Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

gar jambo
On 19/03/2024 at 23:06, Luckies1874 said:

Budge:

"What I'm looking forward to in a way is next year when there is no big infrastructure project on the horizon. All of the money that comes in will continue to be spent because we're not a bank and we're not looking to build up a war chest or whatever. We will be spending on the players to
make us stronger, I hope."

Let’s get the dead wood out first and identify who could replace shanks possibly 3 in mind about 2 in midfield and 1 or 2 at the back say 6 players ! 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

Bongo 1874
22 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I know I keep slating folk for bringing him up, but I wonder if Jimmy Dunne might be one worth looking at this year now that his contract is running out and that QPR are looking like relegation candidated. He's apparently on just under £8k pw. We'd probably only be able to offer about half that but it just all depends what offers he has on the table at the end of the day.

Smart move.

Kipre or Cooper.

Wonder if we could afford them though.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Batistuta87

Just seen that Peter Christiansen suggested below has been snapped up by Viking FC in the Norwegian league. Looks a cracking player and would have been class if we'd found him first! Still like the look of and the idea of signing Schuler. He's on 5 goals and 2 assists in 22 games in 2.Bundesliga which isn't great but its a tough league and think he has a lot of attributes including being an absolute unit, that would serve him well in Scotland. Hogan would still be a good signing IMO and would give us some pace and experience up top. 

Posted February 20 

Quite like the look of this guy.

Peter Christiansen (SjonderjyskE) 

Currently 24 and playing in the Danish 2nd tier with 16 goals in 18 appearances. Has a decent record over his youth career too and got on the scoresheet a few times for the side relegated from the Danish top flight. His team look like no mugs and he is banging them in. Really think he could have some useful potential.

Contract runs out at the end of the season, earning an estimated £800pw. Genuinely makes me think of Shankland, or a younger Boyce.

Also like the look of Luca Schuler currently playing in 2.Bundesliga for Magdeburg.

Can't find a decent video on him. Reminds me of a sort of Andy Carroll type player who is big and strong but still agile and quick. 

He's also 24, contract up at the end of the season, estimated earning £3k pw. 

Scott Hogan at Birmigham might be a shout too. He'll be earning a bit more than these two but just depends what offers he's got on the table at the end of the season. He's a bit older too at 31, but with his pace and agility will have a couple of years in him yet. Reminds me of Connor Washington if he could finish. 

27 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I know I keep slating folk for bringing him up, but I wonder if Jimmy Dunne might be one worth looking at this year now that his contract is running out and that QPR are looking like relegation candidated. He's apparently on just under £8k pw. We'd probably only be able to offer about half that but it just all depends what offers he has on the table at the end of the day.

I don't think there's any harm in bringing up a player who was brilliant for us and completely got what it meant to play for the club. It's not like he's completely out of reach wage wise. Obviously we wouldn't be able to match some other clubs wage offers down south but it all depends how high his stock would be playing for a club at the bottom end of the Championship. The fact he loved his time here could help sway him. He'd be a fantastic signing and a pairing of him and Kent would be unbelievable. 

Never Let Them Forget

Don’t know if already posted but listening to yesterdays PLZ podcast with Peter Martin & Hugh McDonald and one of them mentioned that they heard that Hearts have signed Blair Spittal. If that’s the case that would be another excellent signing along with Dhanda and also another nice technical player that plays forward. 

hmfc_steve
10 minutes ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Don’t know if already posted but listening to yesterdays PLZ podcast with Peter Martin & Hugh McDonald and one of them mentioned that they heard that Hearts have signed Blair Spittal. If that’s the case that would be another excellent signing along with Dhanda and also another nice technical player that plays forward. 

if true, thst would be a great move for Hearts

Batistuta87
30 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I don't think there's any harm in bringing up a player who was brilliant for us and completely got what it meant to play for the club. It's not like he's completely out of reach wage wise. Obviously we wouldn't be able to match some other clubs wage offers down south but it all depends how high his stock would be playing for a club at the bottom end of the Championship. The fact he loved his time here could help sway him. He'd be a fantastic signing and a pairing of him and Kent would be unbelievable. 

Nah - it was total pie in the sky stuff the last couple of seasons though considering he was doing quite well at QPR and in contract. People were wanting him back on loan and stuff like that when he was actually getting his game and doing well. So that's what I was slating. 

Now though - I don't think he's entirely unrealistic and is someone we should be taking a good look at IMO. Like you say he would be unreal alongside Kent. 

Valois No1

Bring in Jimmy Dunne and Alan Campbell and we could have some team on our hands. I don’t think it would entirely break the bank either. 

Batistuta87
Just now, Valois No1 said:

Bring in Jimmy Dunne and Alan Campbell and we could have some team on our hands. I don’t think it would entirely break the bank either. 

Adding those two and keeping Shankland and Beni would be absolutely unreal. We would skoosh third again next year.

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nah - it was total pie in the sky stuff the last couple of seasons though considering he was doing quite well at QPR and in contract. People were wanting him back on loan and stuff like that when he was actually getting his game and doing well. So that's what I was slating. 

Now though - I don't think he's entirely unrealistic and is someone we should be taking a good look at IMO. Like you say he would be unreal alongside Kent. 

Yeah agree, there was no chance of it previously.

1 minute ago, Valois No1 said:

I'd push the boat out for both. Wishful thinking but not completely unrealistic

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Now though - I don't think he's entirely unrealistic and is someone we should be taking a good look at IMO. Like you say he would be unreal alongside Kent

That gives me tingles in my loins thinking about that pairing.

Bazzas right boot
46 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Just seen that Peter Christiansen suggested below has been snapped up by Viking FC in the Norwegian league. Looks a cracking player and would have been class if we'd found him first! Still like the look of and the idea of signing Schuler. He's on 5 goals and 2 assists in 22 games in 2.Bundesliga which isn't great but its a tough league and think he has a lot of attributes including being an absolute unit, that would serve him well in Scotland. Hogan would still be a good signing IMO and would give us some pace and experience up top. 

Posted February 20 

Quite like the look of this guy.

Peter Christiansen (SjonderjyskE) 

Currently 24 and playing in the Danish 2nd tier with 16 goals in 18 appearances. Has a decent record over his youth career too and got on the scoresheet a few times for the side relegated from the Danish top flight. His team look like no mugs and he is banging them in. Really think he could have some useful potential.

Contract runs out at the end of the season, earning an estimated £800pw. Genuinely makes me think of Shankland, or a younger Boyce.

Also like the look of Luca Schuler currently playing in 2.Bundesliga for Magdeburg.

Can't find a decent video on him. Reminds me of a sort of Andy Carroll type player who is big and strong but still agile and quick. 

He's also 24, contract up at the end of the season, estimated earning £3k pw. 

Scott Hogan at Birmigham might be a shout too. He'll be earning a bit more than these two but just depends what offers he's got on the table at the end of the season. He's a bit older too at 31, but with his pace and agility will have a couple of years in him yet. Reminds me of Connor Washington if he could finish. 

I like a Batistuta87 player post, so I do!

25 minutes ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

I'd be happy with him. I know a lot of folk on here are sceptical about him, but reckon he could be really good. We badly need creative players and he's provided goals and assists for a mediocre motherwell side. 

kingantti1874

Not a fan of spittal. Hes 29 I think and has bounced around a succession of smaller clubs becuase he’s inconsistent. 

at best a squad filler for me.  

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not a fan of spittal. Hes 29 I think and has bounced around a succession of smaller clubs becuase he’s inconsistent. 

A bit like Paul Hartley then. 

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

A bit like Paul Hartley then. 

Not at all really. Will be more like Danny Swanson 

Batistuta87
22 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I like a Batistuta87 player post, so I do!

I'm sure there'll be more mate haha 😆✌️

Batistuta87
18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Same. Would he be a massive improvement on, say, Halliday or Haring? I don't think so. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Same. Would he be a massive improvement on, say, Halliday or Haring? I don't think so. 

no not a chance.  

I think a few on here get moist when they see a step over on sportscene.  If he was 24 and had room to improve fair enough.  

but he’s massively  inconsistent, always has been and will soon be 30+ 

johnking123
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

no not a chance.  

I think a few on here get moist when they see a step over on sportscene.  If he was 24 and had room to improve fair enough.  

but he’s massively  inconsistent, always has been and will soon be 30+ 

Yip. Dhanda takes up that position.  Any player would have to far far better player.

Chuck Berry
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Maybe not massive, but he's an improvement on Halliday and sadly, Haring of the last couple of years.

He's 28 so probably in his prime, is a good Premiership standard player who gets forward and creates/scores, and available on a free and not big wages.  Given we are hopefully going to be faced with a heavy schedule first half of the season, I'd say a decent signing to bulk up the squad a bit.  That's not to say we don't also need a bit of quality in that position as well, particularly if Beni and Grant go.

Hof, Devlin, McKay, Spittal, Dhanda, Denholm, Tait, Pollock plus AN other with a bit of quality.

Valois No1
42 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Adding those two and keeping Shankland and Beni would be absolutely unreal. We would skoosh third again next year.

Agreed and also give the uglies a fright 

Bongo 1874

Spittal good signing knows the league.

Going on stats alone you sign him,7 goals 9 assists.

Would love for us to take a chance on Lars Gindorf,loan him out if necessary.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Batistuta87
Just now, Chuck Berry said:

Maybe not massive, but he's an improvement on Halliday and sadly, Haring of the last couple of years.

He's 28 so probably in his prime, is a good Premiership standard player who gets forward and creates/scores, and available on a free and not big wages.  Given we are hopefully going to be faced with a heavy schedule first half of the season, I'd say a decent signing to bulk up the squad a bit.  That's not to say we don't also need a bit of quality in that position as well, particularly if Beni and Grant go.

Hof, Devlin, McKay, Spittal, Dhanda, Denholm, Tait, Pollock plus AN other with a bit of quality.

Exactly this. Pollock has been unlucky with injuries this year so will need some game time. Would like to see him maybe loaned out to the Championship and Denholm and Tait getting some chances. Tait in particular has been excellent. Denholm is a PHM and was the one who left hooked someone in the pre-season friendly too so I like his attitude 🤣

Will be great to get Dhanda in but I'd love an Aguiar / Pallardo type to sit a bit deeper and just act as a bit of a playmaker; pinging passes around but also doing some spade work. 

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

If there is a truth in it, then I can see the thinking you say. 

I think we will take a couple more players more as a squad than before as the first half of the season will be punishing. So if we have a few players who know the league and done well who will step up, mixed with some younger players then it means our best players wont be playing every time. I do wonder if he is also a replacement for Boyce (I know Boyce has one more year on his contract but I do wonder when he will ever be fit again.)

I would also say the comparison with Halliday and Haring is a moot one as they dont play in the same roles on the whole (Spittal has had some games at CM this season but he is mainly in an attacking role, with nearly all his goals and assists this season coming from that role.)

I do also think there is logic in snapping out proven Premiership players from lower teams, where the wages should not be as much, then spend the rest on top level signings in key roles.

I am more towards Spittal could be a wise signing, but will have to see more. I am most intrigued by how we are approaching this window with what players we are targeting, and if the rumours are true we have already signed up Dhanda and Spittal (and possibly Penrice as well) then I hope that shows a well crafted plan for the squad next season.

Chuck Berry
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Exactly this. Pollock has been unlucky with injuries this year so will need some game time. Would like to see him maybe loaned out to the Championship and Denholm and Tait getting some chances. Tait in particular has been excellent. Denholm is a PHM and was the one who left hooked someone in the pre-season friendly too so I like his attitude 🤣

Will be great to get Dhanda in but I'd love an Aguiar / Pallardo type to sit a bit deeper and just act as a bit of a playmaker; pinging passes around but also doing some spade work. 

If the Spittal rumour is true (and there's a good chance it's pish), we do need to follow it with quality x 1 or 2.  The point of Spittal is that he is zero cost, experienced in this league and will do us a turn.  However we also need a player in the midfield that - along with Hof and Dhanda - has that bit of quality and can push us on.

An Aguiar II would be great. 

Pollock out on loan to the Championship makes sense if we get the signings we want.  He needs game time, he needs to prove his fitness, and he's not going to be a first pick next season although I think he has a lot of potential.  Tait you clearly keep as he will contribute, and Denholm is another good squad player to have around.

FionaHmfc

One of my friends is a St Mirren fan and they told me weeks ago Spittal was meant to have signed a pre contract with them. Would love that to be wrong though. Would absolutely take him at hearts 

kingantti1874
Just now, FionaHmfc said:

One of my friends is a St Mirren fan and they told me weeks ago Spittal was meant to have signed a pre contract with them. Would love that to be wrong though. Would absolutely take him at hearts 

stmirren more his level. 

Batistuta87
9 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

If the Spittal rumour is true (and there's a good chance it's pish), we do need to follow it with quality x 1 or 2.  The point of Spittal is that he is zero cost, experienced in this league and will do us a turn.  However we also need a player in the midfield that - along with Hof and Dhanda - has that bit of quality and can push us on.

An Aguiar II would be great. 

Pollock out on loan to the Championship makes sense if we get the signings we want.  He needs game time, he needs to prove his fitness, and he's not going to be a first pick next season although I think he has a lot of potential.  Tait you clearly keep as he will contribute, and Denholm is another good squad player to have around.

He's one of those yeah and "could do a job" (as backup). I suppose if Haring, Halliday and Fraser are all away then he would be an OK replacement for them. We'd still need some first team quality though like you say. 

FionaHmfc
7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

stmirren more his level. 

I don’t think he’d be a starter for us but looking at our back up midfield options we have had this year in Denholm, Halliday and Haring - he’s better than all of them and would be an improvement. Especially on a free transfer. 

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

stmirren more his level. 

and probably more appealing to him as he'd play every week there but most likely be a squad player that plays against bottom 6 sides the weekend after a european game for us

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

He's one of those yeah and "could do a job" (as backup). I suppose if Haring, Halliday and Fraser are all away then he would be an OK replacement for them. We'd still need some first team quality though like you say. 

As I always say we need to transition to quality over quantity when it comes to transfer windows.  We're not there yet but we should be aiming to make signings in the summer of the quality that don't end up need a sticking plaster loan in January (unless through injury).  The B team and one or two good freebies should help with squad numbers to supplement 2 or 3 quality signings.

Tait, Denholm, Pollock, Neilson - B team products already there

Dhanda, Spittal - Good freebies/low cost signings, maybe one more?

2 or 3  - Quality

Released: Stewart, Haring, Halliday, Fraser

Sell: Grant, Sibbick

Sell if decent fee: Cochrane

Out of Contract: Beni

That's the summer window for me with fingers crossed on Shanks.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

You might be right, although QPR have an option to extend - although he'll also be facing a relegation clause I would think? 

Makes me wonder what part is correct, I don't think it would be fair to extend a contract on a player whilst simultaneously also dropping his wages due to a contract clause. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

and probably more appealing to him as he'd play every week there but most likely be a squad player that plays against bottom 6 sides the weekend after a european game for us

yup. I want to sign guaranteed starters.  Not more squad fillers .  

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

yup. I want to sign guaranteed starters.  Not more squad fillers .  

Exactly, our strategy should be to sign players that make today's starters tomorrows squad players

Signing a centre half to partner kent needs to be good enough to makes Rowles a squad player

Signing a Rb has to be good enough to make Atkinson sit on the bench

A CM has to start ahead of Beni/Devlin/Hoff

etc etc

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Exactly, our strategy should be to sign players that make today's starters tomorrows squad players

Signing a centre half to partner kent needs to be good enough to makes Rowles a squad player

Signing a Rb has to be good enough to make Atkinson sit on the bench

A CM has to start ahead of Beni/Devlin/Hoff

etc etc

Agree with the sentiment entirely. We should be targeting 2/3/4 players who improve our starting side, especially in midfield and attack. Rowles isn't someone the club see as a squad player though and I'd be very surprised if they believe we need to improve on him specifically. He is a key figure in proving they have a recruitment system in place that at some point can turn over a player or two and make significant profit, thus the contract they gave him. So when suitors come calling he will have 2+ seasons under contract. He won't be getting dropped any time soon as they want to make money out of him. 

SomethingAboutObua
11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I would say our signing policy is the opposite of this, otherwise what's the point of signing Rowles for money if the ultimate goal is to demote him and marginally increase or even reduce his value? We're not Abroath where we expect to lose half the squad every other year and need a lower league signing plan. 

The club isn't aiming to make it's own players redundant, that just leads to disharmony and no sell on potential, the aim is to compliment existing high value players with players that can either become high value themselves, eg signing Sibbick (looking unlikely now he'll become high value), or a player who won't reach high value themselves but can support the sold on players replacements, eg Forrest 

Rick Sanchez

28 years old.

29 league appearances. 7 goals. 9 assists. In a struggling team.

If Naismith wants him for the old Sunday/Thursday schedule I'm happy with that.

Somebody for the set pieces when Dhanda isn't playing as well.

Ricardo Quaresma

We're going to need 2 tiers of player type; players for starting in Europe and players in the League who can get their foot in the door in European games, but ready for the League

Spittal just turned 28 in December, so probably could get a decent contract out of him; pretty determined and I think that would increase at our Club

Reckon we'll need a squad of 28 players to cope

Ricardo Quaresma
7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

28 years old.

29 league appearances. 7 goals. 9 assists. In a struggling team.

If Naismith wants him for the old Sunday/Thursday schedule I'm happy with that.

Somebody for the set pieces when Dhanda isn't playing as well.

Agree; takes a decent free kick

Spittal would be a good fit for the team.   I can envisage a rotation between  Hof, Dhanda or both.   He can play across the attack  midfield positions, so could play along side them both. .   Good experience and in form. 

I'm sure I've commented or have recollection him being an interesting player to sign.   

See what happens I guess. 

Edited by HMFC01

stevie1874
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

A bit like the boy Ohara at St Mirren looked great but has since went off the boil. I do though wonder if these two players would flourish in a better team ? 

weegie jambo
15 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Spittal would be a good fit for the team.   I can envisage a rotation between  Hof, Dhanda or both.   He can across the attack  midfield positions, so could play along side them both. .   Good experience and in form. 

I'm sure I've commented or have recollection him being an interesting player to sign.   

See what happens I guess. 

any time I've seen him he looks the part. It's a no brainer for me if he's available on a free.

Peter Martin has decent knowledge of Hearts. Speaks highly of the club and really enjoyed living in Edinburgh previously. Also close to Tam Cowan. Decent chance that his / Hugh McDonald knowledge on Spittal could be on the money. 

RustyRightPeg

If nothing else Spittal always seems to turn into prime f*****g Kaka against us and either scores or assists. Sign him purely to stop that.

kingantti1874

Given the clubs reluctance to announce Dhanda, I  do get the feeling we may already have secured one or 2 more on pre contracts already. 

No inside information but would t be surprised to see us confirm a couple.  Prentice is one we are defo after and I know for a fact we tried for Ryan Strain last season.

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )