Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

32 minutes ago, Chimp said:

reportedly a 6 figure sum around the 700k mark. Would happily pay £1m for him though

His wages are probably the biggest stumbling block with loads of teams down south able to offer much more than us. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

Today has probably been coming for a wee while in all honesty. We are third but the league is very poor this season. We've frequently been slow starting and functional but we've seldom been great this season. I've always felt many have got carried away about the quality of this group. Massively over reliant on Shankland for goals and midfield remains a big area of concern.

There have been several injuries to key players but every team gets injuries. Definitely see improvement under Naismith from what we had to endure under Neilson, but there are a number of players who need jettisoned because there is always a proclivity for these types of results with Hearts. Albeit they've been less frequent largely as a consequence of the higher than normal standards that Naismith has shownnamd demanded throughout his career. Dome of these players just cannot contend with those higher expectations and will need moved on.

I've every confidence Naismith knows exactly who needs emptied.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, mellors1874 said:

After watching that garbage today we need to empty the following.

Atkinson, rowles, sibbick, denholm, grant along with Boyce and haring.

Halkett and McKay need to either get fit or get out.

We need two right backs two centre Half's that actually can win a header or a 50/50 alongside Kent and at least 3 midfielders as see Beni not staying either and another striker of the mould of Simms big unit.

Almost feels like another massive overhawl which is frustrating.

Cochrane may also need replacing.

54 minutes ago, Carter said:

Today has probably been coming for a wee while in all honesty. We are third but the league is very poor this season. We've frequently been slow starting and functional but we've seldom been great this season. I've always felt many have got carried away about the quality of this group. Massively over reliant on Shankland for goals and midfield remains a big area of concern.

There have been several injuries to key players but every team gets injuries. Definitely see improvement under Naismith from what we had to endure under Neilson, but there are a number of players who need jettisoned because there is always a proclivity for these types of results with Hearts. Albeit they've been less frequent largely as a consequence of the higher than normal standards that Naismith has shownnamd demanded throughout his career. Dome of these players just cannot contend with those higher expectations and will need moved on.

Yep. Our attacking play is dire. We're slow and ponderous in our build up play and attackers constantly hold onto the ball for too long. Forrest in particular. 

I know Forrest has his positives, but there isn't any mileage in talking about that, because his negatives - bad & slow decision making in the final 3rd combined with lacklustre finishing are a huge issue. Watching Shankland having to drop as deep as he does because the midfield aren't linking effectively with him is also absolutely rage inducing. 

One positive from today, Beni was really trying to bring the ball forward. I think a big problem for him is that its clearly not his natural game, and part of coming forward with the ball also will include a willingness to pull the trigger. I genuinely don't believe Beni would shoot unless it was a 3 yard tap in. Its good though that he's trying, and I hope he can build on it. 

Anyway, getting improvements in the summer in the wide areas and behind Shanks is crucial. I think in Dhanda we've partly doen that, but someone like Armstrong really would be the the sort of player we're looking for. 

I'm looking forward to the summer window. Its clear there are players in the squad who aren't strong enough to cope with the demands of playing for a team expecting to finishing 3rd. A lot coasting by on Shanklands goals. 

16 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yep. Our attacking play is dire. We're slow and ponderous in our build up play and attackers constantly hold onto the ball for too long. Forrest in particular. 

I know Forrest has his positives, but there isn't any mileage in talking about that, because his negatives - bad & slow decision making in the final 3rd combined with lacklustre finishing are a huge issue. Watching Shankland having to drop as deep as he does because the midfield aren't linking effectively with him is also absolutely rage inducing. 

One positive from today, Beni was really trying to bring the ball forward. I think a big problem for him is that its clearly not his natural game, and part of coming forward with the ball also will include a willingness to pull the trigger. I genuinely don't believe Beni would shoot unless it was a 3 yard tap in. Its good though that he's trying, and I hope he can build on it. 

Anyway, getting improvements in the summer in the wide areas and behind Shanks is crucial. I think in Dhanda we've partly doen that, but someone like Armstrong really would be the the sort of player we're looking for. 

I'm looking forward to the summer window. Its clear there are players in the squad who aren't strong enough to cope with the demands of playing for a team expecting to finishing 3rd. A lot coasting by on Shanklands goals. 

Naismith is inexperienced but he has high demands based on what he's done in his career. The paucity of goals out with Shankland is clearly a concern. I'm still not convinced Rangers actually want Shankland and his options are maybe not what he think they'll be. 

I just don't think we've been particularly convincing this season. I feel Naismith is worthy of our continued support though. But the summer is a big window for us as a club and Naismith as a coach going into his second season.

Edited by Carter

7 minutes ago, Carter said:

Naismith is inexperienced but he has high demands based on what he's done in his career. The paucity of goals out with Shankland is clearly a concern. I'm still not convinced Rangers actually want Shankland and his options are maybe not what he think they'll be. 

I just don't think we've been particularly convincing this season. I feel Naismith is worthy of our continued support though. But the summer is a big window for us as a club and Naismith as a coach going into his second season.

Yeah, my gut feeling from what we've seen of Naismith is that he's got very good tactical awareness and has been able to correct course in the 2nd half multiple times. My only gripe is having to do that so much. If we could start more positively and get some early goals. Instead its created very tight and cagey games. 

I hope you're right about Shankland, I want him to finish his career here and be a club legend. Its at his fingertips to do. Just needs to want to do it and interest from the Orcs could scupper that for what I assume will be a rinse and repeat of Lafferty's stint there. 

Really important that Savage and the board back Naismith in the summer. Get in some bodies that can actually improve us immediately instead of the jam tomorrow attitude with players like Oda, Tagawa and TBH the Aussies. Get in players that can hit the ground running and make an instant impact. If it costs a little more, well thats the cost of continuing to push forward.. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, my gut feeling from what we've seen of Naismith is that he's got very good tactical awareness and has been able to correct course in the 2nd half multiple times. My only gripe is having to do that so much. If we could start more positively and get some early goals. Instead its created very tight and cagey games. 

I hope you're right about Shankland, I want him to finish his career here and be a club legend. Its at his fingertips to do. Just needs to want to do it and interest from the Orcs could scupper that for what I assume will be a rinse and repeat of Lafferty's stint there. 

Really important that Savage and the board back Naismith in the summer. Get in some bodies that can actually improve us immediately instead of the jam tomorrow attitude with players like Oda, Tagawa and TBH the Aussies. Get in players that can hit the ground running and make an instant impact. If it costs a little more, well thats the cost of continuing to push forward.. 

We definitely need to sign players this summer who can come in and improve the side. I think Dhanda will do that although I'm not quite sure we suit a No. 10 type, particularly if Shanks does stay as we need a pace outlet beyond him. The entire style of play and approach changes quite fundamentally dependent on whether Shanks stays or goes. 

Midfield is just nowhere near the standard we require. Big summer ahead.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

GK - we are set.  Zander’s contract expires May 25 so getting him to sign an extension will be important.

DF - Atkinson, Lembiska, Sibbick to go.  Cochrane to be sold and cash in.    Halkett will stay part of the squad but I just don’t see how we will play regularly again.  Leaves Kent, Rowles, Kingsley.  Reports on Neilson seem mixed.  We need to sign 3 new players.

MF - Haring, Fraser to go.  Grant maybe - he’s better than a lot of people here seem to think, but not consistent enough.  Hope Beni stays.  Leaves us with Hoff, Devlin, Tait, Pollock, Denholm.  We need to sign 2-3 new players.

FW - Vargas to be made permanent.  Shankland who knows.  Boyce is with us another year but isn’t what we need.  Leaves us with Oda, Tagawa, McKay, Forrest.  We need to sign 1 or 2 players, dependent on whether Shankland is stays or goes.

So that’s 7-8 players needed; all serious upgrades, with 6-7 players out min.

Really important this window; will allow Naismith to really shape “his” team and style and see if he can keep progressing as a coach.  I think Tagawa will come good, particularly if we adapt our style and play to his strengths.  

Geoff Kilpatrick

Tend to agree but I'd reduce midfield requirements to allow room for the youngsters. I think Tait could be a massive player for us.

Leveins Battalion

I don't think we are in that bad a place to be fair.

IMO we do need a Right Back,with Halketts injuries and Rowles weaknesses I would like us to sign a monster of a Centre Half.

We do need an extra bit of class in the centre of the Park butvwith a front 3 of potentially Shankland,McKay and Dhanda that is absolute quality.

Boris5115
2 hours ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

GK - we are set.  Zander’s contract expires May 25 so getting him to sign an extension will be important.

DF - Atkinson, Lembiska, Sibbick to go.  Cochrane to be sold and cash in.    Halkett will stay part of the squad but I just don’t see how we will play regularly again.  Leaves Kent, Rowles, Kingsley.  Reports on Neilson seem mixed.  We need to sign 3 new players.

MF - Haring, Fraser to go.  Grant maybe - he’s better than a lot of people here seem to think, but not consistent enough.  Hope Beni stays.  Leaves us with Hoff, Devlin, Tait, Pollock, Denholm.  We need to sign 2-3 new players.

FW - Vargas to be made permanent.  Shankland who knows.  Boyce is with us another year but isn’t what we need.  Leaves us with Oda, Tagawa, McKay, Forrest.  We need to sign 1 or 2 players, dependent on whether Shankland is stays or goes.

Really important this window; will allow Naismith to really shape “his” team and style and see if he can keep progressing as a coach.  I think Tagawa will come good, particularly if we adapt our style and play to his strengths.  

Pretty much nailed it mate. Every area requires move ons and upgrades coming Inn. It's a tough job for Naismith and Co in the coming months. 

Bongo 1874
2 hours ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Really depends what the ambitions are,we play a system that suits certain players, we go away from that system, and look really good when we close down teams and press high.

433 doesn't suit Shankland for example as he is the Lone Striker.

So 4231 which I don't mind or 352 suits him.

4231 worked better with Gino just ahead as Gino closed down and knew how to press, and move around.

Most importantly Gino had the one thing teams most fear, Pace.

Craig Gordon gk

2 Zander Clark gk

3 Harry Stone gk 

4 Nathaniel Atkinson rb

5 Lewis Neilson rb/cb

6 Frankie Kent cb

7 Craig Halkett cb 

8 Toby Sibbick  Dm

9 Kye Rowles Cb look to sell.

10 Stephen Kingsley Cb 

11 Alex Cochrane  X lb/ cm look to sell 

12 Calem Nieuwenhof cm

13 Cameron Devlin cm

14 Macauley Tait cm

15 Jorge Grant    X cm look to sell

16 Callum Sandilands loan 

17 Finlay Pollock cm

18 Aidan Denholm cm

19 Barrie McKay lw

20 Yutaro Oda rw 

21 Alan Forrest lw 

22 Yan dhanda lw/rw/ cam

23 Kyosuke Tagawa   X st

24 Liam Boyce cam 

25 Kenneth Vargas st/lw/ rw 

26 lawrence shankland   X St look to sell if no further forward, with contract renewal in summer.

Stole this from @johnking123thanks mate.

I count that as four outs.

Grant,Rowles,Cochrane,

Sandilands loan.

Taken us down to 22 

20 if Stone goes back out on loan and Shankland is sold.

Midfield option is key,and I would like to see tait given more game time next season.

Tait could be a real player at us but he needs the right mentor beside him.

Someone that has similar traits to him.

If Shankland goes we need a captain right away.

Very ambitious and unlikely but I'm praying he doesn't sign a new deal,and that west brom don't go up.

Luke McGowan and Daniel Armstrong are solid signings too.

And would give us pace and energy great workrate all over the park.

You count Mowatt, Luke McGowan, Daniel Armstrong, that's 3 in the door.

Mowatt is at the age of 28, he's experienced and is exactly who we need to mentor our young midfielders.

Another midfielder to look at and he's a goal scoring midfielder is Lars Gindorf very similar to Blair Spittal.

Here he won goal of November.

Appearances

Goals

Assists

His stats currently this season available on a pre contract.

That takes us to 24 players if you choose between him or Blair Spittal.

I hope Halkett doesn't break down,so maybe 23,we could do with another Centre-Back if he isn't up to it.

Leaving left back,right back,and striker as needing more options.

Left back option would be this guy,available on pre contract.

Taking us to 25/ and I would take Lembikisa back on loan if his parent club allowed us.

That takes us to 26.

Leaving striker as a problem.

If Shankland goes.

I'm pretty set on that,but would like to see who becomes available in summer for Strikers.

Obviously a lot depends on if Shankland goes,we set up to get the best out of him.

This can have the effect were relying on him, can actually be more a problem,because the responsibility shouldn't be all on him.

We need to learn to win games, and function as a team with and without him.

Putting better players beside him will obviously help this problem.

But we need to give others the chance to show and step up.

loveofthegame

We're having a great season, but still plenty weaknesses.

GK - Gordon and Zander still for another year. Need to tie Zander down and wouldn't put it past CG to still have 2 years in him. The man is incredible. So sorted for GK.

RB - Dexter goes back to Wolves and his performances have been mixed in any event. Atkinson isn't good enough. Need a new RB.

CH - Sell Sibbick, will never be consistent or good enough to be a reliable regular. Halkett's fitness can't be trusted. Rowles is still not consistently the player we thought we were tying down on a long term deal. Neilson comes back in alongside Kent, Kingsley and Rowles. If Halkett fit and Rowles stays (which I assume he will) I can't see us doing anything at CH. 5 is plenty.

LB - Cochrane entering the final year of his deal and sadly can't see him signing on. Another player we should have tied down already. I suspect he might leave in summer. Kingsley and Rowles can play LB but both seem to be preferred at CH. If Cochrane goes I suspect we'll look to bring in another LB.

Midfielders - a lot of numbers but still missing the quality to kick on, especially when Beni inevitably goes. He's giving the usual talk in the media which to me suggests he's 99% off, just not coming out and saying it yet. Fraser hasn't shown nearly enough to be made permanent. Still not convinced  Denholm makes the grade. Cammy limited but an effective squad player. Grant in same bracket as Cammy for me.

On the plus side, Hoff is improving rapidly and could be a real gem. Same goes on early viewing of Tait. Too early to judge Pollock.

So if (/when) we lose Beni we need at least one in there. To kick on we probably need two.

Wide men - If McKay can get and stay fit he'll be a huge asset and like a new signing next season. Oda slowly becoming more consistent. Forrest a great squad player. Vargas can play out there albeit not been hugely effective out wide. Not sure we need much in this area tbh.

Striker/10 - Tagawa to be sold, has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he'll ever be good enough. Boyce's fitness unreliable and hard to see a world where Shanks is a Hearts player next season. If Der Hun have any interest he'll push a move, and likely to be some interest from English Championship too. A fit Boyce and an improving Vargas will be assets but without being very, very smart (/lucky) in the transfer window then Shanks is absolutely irreplaceable. Would need to bring in at least two and/or hope Boyce and Vargas can weigh in with 10ish goals each next season.

So for me, we'll lose up to 7/8 first team squad members this summer and the job will be to replace them with better. That is possible for some of them but if we lose any or all of Shanks, Beni and Cochrane its a serious ask. We are being told that the capital investment is done for a while and that the player budget will therefore increase - that gives me hope.

Big summer, especially as Aberdeen and Hibs will likely invest (albeit far from guaranteed that either will get it right).

Interesting times ahead.

Edited by loveofthegame

Drylaw Hearts

First team squad players who can leave….

McGovern

Atkinson

Dexter

Sibbick

Haring

Grant

Devlin

Fraser

Denholm

Boyce

Oda

Tagawa

Cochrane and Beni will probably leave this summer…..which leaves us with a shit load of work to do.

Clerry Jambo

My 2 main signings that will need to be of quality not projects are a centre half to play alongside Kent and a number 9 when I think shanks will be gone 

19/05/2012

A few games this season we have lacked a plan B up front when Shankland isn’t on it we really need some pace and strength running in behind to stretch the game. If Shankland goes we will need 2 or 3 new strikers. On top of that we need a new right back, centre half and some height and physicality in the midfield.

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers ( merged )
jamboinglasgow

Some posts on this reminds me of the saying of "dont shop on an empty stomach." For this thread it should be "dont make posts on who we should get rid of after a bad result."

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Carter said:

Pretty much sums it up. Naismith will be wondering how we can improve in order to do a little better in Europe. Tough as that sounds.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, loveofthegame said:

We're having a great season, but still plenty weaknesses.

GK - Gordon and Zander still for another year. Need to tie Zander down and wouldn't put it past CG to still have 2 years in him. The man is incredible. So sorted for GK.

RB - Dexter goes back to Wolves and his performances have been mixed in any event. Atkinson isn't good enough. Need a new RB.

CH - Sell Sibbick, will never be consistent or good enough to be a reliable regular. Halkett's fitness can't be trusted. Rowles is still not consistently the player we thought we were tying down on a long term deal. Neilson comes back in alongside Kent, Kingsley and Rowles. If Halkett fit and Rowles stays (which I assume he will) I can't see us doing anything at CH. 5 is plenty.

LB - Cochrane entering the final year of his deal and sadly can't see him signing on. Another player we should have tied down already. I suspect he might leave in summer. Kingsley and Rowles can play LB but both seem to be preferred at CH. If Cochrane goes I suspect we'll look to bring in another LB.

Midfielders - a lot of numbers but still missing the quality to kick on, especially when Beni inevitably goes. He's giving the usual talk in the media which to me suggests he's 99% off, just not coming out and saying it yet. Fraser hasn't shown nearly enough to be made permanent. Still not convinced  Denholm makes the grade. Cammy limited but an effective squad player. Grant in same bracket as Cammy for me.

On the plus side, Hoff is improving rapidly and could be a real gem. Same goes on early viewing of Tait. Too early to judge Pollock.

So if (/when) we lose Beni we need at least one in there. To kick on we probably need two.

Wide men - If McKay can get and stay fit he'll be a huge asset and like a new signing next season. Oda slowly becoming more consistent. Forrest a great squad player. Vargas can play out there albeit not been hugely effective out wide. Not sure we need much in this area tbh.

Striker/10 - Tagawa to be sold, has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he'll ever be good enough. Boyce's fitness unreliable and hard to see a world where Shanks is a Hearts player next season. If Der Hun have any interest he'll push a move, and likely to be some interest from English Championship too. A fit Boyce and an improving Vargas will be assets but without being very, very smart (/lucky) in the transfer window then Shanks is absolutely irreplaceable. Would need to bring in at least two and/or hope Boyce and Vargas can weigh in with 10ish goals each next season.

So for me, we'll lose up to 7/8 first team squad members this summer and the job will be to replace them with better. That is possible for some of them but if we lose any or all of Shanks, Beni and Cochrane its a serious ask. We are being told that the capital investment is done for a while and that the player budget will therefore increase - that gives me hope.

Big summer, especially as Aberdeen and Hibs will likely invest (albeit far from guaranteed that either will get it right).

Interesting times ahead.

Rowles at LB...no thanks

Boyce...cant rely upon  his avaialbility/ fitness now, nor next season

Big opportuinty for Nielson to break through with Kent, IMO.

Yesterday shows where our midfield is at...

Bazzas right boot

Our transfer plans would not have changed based on one game.

As it stands 

A rb will still be required

An attacking midfielder - Dhanda

A replacement for Beni

Another wide option

Haring, Denholm away and

Imo Sibbick, Grant and Tagawa will leave.

Neilson can replace Sibbick

That means we'll need to replace Grant and Tagawa, especially Tagawa as we need another viable forward option.

If Shankland leaves, then we will need another striker.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Jamb04life
18 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

As it stands 

A replacement for Beni

Another wide option

Haring, Denholm away and

That means we'll need to replace Grant and Tagawa, especially Tagawa as we need another viable forward option.

Naismith clearly likes Denholm so can’t see him leaving. Started over Grant, Devlin and Tait yesterday.

Hopefully a loan move for Denholm might work 

Philfigo

If Beni leaves in summer and Shankland is sold we are in a very bad place, those 2 are what make the team. Massive summer window for recruitment get it right and we will start to pull away big style from the rest. Get it wrong we are back in the dog fight to scape 3rd.

Bongo 1874
11 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

If Beni leaves in summer and Shankland is sold we are in a very bad place, those 2 are what make the team. Massive summer window for recruitment get it right and we will start to pull away big style from the rest. Get it wrong we are back in the dog fight to scape 3rd.

Those two may be holding the team back,  if you look at things a different way and perspective.

We have lost better than them,and replaced them.

I watch bodo glimt and there team every year get ripped apart,and they constantly improve and get recruitment spot on.

It can be done.

Look at Brighton and Brentford.

They work from a solid base,midfield experienced as is defence.

More talented players call it skillful,out wide and upfront.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Philfigo
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Those two may be holding the team back,  if you look at things a different way and perspective.

I watch bodo glimt and there team every year get ripped apart,and they constantly improve and get recruitment spot on.

It can be done.

Agree if the recruitment is done correct, we can be like those clubs constantly reinventing themselves. Savage simply must find us 3 or 4 gems in the summer none of this sign 5 players and only 2 are any good.

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Philfigo said:

Agree if the recruitment is done correct, we can be like those clubs constantly reinventing themselves. Savage simply must find us 3 or 4 gems in the summer none of this sign 5 players and only 2 are any good.

Those gems are in our league solid base,not nice but what do the old firm do ? Weaken teams,Daniel Armstrong, Luke McGowan, can Dundee and Kilmarnock go out and get better maybe ? But chances are they won't.

Smart signing in Dhanda,I actually think Tagawa could really like playing with someone like him,he sees the game differently from others and his passing range is outrageous.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

As it stands 

A replacement for Beni

Another wide option

Haring, Denholm away and

Beni.. Hoping Hoff can get enough minutes this season remaining to play as a No6. I think he has the recovery pace and energy levels to do it.

Lone Striker

imo, the biggest thing we need to improve on is the attacking aspect of our midfield - creating chances for others but also chipping in with regular shots at goal themselves.  Rudi was exceptional, but it seems that a lot of modern coaches don't encourage  their midfield players to shoot from  more than 20 yards out., and even then their first thought is often to make a "safe" sideways pass.

Blair Spittal has decent stats for creativity and shots on goal.  No doubt Bongo will come up with a dozen better midfielders from abroad  - but someone like him alongside Dhanda & McKay would improve our goal threat.

GK

Gordon, Clark, Stone*, McFarlane* 

DF

Atkinson, (RWB), Kent, [Sibbick], Neilson Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley, Cochrane, Dall*, McLuckie*

CM

Beni, (DM)Hoff, [Devlin], [Grant], Denholm*, Tait*, Pollock*

AM/WG

[Oda], Forrest, McKay, Dhanda , Sandilands*

FWD

Shankland, Vargas, Boyce, [Tagawa], Kirk*, Wilson*

•*Academy players(Position needs recruited for) • Cochrane, Beni, Shankland - players that may be sold • [Could be moved on] • Dhanda - assuming he has signed. 

Massive work for Naisy and Savage to decide who we're keeping, selling and promoting. 

Obvious weaknesses for me are RWB. I'm a fan of Natty but he needs competition. Dexter has been good but he will probably go out on loan to the English Championship next season. Could do with someone athletic and quick, preferably good at both ends of the park. I don't think a "loan" is the answer. 

Definitely need a DM with Haring leaving and even now, with Beni available we lack another option in there. 

We need to look at the squad depth. [Sibbick, Devlin, Grant, Tagawa] do they have a future at Hearts? If not, it's positions we need to both replace and more importantly - upgrade in. 

Then we have 3 key players that may be sold or leave in Cochrane, Beni and Shankland. Clearly those players will need to be replaced with real quality. Hopefully we keep all 3, we shall see. 

As it stands, I think we need to recruit for 2 positions. I think we keep  Devlin and I reckon Sibbick, Grant, Oda and Tagawa will sold. That's probably 6 and if we lose lose Beni, Cochrane and Shanks. 9 first team players. 

Hopefully the wheels are in motion and we're already making moves because it could be a very busy summer for Naisy and Joe. We need to learn lessons from previous seasons as well and "be ready" for European matches. 

Next season could be a bit of a stinker if we're to lose several key players plus try to upgrade several average players, and hoping they can all gel.

Let's all hope we can do some good business.

Edited by Hansel

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Next season could be a bit of a stinker if we're to lose several key players plus try to upgrade several average players, and hoping they can all gel.

Tremendous. This season not finished, we are in 3rd place and cup semi final, with perhaps European group football to look forward to.

Let's ignore that and instead start thinking about how bad next season will be.

Who on earth thinks like that? 

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Tremendous. This season not finished, we are in 3rd place and cup semi final, with perhaps European group football to look forward to.

This thread is about the summer transfer window so its nothing to do with this season's achievements.

Just saying, if we lose Shanks, Beni and Cochrane, as others have also discussed, it'll be hard to replace them.

It's not uncommon for teams in this league(hearts included) to have a very good season followed by a super shite season. So, hopefully we get it right in the transfer window.

6 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

First team squad players who can leave….

McGovern

Atkinson

Dexter

Sibbick

Haring

Grant

Devlin

Fraser

Denholm

Boyce

Oda

Tagawa

Cochrane and Beni will probably leave this summer…..which leaves us with a shit load of work to do.

Wouldn't disagree with much or any of this. Oda might well be retained as to punt him and Tagawa would probably be seen as an admission that our moves in that market have been unsuccessful. Which is sadly pretty much the case. 

Pretty sure we'll be keen on offers for most of those you highlight. Sibbick, Grant, Devlin & Tagawa in particular. 

Huge amount of work required. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

It can be done.

They work from a solid base,midfield experienced as is defence.

More talented players call it skillful,out wide and upfront.

Brighton and Brentford are getting worse.

6 minutes ago, Hansel said:

This thread is about the summer transfer window so its nothing to do with this season's achievements.

Just saying, if we lose Shanks, Beni and Cochrane, as others have also discussed, it'll be hard to replace them.

It's not uncommon for teams in this league(hearts included) to have a very good season followed by a super shite season. So, hopefully we get it right in the transfer window.

This was very much the theme during late 80's and early 90's. The super shite coinciding with us playing in Europe. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

A defeat utterly breaks some on here.

A poster further up started a post with

"After today's performance" its clear we need to empty a host of players then rattled of Boyce as one of  them......

Tbh, we have a poster that would drop Shankland and have Sibbick in midfield,  I'm not sure if folk are genuinely serious or just trying to get attention and be controversial.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Hansel said:

3rd, 4th, 3rd atm suggests we are in the process of breaking that trend.

Jocam2325

I love a wee read of Kickback but honestly some people don't half like trying to sound knowledgable about formations and transfer targets. One poster in particular posting videos and stats of mostly unheard of players hoping against hope that something comes off and he/she can say 'told you so'. The time spent on vomiting what is largely nonsense on a football forum staggers me. 

Luckies1874

Any lists for next season confidently predicting that Halkett and Boyce are members of the squad likely to contribute need revisited. Was the same story last summer. These guys simply can't be relied upon anymore. 

21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

3rd, 4th, 3rd atm suggests we are in the process of breaking that trend.

Hopefully we can keep it going.

Shanks, Cochrane and Beni have all played a big part in setting that new trend at various stages over the past 3 seasons, so be tricky to replace them. Definitely seems we have the funds there to bring in some quality.

I've been really bothered by how bad Scott Fraser actually has been. Utterly non-existant. Playing like he's already got a contract. Very hard to get excited about the prospect of him staying longer. Will be extremely annoyed if we make this permanent. Looks to be a complete waste of money. 

If Beni goes, we need a Djoum type that is much more dynamic. I'm not sure how we get that though. 

pharmaceutical01

Was there not chat on Phillips from St Johnstone on a pre-contract?   Might be a Beni replacement? 

Go for it 1308
11 hours ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Disagree about grant...he's pish. Agree with everything else

Famous 1874

Will be a fair bit of squad overhaul in the summer. Dexter and Fraser will return to their parent clubs whilst Vargas will sign permanently. 

Bin:

Atkinson, Sibbick, Grant and Denholm. 

I want to be patient with Tagawa but I think he may return to Japan. We’ll recuperate the initial outlay and he’ll go home.

Haring will leave at the end of his contract. Tait has already replaced him in the squad.

Then I wonder if we may see a Rowles / Cochrane sale. 

Keep Shankland unless we get a ridiculous offer. 

Goalies: 

Zander Clark

Craig Gordon 

Right Back:

2 new ones required. Ryan Strain is out of contract at St Mirren but I think is more suited to a wing back role instead of a full back.

Centre backs:

Frankie Kent 

Stephen Kingsley

Craig Halkett 

Kye Rowles 

Lewis Neilson

Left Back:

Alex Cochrane 

1 new left back. James Penrice rumoured back in January.

Centre Midfielders:

Calem Nieuwenhof 

Macaulay Tait

Beni Baningime - assumes he extends which is probably unlikely 

Dan Philips - rumoured pre-contract from St Johnstone 

Cammy Devlin

1 new central midfielder 

Attacking Midfielders:

Yan Dhanda - pre contract from Ross County 

1 new number 10

Findlay Pollock to supplement the squad 

Liam Boyce? Finished imo but suspect he will stay. 

Wingers:

Alan Forrest 

Barrie McKay

Yutaro Oda 

1 new left footed winger 

Bobby McLuckie to supplement the squad 

Strikers:

Lawrence Shankland 

Kenneth Vargas 

1 new striker 

James Wilson to supplement the squad 

GinRummy

This summers targets are fairly similar to last summers targets. We need a right back, a centre back, a midfielder and a striker (2 if Shanks leaves). I’ve not given up on any of the new signings but Atkinson, at the very least needs competition, Halks can’t be relied on and if Kent is injured it’s back to Toby and Kye which doesn’t work. Our attacking midfield options are awful. If Tagawa stays then fine, some players take a long time to settle and show their worth but at the moment he isn’t a solid option and neither is Boyce who misses way too many chances and isn’t getting any younger. 

Edited by GinRummy

Under the floodlight
2 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

I love a wee read of Kickback but honestly some people don't half like trying to sound knowledgable about formations and transfer targets. One poster in particular posting videos and stats of mostly unheard of players hoping against hope that something comes off and he/she can say 'told you so'. The time spent on vomiting what is largely nonsense on a football forum staggers me. 

Best post ever😎

GavK1012
2 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

Amen.

Mods can we have a Walter Mitty thread for the unemployed and fantasist's to save the rest of us time scrolling through pleeease....

🤞

Edited by GavK1012
Typo

GinRummy
2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Any lists for next season confidently predicting that Halkett and Boyce are members of the squad likely to contribute need revisited. Was the same story last summer. These guys simply can't be relied upon anymore. 

100 percent. Sadly, next season will be their last and if the stars are aligned they can both contribute but folk were counting on them in the last summer transfer thread and look at how that’s worked out. 

Edited by GinRummy

johnking123
1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

Will be a fair bit of squad overhaul in the summer. Dexter and Fraser will return to their parent clubs whilst Vargas will sign permanently. 

Bin:

I want to be patient with Tagawa but I think he may return to Japan. We’ll recuperate the initial outlay and he’ll go home.

Haring will leave at the end of his contract. Tait has already replaced him in the squad.

Goalies: 

Zander Clark

Craig Gordon 

Right Back:

2 new ones required. Ryan Strain is out of contract at St Mirren but I think is more suited to a wing back role instead of a full back.

Centre backs:

Frankie Kent 

Stephen Kingsley

Craig Halkett 

Kye Rowles 

Lewis Neilson

Left Back:

Alex Cochrane 

Centre Midfielders:

Calem Nieuwenhof 

Macaulay Tait

Cammy Devlin

1 new central midfielder 

Attacking Midfielders:

1 new number 10

Wingers:

Alan Forrest 

Barrie McKay

Yutaro Oda 

1 new left footed winger 

Strikers:

Lawrence Shankland 

Kenneth Vargas 

1 new striker 

Would want one more CB. Another Kent style please.

Finlay James
9 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Some posts on this reminds me of the saying of "dont shop on an empty stomach." For this thread it should be "dont make posts on who we should get rid of after a bad result."

Just about to post exactly the same.  This thread wouldn’t have been bumped had we won on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Bin:

Goalies: 

Zander Clark

Craig Gordon 

Right Back:

Centre backs:

Frankie Kent 

Stephen Kingsley

Craig Halkett 

Kye Rowles 

Lewis Neilson

Left Back:

Alex Cochrane 

Centre Midfielders:

Calem Nieuwenhof 

Macaulay Tait

Cammy Devlin

1 new central midfielder 

Attacking Midfielders:

1 new number 10

Wingers:

Alan Forrest 

Barrie McKay

Yutaro Oda 

1 new left footed winger 

Strikers:

Lawrence Shankland 

Kenneth Vargas 

1 new striker 

Our wingers aren't good enough. Forrest lacks the desired level of quality, Oda is clearly an impact sub and McKay disappears in big games. 

Need someone like Danny Armstrong or Luke McCowan IMO. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )