• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Clark Griswold

• Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I am worried about our central midfield.

I am not convinced about Niewinhof who always seems to be on the back foot. Denholm has been subbed at half time last two games. Beni and Devlin injured. Cochrane can’t take the ball on the half turn so kills attacking momentum. Haring is out of favour after poor performance.

Hopefully Beni & Grant will be back. Gives us the experience in CM we need. 

Diadora Van Basten
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Hopefully Beni & Grant will be back. Gives us the experience in CM we need. 

I don’t really see Grant as a CM I think he’s much better as a CAM.

6 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I don’t really see Grant as a CM I think he’s much better as a CAM.

Just more as we seem to be playing a sort of 532 at the moment. Grant would replace whatever Lowry was doing yesterday.

They are terrible but any top division side is capable of occasionally eliminating the individual errors that they make and be competitive.  If they do then this will be much more difficult than some will imagine.  We might need to rely on how they perform rather than our own performance as it could be an attritional wasteland of a match.

2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I am worried about our central midfield.

I am not convinced about Niewinhof who always seems to be on the back foot. Denholm has been subbed at half time last two games. Beni and Devlin injured. Cochrane can’t take the ball on the half turn so kills attacking momentum. Haring is out of favour after poor performance.

Aiden got kicked out the Derby. Wasn’t subbed due to performance.

Would expect Beni back next game. Would imagine it was just being sore after being a one man midfield v the Hobbits having only come back relatively recently. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

That’s unfair. He’s been very effective this season. 

He definitely earned the start after his performance off the bench. 

One good thing possibly is that it’s away from home. That’s maybe a plus as our home form is not great.

whats wrong with Devlin ? We miss him in the middle.  

22 minutes ago, CMc said:

Aiden got kicked out the Derby. Wasn’t subbed due to performance.

Would expect Beni back next game. Would imagine it was just being sore after being a one man midfield v the Hobbits having only come back relatively recently. 

It was a tactical change at ht at ER according to Naismith. Went to a back four. 

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This has nightmare written all over it. Struggling team that can't buy a win, shite surface, intense run of games, a team that'll park the bus, what could wrong?

Here comes the Gorgie gift shop. "Two fir a pound" 🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

One good thing possibly is that it’s away from home. That’s maybe a plus as our home form is not great.

whats wrong with Devlin ? We miss him in the middle.  

got injured at Killie game

Corstorphine Jambo

Tait not being quoted by anyone. If we want to avoid square pegs for round holes, this could be his opportunity in the middle. Low centre of gravity should also help on that abomination of a pitch.

Ex member of the SaS

We need to end the problem of gifting a struggling team free goals. Get stuck in, forget the holiday break and think only of winning. A good player has a winning mentality and should be able to put aside thoughts of going on a break.

Win this and our game in hand and we can be 8 points clear in third. That's all the motivation the players should need. get third and have Europe to think about.

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Clark

Kent Halkett Kingsley 

Forrest Denholm Beni Cochrane

Oda.       Vargas

Shankland

That's the team for me, 

4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Anyone able to ID our players who cant play on Livi surface? Hands up, have not paid attention.

Most of them, given past performances 🥸

3 hours ago, jamboj said:

Livi look done. To exploit that we need to start fast, get at them in their third of the pitch and ideally get an early goal. Don't let them in the game and don't let them get a sniff of confidence. Professional, disciplined and attacking. 

Hearts always struggle against teams like Livi away. They are fighting for their lives and Martindale probably for his job so they will be a very hard team to beat especially on that pitch of theirs.

It's one of those games that we should win comfortably on paper but we all saw what happened yesterday.

Livi have'nt won in a while and we all know how that usually works out against Hearts.

19 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It was a tactical change at ht at ER according to Naismith. Went to a back four. 

I think Naismith was protecting him with that comment - he was immense against Celtic but struggled in the derby.

Martindale was having a right go at his players in the post match interview yesterday. Hopefully that'll demoralise them even more and we can pile on the misery

Edited by Hansel

pettigrewsstylist
Just now, Hansel said:

Martindale was having a right go at his players in the post match interview yesterday. Hopefully that'll demoralise them even more and we can pile on the misery

Big jambo crowd round whole pitch wont help if yesterdays 1st half circus turns up. 

Clark

Sibbick Kent Halkett  Kingsley

Haring

Oda   Grant  Cochrane

Shanks  Vargas

There will be lots of high balls so Haring will be useful.  I would rather not play Halkett on this pitch but he probably won't need to be as mobile as usual. Vargas and Oda looked pretty good yesterday. If Grant isn't available it will need to be Denholm. 

20 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I think Naismith was protecting him with that comment - he was immense against Celtic but struggled in the derby.

Thought did cross my mind but we did make a tactical change at ht on Wed.  Denholm had been poor first half and again yesterday. I have still to see anything in the lad other than enthusiasm 

12 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Clark

Sibbick Kent Halkett  Kingsley

Haring

Oda   Grant  Cochrane

Shanks  Vargas

There will be lots of high balls so Haring will be useful.  I would rather not play Halkett on this pitch but he probably won't need to be as mobile as usual. Vargas and Oda looked pretty good yesterday. If Grant isn't available it will need to be Denholm. 

Halkett has more experience of that pitch than anyone on our books. 

pettigrewsstylist
14 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

No way would I risk Beni on that pitch

I doubt we will, unless we feel we have no choice. 

Their defence was at sixes and sevens yesterday. Surely the likes of Vargas, Oda or Forrest running at them with Shanks sniffing about will yield a goal or 4?

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

They are terrible but any top division side is capable of occasionally eliminating the individual errors that they make and be competitive.  If they do then this will be much more difficult than some will imagine.  We might need to rely on how they perform rather than our own performance as it could be an attritional wasteland of a match.

Agree. We should never forget that in reality most games in this division are about fine lines.  You just have to look at yesterday when before the game most were licking their lips at the thought of a comfortable win.  

All the basics need to be right at the start of every game and if the stronger side gets that foothold first, it tends to play out to a victory.  

The RC game left us with a lot of work to do at 0-2 and we showed very good powers of comeback but we all know you don’t get away with that too often.

11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree. We should never forget that in reality most games in this division are about fine lines.  You just have to look at yesterday when before the game most were licking their lips at the thought of a comfortable win.  

All the basics need to be right at the start of every game and if the stronger side gets that foothold first, it tends to play out to a victory.  

The RC game left us with a lot of work to do at 0-2 and we showed very good powers of comeback but we all know you don’t get away with that too often.

Correct.  The basics and the minimising of individual errors becomes the be all and end all in a modest quality match.  Increasingly decided on one or two moments.  A poor quality match can be won and lost on the basis of setpieces or even a balance of field position.  

3 hours ago, karipidis said:

I’d go with this but 3-4-3 

Clark

Kent

Halkett

Kingsley

Sibbick

Beni

Hoff

Cochrane

Vargas

Shankland

Forrest

Yip

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Most of them, given past performances 🥸

New Year resolution adopt positive thinking. That's a historically accurate assessment though. Maybe we've turned the corner we've won twice on plastic at Rugby Park.

6 hours ago, ramrod said:

Massive game.

A win lets us start the year on a real high, a loss and the same old doubts start to manifest themselves. 

Yesterday was a big disappointment after the last 3 games, we have to make sure it was a blip.

Anything less than a win will be another disappointment given the form Livvy are in.

FTFY!

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

New Year resolution adopt positive thinking. That's a historically accurate assessment though. Maybe we've turned the corner we've won twice on plastic at Rugby Park.

Let's hope so. 

Would like to see Forrest start this game. No Lowry.

Also Vargas took his goal well vs Ross County so should be confident. I still believe that this guy will come good. Only 21 and 1st season in Scotland. 

Defence picks itself. Hopefully Beni can play. 

Whatever team its a must win. Worst team in league and we're pretty strong on our travels this season. 3 points and into the break clear in 3rd place. Mon the Gorgie!!

Clerry Jambo

Livi new signing

✍🏻 𝐓𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐧 Livingston FC is delighted to announce the signing of Australian striker Tete Yengi from Ipswich Town. The 6ft 5in, 23 year old arrives in West Lothian from Portman Road having just completed a loan spell with Finnish top-flight club KuPS where he…
Show more

gregzy2k7

Is beni back in for this ? Or is there any chance of us signing an actual midfielder before the game? This will be tough no doubt, would bite your hand off for a squeaky 1-0 win tbh.

cosanostra

I hate seeing Sibbick at right back. He's absolutely terrible there.

Not sure what other choice we have though.

upgotheheads
On 31/12/2023 at 08:44, Boris5115 said:

After yesterday's dissapointing result Naismith needs to get three points out of this game. Whilst it's a difficult surface they really are an awful team and anything less than 3 points would feel like yesterday. St Mirren and Kilmarnock both face the uglies on the same day so this gives us an opportunity to pull away from them. Come on Hearts get it done. 

Add a few asterisks and make the thread offishul willya?

Malinga the Swinga

Don't care about performance, don't care about score, just want the three points. We can then rest and rebuild for season restart in a couple of weeks.

Mikey1874
23 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It's probably because I'm a supporter and see it all but you can always rely on Heart of Midlothian to help a striker out with a goal drought and a struggling team with a result.

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official Livingston v Hearts Match Thread***

I fear this will be horrible and we might have to settle for a point 

Other than Shankland there is nothing that fills me with confidence