Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Correct, we now have youngsters who are capable of filling in when need be. As you say the likes of Denholm, Tait and Pollock will no doubt contribute more than Haring and Halliday in midfield and they're only going to improve. Also far more rewarding to see our own academy players develop and more beneficial to the club in the long run.

Exactly, we need to be in a position where "squad fillers" are coming from the B team with the hope that they progress to being more than just that, so we don't need to waste money and take a gamble. 

Tait was a "squad filler" last season for Euro home grown requirements, now he could be a stick-on to start next season. Pollock has the ability and may get his chance before the end of the season.  Denholm is already there.  There are others, Kirk obv out on loan, Ethan Drysdale looks very promising, Calum Sandilands, Bobby McLuckie to name a few.  Apparently there's more in the U16/18 pipeline.  Not all will make it of course, but it's a position that we have been crying out to be in.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

6 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Exactly, we need to be in a position where "squad fillers" are coming from the B team with the hope that they progress to being more than just that, so we don't need to waste money and take a gamble. 

Tait was a "squad filler" last season for Euro home grown requirements, now he could be a stick-on to start next season. Pollock has the ability and may get his chance before the end of the season.  Denholm is already there.  There are others, Kirk obv out on loan, Ethan Drysdale looks very promising, Calum Sandilands, Bobby McLuckie to name a few.  Apparently there's more in the U16/18 pipeline.  Not all will make it of course, but it's a position that we have been crying out to be in.

👍

HopeDiouf

Sounds like the Penrice and Phillips chat would likely be to replace Beni and Cochrane if they go.  Good to see us planning ahead if that is the case.

Niemi’s gloves
11 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Good post. And it’s not just about wasting money on bought-in squad fillers. If you have too many who consider themselves established first team players, then the scope for internal discord and divisions is obvious when some find themselves perpetually relegated to the bench. 

A bloated squad is a recipe for trouble and a block on the progress of promising young players. 

13 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Sounds like the Penrice and Phillips chat would likely be to replace Beni and Cochrane if they go.  Good to see us planning ahead if that is the case.

Neither are an upgrade on Beni and Cochrane though. Would still take both of them and good free transfers but not convinced they should be direct replacements.

Batistuta87
30 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Neither are an upgrade on Beni and Cochrane though. Would still take both of them and good free transfers but not convinced they should be direct replacements.

Correct. Penrice would have some work to do to get in the team ahead of Kingsley if Cochrane leaves. Kinglsey goes straight in at LB for me if that happens. Similarly if Beni goes and Phillips signs, I'm defaulting to Devlin and Denholm in the hole with Dhanda in the 10. 

As you say, they'd be decent enough signings but we've got stronger options already so if we're looking for direct first team replacements we need to be aiming a bit higher.

Edited by Batistuta87

HopeDiouf
30 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Would rather both stayed, but seems like one or more might move on, so main point was it's good that we appear to be planning ahead and lining up players on a free to replace them. (rather than e.g the RB situation we left ourselves in first half of this season).

Edited by HopeDiouf

gnasher75
3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Amazing if we can recoup the fee paid now and get him off the wage bill.  Unexpected extra cash to add to the Shankland fund.  

Don't think there is much of an issue with needing cover for Shankland with Boyce injured.  Vargas, Forrest and Oda can all play up front. 

14 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Amazing if we can recoup the fee paid now and get him off the wage bill.  Unexpected extra cash to add to the Shankland fund.  

Don't think there is much of an issue with needing cover for Shankland with Boyce injured.  Vargas, Forrest and Oda can all play up front. 

Is this for the summer or a club that is outwith the European transfer window?

jamboinglasgow
25 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

The article makes clear we dont have any intention of letting him go before the summer as they need him as backup. 

I would also say that if we let him go, the money would not go to sign up Shankland as we would need a replacement for Tagawa.

Saw that Vargas picked up a groin issue on Sunday, hopefully its ok and hes back for Saturday, but if not then Tagawa will have more chances in coming weeks. I think the rest of the season will determine if we keep him or not. I do hope we see him step up and finally show what he is capable of.

RustyRightPeg
34 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

What’s amazing about it? We’re one Shankland injury away from having no out and out striker fit if he goes.

Theres no way we sell him until the summer.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 hours ago, B4 Part B said:

I like the idea of the tiers! 

I agree with how GK and defence are currently rated (like you said, I think Halks has to prove himself fit enough again) and don't see much movement between tiers there. Highlights lack of depth at RB. (Neilson missing?)

Midfield could see a bit of movement between tiers (and I think you've missed Beni?). Highlights the need for a nailed on starter there.

Attackers could also see a bit of movement. Highlights lack of depth outside Shanks.

Would love us to go for a quality ready made starter at RB, CM, and winger/AM.  Shanks situation will determine if we need to do the same up top.

The rest compete for the remaining positions or establish themselves as a starter. I think they've all got enough ability to do that, just need to show it consistently and enhance it a bit further.

The squad is of course good enough to challenge for 3rd this season, they've proved that. Our rivals will strengthen, so the ones classed as squad players need to step up again next season (nothing to suggest they won't), and it would be good to give them real quality and experience around them to help. If you stand still you go backwards. So my hope would be a couple of Frankie Kent types (come in ready and good enough to play every week) are signed while the rest continue their development around them. 

Bit bold going with 10 players mind you.

Beni out of contract at the end of this season so he's not included. He's in that top-player tier if he does resign. When you lay it out like that, you can see that he's a really important piece of the puzzle for us as I wouldn't really consider Cammy a true 6 (what are positions nowadays) as he's not disciplined enough defensively, so it's somewhere we would be really struggling without him.

cosanostra
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

What’s amazing about it? We’re one Shankland injury away from having no out and out striker fit if he goes.

Theres no way we sell him until the summer.

Depends on Boyce being fit and what the offer is. If Boyce is fit and someone offers £300k or whatever we paid for him, they might just let him go and go with Shankland, Boyce, Wilson and Vargas as the 4 strikers.

SomethingAboutObua

If we can't get a replacement in I don't see how we can let Tagawa go. If he's taking time to get up with the physicality then we'd have no hope using any of our youth players, no way a 17 year olds going be able to cope faster than a 20 something pro. I don't buy the wont settle stuff tbh. He lived in Portugal so he's lived abroad, and he's hardly from a part of the world where grey sky/bad/cold weather doesn't happen. 

No doubt the da's on here that are more concerned about being proven right a player wont work out than seeing players succeed will be ****ing themselves into oblivion at this news 

Edited by SomethingAboutObua

HopeDiouf
Just now, cosanostra said:

Depends on Boyce being fit and what the offer is. If Boyce is fit and someone offers £300k or whatever we paid for him, they might just let him go and go with Shankland, Boyce, Wilson and Vargas as the 4 strikers.

For me, we'd bite their hand off if we get an offer, but I suspect this article is more a Hearts and/or Agent attempt at drumming up interest.

cosanostra
3 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

For me, we'd bite their hand off if we get an offer, but I suspect this article is more a Hearts and/or Agent attempt at drumming up interest.

Guess we'll find out.

He's contributing very little at the moment. Anyone any idea how far Boyce is from being fit? That'll be the most important factor I'd imagine. If he's injured, I think it's unlikely they'll let Tagawa go.

Gundermann
22 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Likely as I don't see what he's done here to "attract attention" from foreign clubs.

RustyRightPeg
25 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Boyce isn’t fit though, and hasn’t really shown he’s capable of staying fit this year. 

JimmyCant
3 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Here's a left field. Kevin Nisbet. 

He has had an injury hit season with Millwall (scored 5 in 20) but it seems the fans haven't taken to him, and I believe he now may be out for the season or at least for the next couple of months.  He'll still have 2 years left to run on his contract.

Maybe we could get him in on a loan and give him some game time, or maybe Millwall looking to cut their losses. Decent striker.

Probably take him, but the £2million plus they (stupidly) paid for him would be a hurdle, plus the age cut ? That’s the problem when average players get an English deal. Very difficult to bite the bullet and leave for the sake of your career but half the money.

JimmyCant
7 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Boyce isn’t fit though, and hasn’t really shown he’s capable of staying fit this year. 

Unfortunately Boyce had an option he exercised with a wage we won’t see much return on now. Should never have been extended carrying that injury in hindsight

Chuck Berry
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Probably take him, but the £2million plus they (stupidly) paid for him would be a hurdle, plus the age cut ? That’s the problem when average players get an English deal. Very difficult to bite the bullet and leave for the sake of your career but half the money.

Yeah it's a bit left field as I said.  Probably unrealistic given the money involved but if Millwall get relegated to L1 they might look to cut their losses.

Chuck Berry
6 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

What exactly is wrong with Boyce and how much longer is he on the sidelines for?

To answer my own question it sounds like a hamstring issue requiring surgery. Can probably forget about him this season, or at least until the split.

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Unfortunately Boyce had an option he exercised with a wage we won’t see much return on now. Should never have been extended carrying that injury in hindsight

Was a crazy option to include in his favour, but he's given the club good service and I'm sure he'll still contribute when he's back. 

Saw Jon McLaughlin is to be released from Rangers, obviously with Gordon & Zander we're well set in that department, but I always found it weird we only got him for a year. I don't know if Levein was unsure about him or what, but that really should have been a much longer contract. Am I right in saying this was down to McGregor having a handshake agreement with Levein to join, and then doubling back to go back to the huns? (or was this Matt Gilks?)

If you're Aberdeen or Hibs, He's not a bad signing to make at all. 

Edited by OTT

SomethingAboutObua
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Saw Jon McLaughlin is to be released from Rangers, obviously with Gordon & Zander we're well set in that department, but I always found it weird we only got him for a year. I don't know if Levein was unsure about him or what, but that really should have been a much longer contract. Am I right in saying this was down to McGregor having a handshake agreement with Levein to join, and then doubling back to go back to the huns? (or was this Matt Gilks?)

I'm sure I remember Gilks' name being put forward at the same time as McL

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

What’s this ‘Shankland fund’ we’ve already made him 2 offers, the second one presumably being at the very top of what we’re willing to pay him and he’s rejected them.  McKinley stayed quite clearly we’re not chucking crazy money at Shankland. Pretty clear to me we’ll be selling him in the summer if someone puts the right money on the table

8 minutes ago, OTT said:

Pretty sure we wanted him on a longer deal but at the time of signing he ddn't want to commit to being in Scotland for more than the initial year, chased the dosh at Sunderland and then Rangers (playing an average of 10 games a season), at 36 now and i'd put him in the McGovern bracket rather than Craig or Zander

JimmyCant
24 minutes ago, OTT said:

Was a crazy option to include in his favour, but he's given the club good service and I'm sure he'll still contribute when he's back. 

No doubt at full fitness he’d still in the match day squad at least. But that’ll be 2 seasons now hes hardly kicked a ball due to injury. Shankland has scored more in 6 months than Boyce has in 4 years. I hope he does the right thing and retires this summer instead of taking money for another year on the physios table

Edited by JimmyCant

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Japanese window open until end March, you would keep until at least then. I don't think this one is going to work tbh, would give us time to source another attacking option in the summer 

JimmyCant
35 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Yeah it's a bit left field as I said.  Probably unrealistic given the money involved but if Millwall get relegated to L1 they might look to cut their losses.

Indeed, plus he might have a relegation release. Didn’t he once knock us back for Hibs though. Y you don’t get that chance twice very often. He’d be very good for us I reckon 

JimmyCant
4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Japanese window open until end March, you would keep until at least then. I don't think this one is going to work tbh, would give us time to source another attacking option in the summer 

Unfortunately we can’t rest Shankland and give the guy a chance with a tweaked system to suit him. Pity as we’ll probably never really know about him although gut says not suited for this league

Saint Jambo

I think one of the interesting questions for the summer is who we might be willing to sell or even encourage bids for - beyond Shankland. If the Board/CEO/DoF see part of our long-term strategy as being player sales, then we need to be willing to cash in on players who are doing well. We are much more likely to get good bids when we are doing well  - a rising tide lifts all boats. That goes against what the fans might want which is to keep all our strong players. It is also potentially goes against what Naismith might want which sees to be stability of squad.

Players who might have value that could make them interesting from a sales point of view:

- Clark: 31 year old, international keeper, who has had a good season as number 1. If Gordon was going to be re-established as a number 1 next season then might sell, but my sense is that Clark is Naismith's number 1 and that is likely to continue.

- Sibbick: With a year left on his contract, limited game time, and interest in him in the past, a relatively small bid might be in the interest of player and club.

- Atkinson: A 24 year old international with a year left on his contract. If the signing from non-European markets and selling into England/Europe strategy is to bare fruit, this might be the time to try and cash in on Atkinson. That is one of the reasons I'd like to see him re-instated at right back between now and end of season (plus I think he is the best right back at the club still).

- Rowles: Similar to Atkinson in terms of fit into our strategy, but more established at club and country and on a longer term contract. Would be more disruptive to the squad and take more money to secure.

- Cochrane: As with Rowles would be disruptive to the team to sell him, but with one year left on his contract again it is probably sell this summer or lose for nothing. If we are purposefully a selling club we might want to sell.

- Devlin: Naismith has explained why he doesn't fit for now. Would still potentially attract an ok fee despite like of game time. One year left on contract and got to think he is unlikely to stay if he isn't playing, he clearly loves to play.

- Grant: Clear we would have been open to offers last year but they didn't come. Also clear Naismith didn't fancy him. He has turned it around and when fit is a regular starter. I think the question is whether Naismith still has doubts and whether we feel we could get better value for money elsewhere. A classic case of much more likely to get a decent bid for him when he has been playing regularly and well in a successful team.

I'm not saying I'd want to sell them, just they are players that might attract interest and club might let go for the right offer. I also don't expect we'd ever sell them all at once. If we sold two or three, I suspect we'd want to keep others for stability.

Would quite like to see a lot of contract extensions being sorted out from now until the summer, as highlighted by others, we've got a lot of players coming out of contract at the end of next season, and I think we should probably look to figure out whats going on there. Are they wanting to stay, are improved terms an option? do we need to sell? etc. 

Edited by OTT

Oda be a JT

Until there is six astrix on the thread title I can take it seriously 😟 

Heart&soul

I’m sure this will have posted already so apologies if this is a Pebbles moment - but EEN reporting teams are apparently interested in a move for Tagawa in the summer. Pity we’ve not seen the player in him we had hoped to find. 

E1FD2877-254F-41A7-B7BC-01CFBDEEE2D1.jpeg

I feel we need a big bruiser of a striker to complement Shankland and Vargas.

Hopefully Tagawa’s replacement is a Simms type striker.

• 4 weeks later...
Agentjambo

Lasse Sorensen- Lincoln RWB

Nigel Lonwijk -wolves CB

Karamoko Dembele Brest AM

mika Beireth Arsenal ST

A few I think we should be looking at….

Henroddy

Personally speaking think we need new right back. Midfield needs major surgery. Shankland will go. Leaves us with Tagawa and Vargas. So another 2 strikers.

Goalkeepers ok. 

Centre halves ok

Left backs ok

Agentjambo
5 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Personally speaking think we need new right back. Midfield needs major surgery. Shankland will go. Leaves us with Tagawa and Vargas. So another 2 strikers.

Goalkeepers ok. 

Centre halves ok

Left backs ok

I think Cochrane could be away too

johnking123

Going to have to spend some money on a striker if shankland goes. Midfielder if beni goes. 

Rightback

Midfielder, possibly 2

2 strikers

So 4/5 players in, 3/4 out.

johnking123
5 minutes ago, feej said:

Heart of Midlothian FC interested in Abbas Atto

Noticed that one. Some Nigerian lad. Winger/attacking midfielder. Think it's a lot of agent bull

Edited by johnking123

1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

Noticed that one. Some Nigerian lad. Winger/attacking midfielder.

Tenuous link, probably a load of rubbish but a fair bit about him on the web.

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )