*** Official Heart of Midlothian v Hibernian Match day thread ( PPV available )***

Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Would really like Tait to start this one. I wanted him to start at Ibrox, purely on the basis out of all our midfield players he retains the ball better than anyone. He just keeps it simple, passes it, moves into space and takes it back. Its priceless in games where you don't get a lot of the ball. I'm not sure he will put him in, however if the Liverpool game on Sunday is anything to go by and giving youngsters an opportunity in a big game, then Naismith could do worse than play him. He's played Denholm from the start in a derby and I think Tait is a level above him. I wouldn't be against Devlin playing either if he is fit enough to start. Remember he has had 3 months out or so and only had 2 sub appearances, so not sure if his levels will allow a start. 

Agree, would be more than happy to see Tait start. Genuinely don't think such a big game would faze him at all. Him and Beni in the middle would be a great pairing IMO, good luck getting the ball off those pair.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

PapaShango
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Agree, would be more than happy to see Tait start. Genuinely don't think such a big game would faze him at all. Him and Beni in the middle would be a great pairing IMO, good luck getting the ball off those pair.

From what I've seen from him your right, don't think he would be fazed in the slightest. As well as being good on the ball, he's also very good out of possession and not afraid to put a foot in. We didn't get close to Rangers at all on Saturday, he done within 2 minutes what we should have done at the start of the game and put one of them up in the air. 

pettigrewsstylist
21 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

If Naismith has learned anything about who rises in a derby he’d get Devlin back in.  Esp off the back of a heavy defeat. 

We need a couple of players in there who are fearless and do the hard running.  Players who their team mates will see are ready to lead by example and blow away any fears of cageyness after Saturday.  

It takes a mix of course but I think there isn’t a better time to reintroduce Devlin.

I’d also be looking at Tait or Fraser along with Nieuwenhoff. 

Hard to disgree with any of that tbh. Guess it depends if he is showing up to speed in trg.

Just now, PapaShango said:

From what I've seen from him your right, don't think he would be fazed in the slightest. As well as being good on the ball, he's also very good out of possession and not afraid to put a foot in. We didn't get close to Rangers at all on Saturday, he done within 2 minutes what we should have done at the start of the game and put one of them up in the air. 

Yep he has the perfect mix of everything you need in a central midfielder. Obviously lacking in a little bit of height but it's not a necessity when you have the rest of the tools for the job. Some youngsters need carefully drip fed into the side as not to put too much pressure on them but in Tait's case the more minutes the better. With Denholm I've not seen anything so far which stands out although he may go on to be a really good player but with Tait it was instant - you can just see the boy has it.

PapaShango
22 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yep he has the perfect mix of everything you need in a central midfielder. Obviously lacking in a little bit of height but it's not a necessity when you have the rest of the tools for the job. Some youngsters need carefully drip fed into the side as not to put too much pressure on them but in Tait's case the more minutes the better. With Denholm I've not seen anything so far which stands out although he may go on to be a really good player but with Tait it was instant - you can just see the boy has it.

Yeah agree entirely. The boy has the potential to be a top player from what I have seen. 

Totally agree on all the Tait chat, what I like about him is he's always wanting the ball, gets it, plays a pass and immediately wants it back, very confident youngster.

If your good enough, your old enough.

Hope he starts.

55 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Agree regarding Deholm. 

Decent enough player who will have a career in the game, just not sure it'll be with us.

Tait is on a different level, or at least he will be.

Opinionated Jambo

Going to go for a 2-1 Hearts win, Shankland goal at anytime. I think this is a great test to see where we are as a squad now. We have had a fantastic run of games up until the game vs Rangers at the weekend just gone, so I think this will see how well we can bounce back from a setback and lets be honest there is no other better game than to do that in - against Hibs.

In recent times we have always been superior in derbies gone by. Hibs have one or two players doing quite well for them at the moment, notably Maolida. I think if we can keep him quiet then Hibs could be quiet static going forward. It's a derby at the end of the day so I suppose form goes out the window as such, but we are the home team I can only expect Tynecastle to be bouncing come tomorrow night!

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Would really like Tait to start this one. I wanted him to start at Ibrox, purely on the basis out of all our midfield players he retains the ball better than anyone. He just keeps it simple, passes it, moves into space and takes it back. Its priceless in games where you don't get a lot of the ball. I'm not sure he will put him in, however if the Liverpool game on Sunday is anything to go by and giving youngsters an opportunity in a big game, then Naismith could do worse than play him. He's played Denholm from the start in a derby and I think Tait is a level above him. I wouldn't be against Devlin playing either if he is fit enough to start. Remember he has had 3 months out or so and only had 2 sub appearances, so not sure if his levels will allow a start. 

I agree. The lad has been around the first team for a while now and shown great maturity when he’s came on.  I’d say he’s entitled to a start.  

I agree. The lad has been around the first team for a while now and shown great maturity when he’s came on.  I’d say he’s entitled to a start.  

We need players out there who are going to give 100% committment.

For that reason players like Grant and Fraser should be nowhere near the starting lineup.

Folk saying Beni should be dropped but look how he played in the last Derby.

Pollock was apparently outstanding for the B Team in their last game when they beat top of the league team East Kilbride 4 - 2.

He is 100% a grafter and quick. He has been in the first team squad of late but never featured. Maybe tomorrow would be a good time to give him a run.

Our left side of defence is a concern with Cochrane and Rowles up against the Aussie diving team. If Atkinson plays we also have a problem.

Having said that not sure if our options are much better.

PapaShango
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

For that reason players like Grant and Fraser should be nowhere near the starting lineup.

Pollock was apparently outstanding for the B Team in their last game when they beat top of the league team East Kilbride 4 - 2.

He is 100% a grafter and quick. He has been in the first team squad of late but never featured. Maybe tomorrow would be a good time to give him a run.

Our left side of defence is a concern with Cochrane and Rowles up against the Aussie diving team. If Atkinson plays we also have a problem.

I really like what I've seen from Pollock but not sure his first appearance in the first team since we played away in Turkey is going to come in a crunch derby game. I think blooding him in like we have done with Tait is the way forward for him. He's had plenty injury problems, so maybe the idea is to get him to peak fitness with the B team before he gets back in with the first team squad. Perhaps he's been ear marked for next season or some league games at the end of this one if we can wrap up 3rd early enough. 

PapaShango
10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Hibs will cause us problems with pace, there's no doubt about that, but we have coped with it pretty well the last few seasons so no need to be completely panicking about it. They are absolute dung defensively and we will get chances with whatever centre half combination they play. Fish and Rocky are both capable of making mistakes and not sure they have anything in the full back positions either. Let them worry about our fire power instead of us worrying what they have. If we snuff them out in midfield and force them into mistakes we will run over the top of them. I have a feeling we will be bursting to get out there after Saturday and put them in their place. 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

15 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

This is a big game in more ways than one for Steven Naismith.  The last three months have been spectacularly successful, but to hit the buffers like we did against Rangers will be a test for him. If he can get us back on the bike then we'll be able to put last Saturday behind us. As I see it the problems on Saturday started in the midfield which wasn't able to stop Sevco from building waves of attacks.

Naismith has difficult decisions to make and I'm not envious, three starters from eight midfielders is a difficult choice, but Beni and Hof must start. For me that leaves a choice between the creativity of Tait or the attitude of Devlin, and as it will be a battle I would go with Devlin, with Tait coming on later. I agree about Fraser and Grant who are not game changers but who can supply experience if we need to see the game out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Denholm involved either, he's got a great engine and works really hard.

Edited by upgotheheads

3 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

This is a big game in more ways than one for Steven Naismith.  The last three months have been spectacularly successful, but to hit the buffers like we did against Rangers will be a test for him. If he can get us back on the bike then we'll be able to put last Saturday behind us. As I see it the problems on Saturday started in the midfield which wasn't able to stop Sevco from building waves of attacks.

Naismith has difficult decisions to make and I'm not envious, three starters from eight midfielders is a difficult choice, but Beni and Hof must start. For me that leaves a choice between the creativity of Tait or the attitude of Devlin, and as it will be a battle I would go with Devlin, with Tait coming on later. I agree about Fraser and Grant who are not game changers but who can supply experience if we need to see the game out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Denholm involved either, he's got a great engine and works really hard.

Agree.

Gordon

Sibbick

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Devlin

Tait

Nuewenhoff

Vargas

Shankland

Forrest

Is what I would start with.

Like it or not, Sibbick is the only defender capable of playing rb in a 4. Harsh on Cochrane, but Kingsley helps solidify the defence.

I’d play 3 centre mids and Beni would drop to the bench.

The front 3 speaks for itself.

2 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Gordon

Sibbick

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Devlin

Tait

Nuewenhoff

Vargas

Shankland

Forrest

Is what I would start with.

Like it or not, Sibbick is the only defender capable of playing rb in a 4. Harsh on Cochrane, but Kingsley helps solidify the defence.

I’d play 3 centre mids and Beni would drop to the bench.

The front 3 speaks for itself.

At first when I saw Sibbick in someone elses line up (further back in the thread) I wasn't sure but the more I think about it the more I think he'd be a good option at RB. He coped really well before the defensive shuffle in the last derby and has the pace. 

Famous 1874

Cliche but an early goal will be huge in this.

If we get it, they’ll fold and we’ll hammer them. If they get it, then it’s going to be a slog with all their usual timewasting and diving crap. 

The table doesn’t lie but they do have some alright players in attacking areas. Boyle, Youan, Maolida are all useful. That Marcondes is apparently alright and the new lad who plays in midfield from Bournemouth is apparently combative.

Defensively they are terrible. We should have a field day with Shankland, Forrest and Vargas. 

I also agree with posters that I’d be looking to start young Tait next to Beni, and have Nieuwenhof slightly further up. Grant and Fraser aren’t good enough. 

A hard fought 2-0 win for Hearts. Won't be as easy as some are predicting. As many have said, an early goal could be vital.

GorgieFifeLife

Gordon

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Lembikisa

Beni

Tait

Hoff

Forrest

Shankland

Vargas

Looking forward to it. The last tynie derby was a really thrilling performance until we collapsed, and even then we had plenty of chances to score a third. Not sure if it is right occasion to give Tait his first start, or bring back Devlin, but handy to have both on the bench. I'd start Hof, Beni, Grant in the middle. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Chimp said:

The manager has told him that due to his size he needs to get the ball and move it quickly so he doesn’t lose it, these kinds of tips are fantastic for youngsters and shows his experience at the top level and how good he is with improving players of all ages. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

I wouldn't be throwing Devlin in here when he is still getting up to speed. 

Wouldn’t last the whole game, you then bring Tait on for the last part. 

Weebroon98

remaining tickets on sale  from 3 pm today, roseburn ST have until then to secure there seat.

from the hearts twitter/X

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

At first when I saw Sibbick in someone elses line up (further back in the thread) I wasn't sure but the more I think about it the more I think he'd be a good option at RB. He coped really well before the defensive shuffle in the last derby and has the pace. 

Definitely, but having watched their highlights from Saturday the guy on the left is right footed and seems to cut in so speed might not be required as much.

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely, but having watched their highlights from Saturday the guy on the left is right footed and seems to cut in so speed might not be required as much.

Not seen him yet so fair enough. Does he look any good?

Walter Bishop
17 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I see every game. Shankland needs a quick partner beside him. We play far better when Vargas is beside him, we barely score otherwise. 

The last time we started with Vargas and Shankland as a two was at home to Dundee. Changing to a back 4 and going to 3 behind Shankland changed the game. Vargas wide performs far better wide than through the middle. 

feedthefox
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

I wouldn't be throwing Devlin in here when he is still getting up to speed. 

Exactly, would be crazy to change things on the back of one poor performance in nearly 3 months. If we need to tighten up later on then yes possibly.

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Chimp said:

With Beni going, if he can get the offer, then we need to know if Tait can fill those shoes next season. Fine line about over exposure but hope he get enough minutes this season to achieve an answer.

pettigrewsstylist
10 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Is this our first game against any team from Bournemouth?

Hopefully in angst and turmoil after their AGM today.

I'm really looking forward to this. Hubz will be on it straight from ko. However they really are not that good. All we need to do is withstand any early pressure then after we score the first goal they will collapse. It won't be a walk in the park tomorrow but once the derby nerves have settled they will get another Jambo spanking. 

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

The last time we started with Vargas and Shankland as a two was at home to Dundee. Changing to a back 4 and going to 3 behind Shankland changed the game. Vargas wide performs far better wide than through the middle. 

Absolute nonsense, they started up front together against Rangers. 
The problem is starting with the wrong formation, Shankland needs a quick guy ahead of him and at least one winger beside to create the space where he can perform. We constantly start with a back 5 and change it to a 4, we then play far better and create chances with more attackers on the pitch. The evidence is there to be seen, maybe you cant see that or don’t attend matches. 
When we play with Oda and Forrest flanking Shankland and Vargas we create far more than any other formation we use. 

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not seen him yet so fair enough. Does he look any good?

Scored a decent goal on Saturday but he isolated on Joel Shaughnessy so It’s hard to say really. 

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

Looking forward to it. The last tynie derby was a really thrilling performance until we collapsed, and even then we had plenty of chances to score a third. Not sure if it is right occasion to give Tait his first start, or bring back Devlin, but handy to have both on the bench. I'd start Hof, Beni, Grant in the middle. 

Not Grant.  A luxury we can't afford defensively because he is a passenger defensively.

gordiegords
1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Gordon

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Lembikisa

Beni

Tait

Hoff

Forrest

Shankland

Vargas

This for me as well, or devlin for tait.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Hibs will cause us problems with pace, there's no doubt about that, but we have coped with it pretty well the last few seasons so no need to be completely panicking about it. They are absolute dung defensively and we will get chances with whatever centre half combination they play. Fish and Rocky are both capable of making mistakes and not sure they have anything in the full back positions either. Let them worry about our fire power instead of us worrying what they have. If we snuff them out in midfield and force them into mistakes we will run over the top of them. I have a feeling we will be bursting to get out there after Saturday and put them in their place. 

Down the wings.  As a matter of interest, has anyone ever seen Cochrane, squared up to the guy about to cross the ball, stop him crossing it?

17 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

With Beni going, if he can get the offer, then we need to know if Tait can fill those shoes next season. Fine line about over exposure but hope he get enough minutes this season to achieve an answer.

Definitely. He certainly doesn't need to go out on loan anywhere. He's proven already he can hold his own and perform at this level. Just need to make sure we develop him properly.

Walter Kidd

Forrest should be 2nd name on teamsheet after Shankland.

4 2 3 1 for me

Clark

Kingsley Rowles Kent Atkinson

Devlin Baningime

Cochrane Nieuwenhof Forrest

Shanks

Happy Days with that team.

pettigrewsstylist

My crystal ball is suggesting BIG performances from Cochrane, Kent and Forrest.

Captain fantastic will do what he does.

Gordon

Atkinson    Kent   Kingsley  Cochrane

Tait        Beni

Oda    Shankland    Forrest

Vargas

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Gordon

Tait        Beni

Vargas

No Newy? Wild!

Go for it 1308
3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Gordon

Tait        Beni

Vargas

Hoff?

Edited by Go for it 1308

Just now, TheBigO said:

No Newy? Wild!

I'll be honest mate it's a very close call between the two! I really like Hof but just think Tait will stroll the game and keep things ticking over in the middle. Realistically Hof is going to be on from the beginning but I think Tait deserves his first start soon and no better time than against that lot 👌

6 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Hoff?

See my post above. I like Hof and I'm confident he'll start. Just have a feeling Tait would thrive in a game like this that's all.