***Other Clubs Summer Transfer Thread 2023***

tartofmidlothian

The chat from Dons fans is that they've spent 7 figured on Clarkson, ranging from 1m to 1.6m, club record fee paid. Whether true or not, not too sure, inclined to believe it tbh. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

6 hours ago, indianajones said:

500k for a dinosaur isn't bad at all really. 

You have got your self a deal young man 

AB4C53B7-3BE3-4BA3-B370-00BCC78C5DC2.jpeg

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Kendoll said:

The chat from Dons fans is that they've spent 7 figured on Clarkson, ranging from 1m to 1.6m, club record fee paid. Whether true or not, not too sure, inclined to believe it tbh. 

If I am being honest, if they payed that much for him, being the first player since the mid 90s to cost a non-Old Firm Scottish club at least £1m, I dont think they have used their money well. Dont get me wrong, Clarkson is a good player and they could get a good return. But I always felt he was overrated by the fact he could smash in a few long range goals. I think Aberdeen could have spent £1m on a bigger player outside of the UK and got much better value for money.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If I am being honest, if they payed that much for him, being the first player since the mid 90s to cost a non-Old Firm Scottish club at least £1m, I dont think they have used their money well. Dont get me wrong, Clarkson is a good player and they could get a good return. But I always felt he was overrated by the fact he could smash in a few long range goals. I think Aberdeen could have spent £1m on a bigger player outside of the UK and got much better value for money.

Desperately hope they spent that on Clarkson . Add in his wages , and the Pittodrie renovation cash , and they are not looking at better financial results any time soon 

47 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Be amazed if he ever makes it at Liverpool. 

Ferguson could get them a sell on. Vice versa McCrorie money not all theirs 

Same I just don't see how he gets in front of Trent and then he is nothing like a weaker version of Trent either.

Watt-Zeefuik
On 14/06/2023 at 07:17, TheBigO said:

Yep, sure did.  Their recruitment the previous window or two was mad - proper batshit stuff - and have to say, Johnson seemed to do OK in January - wonder if he was given more control?  Did Ian Gordon perhaps let go of the reigns a little in terms of him being head recruity man.

I honestly think it was no coincedene that their fortunes upturned when Porteous left!

IIRC he got a proper DoF or scouting director or equivalent at some point this season in what looked to me like a power move in pushing Ian out of the recruitment frame. He's an angry little troll with a severe Napoleanic complex but he's done a decent job cleaning house over there.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wigan have had their transfer embargo lifted. Aberdeen can sign Shinnie.

Hope the administrator plays hard ball 

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hope the administrator plays hard ball 

won't be the administrator, they've been bought by the guy that owns Wigan Warriors Rugby team. Maloney's job has been made secure, hopefully they want to keep Shinnie and the only reason he was at Aberdeen was due to the wages

Naisys Tackle

Sam Lammers completes Rangers transfer as Michael Beale lands new striker

The attacker signed his £3.5million deal from Atalanta

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

won't be the administrator, they've been bought by the guy that owns Wigan Warriors Rugby team. Maloney's job has been made secure, hopefully they want to keep Shinnie and the only reason he was at Aberdeen was due to the wages

Aye that would do too . Price is two million you ruminant prodding oddballs

4 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Sam Lammers completes Rangers transfer as Michael Beale lands new striker

The attacker signed his £3.5million deal from Atalanta

Loves a tequila that boy 

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, Kendoll said:

Very good signing. Definitely think we need to pull a couple of worldies out of the bag as Aberdeen seem to be doing good business. 

Worldies because Aberdeen sign run of mill players!

There's a suspicious wiff about this thread in last day or so as the shit stirrers and interlopers come out to play.

53 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wigan have had their transfer embargo lifted. Aberdeen can sign Shinnie.

One positive, if you can call it that, is that they're spending a lot of money to essentially maintain their team. Clarkson and Shinnie, we know what they bring and how they play. There isn't anything unexpected here, so on some level, we know what we have to beat. 

Obviously would rather they hadn't signed either, but at least we know what we're dealing with going into next season. 

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

But I always felt he was overrated by the fact he could smash in a few long range goals. I think they could have spent £1m on a bigger player outside of the UK and got much better value for money.

He had six goals and nine assists last season.

That's three more assists than the top Hearts player (McKay) and only Shankland and Ginnelly out scored him.

At only 21 he has his best years ahead of him and he's just signed a four-year deal.

It's a very good deal imo, and the type of signing Hearts should be aiming to make.

4 minutes ago, GC81 said:

That's three more assists than the top Hearts player (McKay) and only Shankland and Ginnelly out scored him.

At only 21 he has his best years ahead of him and he's just signed a four-year deal.

It's a very good deal imo, and the type of signing Hearts should be aiming to make.

He is the sort of player involved a lot and does everything well. But I still think you can put more pressure on players like that. It is interesting neither Dylan Levitt or Jamie McGrath, similar players made much impact after good first seasons.

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He is the sort of player involved a lot and does everything well. But I still think you can put more pressure on players like that. It is interesting neither Dylan Levitt or Jamie McGrath, similar players made much impact after good first seasons.

Thats my view too, look at Barrie McKay and how much his stats came down this season compared to last season. And as you say Levitt. Aberdeen are paying a record amount  (for the post 2000 era) I just have questions.

If Hearts had spent 7 figures on Clarkson, I'd be disappointed. Very little value for money to be had in buying players from the English market most of the time. 

Famous 1874

He is clearly a good player. Solid stats and they’ve got him on a long term deal. 

Was shocking at Tyne in both of the games we beat them. 

Not a signing that should have us worried imo 

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Daily Record reporting Hibs on the verge of signing Theo Walcott. :wtf: :rofl:

Must be a hoax.  Not a ****in chance he would go to the hobos unless he's seriously on the bevvy. 

Edited by Naisys Tackle

Just now, Locky said:

Daily Record reporting Hibs on the verge of signing Theo Walcott. :wtf: :rofl:

Good young player , and one for the future . Hope they are not in for Eoin Jess too , in five years time they will both be world class 

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Good young player , and one for the future . Hope they are not in for Eoin Jess too , in five years time they will both be world class 

:lol: 

I can see it on twitter.   No idea where the source is.   Everton close to resigning TW as well, from Twitter. 

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I can see it on twitter.   No idea where the source is.   Everton close to resigning TW as well, from Twitter. 

Everton want Morelos too.  What are they playing at? 

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Worldies because Aberdeen sign run of mill players!

There's a suspicious wiff about this thread in last day or so as the shit stirrers and interlopers come out to play.

Can assure you I'm no interloper, but given our form in 2023, coupled with losing Ginelly, Aberdeen players having a big upturn in form (albeit I think Robson was a poor choice of manager for them), is it not fair to think we need some very good players in the door? 

You're also kidding yourself if you think Clarkson is run of the mill. A very good player that would be a starter in our team. 

1 hour ago, GC81 said:

A couple of those goals and assists were against Annan Athletic. In the league McKay has 4 goals and 7 assists to Clarkson's 5 goals and 8 assists. Both had decent numbers, but most people agree McKay was a bit disappointing last season.

I think it's probably a good signing for them unfortunately, depending on the fee. I'm not sure the goals and assists reflect a huge amount of influence in open play, though.

I see Dylan Levitt had 5 goals and 3 assists for a crap team despite missing a quarter of the season through injury. A similar type of player to Clarkson and only a year older. With only a year left on his contract, Dundee United almost certainly having to sell him, and his stock a bit lower than last year, now might be a good time to try and get him.

38 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Must be a hoax.  Not a ****in chance he would go to the hobos unless he's seriously on the bevvy. 

Twitter handle is Daily Recrod 🤣

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

If Hearts had spent 7 figures on Clarkson, I'd be disappointed. Very little value for money to be had in buying players from the English market most of the time. 

Reality is we should be looking to replicate a lot of Aberdeen’s methods in the transfer market. They’ve made north of £20M in transfer fees in 5 years. 

9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Reality is we should be looking to replicate a lot of Aberdeen’s methods in the transfer market. They’ve made north of £20M in transfer fees in 5 years. 

To be honest I don't think that there's been any particular method. They've had a good youth set up for a while and a sizeable chunk of the money received is for Ramsay and McKenna, if the method is produce good young players then I agree, Hearts should follow that.

The likes of Cosgrove was sheer luck of Birmingham City being stupid enough to bid a silly amount after a freakish run of goals that he's never replicated at any level since.

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

agreed. At some point you have to take an educated  gambles and pay bigger wages to secure bigger fees.

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

agreed. At some point you have to take an educated  gambles and pay bigger wages to secure bigger fees.

That can very quickly go south and there's far more examples of that causing insolvency at clubs than there is success.

If we're all fans of successful player trading strategies, Hearts should be actively marketing Shankland this summer, given his age and contract status.

Naisys Tackle
12 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

To be honest I don't think that there's been any particular method. They've had a good youth set up for a while and a sizeable chunk of the money received is for Ramsay and McKenna, if the method is produce good young players then I agree, Hearts should follow that.

The likes of Cosgrove was sheer luck of Birmingham City being stupid enough to bid a silly amount after a freakish run of goals that he's never replicated at any level since.

They also sold Ferguson and Mcrorie picking them up from other team in our league on the cheap and have they other two they brought in last summer.  They are doing incredibly well on that aspect and one we should be looking to replicate. 

RustyRightPeg
12 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

They’re better at tying players down into contracts that benefit the club. 

Look at us this summer chasing our tail after our second best player leaves us in limbo. IF Beni or Devlin have a good season, we’ll be in the same situation next summer. 

They have sold 5/6 players and in the same time we sold Hickey. 

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Naisys Tackle said:

They also sold Ferguson and Mcrorie picking them up from other team in our league on the cheap and have they other two they brought in last summer.  They are doing incredibly well on that aspect and one we should be looking to replicate. 

And this. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Nothing much more cringy than our fans blabbing their mouths off about how shit what, on the face of it, decent signings our rivals make are.

7 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Lewis Ferguson is exactly what we did a few years prior with John Souttar, we knocked back substantial bids for Souttar, before he got injured again and of course he eventually ran down his contract.

There's no evidence of any great strategy, it's entirely down to selling at the right time and the players avoiding injury.

If it weren't for a combination of a calamitous 2019/20 and COVID 19, there is every chance that the club would have been in a better position to secure a better deal for Aaron Hickey for example.

If the team performs consistently well, which to their credit Aberdeen have done for a while now, that will likely generate interest in players.

Edited by Martin_T

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Kendoll said:

Can assure you I'm no interloper, but given our form in 2023, coupled with losing Ginelly, Aberdeen players having a big upturn in form (albeit I think Robson was a poor choice of manager for them), is it not fair to think we need some very good players in the door? 

You're also kidding yourself if you think Clarkson is run of the mill. A very good player that would be a starter in our team. 

na. We only finished behind Aberdeen becuase players downed tools.  Man for man we are far better.

add Gordon, Halkett and Beni B (our best player) imo and they’ve lost quite a few.  

I like Clarkson, I’d take him but spectacular goals aside not sure what he is.  Wouldn’t be dropping shanks from the 10 for Clarkson that’s for sure 

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

We love a love in about other clubs signings on kickback 😂

Yup, Hearts horrific injury record has probably cost us decent fees on several occasions in recent years. There was speculation for example that West Ham had bid £2million + for Callum Paterson for example, only for him to get injured for several months.

I would take Clarkson good player,but the Lad has his weaknesses.

And i don't see him being any better than Devlin or Beni.