Hearts in Europe: 23/24 : v Rosenborg - Away leg on Hearts ppv ( updated )

Waterboy

We_are_the_Hearts

You see teams over performing in Europe and we need to hope for that. Seen it a few times with Hearts back in the day. Last year was as pathetic as I have seen Hearts in Europe. Need to be organised, aggressive, play SPL tempo and get in their faces. Have a bit of belief. St Johnstone gave Galatasaray a scare not so long ago

Edited by We_are_the_Hearts

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• JimmyCant

• Waterboy

• Luckies1874

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Not even going to begin trying to decipher all those acronyms and abbreviations and locate us on a spreadsheet on my phone . Seems a decent enough deal going by your post though . Not vastly different to what the situation is now , but slightly better I suppose ? Assuming you mean third and cup remains the same , but fourth ( depending on who wins the cup ) have a tiny slight better deal in qualifying rounds ? Or have I misunderstood your post , and need to suck it up with that brutal spreadsheet 

Pretty much it Sooks. The 4th team (Hearts this year) will get a shot at Europea League Q2, if they lose that they go in to Conference League Q3 where we start this year. Just means that even if we were to lose both ties, well at least we were guaranteed 4 games instead of 2 and some extra cash and fun in the bank. 

Also worth mentioning this is still tbc. 

Edited by Waterboy

2 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Pretty much it Sooks. The 4th team (Hearts this year) will get a shot at Europea League Q2, if they lose that they go in to Conference League Q3 where we start this year. Just means that even if we were to lose both ties, well at least we were guaranteed 4 games instead of 2 and some extra cash and fun in the bank. 

Thanks mate . Saved me a head ache 

27 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

It is TBC and I asked why on the Kassies forum. The format was agreed in May 2022 but doesn't get officially ratified until Spring 2024, bizarrely by which time some leagues will already be over. Apparently there us still a question of exactly how the extra four champions league group places will be awarded I.e. Will it more champions of smaller countries or extra teams from larger countries, but that shouldn't have any significant impact on the Europa League or Conference League.

Was some one not claiming we were going to be worse off for qualification a few weeks ago ? I take it that turned out to be nonsense 

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Was some one not claiming we were going to be worse off for qualification a few weeks ago ? I take it that turned out to be nonsense 

IMO yes, unless UEFA rip up the competition format they approved last year. 

1 minute ago, Flimsy said:

IMO yes, unless UEFA rip up the competition format they approved last year. 

Thought so . Thank you 

39 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

It is TBC and I asked why on the Kassies forum. The format was agreed in May 2022 but doesn't get officially ratified until Spring 2024, bizarrely by which time some leagues will already be over. Apparently there us still a question of exactly how the extra four champions league group places will be awarded I.e. Will it more champions of smaller countries or extra teams from larger countries, but that shouldn't have any significant impact on the Europa League or Conference League.

Good to know 👍

Legia Warsaw added to the list.

Italics = assumed to qualify from Q2

Bold = currently have a high enough coefficient to also be seeded in the following Playoff round - if we beat them, we would therefore be seeded in the Playoff

Club Brugge                   Belgium

FC Basel                          Switzerland

AZ Alkmaar                    Netherlands

AA Gent                           Belgium

Dinamo Kyiv                   Ukraine

Fenerbahce                   Turkey

CFR Cluj                           Romania

Partizan Belgrade        Serbia

PAOK                                 Greece

Maccabi Tel-Aviv         Israel

Viktoria Plzen               Czech Rep

Bodo/Glimt                   Norway

Lech Poznan                Poland

Rapid Wien                   Austria

Hapoel Beer-Sheva     Israel

Djurgardens                 Sweden

APOEL Nicosia             Cyprus

Besiktas                       Turkey

NK Rijeka                      Croatia

FC Arouca                     Portugal

Vitoria Guimaraes         Portugal

FCSB                             Romania

Legia Warsaw               Poland

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

You see teams over performing in Europe and we need to hope for that. Seen it a few times with Hearts back in the day. Last year was as pathetic as I have seen Hearts in Europe. Need to be organised, aggressive, play SPL tempo and get in their faces. Have a bit of belief. St Johnstone gave Galatasaray a scare not so long ago

Look at some big teams we have overcome in the past FC Basel, 1-0 , Bayern Munich 1-0, Atletico Madrid 2-1, 

Slavia Prague, 4-2 and my fav game Loco Leipzig 5-1.

We need to be more positive going in to games against teams i regard beatable ,FC  Zurich was one.

Ricardo Quaresma
44 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Look at some big teams we have overcome in the past FC Basel, 1-0 , Bayern Munich 1-0, Atletico Madrid 2-1, 

Slavia Prague, 4-2 and my fav game Loco Leipzig 5-1.

We need to be more positive going in to games against teams i regard beatable ,FC  Zurich was one.

We beat Basel 2-1 away, bud; we beat Bordeaux 1-0 away; maybe who you're thinking of

4 hours ago, Waterboy said:

Sorry Bobby, I'm thick at all this.  So we're guaranteed 4 games? (tbc but likely?).

Essentially we get a shot at qualifying for EL AND ECL?  Hadn't realised that, tbh.  Thought we had two rounds to get through but lose first game, yer oot!

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Sorry Bobby, I'm thick at all this.  So we're guaranteed 4 games? (tbc but likely?).

Essentially we get a shot at qualifying for EL AND ECL?  Hadn't realised that, tbh.  Thought we had two rounds to get through but lose first game, yer oot!

He’s talking about the season after next assuming we finish 3rd next season. 

12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah those particular posts were about season 24/45.

On 05/06/2023 at 00:27, Jim_Duncan said:

Exactly. Anyone fearing the draw can hand in their credentials on the way out. 

Way off topic but I'm interested in your username. I only know of 3 Jim Duncan's, the building owner in Towering Inferno, an ex-referee from Gorebridge and my dad. 😁

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Way off topic but I'm interested in your username. I only know of 3 Jim Duncan's, the building owner in Towering Inferno, an ex-referee from Gorebridge and my dad. 😁

I can successfully claim that I'm neither of the first two; to discuss the third would be to engage in idle speculation that would do nothing for your mother's reputation, sir.

9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I can successfully claim that I'm neither of the first two; to discuss the third would be to engage in idle speculation that would do nothing for your mother's reputation, sir.

Let's not go there then and forever speculate and wonder 👍

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Let's not go there then and forever speculate and wonder 👍

Sure thing, son. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Some tough gigs, however anything out of Europe is a bonus. In the event it is a difficult tie of the low percentile nature, prefer to have home game first and avoid anti climax.

Remember though St Johnstone did draw away to Galatasaray before succumbing at home, strange things can happen

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Some tough gigs, however anything out of Europe is a bonus. In the event it is a difficult tie of the low percentile nature, prefer to have home game first and avoid anti climax.

Remember though St Johnstone did draw away to Galatasaray before succumbing at home, strange things can happen

True about strange things happening. RFS drew with both Fiorentina and the Istanbul mob. 

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

True about strange things happening. RFS drew with both Fiorentina and the Istanbul mob. 

aye that was a strange couple of draws.

Jim_Duncan
43 minutes ago, graygo said:

I don't like you, there I've said it.

Jeez man, was just a bit of jesting. Didn’t realise things were so tense around these ‘ere parts. 

3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Jeez man, was just a bit of jesting. Didn’t realise things were so tense around these ‘ere parts. 

You come on here, having paid heehaw child support toward Graygo, not so much as a birthday caird, and give it big licks.  What do you expect.  It was us on jkb who tucked him back in efter his nightmares, no you!

(unless you're the ref of the towering inferno guy, in which case i apologise but you sound just as dreadful either way - either GFA tosser or a guy with scant regard for building regs)

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You come on here, having paid heehaw child support toward Graygo, not so much as a birthday caird, and give it big licks.  What do you expect.  It was us on jkb who tucked him back in efter his nightmares, no you!

(unless you're the ref of the towering inferno guy, in which case i apologise but you sound just as dreadful either way - either GFA tosser or a guy with scant regard for building regs)

:spoton:

Jim_Duncan
22 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

16 minutes ago, graygo said:

:spoton:

This has gone off-topic and ever so slightly weird, gentlemen. I'll be on my way.

25 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

This has gone off-topic and ever so slightly weird, gentlemen. I'll be on my way.

Typical, abandonment again.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Do come back Jim.  We are a a friendly bunch. Well most of us.  

FC693811-26EC-470C-AC03-AE2C29D16D3C.png

2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

please don't hit the High Plains , drifter . I know who you are :greggy:

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

please don't hit the High Plains , drifter . I know who you are :greggy:

Yes, you do. Take care.

Jim_Duncan
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Do come back Jim.  We are a a friendly bunch. Well most of us.  

FC693811-26EC-470C-AC03-AE2C29D16D3C.png

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You’re a condescending sod, aren’t you Jimbo?

I’ll take your word for it Judyx3, despite the evidence to the contrary. 

Seriously, and back on topic now: I’d love for us to make the group stages this year ‘the hard way’ after taking the parachute route last year. Is the money Aberdeen would be due split with us and/or Hibs if we make it, too?

JudyJudyJudy
56 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Seriously, and back on topic now: I’d love for us to make the group stages this year ‘the hard way’ after taking the parachute route last year. Is the money Aberdeen would be due split with us and/or Hibs if we make it, too?

👍😂😎

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Just the TV pot; about £500K, maybe more this year (10% more or so)

Jim_Duncan
12 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Just the TV pot; about £500K, maybe more this year (10% more or so)

Thanks. 

So making the group stages would be great, especially if we don’t cash in on any of our valuable players this summer. 

Ricardo Quaresma
6 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Thanks. 

So making the group stages would be great, especially if we don’t cash in on any of our valuable players this summer. 

Well, I think we either have to be fortunate with the draw; as has been stated already on this thread, we would gain a great chance IF we draw a team in what could be called the 'Goldilocks' zone; or gubb a really good team!

A team with a decent coefficient so upon eliminating them, we carry their coefficient through to the play-off round, it being a high enough number to make us seeded

Bad news is there's few (3 or 4 right now) in that position but if we draw any team with higher numbers, they're likely to have so much resources that they belong in pot 1 EL or pot 3 CL, with a 55+ coefficient

I'll have a look shortly, at the current possible opponents

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Ricardo Quaresma

CFR Cluj ** Rom 27.500
Partizan Belgrade Srb 25.500
PAOK Thessaloniki ** Gre 25.000
Maccabi Tel-Aviv ** Isr 24.000
Viktoria Plzen ** Cze 22.000
Bodø/Glimt ** Nor 20.000
Lech Poznan ** Pol  19.000

These lot are in the range needed for play-off round seeds and I've not included the huge clubs above them

Rather not get Partizan Belgrade or Bodø/Glimt out of those, but CFR Cluj and Lech Poznan have been dragging their asses recently and the rest I'd say we have a fair crack of the whip at the moment

Seeding for the play-off round should be around 19-20 points

If we don't get this, as someone mentioned earlier, juventus just rocked up and there's lots of other very tough teams

PapaShango
12 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

CFR Cluj ** Rom 27.500
Partizan Belgrade Srb 25.500
PAOK Thessaloniki ** Gre 25.000
Maccabi Tel-Aviv ** Isr 24.000
Viktoria Plzen ** Cze 22.000
Bodø/Glimt ** Nor 20.000
Lech Poznan ** Pol  19.000

These lot are in the range needed for play-off round seeds and I've not included the huge clubs above them

Rather not get Partizan Belgrade or Bodø/Glimt out of those, but CFR Cluj and Lech Poznan have been dragging their asses recently and the rest I'd say we have a fair crack of the whip at the moment

Seeding for the play-off round should be around 19-20 points

If we don't get this, as someone mentioned earlier, juventus just rocked up and there's lots of other very tough teams

I'm looking for a decent trip out of it to be honest as I think whoever we get we are right up against it over two legs. Not saying we can't do it but we would need to play to the top of our game to get a result. Hopefully the experience gleaned last year puts us in a good way for this season. 

Ricardo Quaresma
54 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I'm looking for a decent trip out of it to be honest as I think whoever we get we are right up against it over two legs. Not saying we can't do it but we would need to play to the top of our game to get a result. Hopefully the experience gleaned last year puts us in a good way for this season

Agree on both these points; whoever we get will be hungry, but for the first time since probably Levein & Braga, we'll be hungry too; let's just hope the draw is not some team that flunked their way there, like Fiorentina

CSKA Sofia added to the list. 3 more to go.

Italics = assumed to qualify from Q2

Bold = currently have a high enough coefficient to also be seeded in the following Playoff round - if we beat them, we would therefore be seeded in the Playoff

Club Brugge                   Belgium

FC Basel                          Switzerland

AZ Alkmaar                    Netherlands

AA Gent                           Belgium

Dinamo Kyiv                   Ukraine

Fenerbahce                   Turkey

CFR Cluj                           Romania

Partizan Belgrade        Serbia

PAOK                                 Greece

Maccabi Tel-Aviv         Israel

Viktoria Plzen               Czech Rep

Bodo/Glimt                   Norway

Lech Poznan                Poland

Rapid Wien                   Austria

Hapoel Beer-Sheva     Israel

Djurgardens                 Sweden

APOEL Nicosia             Cyprus

Besiktas                       Turkey

CSKA Sofia                   Bulgaria

NK Rijeka                      Croatia

FC Arouca                     Portugal

Vitoria Guimaraes         Portugal

FCSB                             Romania

Legia Warsaw               Poland

Here are Hibs potential opponents in Q2 as it stands for anyone interested.

image.png.fb3426b2f6309abefac38030a9974cfb.png

And Aberdeen's possible opponents in the Europa League Playoff as it stands, with 5 others still to be added.

image.png.9756d5f8d460c6ed847a618d9c1b58d5.png

Ricardo Quaresma

Fancy Cluj, Paulo managed them and they play in similar colours to us

Sure they were a bit of a basket case when he was there

Nice coefficient for us to borrow for a bit 🙂

IveSeenTheLight
On 08/06/2023 at 13:08, Waterboy said:

And Aberdeen's possible opponents in the Europa League Playoff as it stands, with 5 others still to be added.

image.png.9756d5f8d460c6ed847a618d9c1b58d5.png

Going by the co-efficient and expected progression, our likely draw is from these teams

Slavia Praha Cze
Olympiakos Gre
FK Astana Kaz
Maccabi Haifa Isr
Lugano Sui
Zalgiris Vilnius Lit 
HJK Helsinki Fin 
Flora Tallinn Est

FC Midtjylland added now to possible opponents for us. Decent European calibre but similar to Basel and Cluj have had a poor season domestically, so a better one to get. Would still be big underdogs mind you. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts in Europe: 23/24 : v Rosenborg - Away leg on Hearts ppv ( updated )