***Hearts Winter Transfer Window 2024 SLAMS SHUT***

dazajmbo

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Happy with the window, think we are stronger than the beginning of January.

But there is always something in the back of your mind that wants Hearts to do something interesting on deadline day because its exciting and tries to dismiss all the journalists and evidence showing nothing is happening.

Think we all hope for a last day surprise signing out of no where but it isn’t really the way we do things these days. We can live in hope but I think we’re done unless we shift 1 or 2. 

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• GinRummy

• Sooks

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Think we all hope for a last day surprise signing out of no where but it isn’t really the way we do things these days. We can live in hope but I think we’re done unless we shift 1 or 2. 

Agree, its also been a pattern of our transfer window activity, our last two windows have had no players signed on deadline day, and usually the last signing is a week before at least before the deadline shuts (would have been the same this window but Charlton held the transfer up.) Its also why the idea that we panic buy at the end after waiting too long for the ideal player who is cheap is wrong.

Still think we may see 1 fringe player go, but even if they dont, we have a squad of 26 players which is a decent size.

PhoenixHearts
10 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Amazed it looks like we haven't managed to shift Haring. Really thought Levein would have taken him at St Johnstone til the end of the season on loan at least. Shame he's just going to hang around here wasting a decent wage best used elsewhere. Our academy players should be ahead of him in the pecking order anyway so seems silly to keep him here unless there really are no suitors.

He's injured

Shooter McGavin
6 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Most journalists should be taken with a pinch of salt and kept at arms length 

However if any are to be listened to and taken with a degree of seriousness then it would always be the local newspaper guy, he will get more information from the club than any red top rag

There will always be a fair chunk of truth in a Barry Anderson story, mainly because he’s a local journalist assigned to Hearts 

And the fact he's probably sat in the press room at Tynecastle right now

18 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

I love that, after all this time, people think Barry Anderson just makes up stuff. No print journalist has the level of access he does at hearts, why would he just invent stories? If anything, when he says something it should be taken as gospel along with the BBC

After it came out in the media that we were in talks with Lafferty, an "ITK" poster on here claimed it was a done deal and he'd be announced the next day, for several days.

Meanwhile, Barry Anderson reported that talks were ongoing but nothing was done and Lafferty was also due to talk to Hibs.

Anderson's version was later proven 100% correct by an interview Lafferty gave, but of course he's still a slaver and some people think that poster is ITK.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, longmalx said:

Fundamentally that is what attacking midfielders are all about in general - Fraser I think you'll find is much the same, but perhaps with more of an attitude.

If they spend all their time grafting backwards they're not available when you need it. Grant's efforts pressing have been excellent recently, especially against Celtic.

At the moment we only have Grant who can play that position other than Shankland (who we don't really want there) so it will be good to have cover and I expect we'll see both Grant / Fraser in the same team if we're chasing / at home against a lower 6 at times.

Fraser will be more direct, more of a runner, Grant essentially is good with his feet and is more about craft, the counter attack last Saturday for example, fish out of water, his natural instinct was to take the ball into feet rather than get it out in front of him, Fraser would be the opposite, much more North and South type of player, Grant is East and West if that makes sense.

Pete Elliott
20 minutes ago, longmalx said:

Fundamentally that is what attacking midfielders are all about in general - Fraser I think you'll find is much the same, but perhaps with more of an attitude.

If they spend all their time grafting backwards they're not available when you need it. Grant's efforts pressing have been excellent recently, especially against Celtic.

At the moment we only have Grant who can play that position other than Shankland (who we don't really want there) so it will be good to have cover and I expect we'll see both Grant / Fraser in the same team if we're chasing / at home against a lower 6 at times.

Depends on what you define as an attacking midfielder i guess. I don’t like Grant in the hole as I don’t feel he is creative enough to be the lynchpin. I think he also struggles as a Hartley/Cameron type as he doesn’t have the engine or acceleration to drive away from players.

At Celtic Park him and Denholm played in just ahead of Beni in a midfield three and that suited him better. He was excellent that day and ran his guts out. I just haven’t seen that level of application from him on more than a handful of occasions unfortunately. 

His upturn in effort and output means I’m at the point now where I no longer feel depressed seeing his name in the starting lineup but still wouldn’t miss him one bit if he left.

Pete Elliott
7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Fraser will be more direct, more of a runner, Grant essentially is good with his feet and is more about craft, the counter attack last Saturday for example, fish out of water, his natural instinct was to take the ball into feet rather than get it out in front of him, Fraser would be the opposite, much more North and South type of player, Grant is East and West if that makes sense.

Really good way of putting it 👍🏻

Gundermann
21 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Everything the BBC says should be taken as gospel?

This.

Do think Anderson and McLauchlin are ITK though, or at least more than most of us here.

Chuck Berry
20 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Amazed it looks like we haven't managed to shift Haring. Really thought Levein would have taken him at St Johnstone til the end of the season on loan at least. Shame he's just going to hang around here wasting a decent wage best used elsewhere. Our academy players should be ahead of him in the pecking order anyway so seems silly to keep him here unless there really are no suitors.

Agree, it makes no sense unless nobody wants him. He's barely going to play for us again.

Pete Elliott
Just now, Chuck Berry said:

Agree, it makes no sense unless nobody wants him. He's barely going to play for us again.

Nobody is going to sign a player who is out for weeks with an injury 😳

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Chuck Berry said:

A good team mate of Naismiths, I suspect he is letting him see out his final days in Scotland with the finest, I dont grudge him that even if the youngsters have usurped him

1 minute ago, Pete Elliott said:

Is Haring injured ? Thought he was just unselected. 

Nobody is going to sign a player who is out for 2 weeks? 🤨

PhoenixHearts
4 minutes ago, Chimp said:

And? He's due back in a couple of weeks

And? St Johnstone would likely not want to take an injured player on, particularly when it's a player who had a long term saga with mystery injuries under Craig Leveins tenure.

The fact he's injured is also relevant because that's the reason he's been out of the side since playing well at Livi, not because he has no role to play here or is out of favour, as had been speculated.

Naismith probably has an understanding that while he may not play Haring all too much for the rest of the year, he fills an important role in the squad, he's well respected and he knows he can depend on him when he needs to.

Chuck Berry
Just now, Pete Elliott said:

Is he out for "weeks"? Sked says he's "dealing with an injury".

In any case, a loan can still be arranged for a player ahead of the window closing and then join up when fit, assuming it's just a minor niggle.

troonmaroon
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Yeah. Naismith flagged it yesterday (or maybe day before). 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Haring has taken an injection in his knee and could be available around mid-February. "Peter hurt his knee against Livingston [on 2 January] and he's had an injection in it, so he is just on his way back from that," said Naismith. "It was more a routine thing which sounds worse than it is. He needs a period of rest but hopefully within a week or two he will be back to some form of work on the [training] pitch."

Thats training in 2 weeks, not playing

Just now, Dazo said:

Naismith said he hurt his knee against Livi, got an injection and is due back in mid feb. Said it was more a routine thing which sounds worse than it is.

PhoenixHearts
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He picked up an injury vs Livi (where he played well) before the winter break. Otherwise he'd have definitely at least been on the bench for Spartans, Dundee and Aberdeen.

He's nowhere near as out of the picture as some want him to be.

August Landmesser
5 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Craig Levein might! 😁

2 minutes ago, troonmaroon said:

Yeah. Naismith flagged it yesterday (or maybe day before). 

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Naismith said he hurt his knee against Livi, got an injection and is due back in mid feb. Said it was more a routine thing which sounds worse than it is.

1 minute ago, PhoenixHearts said:

He picked up an injury vs Livi (where he played well) before the winter break. Otherwise he'd have definitely at least been on the bench for Spartans, Dundee and Aberdeen.

He's nowhere near as out of the picture as some want him to be.

Cheers missed that. Doesn’t sound too bad and will be back in a couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

Craig Levein might! 😁

In fact I'm editing that out. 

Edited by GinRummy

Pete Elliott
6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Won’t even be back on the training ground for another couple of weeks according to Naismith. 

2 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

And? St Johnstone would likely not want to take an injured player on, particularly when it's a player who had a long term saga with mystery injuries under Craig Leveins tenure.

The fact he's injured is also relevant because that's the reason he's been out of the side since playing well at Livi, not because he has no role to play here or is out of favour, as had been speculated.

Naismith probably has an understanding that while he may not play Haring all too much for the rest of the year, he fills an important role in the squad, he's well respected and he knows he can depend on him when he needs to.

Right, your point was that he wouldn't be going out on loan because he's injured. Yet it's only for 2 weeks. Making out like another club wouldn't take him because they'd have to wait a couple of weeks before he's fit again.. ok then 🙃

Other teams exist other than St Johnstone btw and might benefit from an experienced player, that was just 1 suggestion. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Haring has taken an injection in his knee and could be available around mid-February. "Peter hurt his knee against Livingston [on 2 January] and he's had an injection in it, so he is just on his way back from that," said Naismith. "It was more a routine thing which sounds worse than it is. He needs a period of rest but hopefully within a week or two he will be back to some form of work on the [training] pitch."

5 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Won’t even be back on the training ground for another couple of weeks according to Naismith. 

I must be on ignore :lol:

23 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

16 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Depends on what you define as an attacking midfielder i guess. I don’t like Grant in the hole as I don’t feel he is creative enough to be the lynchpin. I think he also struggles as a Hartley/Cameron type as he doesn’t have the engine or acceleration to drive away from players.

At Celtic Park him and Denholm played in just ahead of Beni in a midfield three and that suited him better. He was excellent that day and ran his guts out. I just haven’t seen that level of application from him on more than a handful of occasions unfortunately. 

His upturn in effort and output means I’m at the point now where I no longer feel depressed seeing his name in the starting lineup but still wouldn’t miss him one bit if he left.

I agree with both of this.

I'm not saying Fraser won't be an upgrade on Grant, but part of the complaints about Grant can be levelled at any attack-minded midfielder - he just gets singled out more than others since the dive.

As 1st quote points out - I think there is a chance they'll both play since they should complement each other. Given Calem's uptick in form it should lead to genuine competition for places for rest of season in front of Beni / Tait.

I suspect Denholm is the one who'll suffer most. Running forward was his best/only attribute which set him apart.

40 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Naismith gave an update yesterday on where Haring and Boyce are in their recovery from injuries.  Haring a few weeks away from starting training ... Boyce a bit longer.  No team will take a gamble on him when he will not be available for games in February.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, longmalx said:

I agree with both of this.

I'm not saying Fraser won't be an upgrade on Grant, but part of the complaints about Grant can be levelled at any attack-minded midfielder - he just gets singled out more than others since the dive.

As 1st quote points out - I think there is a chance they'll both play since they should complement each other. Given Calem's uptick in form it should lead to genuine competition for places for rest of season in front of Beni / Tait.

I suspect Denholm is the one who'll suffer most. Running forward was his best/only attribute which set him apart.

I think that is correct, Fraser far more experienced, also an adept finisher, actually scored against us once, though a "different" type of goal

12 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Yes, and I highly doubt that means he'll then not be available to play for months after that.

There's a lot of football to be played between now and the end of the season. You trying to tell me a team would be put off signing one of our better players like Shankland or Kent for example on loan for the rest of the season if they had a routine injury they were due back from shortly?

Probably shows how far he's fallen to be honest that there's barely any interest in Haring right now. Nothing to do with this niggle. A few years ago he'd have walked into any side outside the OF and you could absolutely bet they'd have snapped your hand off to take him on loan, out for a few weeks or not.

AGoodLaugh
54 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

I love that, after all this time, people think Barry Anderson just makes up stuff. No print journalist has the level of access he does at hearts, why would he just invent stories? If anything, when he says something it should be taken as gospel along with the BBC

It's so weird. As far as I can tell he's a decent guy, a good journo, and is basically always spot on for Hearts news? 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Is Lewis neilson on loan to partick for the full season? 

Yeah mate full season. Looking forward to seeing how he's come on.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Yes, and I highly doubt that means he'll then not be available to play for months after that.

There's a lot of football to be played between now and the end of the season. You trying to tell me a team would be put off signing one of our better players like Shankland or Kent for example on loan for the rest of the season if they had a routine injury they were due back from shortly?

Probably shows how far he's fallen to be honest that there's barely any interest in Haring right now. Nothing to do with this niggle. A few years ago he'd have walked into any side outside the OF and you could absolutely bet they'd have snapped your hand off to take him on loan, out for a few weeks or not.

Most teams have around 16 games to play, by end February that will reduce to around by 11, so no, I don't see any club hiring a player for around 11 matches, if even that, if they suffered a setback. That would not be clever regardless how good the player is they are no use on the bench, generally with loans, the parent club looks after treatment, realistically can you see any club treating a player to send him away in a month.

Dont think I know of a similar situation to be honest

johnking123

Guess with Fraser signing. We could play Grant, Beni and Fraser. Beni sitting deep with Grant doing playmaker and Fraser pushing to attack  as much as possible. Gives us more choice in midfield definitely.

I don't see Grant/Fraser or Grant/Dhanda as the same type of player & I think he could work alongside either as part of a midfield 3.

Grant's the kind of player who can play the role of the man in the middle dictating the tempo & looking to keep us ticking, picking his teammates out when the opportunity comes - Fraser/Dhanda from what I understand are the guys who he'll be looking to play through, running into the box to directly support Shankland. Grant could easily sit a little deeper as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 then Fraser or Dhanda in the middle of the 3 with Beni there to mop up and protect the back line.

Edited by boag1874

6 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Guess with Fraser signing. We could play Grant, Beni and Fraser. Beni sitting deep with Grant doing playmaker and Fraser pushing to attack  as much as possible. Gives us more choice in midfield definitely.

Beat me to it

4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Most teams have around 16 games to play, by end February that will reduce to around by 11, so no, I don't see any club hiring a player for around 11 matches, if even that, if they suffered a setback. That would not be clever regardless how good the player is they are no use on the bench, generally with loans, the parent club looks after treatment, realistically can you see any club treating a player to send him away in a month.

Dont think I know of a similar situation to be honest

I get your point and that would be understandable if it wasn't going to be beneficial financially. Wouldn't be expecting anyone to break the bank in this situation. Just feel like a club nearer the bottom end of either ours or another league could benefit from having an experienced player with what will be very important games coming up. Like I say I just think it shows how far he's fallen.

Would be surprised to see him play many more games here til the end of the season and would much rather see our young guys given a chance before him, especially since he'll be gone regardless.

Bunny Munro

Haring started the last game he was fit for. Since then Lowry and Halliday have left. 

Our other CM options are Beni, Denholm, Hoff, Devlin, Fraser, Grant and Tait.

Devlins injured, Beni is injury prone, Tait has looked great in his two recent appearances but needs to be managed properly, Grant and Fraser aren't good enough defensively or are better used elsewhere.

The club won't want to lose Haring this window, even if he was fit.

Edited by Bunny Munro

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Newton51 said:

Happy with the window and the squad but the shankland situation is causing some unease

It always will with your best players. Best to reconcile yourself he will be moving in the summer, key for us is ensuring he is not missed, more key parts and load spread around the team.

Its easily forgotten pre Shanks, we had 3rd sewn up before the split, though we dont want to lose him, it need not be the blow we fear

20 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

It's so weird. As far as I can tell he's a decent guy, a good journo, and is basically always spot on for Hearts news? 

I dont mind the guy either . I would certainly believe him before some of the fantasists on here 

8 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Happy with the window and the squad but the shankland situation is causing some unease

Let's stay up late and celebrate together at 11:30pm

Pete Elliott
45 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Right, your point was that he wouldn't be going out on loan because he's injured. Yet it's only for 2 weeks. Making out like another club wouldn't take him because they'd have to wait a couple of weeks before he's fit again.. ok then 🙃

Other teams exist other than St Johnstone btw and might benefit from an experienced player, that was just 1 suggestion. 

Jesus 😳

39 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I must be on ignore :lol:

😛

Jesus 😳

Really nothing shocking about what I said, nice contribution sir 👍

Pete Elliott
22 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

I don't see Grant/Fraser or Grant/Dhanda as the same type of player & I think he could work alongside either as part of a midfield 3.

Grant's the kind of player who can play the role of the man in the middle dictating the tempo & looking to keep us ticking, picking his teammates out when the opportunity comes - Fraser/Dhanda from what I understand are the guys who he'll be looking to play through, running into the box to directly support Shankland. Grant could easily sit a little deeper as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 then Fraser or Dhanda in the middle of the 3 with Beni there to mop up and protect the back line.

I disagree. Dhanda looks a player who wants the ball and will dictate play. Fraser looks a player who will do a lot of running off the ball and arrive late in the box.

Pete Elliott

Really nothing shocking about what I said, nice contribution sir 👍

Sometimes you just need to know when to stop digging 👍🏻

RustyRightPeg
24 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

So Grant’s literally just started playing well in his favoured #10 position just behind Shanks and you’re moving him deeper into the position we’ve just brought Fraser in to play? 

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

I had previously heard of interest in Haring and Grant from St Johnstone but nothing has come of that as of yet.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Hearts Winter Transfer Window 2024 SLAMS SHUT***