***Hearts Winter Transfer Window 2024 SLAMS SHUT***

dazajmbo

13 minutes ago, SoMarkDevriesy said:

I appreciate it isn't an urgent matter to recruit another striker, however the realistic prospect of Van Veen being within our reach (a proven SPFL striker) is/was certainly enticing, especially on a low risk 6 month loan. I suppose it could upset the balance and the morale of the squad if someone like Boyce is suddenly 3rd choice (or worse), whilst it also signal to Tagawa he isn't trusted. 

I agree. I wish we had went for him or another striker.

Up until a few weeks ago the second highest goals scored was own goals. Vargas has hit a bit of good form recently, but that can go as quickly as it came - see the 1:1 chance a few weeks ago he balooned over the bar. I think 3rd is safe, but we are pretty much hoping Shankland wins us the cup.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• GinRummy

• Sooks

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

johnking123

Think we will have more of a goal threat with Fraser from midfield. Plus hopefully a final ball for the likes of Vargas to feed off.

jamboy1982

Problem with tagawa is we don’t play a style that suits his strengths. Shanks loves the ball into feet where he can feel the defender and use his strength. Tagawa wants the ball played in behind or over the top to use his strength which is his pace. Very rarely do we play that pass. McKay would be the only one that might do it and he’s hardly kicked a ball. 

Tommy Brown
17 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

That could get them 4th (instead of Hibs or Aberdeen 😁 )

Don't underestimate Killie. 

They have beaten Celtic twice and Rangers once this season.

Interesting rumour on Pie & Bovril from a Motherwell fan. He says Well dropped their interest in Van Veen after offering to only cover half his wages. Groningen turned that down and Killie blew them out the water by offering (allegedly) to cover all the wages and bonuses (goals etc).

As Groningen have a balance of transfer still to pay to pay that could have been part of any loan arrangement. They may have told Well if they'd covered the full wages Van Veen could go back there  but Well baulked at the cost.  If true its a massive outlay by Killie......... (if true, of course!)

jambopilms
2 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Problem with tagawa is we don’t play a style that suits his strengths. Shanks loves the ball into feet where he can feel the defender and use his strength. Tagawa wants the ball played in behind or over the top to use his strength which is his pace. Very rarely do we play that pass. McKay would be the only one that might do it and he’s hardly kicked a ball. 

Tagawa has the same attributes as Vargas, apart from Vargas has shown something and Tagawa hasnt

heartsfc_fan
1 minute ago, JTJ said:

Interesting rumour on Pie & Bovril from a Motherwell fan. He says Well dropped their interest in Van Veen after offering to only cover half his wages. Groningen turned that down and Killie blew them out the water by offering (allegedly) to cover all the wages and bonuses (goals etc).

As Groningen have a balance of transfer still to pay to pay that could have been part of any loan arrangement. They may have told Well if they'd covered the full wages Van Veen could go back there  but Well baulked at the cost.  If true its a massive outlay by Killie......... (if true, of course!)

Where have Killie suddenly got the cash from? They barely get 5/6,000 fans through the door. Have they had fresh investment somewhere?

1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Where have Killie suddenly got the cash from? They barely get 5/6,000 fans through the door. Have they had fresh investment somewhere?

Chairman/major Shareholder is Billy Bowie and he may be worth a few bob. However, I know Groningen spunked big bucks to attract Van Veen, so his wages are very high for a Scottish (non-Celtic/Rangers) club.

skacel103
4 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Apart from the agents. How the hell do folk know this happened? Furthermore why would you post on social media if you knew that. 🤔 

Albert McFly
6 minutes ago, JTJ said:

KVV is on £10k pw 

Don't read forums and believe 🤣

14 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

I agree. I wish we had went for him or another striker.

Up until a few weeks ago the second highest goals scored was own goals. Vargas has hit a bit of good form recently, but that can go as quickly as it came - see the 1:1 chance a few weeks ago he balooned over the bar. I think 3rd is safe, but we are pretty much hoping Shankland wins us the cup.

Not a dig at you but have seen others on here maligning Vargas for that ballooned shot.  
It might be my old memory playing tricks on me, but iirc he was offside on that play so the fact he ballooned it meant nothing. 

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Van Veen has 117 in 369 (1 in every 3.15 games). Boyce has 192 in 449 (1 in every 2.3 games)

Although I see in terms of English level. But Boyce played in the Championship and no lower than League One and always in the top level in Scotland (barring the Championship season with us) and also Europe. (On the books of Bremen too)  Van Veen on the other hand only had a few games in the Dutch top flight amongst League One games in England and League Two mostly before his move to Motherwell and Dutch second tier interspersed.

So Boyce record is better and at a higher level.

Be glad to see him back on the bench instead of the modern day Connor Sammon (KVV)

6 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Not a dig at you but have seen others on here maligning Vargas for that ballooned shot.  
It might be my old memory playing tricks on me, but iirc he was offside on that play so the fact he ballooned it meant nothing. 

Wasn’t offside, it was called as a foul but if the foul had been checked by VAR the goal would have stood imo. 

Edited by GinRummy

Saint Jambo
2 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Not offside. The ref blew for a foul against the defender on the edge of the box, but waited until the shot before doing so. If he had scored it would have gone to VAR. Given the ref wouldn't have blown until after the ball was in the net, his onfield decision would have been goal and so the tussle with the defender would have needed to be a clear and obvious error. It may well have stood.

On KVV, I wouldn't have minded him signing but imagine he is seen as an unnecessary expense. He has had one season where he was very prolific. Outside of that he has been a decent but not exceptional scorer. Interesting to see how many he scores at Killie. Feels like a toss of a coin to me whether it is a success.

I'm pretty happy with our business this window.

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Folk comparing KVV to Connor Sammon.

:cornette:

Incredible isn't it, especially if you have seen them both play. 

Mikey1874
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Incredible isn't it, especially if you have seen them both play. 

Van Veen scored 14 goals in 11 games for Motherwell at one point last season. I seem to remember Conor Sammon's claim to fame was a similar run of goals for Kilmarnock, though overall he scored 1 in 4 games for them. He never repeated that short run of goals.

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Rods said:

So Boyce record is better and at a higher level.

Be glad to see him back on the bench instead of the modern day Connor Sammon (KVV)

I’ve made no secret about thinking keeping Boyce on wasn’t/isn’t the best judgement (pulled up for how often I say it, in fact) but he would most certainly be ahead of Van Veen in the pecking order for me if fit.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

You can borrow money.

Quite common for football clubs

johnking123
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

I’ve made no secret about thinking keeping Boyce on wasn’t/isn’t the best judgement (pulled up for how often I say it, in fact) but he would most certainly be ahead of Van Veen in the pecking order for me.

Boyce himself activated the clause.  He will do till end of season. But will need a forward or two next season.

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You can borrow money.

Quite common for football clubs

Could still come back to haunt them.

Not a bad signing for them though.

Watt-Zeefuik
57 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Folk comparing KVV to Connor Sammon.

:cornette:

Well their playing styles, their goal scoring records, their level of consistency, and their achievements at any level at all are completely different, but other than that, they're similar, eh? 🤦‍♂️

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Van Veen scored 14 goals in 11 games for Motherwell at one point last season. I seem to remember Conor Sammon's claim to fame was a similar run of goals for Kilmarnock, though overall he scored 1 in 4 games for them. He never repeated that short run of goals.

Sammon scored something like 12 in 13 games in a season where he scored 15 out of 23 for Kilmarnock. A season and streak unlike anything else in his career before or since. Hence the comparison to Van Veen.

Anyone not getting why that comparison was made is either forgetful, or they’re being deliberately obtuse. Not a good look either way.

19/05/2012

Seems like Killie are breaking the bank to get Europe would be unfortunate if they finished bottom 6

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Could still come back to haunt them.

Not a bad signing for them though.

It's a 6 month loan, unsure It's gonna haunt them, even if he's not great.

Pretty much risk free.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Sammon scored something like 12 in 13 games in a season where he scored 15 out of 23 for Kilmarnock. A season and streak unlike anything else in his career before or since. Hence the comparison to Van Veen.

Anyone not getting why that comparison was made is either forgetful, or they’re being deliberately obtuse. Not a good look either way.

Utter drivel. Sammon's best year was 18 from 27. Take that away and he's a 1-in-5 striker for the rest of his career. His best year was in 2011 and we signed him in 2016.

Take away KVV's best year (which was LAST SEASON) and he's still a career 1-in-3 striker with far more consistency across his career.

The comparison is asinine and pointless and completely out of touch with reality.

jamboy1982

Sammon scored a lot of goals for one reason. Eremenko. Killie somehow managed to get and he set nearly every goal up for him. 

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's a 6 month loan, unsure It's gonna haunt them, even if he's not great.

Pretty much risk free.

They’ll be paying top dollar for his wages though . Killie are  not a club exactly awash with money. I suppose though if it secures a Europe slot for them it will have paid for its self.

OmiyaHearts

Seems a bit weird, we've not done announcements like that before the deadline.

Sooperstar
Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Seems a bit weird, we've not done announcements like that before the deadline.

Yes we have. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Badonde said:

Well that’s a bit shite

is it? Kept shanks and strengthend the first 11. Moved on some squad players

Mr Rabbit

😂 why did anyone expect us to sign someone today? We’ve literally been transparent since the window opened.

19/05/2012

The wording off that sounds to me like the club don’t expect Shankland to sign a new deal

39 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wasn’t offside, it was called as a foul but if the foul had been checked by VAR the goal would have stood imo. 

👍. Auld brain cells! 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

They’ll be paying top dollar for his wages though . Killie are  not a club exactly awash with money. I suppose though if it secures a Europe slot for them it will have paid for its self.

Top dollar for 5 months, not sure there will  be much haunting, even if he's poor.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, 19/05/2012 said:

The wording off that sounds to me like the club don’t expect Shankland to sign a new deal

Which words?

4 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

:facepalm:

BackOfTheNet
21 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Utter drivel. Sammon's best year was 18 from 27. Take that away and he's a 1-in-5 striker for the rest of his career. His best year was in 2011 and we signed him in 2016.

Take away KVV's best year (which was LAST SEASON) and he's still a career 1-in-3 striker with far more consistency across his career.

The comparison is asinine and pointless and completely out of touch with reality.

Take away his 44 games for Motherwell last season he’s left with 325 career games. Take away his 29 goals for Motherwell in that season he’s left with 88 career goals. That’s a goal every 3.69 games, so closer to 1 in 4 than it is to 1 in 3.

Sammon’s record is not as good, but he played 147 games in England across the Premier League and Championship. Van Veen never played any higher than League One (which Sammon also played 27 times in). Having a better goal to game ratio when you’ve played at a lower level during your prime years is not a power play.

Is Van Veen better than Sammon? Of course he is. Sammon is a complete huddy. Have they both had careers where they’ve not been prolific other than one season? Yes. Hence the comparison. You saying it’s “utter drivel” doesn’t change that fact.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Yes we have. 

Normally we do it through journalists, but I think this is a good way for the club to do it. Making an announcement then show how good a transfer window it has been.

52 minutes ago, Canscot said:

It wasn't offside, it was flagged for a foul on the defender. It was never a foul, if he'd scored VAR would of given the goal IMO. 

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Think we will have more of a goal threat with Fraser from midfield. Plus hopefully a final ball for the likes of Vargas to feed off.

You always needs different options and choice for the rigours of a season and different types of games but I hope we are seeing a slow shift towards more all-round midfielders rather than players who are limited to a certain role.  

Just now, EH11 2NL said:

It wasn't offside, it was flagged for a foul on the defender. It was never a foul, if he'd scored VAR would of given the goal IMO. 

👍See above re auld brain cells😉

Just now, EH11 2NL said:

😁

I remember it being called back. Pity about the rest though🥴

BackOfTheNet

Transfer windows contain transfer business. Contract extensions, be it Forrest, Halkett, Gordon, Baningime or Shankland is not transfer business. Meaning things can happen after the window.

I get the press have reported a supposed deadline on a contract offer we gave Shankland, but even if that’s the case it’s a deadline for that offer. Not any offer. Why are people squeaking their bums about contracts today?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Hearts Winter Transfer Window 2024 SLAMS SHUT***