*** Official Heart of Midlothian v Hibernian Match day thread ( PPV available )***

Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

Looking forward to it. The last tynie derby was a really thrilling performance until we collapsed, and even then we had plenty of chances to score a third. Not sure if it is right occasion to give Tait his first start, or bring back Devlin, but handy to have both on the bench. I'd start Hof, Beni, Grant in the middle. 

I just dont think they 3 have played well together.    For me hof and beni start.    Then a question who is with them.  If fit devlin, if not i would start tait.    Fraser could be an option, i thought he done okay first couple away games but was poor in his home debut.     No hope i would start the same 3 that were at ibrox

4 at back dexter rb, cochrane lb kingsley kent in middle.

Vargas forrst shanks top end.  Oda on 2nd half if fit. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

39 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Not Grant.  A luxury we can't afford defensively because he is a passenger defensively.

He has been part of some good defences performances. I’d prefer Grant, but it is close. Hoff and Beni will do the defensive stuff and Grant will press high up the pitch.

I suspect Naismith will go for Fraser who, for me, hasn’t earned it.

1 minute ago, Walter Kidd said:

What has Clark done to be dropped?

he’s not Craig Gordon. Losing a game gives us an excuse to get the big man back in

4 minutes ago, Lego said:

I just dont think they 3 have played well together.    For me hof and beni start.    Then a question who is with them.  If fit devlin, if not i would start tait.    Fraser could be an option, i thought he done okay first couple away games but was poor in his home debut.     No hope i would start the same 3 that were at ibrox

4 at back dexter rb, cochrane lb kingsley kent in middle.

Vargas forrst shanks top end.  Oda on 2nd half if fit. 

👍 fair does. I think Grant is the least risky, and means we can change things if need be. 

I really like Tait but am pleased the squad is good enough that we don’t need to give young players their first start in a derby. It would be exciting if he did start, mind you.

Walter Kidd
3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

he’s not Craig Gordon. Losing a game gives us an excuse to get the big man back in

Utter nonsense.  In that case we drop Shankland and all the others who weren't at it on Saturday?

Just now, Walter Kidd said:

Utter nonsense.  In that case we drop Shankland and all the others who weren't at it on Saturday?

Shankland is our best striker so that would be silly. I would have Gordon playing whenever he’s fit that doesn’t mean Clark is doing anything wrong

4 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

👍 fair does. I think Grant is the least risky, and means we can change things if need be. 

I really like Tait but am pleased the squad is good enough that we don’t need to give young players their first start in a derby. It would be exciting if he did start, mind you.

Am I the only only one who feels that Beni is not yet ready for these high intensity games.  He is still too slow in both mind and body and will cost us.

JimmyCant
7 minutes ago, Walter Kidd said:

What has Clark done to be dropped?

Lost 5 at Ibrox. 2 of which we’ll be kind about and say ‘could’ve done better’  Not  great for confidence. He’s an average keeper. We’ve got a borderline world class one sitting on the bench

18 minutes ago, Chimp said:

See my post above. I like Hof and I'm confident he'll start. Just have a feeling Tait would thrive in a game like this that's all.

I looked at the most recent post on the thread. And I refuse to look back any further.  Deal with it!!!!

Walter Kidd
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Lost 5 at Ibrox. 2 of which we’ll be kind about and say ‘could’ve done better’  Not  great for confidence. He’s an average keeper. We’ve got a borderline world class one sitting on the bench

Saved another 5 which would have made it 10.

TexasAndy
6 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Am I the only only one who feels that Beni is not yet ready for these high intensity games.  He is still too slow in both mind and body and will cost us.

Kinda agree but he did run the midfield at Easter Road last time out.

JimmyCant
15 minutes ago, Walter Kidd said:

By all means drop Shankland. This assumes we have a 50 cap international goal machine waiting to replace him of course

StirlingJambo
10 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Agree with you. Looks like he’s towing a caravan at times just now. Was Atkinson's fault for giving ball away for first goal on Saturday but Beni made it just as easy for him at the edge of the box. Was schoolboy defending.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

By all means drop Shankland. This assumes we have a 50 cap international goal machine waiting to replace him of course

One that's 40? 😄

10 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

I think he is central to the way we play. Not disagreeing with your point, but we know exactly what we’re getting with Beni. He is virtually always in a defensive position, and often wins the ball back in tricky situations.

If Hibs want to sit in, he could be very important in adding protection. Swapping him risks upsetting what had been a good tactical approach for us over the past few months.

15 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hopefully,  but he'll need ti improve. 

More than he, needs to improve. On current form he is way ahead of Rowles,

47 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

It was an issue before throwing kids into big games and then not seeing them against the weaker/smaller sides.

4 at back and beni works best.  If we play a 5, i feel we end up too defensive with him sitting infront of a back 3.  Plus i feel dexter looks much better in a back 4 and running from deep.

Ron Burgundy

I really don't care what formation or personnel we use. Just win the bloody game and if it could be done at a canter with a few early goals to ease my nerves then all the better.

PapaShango
37 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I really don't care what formation or personnel we use. Just win the bloody game and if it could be done at a canter with a few early goals to ease my nerves then all the better.

I was thinking about this last night, can't remember the last time I could properly relax watching a game! Would be good tomorrow if we could have it done and dusted by half time so I could enjoy it for once! 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, H2 said:

More than he, needs to improve. On current form he is way ahead of Rowles,

:rofl:

12 minutes ago, Disser Pointon said:

Oda confirmed as defo out.

When did he get injured?

Gorgierools
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

When did he get injured?

Naisy said he took a knock  in training before the Rangers game 

Edited by Gorgierools

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

He has been part of some good defences performances. I’d prefer Grant, but it is close. Hoff and Beni will do the defensive stuff and Grant will press high up the pitch.

I suspect Naismith will go for Fraser who, for me, hasn’t earned it.

Part of good defensive performances?  Covers the ground, few presses but never makes contact.  Very, very few tackles, I remember one in last number of games, and some of his passing (his strength) and shooting well off.

5 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Cliche but an early goal will be huge in this.

If we get it, they’ll fold and we’ll hammer them. If they get it, then it’s going to be a slog with all their usual timewasting and diving crap. 

The table doesn’t lie but they do have some alright players in attacking areas. Boyle, Youan, Maolida are all useful. That Marcondes is apparently alright and the new lad who plays in midfield from Bournemouth is apparently combative.

Defensively they are terrible. We should have a field day with Shankland, Forrest and Vargas. 

I also agree with posters that I’d be looking to start young Tait next to Beni, and have Nieuwenhof slightly further up. Grant and Fraser aren’t good enough. 

Yes, like they did the last time we were 2-0 up.

19 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Part of good defensive performances?  Covers the ground, few presses but never makes contact.  Very, very few tackles, I remember one in last number of games, and some of his passing (his strength) and shooting well off.

Yes, I thought away at celtic and home to Aberdeen were good defensive performances, lots of hard work against teams with good attacking players. Grant was really good in both games. I agree that he hasn't set the heather on fire as a creative, attacking player, but he has contributed a few important moments.

I would include him as he is the most reliable option. Fraser hasn't earned it based on what I've seen so far. Tait hasn't started a game yet and I wouldn't risk doing it here. Devlin is coming back from injury. Except when he was injured in December, Grant has featured in 23 of 28 games this season, so must be trusted.

Who would you play? 

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, Lego said:

It was an issue before throwing kids into big games and then not seeing them against the weaker/smaller sides.

4 at back and beni works best.  If we play a 5, i feel we end up too defensive with him sitting infront of a back 3.  Plus i feel dexter looks much better in a back 4 and running from deep.

Dexter has to start for me, no matter if it’s a 4 or a 5. Atkinson had an unmitigated nightmare at Ibrox. According to HS stats he lost the ball in dangerous positions 6 times in the first half

Go for it 1308
3 hours ago, Chimp said:

See my post above. I like Hof and I'm confident he'll start. Just have a feeling Tait would thrive in a game like this that's all.

Yep, I know what you mean.  I think the same 

24 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Dexter has to start for me, no matter if it’s a 4 or a 5. Atkinson had an unmitigated nightmare at Ibrox. According to HS stats he lost the ball in dangerous positions 6 times in the first half

Dexter is the lesser of two evils for me. 

Both aren’t great defensively (which we were warned about Dex prior to joining) but Dexter seems more clever on the ball and better.   He knows when to just play a simple pass and not run down dead ends for the sake of it, and equally he knows when he can use that burst of pace to take his man on.  

Edited by Debut 4

Walter Kidd
28 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Dexter had an absolute shocker versus Motherwell.

2 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

shanks megging Denolm 🤣😂

Blue bibs had a shocker based on the highlights :lol:

Diadora Van Basten

Gordon

Dexter Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Niewinhof Beni

Vargas Grant Forrest

Shankland 

48 minutes ago, Walter Kidd said:

Dexter had an absolute shocker versus Motherwell.

Yep. For me personally I'd have Natty in every time. 

Gundermann
4 hours ago, StirlingJambo said:

Agree with you. Looks like he’s towing a caravan at times just now. Was Atkinson's fault for giving ball away for first goal on Saturday but Beni made it just as easy for him at the edge of the box. Was schoolboy defending.

Beni's defending is as 'good' as his shooting. His game at ER though should see him start.

Benny Klack

Regardless of which personnel we go with to start we will have more than enough quality between them and the bench to pump them.

They will likely come out the traps fast and have one or two unfamiliar players to us but if we play the way we did in the second halves of the Motherwell and Aberdeen games we should be too strong for them. 

Their defence is extremely poor - they’re no keeping a clean sheet the morra. 

FTH

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

There will be others dropped who started Saturday. Not Shankland though because he our best forward. Kinda like Gordon being our best goalie.

feedthefox
5 hours ago, Chimp said:

I'll be honest mate it's a very close call between the two! I really like Hof but just think Tait will stroll the game and keep things ticking over in the middle. Realistically Hof is going to be on from the beginning but I think Tait deserves his first start soon and no better time than against that lot 👌

Tait stroll the game?? He's promising for sure but stroll his first ever start in a derby think that's a stretch. Might well have a role later on but he's not starting ahead of Hoff end off.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, EH11 2NL said:

Hibs are getting leathered 

It's their own business how they get prepared for the derby the day before. Not my kink by any means but a bit TMI for KB IMO.

Graham Thomson
52 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Gordon

Dexter Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Niewinhof Beni

Vargas Grant Forrest

Shankland 

I think this team and formation will win 👍 and a good bench if we need to freshen things up. 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Beni's defending is as 'good' as his shooting. His game at ER though should see him start.

Beni is much better plying around or ahead of the halfway line. Playing deep he often looks like he's chasing shadows. 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Agreed, he was awful on Saturday. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

I think he is central to the way we play. Not disagreeing with your point, but we know exactly what we’re getting with Beni. He is virtually always in a defensive position, and often wins the ball back in tricky situations.

If Hibs want to sit in, he could be very important in adding protection. Swapping him risks upsetting what had been a good tactical approach for us over the past few months.

Watch the highlights again and see how little protection he gave the defence on Saturday when they were hitting on the break. 

6 hours ago, chrystaf said:

He ran the show at ER back in December