Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

I'm wondering if it will be worked like an aircraft crash now. When they gather every last scrap of the plane they can find then try to jigsaw it together.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

Pete Elliott
14 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

:laugh:

Aye...it's me that's naïve. 

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Deep state shit going down? Well, who would have think it. 

It’s not just the coverage that’s disproportionate imo, it’s the subsequent outpouring of sorrow for the five victims on social media tonight. Just pisses me off that the media and society are all over this story about ‘tragic intrepid advernturers’ but those losing their lives at sea on a daily basis seeking a better life are dismissed as meaningless immigrants.

Rant over. I’m out. Peace.

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Well I guess the next time 5 guys with less than 10 quid between them decide to get in a submersible and have a ghoulish poke about at a shipwreck at the bottom of the Atlantic we will know for certain. 😉

Only if they're in a  another  low-budget submersible made out of carbon fibre, and  piloted by a guy with a games controller.   

the posh bit
2 minutes ago, kila said:

I guess the point is migrants drowning is sadly not uncommon where as this event was unusual and had a ticking clock on it with the whole 96 hours of oxygen. 

The tragedy in the Med was one of the worst tragedies at sea in recent history. There are still 500 people missing and over one hundred children amongst the dead/missing. That is very uncommon, even in that mass grave of a sea. It's had scant coverage compared to the apparent clock ticking down on 5 rich folk. 

the posh bit
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Only if they're in a  another  low-budget submersible made out of carbon fibre, and  piloted by a guy with a games controller.   

😁

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm wondering if it will be worked like an aircraft crash now. When they gather every last scrap of the plane they can find then try to jigsaw it together.

I doubt they'll bother recovering it. They know it was shoddily put together and it's never going to be reproduced/other models used again. 

Maybe it will become another tourist hotspot. Be I threshing to know how close to the Titanic it is. Wonder if they actually got to see it.

jack D and coke
36 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Nobody brave enough the start the memes? 😬

There’s plenty 😐

CavySlaveJambo
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm wondering if it will be worked like an aircraft crash now. When they gather every last scrap of the plane they can find then try to jigsaw it 

ROV mapping and footage, for investigation purposes.  

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

I doubt they'll bother recovering it. They know it was shoddily put together and it's never going to be reproduced/other models used again. 

Maybe it will become another tourist hotspot. Be I threshing to know how close to the Titanic it is. Wonder if they actually got to see it.

Just under 500m from the bow. In an area with no Titanic debris. 

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

BBC says the debris is in two patches about 1600 feet from the bow.

Director James Cameron, who has completed 33 dives to the Titanic, has told BBC News that he predicted this deadly outcome days earlier.

The director of the blockbuster film Titanic said he was on a ship on Sunday when the sub first went missing, and he did not hear about its disappearance until Monday.

When he learned that the sub had lost both its navigation and communication at the same time, he said he immediately suspected a disaster had taken place.

"I felt in my bones what had happened. For the sub’s electronics to fail and its communication system to fail, and its tracking transponder to fail simultaneously - sub's gone."

Cameron told BBC News the past week has "felt like a prolonged and nightmarish charade where people are running around talking about banging noises and talking about oxygen and all this other stuff".

"I knew that sub was sitting exactly underneath its last known depth and position. That's exactly where they found it," he continued.

He added that once a remotely controlled underwater vehicle was deployed on Thursday, searchers "found it within hours, probably within minutes".

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

It’s not just the coverage that’s disproportionate imo, it’s the subsequent outpouring of sorrow for the five victims on social media tonight. Just pisses me off that the media and society are all over this story about ‘tragic intrepid advernturers’ but those losing their lives at sea on a daily basis seeking a better life are dismissed as meaningless immigrants.

Rant over. I’m out. Peace.

Isn't the normal reaction of ordinary folk on dry land more  one of horror at how they died - cramped in a dodgy wee vessel miles down in a huge sea in a dark hostile environment - rather than how rich they were ? 

However your point about comparison of media coverage with the overloaded refugee boat has some relevance, in so much as the 5 rich folk were doing this voyage as tourists on an "experience of a lifetime" trip - they didn't have to do it in order to find a better life elsewhere like the migrants/refugees did.

21 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I saw a piece a few hours ago saying that the US Navy actually use games type controllers for certain tasks now as people are used to them and the intuitive design of them works well. The big games companies has spent many hours making these things easy to use and the use of them goes back many years now with a couple of generations spending their teenage years using them. 

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Director James Cameron, who has completed 33 dives to the Titanic, has told BBC News that he predicted this deadly outcome days earlier.

The director of the blockbuster film Titanic said he was on a ship on Sunday when the sub first went missing, and he did not hear about its disappearance until Monday.

When he learned that the sub had lost both its navigation and communication at the same time, he said he immediately suspected a disaster had taken place.

"I felt in my bones what had happened. For the sub’s electronics to fail and its communication system to fail, and its tracking transponder to fail simultaneously - sub's gone."

Cameron told BBC News the past week has "felt like a prolonged and nightmarish charade where people are running around talking about banging noises and talking about oxygen and all this other stuff".

"I knew that sub was sitting exactly underneath its last known depth and position. That's exactly where they found it," he continued.

He added that once a remotely controlled underwater vehicle was deployed on Thursday, searchers "found it within hours, probably within minutes".

Wow.   JC sounds like a bit of a know-all, and seems to be insinuating that the rescue effort was far too late ......  but even if the ROV had been deployed on Monday it would have found the sub in the same imploded state anyway.  In other words, the banging noises pickup must have been false ?   Strange.     

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Wow.   JC sounds like a bit of a know-all, and seems to be insinuating that the rescue effort was far too late ......  but even if the ROV had been deployed on Monday it would have found the sub in the same imploded state anyway.  In other words, the banging noises pickup must have been false ?   Strange.     

I think he's got some experience, tbf :laugh:

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

In my opinion, that’s not even the slightest bit funny.

This is the end of people’s life’s that you are finding humour in.

Do you think any of them would give a flying **** if it was you or any of your family?

There has just been a big uproar about a bunch of Tories having parties while literally tens of thousands of people were dying FFS.

IMO the meme was funny.  Do I wish the people were dead?  No.

Can I change my sense of humour?  No.  Nor would I want to.

16 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Just like him I thought they were dead from the start, until reports of banging sounds coming at 30 minute intervals surfaced. But it looks as if Cameron knowing a lot more about this stuff than I do never believed in the sounds theory.

He knew they would be on the bottom directly below the last known position, and they were.

That thing you do
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

They said it will yes. Only way to paint a picture is to piece it together.

The difference is in air crashes 100+ other exact same models fly about so investigations are intense.

This is a one off vehicle evidently built with spare parts from B&Q so cant see them funding an investigation tbh

Journalists asking about recovering the bodies.

:vrface:

Away and learn what happens during catastrophic implosions ya tits.

The air space inside the sub would have gone from normal size to almost nothing in about 5 milliseconds as the weight of millions of tons of water is almost instantly brought to bear on it.

This compresses and superheats the air causing an actual explosion.

They'd have been reduced to a fine mist within that 5 millisecond time frame.

Just look up "fire piston" to see what would have happened, then imagine 5 humans being in the air space.

Edited by Cade

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

They said it will yes. Only way to paint a picture is to piece it together.

The difference is in air crashes 100+ other exact same models fly about so investigations are intense.

This is a one off vehicle evidently built with spare parts from B&Q so cant see them funding an investigation tbh

There must surely be a blueprint to work from. Latest news should give us a precise time for the implosion.

The US Navy detected “an acoustic anomaly consistent with an implosion” shortly after the Titan lost contact with the surface, an official has told CBS News, the BBC's US partner.

The information was relayed to the US Coast Guard, which used it to narrow the radius of its search, the official added.

The banging that was reported earlier is now thought to have been coming from other ships in the area, CBS reports.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

The air space inside the sub would have gone from normal size to almost nothing in about 5 milliseconds as the weight of millions of tons of water is almost instantly brought to bear on it.

Just look up "fire piston" to see what would have happened, then imagine 5 humans being in the air space.

I just watched the first video I have seen of the announcement, everything I knew prior to it I read. But yeah you're right, a press conference with journalists asking about recovering bodies, real odd.

What in the world do they think happens when you effectively drop something weighing millions of tons on to something soft and squishy at very high speed.

Good talk about the deficiencies of the craft from James Cameron who is himself a professional deep sea explorer and submersible designer. He says carbon fibre isn't suitable for this type of thing and also mentioned they may have had warning they were in trouble.

He says the one concession they made to safety was a system of sensors inside the hull that would give them a warning when it was starting to crack. He thinks they probably knew something was beginning to happen before it did. But as he says, what use is that? It's too late.

7 hours ago, been here before said:

Lacks the balls to come out and say it or to do anything about it.

Hiding behind ambiguous suggestions.

Cowardly stuff really, speaks volumes though.

Does it need saying?

4 hours ago, Cade said:

Is there nothing you don't know about?

Malinga the Swinga
38 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I assume the victims’ estates will cover the cost of the rescue mission. 

Did you assume that when flight MH370 vanished or is because you consider these folk wealthy?

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, Cade said:

Plenty.

But I'm working on it.

Can you start on who are signings will be this summer?

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

The guys only done 33dives to the titanic and holds a record for diving to the deepest point on earth. I'm sure he picked up wee bits and bobs about submersibles along the way.

Lone Striker
1 minute ago, Herbert. said:

The guys only done 33dives to the titanic and holds a record for diving to the deepest point on earth. I'm sure he picked up wee bits and bobs about submersibles along the way.

True.  👍

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Did you assume that when flight MH370 vanished or is because you consider these folk wealthy?

They went into a dangerous territory in a vessel that was potentially not fit for purpose. 

You climb Ben Nevis in flip flops you’ll get the same reaction. 

It does seem from a variety of comments from those that know their stuff. That no ones in the least surprised at the outcome.

the posh bit
53 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The sea claims another Five lives.

There is only one winner. This damn Cruel Sea.

The sea isn't cruel. 

6 minutes ago, Ked said:

It does seem from a variety of comments from those that know their stuff. That no ones in the least surprised at the outcome.

Yeah. I guess that a lot of the search efforts were on the idea that you don't know 100% for sure till you find it so we best have a go and proceed on the premise that they're still alive. 

Ron Burgundy
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

They went into a dangerous territory in a vessel that was potentially not fit for purpose. 

You climb Ben Nevis in flip flops you’ll get the same reaction. 

That first line is exactly what could be said about illegal immigrants found at sea. Difference is the guys in the sub went for thrills not financial gain. IMO the importance of a persons life shouldn't be based on their wealth ( or stupidity ).

Ron Burgundy
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

E4E08190-9775-44C3-9A45-BF585D60723E.jpeg

😄

I saw a good one with Gazza yesterday but no idea how to post it.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

That first line is exactly what could be said about illegal immigrants found at sea. Difference is the guys in the sub went for thrills not financial gain. IMO the importance of a persons life shouldn't be based on their wealth ( or stupidity ).

Bit harsh to reduce it to "financial gain". 

Unknown user
32 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Do you not consider the billionaire wealthy?

Ron Burgundy
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Bit harsh to reduce it to "financial gain". 

I'm not talking about refugees or asylum seekers.

il Duce McTarkin
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Not surprised that this is how you pass your time, tbh.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Is there nothing you don't know about?

Aye Wikipedia’ is a good resource on this ! Even I knew that the vessel would crush itself . But incredible the amount of experts on this , ranging from politics , science , football etc . They really shouldn’t hide it  their knowledge base …. Oh wait 

36 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

There’s an underlying hint of envy about rich people and what they spend their money on , from not so rich people . None of my business what they do with their brass . They earned it , in whatever way . Envy is s terrible sin. It permeates through some posters on this . 

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, Pete Elliott said:

The media coverage of five millionaires dying at sea compared to hundreds of penniless refugees dying at sea sums up this shan world perfectly.

Well said. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Herbert. said:

Theres been so many different explorative dives now they’ve not going to learn anything else really, this should be the last. 

the posh bit
25 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Envy is s terrible sin. It permeates through some posters on this . 

I don't think anyone is envious. They're fishfood now, FFS. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

The sea isn't cruel. 

You keep thinking that. I know different.

4 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

We need less coverage of migrant boats sinking imo.

I'm afraid migrant boats will keep coming and more will die.

And the coverage will draw the level if interest/shock that mass shootings in America does.

36 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

There’s an underlying hint of envy about rich people and what they spend their money on , from not so rich people . None of my business what they do with their brass . They earned it , in whatever way . Envy is s terrible sin. It permeates through some posters on this . 

And until the crazy distribution of wealth and resources is sorted the boat people will just grow.

Envy maybe but I think some just see this and the migrants as part of the fek up.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine