Stevie Banks (merged threads)

siegementality

siegementality
This thread's murder , half the people posting are on my ignore list and i can still guess what they're saying,

over & over & over & over again.

I just think Bank's was given a choice this week , play (and probably play your last season here) or coach, and be at the club long term ?

Who knows?

What are you talking about?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charlie-Brown

Csaba wanted Banks role clarified and said during the week he wasn't really the goalkeeper he was just the coach who was currently occupying the jersey.

Well Banks role has been clarified and he is now a coach and won't be playing again in the first team - whether he is happy or unhappy with his new role that is a matter for Steve Banks and his employers.

If he's not going to be the senior goalkeeping coach then presumably somebody else is and I'm sure the club will inform us when they announce the appointment.

We have Jamie MacDonald and Marian Kello as first team squad goalkeepers, Basso is still on the books, Banks is still registered for this season at least and Csaba may yet sign another goalkeeper - meanwhile Bjornsson, Ridgers & Falzon are younger keepers also fulltime at Hearts.

I think some people are looking for problems at any/every opportunity.

I think that what is a concern is that it all appears to have happened very suddenly. I have no problem with Banks moving to a coaching role, nor with Jamie Mc getting a chance.

The only question is that why, as Banks was our established no 1 keeper, is a decision made and he's suddenly dropped? They could have told the fans, given him a last game and got Jamie Mc started with us in a far easier game.

I don't think that throwing jamie in at the deep end and the sudden removal of Banks from the team was the best decision, regardless of who made the decision - if it was Csaba then I think he made the wrong choice.

Guest JamboRobbo

And others are looking for excuses at any/every opportunity.

Charlie-Brown

What excuses? Hearts explained what happened, Csaba also gave his comments and backing to the decision so what's the problem?

Ok, you've lost me with that one.

How can Hearts fans giving their opinion on a website prevent Csaba from doing his job?

Ok, yeah I know they are different.

But every decision Csaba makes is coming under scrutiny. The (pointless) Kello thread and this one to an extent are examples.

Do you know that Vlad is interfering. No. And of course vice-versa. But we should give him time before getting our knickers in a twist over things that turn out to be nothing and I'm sure this will just be the same. I would bet my bottom dollar (:o) on there being an interview with Banksy on Hearts world tomorrow.

But again yes Romanov letting him get on with the job and us letting him get on with the job are different and maybe my points are well pointless but I think we all should trust him and let him get on with it.

Jambof3tornado

Why would Banks,an inexperienced coach think he was going to jump right into the 3rd biggest club in scotland 1st team coaching set up?? I think there are plenty better coaches out there and we shall see one arrive very soon.

Banksy never let us down,but football is football,and **** happens.

Guest JamboRobbo
What excuses? Hearts explained what happened, Csaba also gave his comments and backing to the decision so what's the problem?

There's little to be gained by repeating it again. You're entitled to your opinion, as always, that there is nothing wrong here.

I'm entitled to my opinion also, and IMO, this decision has Vlads fingerprints all over it. I don't expect you to agree with me, but you can respect my right, to have my own opinion.

Dirk Diggler

To be honest JR i'm struggling to find anyone looking for excuses.

I can see many examples of people looking for problems.

Everybody loves Baz

Correct !

The White Cockade

If Steve Banks was happy to be made Youth Team Coach then thats great

We'd all like to hear that is the case

it hardly seems likely to be honest

If the Mad One is sticking his nose in again and making these decisions then that is a major problem

Why?

because after Csaba getting the players focussed, fit and motivated that kind of action would put us back to square one again The players will become disheartened and demotivated and we will have another diabolical season like last year was

Thats how important it is

Off on a tangent (maybe) but why would any decent manager play Karipidis in midfield when he is so obviously out of position and Jonsson and Palazuelos would do a better job?

Is Csaba being told to play him to put him in the shop window?

Guest JamboRobbo

Fair enough mate. I'm not claiming to be right, just to be giving my opinion.

To me, the goalkeeping changes this week have Vlads fingerprints all over them. I appreciate others see it differently. If it turns out they don't, I'll be delighted.

Time will tell.

Drylaw Hearts
Csaba wanted Banks role clarified and said during the week he wasn't really the goalkeeper he was just the coach who was currently occupying the jersey.

Well Banks role has been clarified and he is now a coach and won't be playing again in the first team - whether he is happy or unhappy with his new role that is a matter for Steve Banks and his employers.

If he's not going to be the senior goalkeeping coach then presumably somebody else is and I'm sure the club will inform us when they announce the appointment.

We have Jamie MacDonald and Marian Kello as first team squad goalkeepers, Basso is still on the books, Banks is still registered for this season at least and Csaba may yet sign another goalkeeper - meanwhile Bjornsson, Ridgers & Falzon are younger keepers also fulltime at Hearts.

If Banks wasn't really the Goalkeeper then why didn't Csaba give Jamie MacDonald more match time during Pre-Season ?

What was Csaba thinking about by playing a Coach instead of a 'real' Goalkeeper ?

siegementality

When did he say that? can you post a link please?

And that is not worthy of debate? If Banks is unhappy with the decision it doesn't concern us? what does concern us? what is worthy of debate?

Ah so you can presume something but no-one else can? A simple announcement clarifing the position when the Banks announcment would have helped.

And Banks is better than them all IMO.

and some people simply can't debate a subject where there are obviously questions to be answered.

See above.

Ok, yeah I know they are different.

But every decision Csaba makes is coming under scrutiny. The (pointless) Kello thread and this one to an extent are examples. QUOTE]

Csaba's our manager - all managers decisions come under scrutiny. The overwhelming impression i'm getting is that because Csaba appears to have made a particular decision it's therefore right and good. He will, like all managers, make the wrong decisions sometimes. Why can't we debate this decision on it's own merits without the point that "Csaba wanted it" as being the deciding argument in it's favour?

siegementality
Why would Banks,an inexperienced coach think he was going to jump right into the 3rd biggest club in scotland 1st team coaching set up?? I think there are plenty better coaches out there and we shall see one arrive very soon.

Banksy never let us down,but football is football,and **** happens.

Why have the club taken so long to replace Jim Stewart then given that there are "plenty better coaches out there"?

Why did the club leave "Banks, an inexperienced coach" in part time charge for so long?

The White Cockade

If Banks wasn't really the Goalkeeper then why didn't Csaba give Jamie MacDonald more match time during Pre-Season ?

What was Csaba thinking about by playing a Coach instead of a 'real' Goalkeeper ?

Spot on!

The decision was obviously made at extremely short notice just prior to the Rangers game (mmm thats sounds familiar)

Otherwise why not start the season with Jamie in goal?

Banks was given a 2.5 year contract to keep him at the club after an approach by Rangers -- this contract was on a greatly increased salary and came with the added coaching responsibilities -- this was awarded by Vlad himself at a time when the pressure was on due to our distinctly average form and management changes.

We now have a new manager who does not feel that you can play and coach at the same time -- He did state that Banks was his current number one but did also indicate he was in the market for another goalkeeper -- So a decision has to be made -- does Banks stay as a goalkeeper and not number one choice or convert to coaching full time -- Banks is told that the policy is moving more to that of young players (remember comments about wanting reserves to be the bridge between 19's and first team).

He is aware that he can stay but may not even be number two goalkeeper in the near future -- he can stay as coach on his salary or he can leave if he wants to continue playing -- he will find it difficult at 36 to find a club willing to pay his current salary and to be first choice -- added to this is the fact that he has moved his family up to Edinburgh full time and does not want to uproot them.

He chooses coaching -- the only question that has to be answered is does he coach all the teams or just the youth team -- if all the teams then it could be said great faith is being placed in him -- if just the youngsters then it is clear that he is being moved aside as part of the sweeping changes at the club.

The choice yesterday was simple -- why play a player who had no future playing for the club--hence choice of Macdonald.

PS the delay in implementing this decision can be explained easily -- Csaba has only been in 5 weeks -- he cannot change everything at once and slowly is assessing those on his playing and coaching staff -- then came the point where decisions had to be made and they were quickly and depending on your point of view decisively or cruelly.

Banks is/was a good goalkeeper but not a great one -- he can be replaced -- lets just hope the new custodian matches up to the majority of his recent predecessors.

siegementality
If Steve Banks was happy to be made Youth Team Coach then thats great

We'd all like to hear that is the case

it hardly seems likely to be honest

If the Mad One is sticking his nose in again and making these decisions then that is a major problem

Why?

because after Csaba getting the players focussed, fit and motivated that kind of action would put us back to square one again The players will become disheartened and demotivated and we will have another diabolical season like last year was

Thats how important it is

Off on a tangent (maybe) but why would any decent manager play Karipidis in midfield when he is so obviously out of position and Jonsson and Palazuelos would do a better job?

Is Csaba being told to play him to put him in the shop window?

Given someone posted that the players were shocked Banks wasn't even on the coach on Saturday could this have affected the teams performance?

Dirk Diggler

Why did the club leave "Banks, an inexperienced coach" in part time charge for so long?

Maybe Romanov was being too soft and Csaba has informed him he ain't up to the task?

:)

Ok' date=' yeah I know they are different.

But every decision Csaba makes is coming under scrutiny. The (pointless) Kello thread and this one to an extent are examples. QUOTE']

Csaba's our manager - all managers decisions come under scrutiny. The overwhelming impression i'm getting is that because Csaba appears to have made a particular decision it's therefore right and good. He will, like all managers, make the wrong decisions sometimes. Why can't we debate this decision on it's own merits without the point that "Csaba wanted it" as being the deciding argument in it's favour?

Sorry I didn't make my point very clear. I agree with what your saying.

What I mean though is that the decisions are coming under scrutiny for the wrong reasons.

Everyone is too busy debating about Romanov when no one actually knows if he had anything to do with it.

As far as I'm concerned it has been Csaba's decision as has everything else regarding on-field matters.

We should trust Csaba with what he is saying ie all his decisions therefore scrutinise them from there. Not because it looks as if maybe Vlad could have done something or other.

I probably haven't helped my point with a couple of pishy posts. But all in all Csaba is coming out and saying Kello his decison, Banks his decision we should trust that and debate it from there.

siegementality
Banks was given a 2.5 year contract to keep him at the club after an approach by Rangers -- this contract was on a greatly increased salary and came with the added coaching responsibilities -- this was awarded by Vlad himself at a time when the pressure was on due to our distinctly average form and management changes.

We now have a new manager who does not feel that you can play and coach at the same time -- He did state that Banks was his current number one but did also indicate he was in the market for another goalkeeper -- So a decision has to be made -- does Banks stay as a goalkeeper and not number one choice or convert to coaching full time -- Banks is told that the policy is moving more to that of young players (remember comments about wanting reserves to be the bridge between 19's and first team).

He is aware that he can stay but may not even be number two goalkeeper in the near future -- he can stay as coach on his salary or he can leave if he wants to continue playing -- he will find it difficult at 36 to find a club willing to pay his current salary and to be first choice -- added to this is the fact that he has moved his family up to Edinburgh full time and does not want to uproot them.

He chooses coaching -- the only question that has to be answered is does he coach all the teams or just the youth team -- if all the teams then it could be said great faith is being placed in him -- if just the youngsters then it is clear that he is being moved aside as part of the sweeping changes at the club.

The choice yesterday was simple -- why play a player who had no future playing for the club--hence choice of Macdonald.

PS the delay in implementing this decision can be explained easily -- Csaba has only been in 5 weeks -- he cannot change everything at once and slowly is assessing those on his playing and coaching staff -- then came the point where decisions had to be made and they were quickly and depending on your point of view decisively or cruelly.

Banks is/was a good goalkeeper but not a great one -- he can be replaced -- lets just hope the new custodian matches up to the majority of his recent predecessors.

All reasonable except why did Banks continue to play in pre season games and the 1st game of the season?

Has anybody thought maybe Csaba wanted Banks only as goalkeeper but Banks was uncomfortable with that as he had already got a foot in as a coach and the only choice was for him to be full time coach

Edit - That would explain why he had so much game time pre-season

Guest JamboRobbo

I probably haven't helped my point with a couple of pishy posts.

Nothing to do with the thread, but that sentence made me laugh. I'm sure we've all felt that at times. :laugh:

siegementality
Maybe Romanov was being too soft and Csaba has informed him he ain't up to the task?

:)

Fair point cos VR has a history of being too soft! (in the head).

Dirk Diggler
Fair point cos VR has a history of being too soft! (in the head).

He gave Robbie Neilson a bumper new deal.

:eek:

Drylaw Hearts
All reasonable except why did Banks continue to play in pre season games and the 1st game of the season?

Prior to the Hull City match Csaba clearly stated he would be playing his strongest line-up.

Banks was in goal.

Banks was clearly the No.1 up until around Thursday imo.

IMO, the decision to play MacDonald at Ibrox was the first in a series of moves that will make Kello the new No.1.

siegementality
Has anybody thought maybe Csaba wanted Banks only as goalkeeper but Banks was uncomfortable with that as he had already got a foot in as a coach and the only choice was for him to be full time coach

Edit - That would explain why he had so much game time pre-season

So, Banks decides he no longer wants to play full time, coach the first team keepers and only wants to coach the youth team. H makes that decision the day before a game against Rioters, just when VR is back in the country and then decides no to even go to Ipox. PISH!

siegementality
He gave Robbie Neilson a bumper new deal.

:eek:

Only so he could move him to become the new youth team defensive coach.

Nothing to do with the thread, but that sentence made me laugh. I'm sure we've all felt that at times. :laugh:

:wink:

Just re-reading a couple of my posts I am thinking to myself: "What the hell are you (me) on about mate?"

I have got the point in my head but just don't know how to explain it. I had an argument with my Dad (he doesn't like Romanov at all) the other day about Romanov letting Csaba get on with the job and I tried to put the point across and he ended up just walking away.

I really should just got to bed.:wacko:

willie wallace

Just wondering why Kello came to Hearts a week before a huge game for Kaunas and then sits on the bench.If Banks had played you could maybe understand it but to be second choice to someone making their debut seems a bit strange.

So, Banks decides he no longer wants to play full time, coach the first team keepers and only wants to coach the youth team. H makes that decision the day before a game against Rioters, just when VR is back in the country and then decides no to even go to Ipox. PISH!

So your opinion is better than mine, get a grip mate, your desperation that there is something wrong at the club is getting a bit tedious.

I'm a realist and I know Vlad has messed up a hell of a lot over the past few years but at the same time you cannot pin everything that you do not agree with on him

I offered an alternate reason why Banks didn't play, he was offered playing or coaching, Csaba preferred to keep him playing but he chose coaching. Why is that so unrealistic based on comments from Csaba over the past few weeks about people holding dual roles. As for not going to the game yesterday, the U-19s were playing yesterday did anybody at the game see Banks there? That may be a reason why he did not go

Then again I might just be talking more PISH

Sorry I didn't make my point very clear. I agree with what your saying.

What I mean though is that the decisions are coming under scrutiny for the wrong reasons.

Everyone is too busy debating about Romanov when no one actually knows if he had anything to do with it.

As far as I'm concerned it has been Csaba's decision as has everything else regarding on-field matters.

We should trust Csaba with what he is saying ie all his decisions therefore scrutinise them from there. Not because it looks as if maybe Vlad could have done something or other.

I probably haven't helped my point with a couple of pishy posts. But all in all Csaba is coming out and saying Kello his decison' date=' Banks his decision we should trust that and debate it from there.[/quote']

That bit made me laugh as well! I see what you mean now.

siegementality
Just wondering why Kello came to Hearts a week before a huge game for Kaunas and then sits on the bench.If Banks had played you could maybe understand it but to be second choice to someone making their debut seems a bit strange.

Perhaps it was to make Banks' sudden move a little less obvious as to the real reason.

Csaba's press conference "The MacDonald let in two goals on Saturday, I want to take the MacDonald out the team to protect him, til he gets the experience. Meet our new number 1, the Kello, he has the quality, the Kello will be a suck sess"

siegementality
So your opinion is better than mine, get a grip mate, your desperation that there is something wrong at the club is getting a bit tedious.

I'm a realist and I know Vlad has messed up a hell of a lot over the past few years but at the same time you cannot pin everything that you do not agree with on him

I offered an alternate reason why Banks didn't play, he was offered playing or coaching, Csaba preferred to keep him playing but he chose coaching. Why is that so unrealistic based on comments from Csaba over the past few weeks about people holding dual roles. As for not going to the game yesterday, the U-19s were playing yesterday did anybody at the game see Banks there? That may be a reason why he did not go

Then again I might just be talking more PISH

Right, show me, as I have been asked to do, one piece of hard evidence that this was Banks choice.

He only had the two goalkeepers -- one experienced goalkeeper /coach and another young keeper who was returning to the club after a year away -- of course he started with the current number one -- nothing strange in that -- he could not change because he had no alternative other than Macdonald and he had little or no info on him -- he was also just in the club and like all new managers he takes time to look at things then make changes -- we then have another goalkeeper come in to the club and at that point it is easier to make changes -- change is then made.

I have stated on another thread that this is either a sign of authority and decisiveness or there is more than appears on the surface -- at this moment I will give the manager the benefit of the doubt but given the past history of our club people are right to question the decision.

If this change had been announced last Monday would there have been such an outcry ? -- I suspect because it was Rangers away that has had a lot to do with much of the furore surrounding that game and its timing (Vlad was here after all) -- like most things though if we had won the game there would not be nearly the same outcry or questioning of the decision.

When you are winning public gullibility is at its peak and most people will believe anything -- we as Hearts fans can remember that feeling and should look back on it with a determination to say never again.

rudi must stay
Right, show me, as I have been asked to do, one piece of hard evidence that this was Banks choice.

you give us one piece of evidence that it wasn't. You can't, he hasn't said anything

Dougie Masterton

Next time i'm in the directors box, i'll ask the question about Banks.:P:p

And you supply something that it wasn't, just because Korobochka and Vlad were involved as per the website does not mean that Banks hasn't agreed with the decision.

We have to wait and see what Banks comes out and says, if he isn't happy we're still in August so he can move if he wants

Jambof3tornado
Why have the club taken so long to replace Jim Stewart then given that there are "plenty better coaches out there"?

Maybe the club have taken so long coz the club didnt think it was a problem,in effect Shaggy/anatoly werer happy with the way it was. Enter Csaba who says **** me we havent got a goalie coach,come on Mr R,lets get this sorted out,how can I run a team with no goalie coach.

siegementality
you give us one piece of evidence that it wasn't. You can't, he hasn't said anything

That is my fecking point. All I have done is ask questions, I have offered some answers, others have offered theirs, at this moment in time no-one knows what went on, but there were questions to be asked none the less.

Just because I can't provide hard evidence that it wasn't Banks choice doesn't make someone right who can't provide any hard evidence that it was.

I don't know either way. As I said I'm playing devils advocate. On the balance of probabilty something doesn't appear right, in my opinion. In other peoples opinion everything appears fine, that's grand.

It's not a case of who is right and who is wrong. If nothing comes from this other than someone at the club sees it and this actually the staement re Banks could have been a bit better, then something has been achieved.

Drylaw Hearts

Hearts have been pretty quick to deny rumours about several subjects recently and I'm wondering if they'll do so when Barry Anderson reports on the Banks situation tomorrow ?

siegementality
Next time i'm in the directors box, i'll ask the question about Banks.:P:p

No point, you'll only tell those, and such as those;)

Jambof3tornado
Prior to the Hull City match Csaba clearly stated he would be playing his strongest line-up.

Banks was in goal.

Banks was clearly the No.1 up until around Thursday imo.

IMO, the decision to play MacDonald at Ibrox was the first in a series of moves that will make Kello the new No.1.

Absolutley spot on. Jamie Mac is no Craig Gordon and will have to bide his time as a no2 behind a more experienced keeper. If that more experienced keeper becomes a liability then Jamie will get his chance. Throwing Kello in at Ibrox would have been wrong,given the time he had to get to know even players names,therefore Jamie got the nod ahead of him.

Nucky Thompson

Stevie Banks - What's going on there? I can't believe this thread has gotten to seven pages:silly:

That is my fecking point. All I have done is ask questions, I have offered some answers, others have offered theirs, at this moment in time no-one knows what went on, but there were questions to be asked none the less.

Just because I can't provide hard evidence that it wasn't Banks choice doesn't make someone right who can't provide any hard evidence that it was.

I don't know either way. As I said I'm playing devils advocate. On the balance of probabilty something doesn't appear right, in my opinion. In other peoples opinion everything appears fine, that's grand.

It's not a case of who is right and who is wrong. If nothing comes from this other than someone at the club sees it and this actually the staement re Banks could have been a bit better, then something has been achieved.

I have nothing wrong with that, but I offered an alternate idea and becuase it didn't match your own it was 'PISH' apparently

In all honesty I think we should bin this thread because in all honesty is it getting us anywhere unless somebody 'in the know' offers something or someone bumped into his agent out last night

Jambof3tornado

It was never going to be Banks's choice. he is an employee and will do as he is told,or try to escape his contract with the club. If he starts looking for another club then we can assume that he wasnt happy,until then whats the point in fretting over this footballing decision???

siegementality
And you supply something that it wasn't, just because Korobochka and Vlad were involved as per the website does not mean that Banks hasn't agreed with the decision.

We have to wait and see what Banks comes out and says, if he isn't happy we're still in August so he can move if he wants

Kerrching!!

So I am wrong and you are right is that it.

Archived