Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Our wingers aren't good enough. Forrest lacks the desired level of quality, Oda is clearly an impact sub and McKay disappears in big games. 

Need someone like Danny Armstrong or Luke McCowan IMO. 

Mate, Forrest creates millions of chances for us and his effort is unbelievable. The issue folk have with Forrest is that he loses the ball. That's because everytime he gets it, he's taking on his man or trying to play a forward pass. Doesn't always work but he only needs to get past his man once or twice and he scores or creates a chance, every week. I think Forrests been ****ing brilliant this season. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

Gordons left glove

In terms of goal scorers Robert polievka and oskar zawada have to be shouts

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Mate, Forrest creates millions of chances for us and his effort is unbelievable. The issue folk have with Forrest is that he loses the ball. That's because everytime he gets it, he's taking on his man or trying to play a forward pass. Doesn't always work but he only needs to get past his man once or twice and he scores or creates a chance, every week. I think Forrests been ****ing brilliant this season. 

3rd name on the team sheet after shanks and Kent. 

that said we should always be looking to improve in every position. Mccowan and Armstrong would be great additions .  Especially the latter

Edited by kingantti1874

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

3rd name on the team sheet after shanks and Kent. 

that said we should always be looking to improve in every position. Mccowan and Armstrong would be great additions .  Especially the latter

I agree that we should be looking to improve all the time. If Cochrane and Shanks were to be sold this summer then that would mean we'd be looking for a LB, ST, AM, RB/RWB. 

Looks like Beni is going too so add in a CM too. 

It's been stated that the club was looking to retain players to avoid large turn over numbers. 

But this summer might be a busy one. 

22 minutes ago, Mirror said:

I agree that we should be looking to improve all the time. If Cochrane and Shanks were to be sold this summer then that would mean we'd be looking for a LB, ST, AM, RB/RWB. 

Looks like Beni is going too so add in a CM too. 

It's been stated that the club was looking to retain players to avoid large turn over numbers. 

But this summer might be a busy one. 

I think so too and it needs to be. We have a number of players who have had ample opportunities to impress yet fail to do so when given the chance. Assuming Beni leaves, our whole midfield needs an overhaul minus the Hof. It's a very important area of the team and we really need to add some proper quality in there. No more squad players, we have Tait, Denholm and Pollock who can fill in if need be. We need to start investing some decent money on a better standard of player now.

18 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I think so too and it needs to be. We have a number of players who have had ample opportunities to impress yet fail to do so when given the chance. Assuming Beni leaves, our whole midfield needs an overhaul minus the Hof. It's a very important area of the team and we really need to add some proper quality in there. No more squad players, we have Tait, Denholm and Pollock who can fill in if need be. We need to start investing some decent money on a better standard of player now.

Wage bill is now approximately £15M. Hard to see how we can push that materially. Strategy is more likely trying to decrease squad size and/or supplement with younger players.

Edited by Carter

PapaShango

We 100% need better back up in defence. Its clear as day that Toby Sibbick just isn't good enough. Doesn't matter if you play decent for the majority of the game, he is liable for a mistake all the time that costs us goals. I've seen some say play him DM, but every time he has played there he has been equally as hopeless and just looks like a centre half playing out of position. Him and Rowles were a disaster together last season and both again on Saturday came up well short of what is needed. 

PapaShango
9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Forrest has been very good this season, but he can improve more with a bit of awareness of what is around him. At times its just head down, when he could cut it back pretty easily for a team mate. His skill on the bye line on Saturday was tremendous but his final ball lets him down too often. If he can work on that he will be an even better player. He is by far our most consistent wide player.

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

Wage bill is now approximately £15M. Hard to see how we can push that materially. Strategy is more likely trying to decrease squad size and/or supplement with younger players.

That's why we need to get rid of the players in the squad who will be on a decent wage and aren't good enough. Also if we secure group stage football in Europe we have a good chunk of cash coming in from that. Investing a bit of money into a few quality players shouldn't be out of the question. I'm not saying blow it all and be stupid with it though.

FionaHmfc
21 minutes ago, Chimp said:

That's why we need to get rid of the players in the squad who will be on a decent wage and aren't good enough. Also if we secure group stage football in Europe we have a good chunk of cash coming in from that. Investing a bit of money into a few quality players shouldn't be out of the question. I'm not saying blow it all and be stupid with it though.

Players like Haring and Halliday will be on a fair bit between them. That will be 2 wages freed up in the summer without any major impact on the squad in terms of depth as they’ve not been involved most of the season anyway. 

Edited by FionaHmfc

OmiyaHearts

Wouldnt be fussed if we moved on any of the following: Sibbick, Atkinson, Rowles, Denholm, Devlin, Haring, Grant, Boyce & Tagawa.

All of them easily replaced or won't be missed.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

RustyRightPeg
Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Wouldnt be fussed if we moved on any of the following: Sibbick, Atkinson, Rowles, Denholm, Devlin, Haring, Grant, Boyce & Tagawa.

Would keep Denholm and Tagawa. Other than that I'm in agreement.

OmiyaHearts
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I don't see it with Denholm. All his recent performances been forgettable. A man down on Saturday.

HopeDiouf
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

For me, Tagawa has been biggest passenger in squad this season.  Has contributed nowt.  Majority of the other players listed above have at least contributed at times

PapaShango
17 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Don't disagree with the list, more than likely we will lose Shankland and Cochrane if offers come in. Could be quite a rebuilding job to do over the summer. Atkinson has been terrible the majority of the time, Sibbick I've pretty much had enough of watching and I don't think anyone else on that list is too difficult to replace with better quality. I suspect we will see youngsters getting a chance and the squad size trimmed down. 

PapaShango
16 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I don't see it with Denholm. All his recent performances been forgettable. A man down on Saturday.

Is it worth trying him at RWB? I know he has played there for Scotland U21's and Naismith has tried him there in training games. He's full of energy and can tackle, maybe he is better suited to playing there than an advanced midfield role where he just looks lost. 

I'm not seeing it with Denholm but there's no chance he's off in the summer. Clearly rated by management. I think Devlin might leave though. Midfield will look quite different come August I reckon. 

22 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

For me, Tagawa has been biggest passenger in squad this season.  Has contributed nowt.  Majority of the other players listed above have at least contributed at times

Tagawa is evidently low in confidence and not entirely sure if he's worth us persisting with or offloading. He was given it on a plate vs Celtic and completely fluffed his chance when he just needed to control the pass and slot it home. Taking that would have done him the world of good IMO

KyleLafferty
Just now, RS86 said:

Tagawa is evidently low in confidence and not entirely sure if he's worth us persisting with or offloading. He was given it on a plate vs Celtic and completely fluffed his chance when he just needed to control the pass and slot it home. Taking that would have done him the world of good IMO

That pass from Devlin wasn’t great, it was behind him then he had to sort his feet out.

Jim Panzee
2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

That pass from Devlin wasn’t great, it was behind him then he had to sort his feet out.

agree - defo wasn't "on a plate" - if the pass had been 2-3 feet in front of Tagawa then fair enough

HopeDiouf
7 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

agree, equally, he should've sorted his feet out.  instead he fell over the ball.

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, RS86 said:

If on a plate is behind you then yeah, on a plate.

HopeDiouf

If on a plate is behind you then yeah, on a plate.

should still have sorted his feet out, not fallen over the ball.

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

should still have sorted his feet out, not fallen over the ball.

Why don't we look at what actually happened, 2 v 1 situation where Devlin does what he usually does and has little to no composure with the ball at his feet. A simple 5 yard pass into space ends up in the space behind the player he was trying to pass it to. Running at full speed then slowing down for a pass that's behind you isn't easy, regardless of your who you are.  

HopeDiouf
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Why don't we look at what actually happened, 2 v 1 situation where Devlin does what he usually does and has little to no composure with the ball at his feet. A simple 5 yard pass into space ends up in the space behind the player he was trying to pass it to. Running at full speed then slowing down for a pass that's behind you isn't easy, regardless of your who you are.  

Every player at the club would be disappointed if they failed to adjust their feet in time and fell over the ball in that situation.  

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

Every player at the club would be disappointed if they failed to adjust their feet in time and fell over the ball in that situation.  

Yeah but regardless of who fell over the ball it was still Devlin who shelled it directly behind where they wanted it. That is the issue.

56 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

Players like Haring and Halliday will be on a fair bit between them. That will be 2 wages freed up in the summer without any major impact on the squad in terms of depth as they’ve not been involved most of the season anyway. 

Yep, use both wages to invest in 1 quality player rather than spread over 2 average players, Quality over quantity now

HopeDiouf

Yeah but regardless of who fell over the ball it was still Devlin who shelled it directly behind where they wanted it. That is the issue.

if you really want to break it down, Tagawa should probably have been a half yard deeper giving more room for the ball to be played ahead of him.  As it was, the pass was tight, came in slightly behind where it should be.  At that point, any footballer will be disappointed if they can't adjust their feet to take the ball in, regardless of it being slightly behind.

RustyRightPeg

Looking 'in house' and purely in the league I think we could do worse than:

Dhanda for Grant.

Phillips as an upgrade on Devlin.

Penrice for free.

Luke McCowan/Lyall Cameron.

If we're looking for something different up top, look at Bair. Perhaps a one season wonder, but a handful.

Armstrong is a bit out of reach I think, Killie well within their rights to want a decent sum for him. 

Trying to think of any decent CBs who should be on our radar. Perhaps Lewis Mayo/Robbie Deas from Killie. 

Definitely a market we should be looking to take advantage of.

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

Due to missing out on group stage football this season it's likely our wage bill as a proportion of turnover to FYE June 2024 will be pretty high.

Squad needs thinned out and its important that young players come in and can contribute. Harsh as it may sound we can't afford to carry guys on good money like Boyce and Halkett to play only a few games a season.

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Due to missing out on group stage football this season it's likely our wage bill as a proportion of turnover to FYE June 2024 will be pretty high.

Squad needs thinned out and its important that young players come in and can contribute. Harsh as it may sound we can't afford to carry guys on good money like Boyce and Halkett to play only a few games a season.

Even then, I think the club are in a strong position financially and I'm sure Naisy will be backed reasonably well in the summer.

Keeping Boyce on the books was a mistake IMO and that money would have best been used elsewhere. With Halkett I can see why we kept him, if he does manage to beat his injury issue he's a huge asset.

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, Chimp said:

That's why the B team is so important.  Instead of splashing out money of average Englaish lower league players (there are exceptions like Kent of course), then the B teams should be helping fill the gaps when required in the hope that they also push on and become better players.   An average Denholm at 20 with potential to improve or an average Grant or Fraser both pushing 30 and probably little potential.  I know what I'd rather have.

29 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

That's why the B team is so important.  Instead of splashing out money of average Englaish lower league players (there are exceptions like Kent of course), then the B teams should be helping fill the gaps when required in the hope that they also push on and become better players.   An average Denholm at 20 with potential to improve or an average Grant or Fraser both pushing 30 and probably little potential.  I know what I'd rather have.

Absolutely. I've not seen much more from Grant or Fraser to suggest they should definitely be in ahead of our academy guys. 

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Dhanda for Grant.

Penrice for free.

If we're looking for something different up top, look at Bair. Perhaps a one season wonder, but a handful.

Armstrong is a bit out of reach I think, Killie well within their rights to want a decent sum for him. 

Trying to think of any decent CBs who should be on our radar. Perhaps Lewis Mayo/Robbie Deas from Killie. 

Personally, if we get the Euro money, I think we should consider a player like him. I think he is a cut above McCowan and what we currently have

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Dhanda for Grant.

Penrice for free.

In what way? he'll have 1 year left on his deal. What kind of sum are you expecting them to be holding out for?

RustyRightPeg
28 minutes ago, Chimp said:

In what way? he'll have 1 year left on his deal. What kind of sum are you expecting them to be holding out for?

Don't know sums, but same way we'll be wanting big dough for Shanks with 12 months left Killie would be daft not to do the same. He's their best player currently.

Transfermarkt has him down at £850K. I don't think they'd talk for anything less than that to start with.

11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Don't know sums, but same way we'll be wanting big dough for Shanks with 12 months left Killie would be daft not to do the same. He's their best player currently.

Transfermarkt has him down at £850K. I don't think they'd talk for anything less than that to start with.

Killie are nowhere near us financially though. We're in a very strong position and they aren't. It would be far more difficult for them to turn a half decent offer down.

I wouldn't ever go with Transfermarkt mate, it means absolutely nowt when it comes to transfer fees.

I really don't see how Killie could turn down anything close to the £1M mark. Genuinely don't think he's out with our price range. A club down south might offer more wages if they're interested but that remains to be seen. Haven't heard any rumours on that front.

13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Not only that. Everyone on here seems to forget that players like Armstrong could make a lot more wages down in England. Like, easily double and more at a team like Swansea.

Someone like Spittal from motherwell has similar assists and goals to Armstrong and is out of contract in the summer is more realistic. A bit of a journeyman I know buy he's 28 now and has bags of experience in this league

Chuck Berry

Lyall Cameron for me, reminds me of Paul Hartley. A year left on his deal and ready to progress, and was on Hearts radar last year.

4 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Rowles is a 1st pick.

Natty is a good option at RWB. 

Devlin needs to do a bit more to have a future but he has it in his locker and I expect him to screw the nut and show his worth. 

I'd agree about the rest. I think Tagawa needs to show something between now and the end of the season to keep next. 

Oda I think may be sold and we'll bank a  profit. I think if one goes the other will unless we're still looking at the J-league.  

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Someone like Spittal from motherwell has similar assists and goals to Armstrong and is out of contract in the summer is more realistic. A bit of a journeyman I know buy he's 28 now and has bags of experience in this league

How may time is Blair spiral going to get mentioned ? He bounces around the diddy clubs in the league becuase he’s extremely inconsistent. No where near Armstrong and doesn’t play in a position we need after signing Dhanda 

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Rowles is a 1st pick.

Devlin needs to do a bit more to have a future but he has it in his locker and I expect him to screw the nut and show his worth. 

I'd agree about the rest. I think Tagawa needs to show something between now and the end of the season to keep next. 

Oda I think may be sold and we'll bank a  profit. I think if one goes the other will unless we're still looking at the J-league.  

We need better than Rowles,If White wasn't so shite than the one in the 1st half where Simon Murray cuts it back is embarrassing defending from him.

We also need better than Atkinson,he has too many lapses in concentration.

Tagawa will be the 1st out the door,I would imagine both parties as keen to end it.

Oda is a cracking wee player,just needs that run of games.

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We need better than Rowles,If White wasn't so shite than the one in the 1st half where Simon Murray cuts it back is embarrassing defending from him.

We also need better than Atkinson,he has too many lapses in concentration.

Tagawa will be the 1st out the door,I would imagine both parties as keen to end it.

Oda is a cracking wee player,just needs that run of games.

Rowles had a bad game, wasn't the only one but he's been pretty good this season over all. 

Atkinson creates chances for us going forward and can actually beat players and progress us on the counter. Aye, he's not the biggest and isn't great defensively all the time but he battles away like ****. I like him. 

But ultimately, we've got to be realistic. We can't just flip half a squad every season. We struggle to find a RWB, nevermind getting rid of a decent one and trying to find two. Never going to happen. 

RustyRightPeg
16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Rowles is a 1st pick.

He's a first pick when there's a CB willing to go and put their head on the line next to him. He's a modern cb who doesn't particularly like contact. If an offer even remotely close to what the club value him at, I think he goes.

Gordons left glove

Kevin malcuit could be a good right back option. Free agent and Europa league experience, played for Lille, napoli, fiorentina and more. He's 33 though so age and wage demands could be a problem. 

Chuck Berry
4 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

He's 33 though so age and wage demands could be a problem. 

I don't think Hearts philosophy is spending money on players who are over 30.

Edited by Chuck Berry

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )