***Other Clubs Summer Transfer Thread 2023***

tartofmidlothian

20 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

They’re better at tying players down into contracts that benefit the club. 

Look at us this summer chasing our tail after our second best player leaves us in limbo. IF Beni or Devlin have a good season, we’ll be in the same situation next summer. 

They have sold 5/6 players and in the same time we sold Hickey. 

Yeah, its not good enough. 

I wonder what the root cause of it is? I'm a big believer of you make your own luck to a certain degree, so I'm reluctant to just chalk this up to Aberdeen being exceptionally lucky with players being decent and appreciating the opportunity they've been given. 

I've saw a few posts on here about Hearts having a pretty rigid wage structure. I wonder how much that is responsible for this? Its maybe a sign the board need to be a bit more flexible with salary offers and not open itself up to being over a barrel in negotiations. I.e its much easier to negotiate a deal with 2+ years on their deal, than <12 months, because running down a deal with less than a year to run is a hell of a lot easier than over two years where the media scrutiny and fan rage will follow. 

IMO we should be sorting extensions for Devlin, Beni & Shanks this summer. We shouldn't be allowing ourselves to go into next season with key players futures in limbo and Shanks not on a long term deal (as if there is a deal to be done here, its this summer, not next). 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

Naisys Tackle
17 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Lewis Ferguson is exactly what we did a few years prior with John Souttar, we knocked back substantial bids for Souttar, before he got injured again and of course he eventually ran down his contract.

There's no evidence of any great strategy, it's entirely down to selling at the right time and the players avoiding injury.

If it weren't for a combination of a calamitous 2019/20 and COVID 19, there is every chance that the club would have been in a better position to secure a better deal for Aaron Hickey for example.

If the team performs consistently well, which to their credit Aberdeen have done for a while now, that will likely generate interest in players.

John Souttar aside there's been nobody similar, while they have done the same with McRorie, Ferguson, Shinnie, Hedges even Scott Wright pretty recently. 

There is evidence of a better strategy also based on the past couple of seasons.  Even last season they bring in 3 players that cost some cash, now they are worth at least treble what they have paid.  That can't just be luck.   They done absolutely shite the season before last and still made £10m selling players. 

The rest is if buts and maybes.  There's literally no excuse any more for us to be behind them in anything.  None.

Malinga the Swinga
17 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

We love a love in about other clubs signings on kickback 😂

It's difficult to deny certain posters do seem to have hard-on for Aberdeen and Hibs. 

Must be real miserable ****s who just love complaining 

3 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

John Souttar aside there's been nobody similar, while they have done the same with McRorie, Ferguson, Shinnie, Hedges even Scott Wright pretty recently. 

There is evidence of a better strategy also based on the past couple of seasons.  Even last season they bring in 3 players that cost some cash, now they are worth at least treble what they have paid.  That can't just be luck.   They done absolutely shite the season before last and still made £10m selling players. 

The rest is if buts and maybes.  There's literally no excuse any more for us to be behind them in anything.  None.

Craig Wighton and Lewis Neilson were also attempts at buying prospects from lower Scottish clubs. Misguided or unlucky? Who knows..

Aberdeen have also lost the likes of Jack and Shinnie on bosmans, Maclean and Wright for nominal fees.

Hearts recruitment should be better, we can all agree on that.

jamboinglasgow
37 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Nothing much more cringy than our fans blabbing their mouths off about how shit what, on the face of it, decent signings our rivals make are.

No one is calling Clarkson shit, nor are they saying its not a good move for Aberdeen to sign him permanently. What people are saying is questionable is paying reportedly seven figures for him. 

3 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Craig Wighton and Lewis Neilson were also attempts at buying prospects from lower Scottish clubs. Misguided or unlucky? Who knows..

Aberdeen have also lost the likes of Jack and Shinnie on bosmans, Maclean and Wright for nominal fees.

TBH I think both were worth doing. Should always have an eye on young Scottish players. Its not always going to work, but its good we're at least trying to develop Scottish players. I would like to see better scouting for more players in that kind of category though (i.e young and scottish). Stephen Kelly at Livi is doing really well for example, someone like him would be great to pick up. 

Neilson might also still work out, I don't think he was signed to hit the ground running right away. Next season he could stake his claim! :) 

Naisys Tackle
7 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

👍

Tom Hardy’s Dug
26 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

No one is calling Clarkson shit, nor are they saying its not a good move for Aberdeen to sign him permanently. What people are saying is questionable is paying reportedly seven figures for him. 

Where is that reported? Why react to a fan based rumour?

Appreciate we are all hacked off that we appear to be doing jack shit.

Over the two Premiership seasons since McKinlay and Savage came in we've amassed more points than Aberdeen while pursuing a policy of signing mostly 20-24 year olds. The recruitment definitely hasn't been perfect but the club is already pursuing pretty much the right policy imo, it just doesn't bear fruit instantly.

Ferguson was signed in 2018, McCrorie in 2020. Ramsey and McKenna entered the youth system years ago. The cash they've got for these guys is years in the making. 

Since promotion we've brought in three young Australians, two of whom are now first picks for the national team and played at the WC and one who is a squad regular. Cochrane has gone from being an U23s player to one of our top performers. Oda is starting to make an impression and might be involved in Japan's olympic squad. Sibbick, for his faults, has improved and was attracting bids in January.  We were also close to signing Adebayo who's now an EPL player and there's a good chance Beni would have gone for millions already but for the injury.

I know people will respond casting doubt on the ability of some of these guys, and I don't disagree in some cases, but that's kind of besides the point. I know plenty of Aberdeen fans who don't rate McCrorie that highly but they've got £2/3m for him because they bought him young, played him regularly and now he's on the fringes of the national team. All of the guys I referenced above have improved and raised their profile since coming here and they're now worth more than when we brought them in - in some cases considerably so. It might not be until the next couple of transfer windows that we start seeing a return on that.

In fact, there's some irony in that we almost certainly wouldn't be having this discussion about emulating Aberdeen's transfer policy if we'd deviated from prioritising sell-on value and just brought in a big, dirty jobber centre-back in January.

Edited by DC_92

4 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Over the two Premiership seasons since McKinlay and Savage came in we've amassed more points than Aberdeen while pursuing a policy of signing mostly 20-24 year olds. The recruitment definitely hasn't been perfect but the club is already pursuing pretty much the right policy imo, it just doesn't bear fruit instantly.

Ferguson was signed in 2018, McCrorie in 2020. Ramsey and McKenna entered the youth system years ago. The cash they've got for these guys is years in the making. 

Since promotion we've brought in three young Australians, two of whom are now first picks for the national team and played at the WC and one who is a squad regular. Cochrane has gone from being an U23s player to one of our top performers. Oda is starting to make an impression and might be involved in Japan's olympic squad. Sibbick, for his faults, has improved and was attracting bids in January.  We were also close to signing Adebayo who's now an EPL player and there's a good chance Beni would have gone for millions already but for the injury.

I know people will respond casting doubt on the ability of some of these guys, and I don't disagree in some cases, but that's kind of besides the point. I know plenty of Aberdeen fans who don't rate McCrorie that highly but they've got £2/3m for him because they bought him young, played him regularly and now he's on the fringes of the national team. All of the guys I referenced above have improved and raised their profile since coming here and they're now worth more than when we brought them in - in some cases considerably so. It might not be until the next couple of transfer windows that we start seeing a return on that.

In fact, there's some irony in that we almost certainly wouldn't be having this discussion about emulating Aberdeen's transfer policy if we'd deviated from prioritising sell-on value and just brought in a big, dirty jobber centre-back in January.

Good point, but like ourselves, Aberdeen fans are probably more concerned about losing good players than the money coming in. They got lucky with some of their signings last season no way could they have expected them to play to the level they did. They got Duk from same place Hibs got Tavares, the gulf in class between them 2 last season was unbelievable, surely nobody could have predicted that. But if they lose him and Miovski, can they replace them no matter how much money they bring in? Only certain players will go to Aberdeen.

jamboinglasgow
14 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Great post. Aberdeen have done very well in the amount they have generated from selling players in the last four years. They have done well picking up younger players and playing their youth players. As you point out our recruitment in the last two years means there is no reason we cant do that too. 

I think it can be easy to focus on Ginnelly being without a contract and think that we are poor at retaining players, but the fact he is the only one who we could lose in the summer who we wouldn't is a marked difference to previous years. Even next season there is only two players in their last season who be big loses (Beni and Devlin.) So we have tied players down well.

5 minutes ago, SectionG said:

Good point, but like ourselves, Aberdeen fans are probably more concerned about losing good players than the money coming in. They got lucky with some of their signings last season no way could they have expected them to play to the level they did. They got Duk from same place Hibs got Tavares, the gulf in class between them 2 last season was unbelievable, surely nobody could have predicted that. But if they lose him and Miovski, can they replace them no matter how much money they bring in? Only certain players will go to Aberdeen.

Certainly, Aberdeen fans will be thinking like we were last summer at all these big signings they could make with the money from Europe when the reality wont be as grand as think. But as you say they will be worried at losing the players who were a big reason they got to third and if they go will need replaced. I also see parallels with the Clarkson signing and Cochrane signing for us this summer. A young English player who has a great season on loan, signed up for a long contract to kick on and hopefully bring a big transfer down the line.

10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Great post. Aberdeen have done very well in the amount they have generated from selling players in the last four years. They have done well picking up younger players and playing their youth players. As you point out our recruitment in the last two years means there is no reason we cant do that too. 

I think it can be easy to focus on Ginnelly being without a contract and think that we are poor at retaining players, but the fact he is the only one who we could lose in the summer who we wouldn't is a marked difference to previous years. Even next season there is only two players in their last season who be big loses (Beni and Devlin.) So we have tied players down well.

Certainly, Aberdeen fans will be thinking like we were last summer at all these big signings they could make with the money from Europe when the reality wont be as grand as think. But as you say they will be worried at losing the players who were a big reason they got to third and if they go will need replaced. I also see parallels with the Clarkson signing and Cochrane signing for us this summer. A young English player who has a great season on loan, signed up for a long contract to kick on and hopefully bring a big transfer down the line.

Agree with what you’re saying re Clarkson and Cochrane, and I hope we can keep Cochrane longer than they can Clarkson as at our level and Aberdeen’s level we very rarely replace a really good player with one of better quality struggle to get a similar quality, it’s just the markets we operate in. Hibs and Motherwell will find this trying to replace Nisbet and Van Veen, hence as a fan it’s hard to lose any quality player no matter the money.

Rangers look to be on a signing rampage of multi million pound players, wondering if Celtic signings might largely be a new manager. I can see both being potentially even stronger than last time when they finished 30 plus and 40 plus points ahead of 3rd.

Funny how a lot of people viewed Celtic as almost invincible but Rangers "there for the taking' 

At the end of the day their activities will have little to no bearing on the rest of the league, but in passing it's in everybody's interests they both do well in Europe. Because no one else is likely to and that coefficient is vital. 

45 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Rangers look to be on a signing rampage of multi million pound players, wondering if Celtic signings might largely be a new manager. I can see both being potentially even stronger than last time when they finished 30 plus and 40 plus points ahead of 3rd.

Funny how a lot of people viewed Celtic as almost invincible but Rangers "there for the taking' 

At the end of the day their activities will have little to no bearing on the rest of the league, but in passing it's in everybody's interests they both do well in Europe. Because no one else is likely to and that coefficient is vital. 

Majority on here will still be in a rage when we get absolutely horsed by them.In fact play it tight maybe scrape a draw or narrow defeat and folk will still moan.

The resources are just on another level compared to the rest of us and I get the disappointment and frustration when we are pumped but for some it seems like a big surprise.

Edited by vegas-voss

9 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Majority on here will still be in a rage when we get absolutely horsed by them.In fact play it tight maybe scrape a draw or narrow defeat and folk will still moan.

The resources are just on another level compared to the rest of us and I get the disappointment and frustration when we are pumped but for some it seems like a big surprise.

Yip . Now see if we only had to play each of them twice ? Far less damage to the points gap . We need to get clear in third for a while and then if we some how get back to a proper bigger division , then we can start thinking about those freak seasons where we put in a shot at the title . At the moment if we had one of those freak teams , we would be killed by the head to heads with the old firm and by the final third of the season all the smaller teams would know how to set up to stop our better players 

Not that I do not still want us to assemble a team like that any way . Always nice when it comes along , and we are well over due 

The Treasurer
7 hours ago, SectionG said:

Agree with what you’re saying re Clarkson and Cochrane, and I hope we can keep Cochrane longer than they can Clarkson as at our level and Aberdeen’s level we very rarely replace a really good player with one of better quality struggle to get a similar quality, it’s just the markets we operate in. Hibs and Motherwell will find this trying to replace Nisbet and Van Veen, hence as a fan it’s hard to lose any quality player no matter the money.

hibs played a long period of last season without Nisbet and they really struggled, so hopefully the same will happen next season 

Batistuta87
10 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Came on here to post about this hahahaha. Nearly spat my coffee out when I saw it.

37 in December. Thirty. Seven. 

Scoring for fun in Oz and India but that's probably not difficult. Look at his record over his last 5y or so in England, before moving: 

2014–2017 Cardiff City 23 (3)
2015  Bolton Wanderers (loan) 17 (8)
2015–2016  Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan) 26 (3)
2016–2017  Wigan Athletic (loan) 12 (1)
2017  Bolton Wanderers (loan) 19 (6)
2017–2018 Bolton Wanderers 36 (7)

Hibs absolutely piling it on their fans these last couple of days with a shit sponsor, an apparent shit strip, and now a very shit replacement for arguably their best player. 

🤣

Absolute Scenes

Adam Le Fondre, what a weird target for Hibs.

Surely would have learned their lesson from signing Aging McSpeedy last season

On the one hand his scoring record is really impressive over his long career and has the potential to continue that, if he can get the service.

On the other hand he's going to be 37 soon - would they even get one season out of him then have to look for another striker to replace him, which would be even harder to do if he does have a good season with them?

Surely there are younger options - either way its a "fascinating" transfer story and one i'll be sure to watch closely with popcorn

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

I think some of the justification offered for the rage comes down to well somebody else got a result out of them, as if that's a common occurrence and should somehow be simply replicated.

When they lose the winner usually simply got lucky, the OF can have a rare off day and the lucky beneficiary still often had to survive a siege of their goal to win with a breakaway shot. Can't be replicated.

And you can't just "have a go" against such a gulf in quality, aside from the fact it could be suicidal it's sometimes simply impossible to even try. They can pin a team back more or less into their own half for most of the game, which fans sometimes interpret as a massively defensive and pre arranged strategy. Sometimes it isn't, sometimes it really is a case of can do little to nothing about it.

The same thing happened to them in the CL for the same reason, gulf in quality.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

I think some of the justification offered for the rage comes down to well somebody else got a result out of them, as if that's a common occurrence and should somehow be simply replicated.

When they lose the winner usually simply got lucky, the OF can have a rare off day and the lucky beneficiary still often had to survive a siege of their goal to win with a breakaway shot. Can't be replicated.

And you can't just "have a go" against such a gulf in quality, aside from the fact it could be suicidal it's sometimes simply impossible to even try. They can pin a team back more or less into their own half for most of the game, which fans sometimes interpret as a massively defensive and pre arranged strategy. Sometimes it isn't, sometimes it really is a case of can do little to nothing about it.

Exactly 

I'm quite glad Robbie is away but he so very nearly got it right a few times in the cup.The margin of success and failure in the eyes of fans is so small.

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, RDSK said:

Le Fondre to them is as good as done. Heard they’re looking to take Lewis Fiorini on loan too.

Hope not, Fiorini is good and I like him (also think a relative of his posts on here.)

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Hope not, Fiorini is good and I like him (also think a relative of his posts on here.)

Never heard of him tbh

Decent season in Holland but not catching anyone's eye in the lower leagues down south.

Folk praising Aberdeen's record in the transfer market should remember that that we spent close to £20m redeveloping the stadium.

We're now in a position to start spending fees on players while they need to find £40m+ to replace their crumbling heap.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

You want them to make even more millions so our league becomes more of a farce than it already is? I want them destroyed in Europe so they have zero Champions League/Europa League income and they are saddled with an unsustainable wage bill. Feck the coefficient. 

11 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

You want them to make even more millions so our league becomes more of a farce than it already is? I want them destroyed in Europe so they have zero Champions League/Europa League income and they are saddled with an unsustainable wage bill. Feck the coefficient. 

The problem with that is they don't need the coefficient as much as everyone else does, they can qualify for Europe starting from preliminary rounds.

Rangers did it all the way to the group stages of the Europa league from QR1 Gerrard's first season in charge. The OF would continue to qualify for Europe and coin it in, but no one else would. if no one else can the gap gets even greater.

36 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Had a decent spell at Lincoln the other season.

Absolute Scenes
52 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

when celtic or rangers lose to another team in the league, it is 90% of the time that they have had an off-day. the 4-0 drubbing of them was fantastic result, but also celtic did not play well and we took full advantage. That's not to weaken how big a result that was for us, but it goes to show that other teams just manage to get the OF on an off-day. The Aberdeen result where they beat Rangers 2-0 at home was down to Rangers players lacklustre performance - if you compare to how rangers played at Tynecastle, they could have walked away 10-0 winners.  

I have never seen Celtic or rangers defeated when they played absolutely outstanding. When they turn up, they win. Sad to say but is what it is when their subs are worth more than our entire starting 11. 

the anger is not justified if its based on us losing - but the manner in losing is always the issue. If we can play well i can feel okay about not winning - take the rangers away game at the end of the season. two mistake cost us the win.  Thankfully it didnt really do much to our overall position, as we only drew with Hibs so would have missed out on 3rd anyway. 

2 hours ago, andrew said:

Folk praising Aberdeen's record in the transfer market should remember that that we spent close to £20m redeveloping the stadium.

We're now in a position to start spending fees on players while they need to find £40m+ to replace their crumbling heap.

I'm hoping this will knock the misplaced arrogance of their fanbase and wipe the smile off the face of gobshite Cormack. The sheep have to come home* to baa soon!

*if they have a home :P 

3 hours ago, andrew said:

Aberdeen have talked about replacing/ upgrading there stadium for over 20 years, nothing has been done about it

Don’t hold your breath about them spending any money in the near future on that crumbling wreck

As long as they are spending money on the playing staff there fans will not care a jot what their stadium looks like.

One day they will might have to address the issue, but that could well be 30 years 

jamboinglasgow

Dundee sign a Mexican centre back, love the video showing him action shows him with questionable tackles and overhead kicks.

Gorgierools
26 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Dundee sign a Mexican centre back, love the video showing him action shows him with questionable tackles and overhead kicks.

No way is he staying on the pitch against the Uglies with tackles like that.

Horatio Caine
9 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

No way is he staying on the pitch against the Uglies with tackles like that.

Another Dundee based player to maim our boys. Great....

6 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Another Dundee based player to maim our boys. Great....

Telling off for breaking Shanks leg , while Cochrane gets his marching orders for being sent in to the advertising hoardings 

4 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Aye Don Robertson striking again probs!

That is how it feels when that tragic wee welt takes charge of our games 

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Aren't you forgetting that Dons players downed tools during Goodwin's time too ?   And then the same players showed a remarkable turnaround under Robson.    Other than Shankland/Cochrane/Gordon - and given some poor performances/results prior to our collapse - there's no basis to claim "man for man" we've been far better, imo

Well we also had to contend with a dozen extra fixtures and the injuries and fatigue which resulted from that.  They picked up results, were solid but unspectacular. 

They Very lucky against Dundee United, Ross county, Hibs to pick up results . They fluked the result against rangers massively and to be honest I’m not sure I’ve ever seen us give them more of a battering than the 2-1 game.  And I include the 5-0 in that.

since then they’ve lost devlin, scales, Mcrorie although the latter may return.  In total they had 8 players on loan. 

If we get Gordon, Halkett, Beni and Boyce back at least 3 of them would start for Aberdeen . 

honestly I think man for man 7/8 starters would be from hearts.  Though we have to go prove that .

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Adam Le Fondre and Theo Walcott 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

A damn well fondled thiefs walnuts , more like 

They’ve signed Le fondre. The type of signing that could make them a few quid in years to come.  Really building the club with that one. 

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

A damn well fondled thiefs walnuts , more like 

Pace abusers 101.

Boyle and Theo 🤣🤣 with Youan and Le Fondre as options through centre.

Ohh yah ****er 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, keep the signings coming Hibs and Aberdeen 1.5 mil for Clarkson 🤣🤣🤣.

Celtic paid 1.5 for Reo see the difference 😂😂.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Do not ever ever ever ever ever change Hibs . Hope they are paying the coffin dodging chancer an absolute tipper truck of cash :rofl: 

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Signing middle aged outfield players . Tell me their fans are not happy about this 

It’s incredible. As far as I can tell his last club was Mumbai fc a couple of years ago. 

Hibs forums have linked him every window since day Lee has been there.  

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s incredible. As far as I can tell his last club was Mumbai fc a couple of years ago. 

Hibs forums have linked him every window since day Lee has been there.  

Nah, he returned to his parent club (Sydney FC) after the loan with Mumbai and has been there since. To be fair he had a decent record last year, 10 goals in 18 games. 

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Nah, he returned to his parent club (Sydney FC) after the loan with Mumbai and has been there since. To be fair he had a decent record last year, 10 goals in 18 games. 

Ah I’ve just not read it right. 👍🏻