Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I'm coming round to that view too. 

He's pretty much irreplaceable unless we gamble huge money on someone (who might not contribute the same number of goals as Shanks) so if he doesn't sign a new contract in the summer  we'd be as well to just get that final year from him.   It would give our recruitment team longer to monitor possible striker targets who are just starting to blossom this season.

Robbie signed Shanks at the perfect time - proved he could score well in the Championship with Dundee Utd, followed by a poor time in Belgium which kept his price within our range.

Its a good point. To me it would come down to factors, have we secured group stage football for next season and what would we get for selling him in the summer. If we get group stage football then we wont have worries over money. So it becomes the next step, how much could we get for Shankland. To me if its only a couple of million, I would rather keep him for another year and risk letting him go for nothing. If its £5m plus then I would consider letting him go as though he is a loss, I do think it gives plenty to work with. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its a good point. To me it would come down to factors, have we secured group stage football for next season and what would we get for selling him in the summer. If we get group stage football then we wont have worries over money. So it becomes the next step, how much could we get for Shankland. To me if its only a couple of million, I would rather keep him for another year and risk letting him go for nothing. If its £5m plus then I would consider letting him go as though he is a loss, I do think it gives plenty to work with. 

Completely agree. If the price is only a couple of million we keep him. The difference his goals may make could easily wipe out or get very close to those sort of numbers. 

johnking123

Well, hopefully we do play the group stages and bring that cash in. Get more more money from sponsorship as was hinted in AGM. Also said that we are going to put all our cash into playing side in AGM as well. Should really be in for a bumper transfer window if that is the case.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

I am heartened by the fact that, unlike the orange mob, we do our best to not unsettle players at their current club even if we have them on precontracts.

pettigrewsstylist

Does Dhanda play Sat?????

Tough question for all.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Scott Leitch
20 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Does Dhanda play Sat?????

Tough question for all.

Why?

db211833

If Shanks himself wants to move we will sell him, it's really that simple.

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, db211833 said:

If he still doesn't sign after our best offer in the summer, its because he wants to move.  But its up to Hearts whether we invite offers in July/Aug 2024 ....... or keep him playing till January 2025 and seek a buyer where we could negotiate a sell-on clause .... or just keep him for the whole season with zero transfer value.   

Hearts have to weigh up the pros & cons at each of the next 2  windows  of selling or retaining.  It's really that simple.

db211833
21 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

If he still doesn't sign after our best offer in the summer, its because he wants to move.  But its up to Hearts whether we invite offers in July/Aug 2024 ....... or keep him playing till January 2025 and seek a buyer where we could negotiate a sell-on clause .... or just keep him for the whole season with zero transfer value.   

Hearts have to weigh up the pros & cons at each of the next 2  windows  of selling or retaining.  It's really that simple.

No we don't, if he decides he wants to leave we will sell him. You don't keep a player who tells you they want to leave. You work out the best deal for both parties. If he is happy to stay an play for the last year of his contract then great. If he actively decides he wants to leave then that is what will happen.

Edited by db211833

Lone Striker
Just now, db211833 said:

No we don't, if he decides he wants to leave we will sell him. You don't keep a player who tells you they want to leave. You work out the best deal for both parties. If he is happy to stay an olay for the last year of his contract then great. If he actively decides he wants to leave ten that is what will happen.

Yes, that could happen if Shanks throws a strop.  But  I very much doubt he'd do that after the Euros  experience - its in his interest to keep playing well for Hearts so as to get as many big clubs as possible lining up to make him an offer.  He's a level headed calm guy who won't want to earn a reputation for being unprofessional.   

I don't buy the weegia narrative that he's dead set on joining Rangers.   He's got the talent to play at a higher level than them - hopefully he realises it.

db211833
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, that could happen if Shanks throws a strop.  But  I very much doubt he'd do that after the Euros  experience - its in his interest to keep playing well for Hearts so as to get as many big clubs as possible lining up to make him an offer.  He's a level headed calm guy who won't want to earn a reputation for being unprofessional.   

I don't buy the weegia narrative that he's dead set on joining Rangers.   He's got the talent to play at a higher level than them - hopefully he realises it.

He seems happy and I would love him to stay. Hopefully that's what happens, would happily see him leave for free at the end of his contract.  But... he has one big contract left in his career, I think that might just work against us. Fingers crossed, but I wouldn't even be angry at him if he pushes for a move. He has been amazing for us but so have we been for him.

Lone Striker
18 minutes ago, db211833 said:

He seems happy and I would love him to stay. Hopefully that's what happens, would happily see him leave for free at the end of his contract.  But... he has one big contract left in his career, I think that might just work against us. Fingers crossed, but I wouldn't even be angry at him if he pushes for a move. He has been amazing for us but so have we been for him.

👍  I'm sure Hearts will push the boat out as far as they can in the summer in a final attempt to get him to stay longer - maybe with the help of some  sponsorship arrangement from one of Mr Anderson's financial contacts.    Its all we can do.   As you say, we've been very good for his career so far and I think he knows that.

db211833
10 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

👍  I'm sure Hearts will push the boat out as far as they can in the summer in a final attempt to get him to stay longer - maybe with the help of some  sponsorship arrangement from one of Mr Anderson's financial contacts.    Its all we can do.   As you say, we've been very good for his career so far and I think he knows that.

When he scores he looks delighted and properly connected with the fans. But to coin the cliche, it's a short career and if he is offered big money I wouldn't criticise him for moving.

Would Devante Cole be a good shout? He's scored 17 for Barnsley in League 1 this season and I think he might be out of contract.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, db211833 said:

If Shanks himself wants a move and the best offer we get is £800k, we won't sell him.

From his interviews, Shankland himself very clearly understands this. His other option is to not sign an extension, play one more season, then sign where he pleases.

KyleLafferty

I just hope Hearts have already got a list of strikers to replace him.

ShedBoy
1 hour ago, db211833 said:

A wee birdie tells me it’s his mi££u£ that wants the move more 👀

Forrest

If Shankland is to be sold, we need to be properly recompensed. £4m is not a good deal for us. 

We need to ask for the value of 10 Europa League group games, league winning prize money, plus 2025/26 season's Champions League money! 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, TommyC said:

Would Devante Cole be a good shout? He's scored 17 for Barnsley in League 1 this season and I think he might be out of contract.

He would, aye 👍🏻

jr ewing
1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

A wee birdie tells me it’s his mi££u£ that wants the move more 👀

All about the 💰 🤑 💸 💲 

Bongo 1874
16 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Why would we want to sell Rowles? Our defence is generally decent apart from when we play the Huns. I think he's still got 3 or 4 years of contract left as well. Not sure anyone would pay what we'd want for him. 

It seems clear that there's something going on with Cochrane so I reckon he might leave. Not heard anything about Penrice in a while.

It'll be extremely interesting to see what happens with Shankland. I don't see the Huns paying what we'd want and there hasn't been much if any concrete interest from elsewhere. I'd be sad to see him go but if we get a good offer then I understand why he'd want to go and we'd let him.

I think Rowles, will have a few clubs like Cochrane looking at him.

So i try and think ahead similar model, of Brentford& Brighton.

It can work in our league.

Pushing player sales,and bringing in smart signings.

If Rowles was to go.

Do we really worry about a quick replacement for him with ?

Sibbick.

Halkett. 

Kent.

Kingsley.

Plus Neilson coming back from loan.

Perfect time to sell in summer if there is interest.

But if you wanted a direct replacement.

Findlay.

Mayo.

From our league right away.

Cost money.

Or.

Kipre very unlikely but keep an eye on west brom prem push, available on pre contracts as stands.

Or a natural left footed replacement in Cooper who has been told he's free to leave.

Pre contract.

Wages may be an issue.

tiger Rudi

Úlfur Ágúst Björnsson

Now there's a name. Doubt he's been name-checked on here yet, but worth a look. 😅

Only 20, playing in Iceland and scores goals. Centre Forward. 

Not much video evidence out there but there are a few. Been playing college soccer in America. 

Looks decent, admittedly at a low level but has potential, could be a bargain. 

Just thinking about the Euros.  Assuming he’s there, may not want to sort a move out before then (shop window). Would then put bigger time pressures on us lining up replacements (but not signing them as he might stay). 
Not ideal. 

Bongo 1874
27 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Úlfur Ágúst Björnsson

Now there's a name. Doubt he's been name-checked on here yet, but worth a look. 😅

Only 20, playing in Iceland and scores goals. Centre Forward. 

Not much video evidence out there but there are a few. Been playing college soccer in America. 

Looks decent, admittedly at a low level but has potential, could be a bargain. 

I Like him and if not fully ready? Could he play in b team or even loaned out? to further his development.

tiger Rudi
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

I Like him and if not fully ready? Could he play in b team or even loaned out? to further his development.

He's 6'3 and can score with head and foot. Looks a prospect. The goal when he flicks the long range effort is quite instinctive. Cheap as well 👍

SM Sheffield
20 hours ago, Weonly151 said:

I mentioned Cole earlier I the thread. He's banging them in for Barnsley and what I can remember of him he was fairly fast. I wouldn't want him as a replacement for Shanks I'd want him along with Shanks and Vargas. I'm with the previous poster, I'd rather keep Shankland next season and lose him for nothing because no matter how much money we get, we aren't replacing him. Who knows what will happen after next season, he'll be nearly 30 and circumstances may change. 

Yeah I agree. The ideal is that we keep Shankland for next season and Cole could be the Simms or Humphrys type that we have been missing. There will

be a number of clubs looking at Devante Cole I would imagine but he is a good player 

13 hours ago, TommyC said:

Yep.

Jordan Williams another Barnsley player we should be looking at. Proper right back, captain, good age. Out of contract in the summer as well.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Dont see any point in selling Shankland, unless we get offered ridiculous cash, the 5 million means nothing if we have group football and want it again. 

Sylla at Dundee was reasonably impressive against Sheep last night. Beni is going to go, he is also going to be hard to replace, that is our first problem this summer

heartmussel
15 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Dont see any point in selling Shankland, unless we get offered ridiculous cash, the 5 million means nothing if we have group football and want it again. 

Sylla at Dundee was reasonably impressive against Sheep last night. Beni is going to go, he is also going to be hard to replace, that is our first problem this summer

Sylla definitely looked impressive last night, sure he came from English lower leagues , Hartlepool rings a bell.

RustyRightPeg
18 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

There are other players available. As much as I love Shankland, we need to improve our player trading model. Even Spurs sold Kane...they've now improved the overall squad as a result with the money.

I don't want to lose him...but there needs to be a point where we think if he doesn't go, is he going to be as motivated next year with no Euro's at the end of the season as a personal target for himself, probably not. I'm resigned to losing him, but excited about what we do with the money.

johnking123
31 minutes ago, Pingu said:

Yep.

Jordan Williams another Barnsley player we should be looking at. Proper right back, captain, good age. Out of contract in the summer as well.

Agree with this one.

His name's been brought up a few times and I'm not sure if Allan Campbell is within our budget but he'd be a great replacement for Beni if he were to leave. I'd push the boat out for him if a deal was possible and the same for Danny Armstrong. Pay the fee Killie want for him, they'll accept anything between 500k - £1M for him I reckon and he'd be worth it. Big game player and the best winger in the league IMO. 

The Fat Number 8

Danny Armstong and Luke McCowan

No risk signings who instantly improve us and i think both go into there final years contract next season. No chance there resigning with killie and dundee.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://jobsinfootball.com/blog/liam-henshaw-interview/

Interview with the Recruitment data analyst/scout at Hearts Liam Henshaw. Only a few questions about being at Hearts but for those interested in how our recruitment team work there is some interesting things.

It was interesting, suspect Liam will move on, would be good to keep him onside though, seems like a man with good plans, could provide good future contacts if we maintain a relationship with him.

On 13/03/2024 at 20:16, db211833 said:

No we don't, if he decides he wants to leave we will sell him. You don't keep a player who tells you they want to leave. You work out the best deal for both parties. If he is happy to stay an play for the last year of his contract then great. If he actively decides he wants to leave then that is what will happen.

In a nutshell.

Imho I think he's made up his mind he's moving on.

Can't blame him  chasing the cash at this stage in his career.

johnking123

Andy Rojas 18 from Vargas old team is definitely worth a look. Talking big things from him in Costa Rica.

davemclaren
6 hours ago, bairdy said:

In a nutshell.

Imho I think he's made up his mind he's moving on.

Can't blame him  chasing the cash at this stage in his career.

Plus all the coments on here late last year about how useless he was. 😄

Bongo 1874

Not watched a massive amount of him,but been impressed with Matty Todd tonight.

johnking123

When it comes to midfield. If lose Beni, we need someone that wee bit special. Someone that can come in like Kent, not starting or finishing career. Have to give it same attention as if we lose shankland. Spine of team is so important.

Dennis Law

Bit of a clear out required beforehand to allow for some quality signings.

Halkett

Sibbick

Atkinson

Devlin

Grant

Tagawa

Boyce

They are either burst or not good enough to take us forward 

That should free up some dosh to get 3/4 quality signings in at

RWB

CD

CM

F

Lets hope we get someone other than Lily Savage identifying signings.

Nelly Terraces
2 minutes ago, Dennis Law said:

Halkett

Sibbick

Atkinson

Devlin

Grant

Tagawa

Boyce

RWB

CD

CM

F

Spot on. Need that lot of landfill offloaded & quality brought in. 

mellors1874

After watching that garbage today we need to empty the following.

Atkinson, rowles, sibbick, denholm, grant along with Boyce and haring.

Halkett and McKay need to either get fit or get out.

We need two right backs two centre Half's that actually can win a header or a 50/50 alongside Kent and at least 3 midfielders as see Beni not staying either and another striker of the mould of Simms big unit.

Almost feels like another massive overhawl which is frustrating.

If we don’t (or at least attempt to) sign Danny Armstrong this summer then I don’t know what to say. Well within our reach and would improve us significantly.

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 minutes ago, Chimp said:

If we don’t (or at least attempt to) sign Danny Armstrong this summer then I don’t know what to say. Well within our reach and would improve us significantly.

Any idea how much he would cost?

19 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

reportedly a 6 figure sum around the 700k mark. Would happily pay £1m for him though

Uncle Buck
1 hour ago, Dennis Law said:

Halkett

Sibbick

Atkinson

Devlin

Grant

Tagawa

Boyce

RWB

CD

CM

F

Halkett has just signed a new contract.

26 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

I think Killie were quoted as wanting around £600k in January. 

With only a year left on his deal, might be worth coming in at £400k-500k and seeing what Killie say. 

Something thats clear is that Forrest is a highly limited player and we cannot go into next season with him in the starting 11 (if everyone is fit). His decision making in the final 3rd is criminal, and as much as his workrate is brilliant, we rarely carve teams open and its because there isn't the quality either side of Shankland to create the openings we should be. 

We need players to be improving our starting 11, and Armstrong would do that, and I think Luke McCowan from Dundee would also be a solid signing. 

I don't want to see us scouting players from ****ing Machu Picchu or some random village in the shadow of Mount Fuji. Lets get in guys that are proven in this league that can improve us now. Our style of play needs a huge injection of quality to work effectively. We're not anywhere near as good a team as we think we are. Excellent striker and excellent defender. Everything in between has varying degrees of limitations.

If we could get a Djoum type midfielder too, that would be excellent. 

Some players to look at IMO

Free transfers

Ryan Strain (Replaces Atkinson)

Connor Barron (Competition in the middle of the park)

James Penrice (Allows us to sell Cochrane if we want)

Liam Gordon (Replaces Sibbick)

Keanu Baccus (Replaces Beni if he leaves)

Jeando Fuchs (Alt replaces Beni if he leaves)

Jason Kerr

OOC 2025

Danny Armstrong - c£500-750k?

Luke McCowan - c£400k?

Josh Mulligan -c£350k? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )