Stevie Banks (merged threads)

siegementality

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right at the end of this interview Csaba confirms Banks will no longer play.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7566463.stm

How does he go from being Hearts number 1 goalkeeper all pre season to goalkeeper coach who won't play again in the space of a few days?

As has been said on other threads, Csaba said he wanted him to be either the goalkeeper or the coach, after discussions with Banks he is the coach.

Probably because he knows we are actively seeking a new no. 1

siegementality
As has been said on other threads, Csaba said he wanted him to be either the goalkeeper or the coach, after discussions he is the coach.

Would be resonable enough if Jamie MacDonald was number 1 and Banks was back up to him. With the arrival of Kello then it would have seemed sensible that Banks moved to the coaching role but...........Banks was Csabas number 1 choice as goalkeeper. Jamie MacDonald has what SPL experience? Kello has what SPL experience? Banks is the most experienced, and best, keeper on Hearts books at the moment. It is a strange decision in my opinion.

Hopefully it was as simple as Csaba making Banks choose between the number 1 spot and the coaching role.

No matter what happened though it was still a stupid decision to make the change yesterday.

Would be resonable enough if Jamie MacDonald was number 1 and Banks was back up to him. With the arrival of Kello then it would have seemed sensible that Banks moved to the coaching role but...........Banks was Csabas number 1 choice as goalkeeper. Jamie MacDonald has what SPL experience? Kello has what SPL experience? Banks is the most experienced, and best, keeper on Hearts books at the moment. It is a strange decision in my opinion.

Don't disagree, but Banks knew we were looking at a new GK and Csaba is on record saying he doesn't like people with their feet in two camps. Without being involved in the discussion I can only imagine that Banks was given the option of becoming coach or solely being a player in the knowledge he wasn't going to be No. 1 for much longer and Banks has said since he got the new deal in January coaching is where he sees his future so that would be the obvious choice

Hopefully it was as simple as Csaba making Banks choose between the number 1 spot and the coaching role.

No matter what happened though it was still a stupid decision to make the change yesterday.

I think Banks knew he wasn't going to be No 1 for much longer

MacDonald Jardine

Has Csaba not always said he wanted a new goalkeeper and that Banks should be concentrating on coaching?

Maybe we are giving Csaba too much latitude but personally I'd like to believe that he knows what he is doing :toasting:

He had written off yesterdays match several days ago and maybe thought that now was as good a time as any to fling Jamie in ?

Mind you, why not last week then ?...........or you might ask why at all if he's immediately going to be No2 to the boy Kello.

siegementality

I can't think of many clubs where the current number 1 keeper would become goalkeeping coach and immediately stop playing. Most players look to play for as long as they can.

This may be controversial but i'd rather go with Jamie Mac than keep Banks.

As has already been said a million times on here, Banks is a great guy who has never let us down.

He's just not that good a goalkeeper.

His track record before he came to us would support that.

If Csaba thinks Jamie has the potential to be better than Banks then **** it, get him in the team. We are a work in progress as a team, as a club so we may as well be a work in progress in goals as well.

Good luck Jamie.

siegementality
This was covered in LAST Sunday's (10th Aug) Sunday Mail

You can't have two Bank jobs

It's amazing that Csaba has come to exactly the same conclusion that the "management team" of last year came to, and in only five weeks.

Csaba himself in that article says Banks was steady at number 1 with MacDonald behind him, an admission that Banks is the better keeper. Why then play MacDonald yesterday of all days?

Hearts Heritage
I can't think of many clubs where the current number 1 keeper would become goalkeeping coach and immediately stop playing. Most players look to play for as long as they can.

He didn't.

HEARTS boss Csaba Laszlo has told Steve Banks he can't combine playing with coaching.

The 36-year-old Englishman is battling with Jamie MacDonald for the No.1 jersey but Laszlo isn't happy with his position as goalkeeping coach.

Banks took the job when Jim Stewart left for Rangers last season but now has to choose his role at Tynecastle.

Laszlo said: "I am not happy Steve is goalkeeping coach and goalkeeper and this is what I would like to change quickly.

"I'd like to have a goalkeeper or a goalkeeping coach and he must decide.

"Steve is the No.1 and is steady in that position and Jamie is a bit behind as No.2."

Laszlo hasn't ruled out bringing in another shot stopper with Frenchman Anthony Basso set to leave.

siegementality
This may be controversial but i'd rather go with Jamie Mac than keep Banks.

As has already been said a million times on here, Banks is a great guy who has never let us down.

He's just not that good a goalkeeper.

His track record before he came to us would support that.

If Csaba thinks Jamie has the potential to be better than Banks then **** it, get him in the team. We are a work in progress as a team, as a club so we may as well be a work in progress in goals as well.

Good luck Jamie.

Csaba said last week

"Steve is the No.1 and is steady in that position and Jamie is a bit behind as No.2."

Yup. But as far as I can see Csaba doesn't seem to be a fan of the joint roles. Perhaps he told Banks if he doesnt concentrate on his coaching duties he will be forced to bring in a new coach which would then mean Banks wasn't guaranteed a role on the coaching staff after this season by which time his playing career may be over.

Obviously you have to treat any decision at Hearts with apprehension but that is what i'm hoping for.

Banks may have made a short term sacrifice for long term gain.

Csaba said last week

He sees them in training every day, maybe he changed his mind.

Managers do that I believe.

Commander Harris
Has Csaba not always said he wanted a new goalkeeper and that Banks should be concentrating on coaching?

yes.

siegementality
He didn't.

HEARTS boss Csaba Laszlo has told Steve Banks he can't combine playing with coaching.

The 36-year-old Englishman is battling with Jamie MacDonald for the No.1 jersey but Laszlo isn't happy with his position as goalkeeping coach.

Banks took the job when Jim Stewart left for Rangers last season but now has to choose his role at Tynecastle.

Laszlo said: "I am not happy Steve is goalkeeping coach and goalkeeper and this is what I would like to change quickly.

"I'd like to have a goalkeeper or a goalkeeping coach and he must decide.

Laszlo hasn't ruled out bringing in another shot stopper with Frenchman Anthony Basso set to leave.

So not only is he no longer playing but he has been demoted to goalkeeping coach to the youth team

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1367844,00.html

siegementality
He sees them in training every day, maybe he changed his mind.

Managers do that I believe.

So he changed his mind in a week and Banks is now the youth team goalkeeping coach. FFS Banks must have been really sheite that week in training, unlucky Stevie.

I'd feel better about this situation if an interview or some direct quotes attributed to Banks saying he's happy with the arrangement appeared on the official site.

He always comes across as a decent bloke and I hope he's not been treated in a shabby manner by the club.

In saying that, I'm more than happy for Jamie Mac to be given a chance to prove himself.

How much SPL experience did Banks have before he came to Hearts?

How much experience did Gordon have before Levein gave him a break?

I'm more than happy for Jamie Mac to be given his chance.

JamboRossi79

How are they supossed to get SPL experience if they don't play in the SPL.

Csaba has already said in various interviews that Banks could not be goalkeeper and goalkeeper coach, he has made that quite clear. Why are you trying to makes something out of nothing :slither:

So he changed his mind in a week and Banks is now the youth team goalkeeping coach. FFS Banks must have been really sheite that week in training, unlucky Stevie.

Do you have any evidence to suggest mistreatment of Banks or are you merely looking at things from a negative persepctive?

siegementality
How much SPL experience did Banks have before he came to Hearts?

How much experience did Gordon have before Levein gave him a break?

I'm more than happy for Jamie Mac to be given his chance.

The point is Csaba only last week admitted Banks was number 1 keeper. Banks got his chance when Gordon developed Vlad Flu at Tannadice (could be wrong) and Gordon got his chance because he was the best keeper at the club despite being young. MacDonald appears to be getting his chance because Banks was doing two roles and not beacuse J Mac is the better keeper.

I'm delighted for all those people who want to see J Mac be given his chance although something tells me Kello will be between the sticks shortly. Given that Csaba said Kello had the ability to "grow into the team" it will be interesting to see how quickly he grows.

I listened to the interview, it doesn't give me any cause for concern. When asked if Banks was finished as a player Csaba sounded to me like someone who had considered the option of Banks having two positions and he Csaba was happy with the move. If Stewart was the first team coach, and has left, and if as being said here Banks has been demoted who is now the first team goalie coach. WAS Banks if he had two positions on the Club not doing goalie coach part time, and does it not seem possible he is now doing it full time

Csaba also comments on the interview that he now has two young goalies, he seems to feel this will open up competition for the starting role. This is a good problem to have especially if each is good. Nothing spurs effort like competiton.

siegementality
Do you have any evidence to suggest mistreatment of Banks or are you merely looking at things from a negative persepctive?

I'm playing devils advocate. The situatuon seems strange to me. Last week Csaba admits Banks is steady at number 1, this week he is no longer playing and is youth team goalkeeping coach. So who will be coaching the first team keepers? Does that situation not seem strange to you?

siegementality
I listened to the interview, it doesn't give me any cause for concern. When asked if Banks was finished as a player Csaba sounded to me like someone who had considered the option of Banks having two positions and he Csaba was happy with the move. If Stewart was the first team coach, and has left, and if as being said here Banks has been demoted who is now the first team goalie coach. WAS Banks if he had two positions on the Club not doing goalie coach part time, and does it not seem possible he is now doing it full time

Csaba also comments on the interview that he now has two young goalies, he seems to feel this will open up competition for the starting role. This is a good problem to have especially if each is good. Nothing spurs effort like competiton.

Good question.

So MacDonald wasn't spurred on by the competition of trying to gain the number 1 jersey in front of Banks?.

I'm playing devils advocate. The situatuon seems strange to me. Last week Csaba admits Banks is steady at number 1, this week he is no longer playing and is youth team goalkeeping coach. So who will be coaching the first team keepers? Does that situation not seem strange to you?

Is it not more likely that he just did not rate Banks? He's been talking about getting anew goalie and Banks being a coach since day 1. Banks can now focus on a new career and Csaba has a goalie that he rates.

I'm no expert on football club training set-ups, but would goalkeeping coaches not be required to spend more time with youngsters any way?

I've not rated Banks for a while now and i'm delighted that Jamie has his chance.

siegementality
How are they supossed to get SPL experience if they don't play in the SPL.

Csaba has already said in various interviews that Banks could not be goalkeeper and goalkeeper coach, he has made that quite clear. Why are you trying to makes something out of nothing :slither:

I am asking a question rather than just accepting everything that happens just cos Csaba says. He stated that Banks was the number 1 keeper, Banks is then made yooth team goalkeeping coach. Was the need to have a youth team goalkeeping coach greater than the need to have a steady number 1 given the Csaba said MacDonald was a bit behind Banks?

Please don't answer with, well Csaba thinks so, I'm asking you what you think.

The thing I don't get is that if Banks is going to be the youth goalie coach, then who the hell is going to be the first team 'keeper coach?

Ryan Gosling

Csaba's been on the lookout for goalies since he arrived.

He tried to sign a Ugandan goalie but couldn't get a WP, we had a Serbian on trial, we have Kello as back up and he's offered the Hungarian a deal.

siegementality
Is it not more likely that he just did not rate Banks? He's been talking about getting anew goalie and Banks being a coach since day 1. Banks can now focus on a new career and Csaba has a goalie that he rates.

I'm no expert on football club training set-ups, but would goalkeeping coaches not be required to spend more time with youngsters any way?

I've not rated Banks for a while now and i'm delighted that Jamie has his chance.

Please listen. Last week Csaba stated that Banks was steady at number 1 with Jamie Mac a bit behind. If that was the case and he doesn't rate Banks, what does that say about MacDonald given he thought Banks was the better of the two?

I can't understand why people are getting in a lather about Banks. He's average and isn't one for the medium/long term from a playing perspective. He's been dropped. Big deal. That's football.

The point is Csaba only last week admitted Banks was number 1 keeper. Banks got his chance when Gordon developed Vlad Flu at Tannadice (could be wrong) and Gordon got his chance because he was the best keeper at the club despite being young. MacDonald appears to be getting his chance because Banks was doing two roles and not beacuse J Mac is the better keeper.

I'm delighted for all those people who want to see J Mac be given his chance although something tells me Kello will be between the sticks shortly. Given that Csaba said Kello had the ability to "grow into the team" it will be interesting to see how quickly he grows.

There is every chance that you will be proved correct regarding Kello. Time will tell.

I'm guessing you were unhappy when Banks replaced Gordon? Now you are unhappy that Banks is being replaced.

Change is nothing to be afraid of.:)

Banks has been a good servant to the club and has never let us down but if we're going to be brutally honest he's never going to be truely top drawer.

Ryan Gosling
I can't understand why people are getting in a lather about Banks. He's average and isn't one for the medium/long term from a playing perspective. He's been dropped. Big deal. That's football.

MacDonald deserves a chance I'm sure you agree?

The thing I don't get is that if Banks is going to be the youth goalie coach, then who the hell is going to be the first team 'keeper coach?[/QUOTE]

Stop being so sensible.

Please listen. Last week Csaba stated that Banks was steady at number 1 with Jamie Mac a bit behind. If that was the case and he doesn't rate Banks, what does that say about MacDonald given he thought Banks was the better of the two?

Please read before posting.

As i've already said, managers change their minds on their preferred options frequently. Players start one week, players get dropped the next. Why must there be anything more complicated than that?

He obviously thinks playing a young goalie with potential to be great, is better than playing a journeyman, at the end of his career who already had one foot out the door in another job.

siegementality
Csaba's been on the lookout for goalies since he arrived.

He tried to sign a Ugandan goalie but couldn't get a WP, we had a Serbian on trial, we have Kello as back up and he's offered the Hungarian a deal.

My point still stands

Csaba said Banks was better than MacDonald.

You think Kello is back up, that'll be back up to MacDonald now who was not as good as Banks.

The Hungarian, well did you not post footage of his howler on his Hungarian debut in an attempt to justify the signing of Kello? I can easily find the thread as I'm sure you implied the Hungarian was not good enough. Seems Csaba didn't agree with you as he offered him a deal. As I said to you before, opinions eh.

Please read before posting.

As i've already said, managers change their minds on their preferred options frequently. Players start one week, players get dropped the next. Why must there be anything more complicated than that?

He obviously thinks playing a young goalie with potential to be great, is better than playing a journeyman, at the end of his career who already had one foot out the door in another job.

It was Vlads call.

MacDonald deserves a chance I'm sure you agree?

There's no such thing as "deserves" a chance. The management and coaches work with players every day in training. They will undoubtedly see things that we don't. A player will get a game if he's better than the other options for that position. "Deserving a chance" doesn't come into it, and neither should it.

Good question.

So MacDonald wasn't spurred on by the competition of trying to gain the number 1 jersey in front of Banks?.

Its quite possible he infact was, hence he played yesterday. In this case one of my considerations was that Macdonald probably did not have the same challenge or competition from a 36 year old, slightly above average goalkeeper, whom the manager has already suggested should make up his mind whether he wants to play or wants to coach. I admit most freely I have no contacts or knowledge what is happening at Tynecastle, but would consider that it was fairly well known to the players what the outc ome was likely to be, therefore under the circumstances until Kello signed, Jamie just had to sit and wait, no real challenge or competition there.

Rudolf's Mate

Maybe because Banks is a very good keeper and in my opinion thought he may have saved their first goal! I felt Jamie was slow to dive. Agreed he may have been hampered by site however a keeper relys heavily on instinct and I felt he hesitated before diving.

Oh well that's good to know.

Case closed.

Thanks for letting us all know.

I'm very surprised at someone as knowledgeable as your self about all that is Hearts didn't care to read the Hearts web site,therein lies the answer.

Maybe because Banks is a very good keeper and in my opinion thought he may have saved their first goal! I felt Jamie was slow to dive. Agreed he may have been hampered by site however a keeper relys heavily on instinct and I felt he hesitated before diving.

Disagree mate.

I doubt Banks would have gotten that either.

Archived