Remarkably they stay dry during a light shower of rain.   Very light and comfortable.

Hi folks, getting back into the golf. I’ve not had a membership for years and need a new set of clubs. Can someone point me in direction of a cheapish/decent set of clubs for starting again 

hmfc_liam06
58 minutes ago, JMuir94 said:

Hi folks, getting back into the golf. I’ve not had a membership for years and need a new set of clubs. Can someone point me in direction of a cheapish/decent set of clubs for starting again 

If you just fancy a set of second hand clubs, have a look on the various trader pages on Facebook - always something on the go.

I’d recommend going to a local pro and having a shot of some second hand clubs, try before you buy . 

hmfc_liam06

CSS does my tits in. 

Every time I beat handicap, the CSS is lower. That's the 5th time I've bagged 38 points in the Thursday stableford and I've yet to receive a single cut. Demoralising. 

23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

CSS does my tits in. 

Every time I beat handicap, the CSS is lower. That's the 5th time I've bagged 38 points in the Thursday stableford and I've yet to receive a single cut. Demoralising. 

I hear ya, I’ve been avoiding my course this year, usually par 69 , css 68, but a par 4 has been shortened to a par 3 and it’s now par 68 , css 65 !! Played my last competition for the year at my home course for this year . **** that. 

I’ll Stick to selecting courses with generous css for away comps this season.

To be honest,   a css that comes down that often sounds like the standard ss is not reflective and could well be reviewed down at some point.     Sounds a bit unlucky.     Consistent scoring though and it just needs a very slight move forward to start chipping bits of the h/c.

hmfc_liam06
30 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I hear ya, I’ve been avoiding my course this year, usually par 69 , css 68, but a par 4 has been shortened to a par 3 and it’s now par 68 , css 65 !! Played my last competition for the year at my home course for this year . **** that. 

I’ll Stick to selecting courses with generous css for away comps this season.

We're a par 68 with SSS 67 but the CSS is regularly 66. Unless you go out and have a stormer you've no chance. You cat 1 guys would have to hit 37 points stableford to not go up .1 :lol:

Funny enough, my biggest cut was the Liberton open last year. Your point on playing opens is the same point I've been making to my mate this morning. It's actually driving folk away from the club.

This went completely out my mind but has suddenly returned.   Has anyone else seen the new 2018 CONGU handicap system update?     It now allows for a maximum handicap of 54.

:cornette:

What was it?    28?      WTAF with 54?

If anyone is looking for a GPS or something - You can buy the ShotScope V2 for £90 if you buy it in the next few days - 

https://shotscope.com/buy-v2/

Use the code lastchance  at checkout - Think it should work even if you haven't bought a first one. 

Upgrade offer will end in 1 week!

V2 comes with an LCD screen which provides on course distances to the front, middle and back of greens and hazards so that you can stay one step ahead of every course in the world! It is 2 devices in 1!

How do I upgrade? 

Upgrading couldn't be simpler. Just enter the code below when checking out and the price will reduce to £90/$100 depending on your location.

lastchance

Tommy Brown

At last, I manage to hold a round together.

90-15 = 65 (69 sss)

Only the one double bogey and birdie at the last.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

At last, I manage to hold a round together.

90-15 = 65 (69 sss)

Only the one double bogey and birdie at the last.

learn to check before posting :facepalm:

80-15 = 65

Out the Dispatch.   Both pairs 2 down thru 17 and 18.   Both were ahead.    The finishing 4-5 holes are where you absolutely must produce and if you dont,  you will get burned.

Not good enough.  Weak shots.    When you haven't done your best,  it hurts.

WalterWhite
On 17/05/2018 at 13:15, JMuir94 said:

Golfclubs4cash out at loanhead is brilliant a lot of sets of irons depending on your budget the boys in there are good and know there stuff to get the best for you .

They have a website too easy to filter what your looking for and price range lot of information about the irons.

hmfc_liam06

Thursday CSS 66...I shoot a net 66.

Saturday CSS 68...I shoot a net 68.

Destined to never get a cut :lol:

I made buffer yesterday at Nairn Dunbar, 77-2 . Css was 75. Was going along nicely and threw away shots like confetti on 13/14/16. All from the middle of the fairway. 

Made bogey on 13 from 240 yards out layed up to 66 yards and made a mess of it , walked off with a 6.

Put my 3 wood on 14 ten yards short of the green and made a bogey.

16 I ripped my drive into the wind and had 210 left and stuck my second OB , double bogey 7 :facepalm: 

so frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The greenskeepers were doing a fine job at Craigentinny today

DSC_0119.jpg

:vrface:

Christ that's a blast from the past.    

The rotating sprinkler type had a mechanism that glanced against the jet of water to rotate the head.   You could stop the arm and stick a tee peg in to stop the thing rotating while you putted out.     Forgetting to remove the tee led to the odd waterlogged green.

HeinzTomatoSoup

So after 6 weeks of  taking up golf I submitted my last scorecard yesterday in regard to playing for handicap and no have my first ever official handicap of 29. Kinda of disappointed tbh as i thought i was going to get a handicap of 24 but totally messed up my round yesterday scoring an 11 on a hole i have par'd twice before.

Hopefully after a bit more practice i can get my handicap down quickly.

2 minutes ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

So after 6 weeks of  taking up golf I submitted my last scorecard yesterday in regard to playing for handicap and no have my first ever official handicap of 29. Kinda of disappointed tbh as i thought i was going to get a handicap of 24 but totally messed up my round yesterday scoring an 11 on a hole i have par'd twice before.

Hopefully after a bit more practice i can get my handicap down quickly.

That just means you'll be able to submit a bandit score in the next medal.

:D

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The greenskeepers were doing a fine job at Craigentinny today

DSC_0119.jpg

:vrface:

Never played there for years...Locals still burying bricks in bunkers just below sand level ?