Hearts in Europe: 23/24 : v Rosenborg - Away leg on Hearts ppv ( updated )

Waterboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• JimmyCant

• Waterboy

• Luckies1874

south morocco
3 minutes ago, Jambo4050 said:

Hearts tv not working on the Firestick - anyone know if any international channels are showing it?

Search cup games

Good result.Not great from us but before the game a draw or a 1 goal deficit I would have been happy with.

We can definitely go through.

I'm going to be honest, it's taken me a few hours to calm down after that performance. First of all, I knew this was going to happen with new signings not being eligible for Europe. It was my biggest concern and it came true. FFS I'm raging about it. 

About the game, the first half was woeful. It's almost as if Hearts wanted to be beaten. Slow, pedestrian and zero fight for second balls. The whole team were terrible in the first 45 minutes.

I've got serious concerns about 3 players in this game:

Beni (or, why did the management team select him to play): this has been said on various other threads but why on earth was Beni selected to start this game? I have zero footballing managerial experience and my first thought was... "on no"! Is he really ready for such an intense game so early into his comeback? Why not start with Haring and give Beni 20 mins at the end? I'm still scratching my head.

Then comes Alan Forrest. He was rubbish against St Johnstone and has been rubbish in most pre-season games yet the management team continue to select him. This was an important game and we received the usual anonymous display from him. Yes, he had a poor shot on target (the only shot I think in the first half) but again, why was he starting? A serious question: is Alan Forrest really good enough for Hearts? I don't question his work rate, but his ability. 

Zander Clark: I find his positioning incredibly poor and oftentimes he makes no effort or the effort he does make is just terrible judgement. I know that most times it isn't the keepers fault but if you watch the first goal back on replay, and focus on Zander Clark, you have to ask why didn't he at least make an effort for that! He has done this numerous times and it's starting to do my head in! 

The second half was better and I'm super happy we got a goal. Another serious question: why was Liam Boyce not brought on earlier? Once again, he came on and changed the game positively. We now go into the next leg with a strand of hope. I'm not happy with the management team - Denholm did well when he came on but should we really be bringing on players with zero first team experience into a game of such importance?

Edited by Mr Kipling

I think we share a lot of those frustrations. We are playing right now no where near ready for the season due to the late signings (although they all look good) and many others not looking fit.

33 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

I'm going to be honest, it's taken me a few hours to calm down after that performance. First of all, I knew this was going to happen with new signings not being eligible for Europe. It was my biggest concern and it came true. FFS I'm raging about it. 

About the game, the first half was woeful. It's almost as if Hearts wanted to be beaten. Slow, pedestrian and zero fight for second balls. The whole team were terrible in the first 45 minutes.

I've got serious concerns about 3 players in this game:

Beni (or, why did the management team select him to play): this has been said on various other threads but why on earth was Beni selected to start this game? I have zero footballing managerial experience and my first thought was... "on no"! Is he really ready for such an intense game so early into his comeback? Why not start with Haring and give Beni 20 mins at the end? I'm still scratching my head.

Then comes Alan Forrest. He was rubbish against St Johnstone and has been rubbish in most pre-season games yet the management team continue to select him. This was an important game and we received the usual anonymous display from him. Yes, he had a poor shot on target (the only shot I think in the first half) but again, why was he starting? A serious question: is Alan Forrest really good enough for Hearts? I don't question his work rate, but his ability. 

Zander Clark: I find his positioning incredibly poor and oftentimes he makes no effort or the effort he does make is just terrible judgement. I know that most times it isn't the keepers fault but if you watch the first goal back on replay, and focus on Zander Clark, you have to ask why didn't he at least make an effort for that! He has done this numerous times and it's starting to do my head in! 

The second half was better and I'm super happy we got a goal. Another serious question: why was Liam Boyce not brought on earlier? Once again, he came on and changed the game positively. We now go into the next leg with a strand of hope. I'm not happy with the management team - Denholm did well when he came on but should we really be bringing on players with zero first team experience into a game of such importance?

We need to learn quickly though. Most teams will put two banks of fours up against us, we must get away from this slow, pointless recycling of the ball along the back four and the two CMs. We did it all last season and we have done it in the first 60 mins of both games this season.  

20 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We can expect a nice warm welcome in Split if we make it 

Think PAOK now decent favourites after the 0-0 last night.

On 09/08/2023 at 18:23, Wee Mikey said:

There has to be a Norwegian Wood joke to be had ... 🤭

I went too far on the Photo thread for reasons nothing to do with you or your posts. Took it personally and lashed out. My sincere apologies

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I went too far on the Photo thread for reasons nothing to do with you or your posts. Took it personally and lashed out. My sincere apologies

No problem, Jimmy.

I'll think twice about starting a 'Best Split/PAOK Photos' thread if ... or rather when the time comes.

It, honestly, was only supposed to be a jocular thread for folks to post fab photos, but it all got out of hand.

Live & learn etc.

❤️❤️G❤️

periodictabledancer
8 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We can expect a nice warm welcome in Split if we make it 

In the early 2000s Croatia played Italy in a Euros / WC qualifier and there was loads of fighting/stabbings which the Croatians were on the wrong end of. The Return game was to be played in Split - the Italian fans stayed away.

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

No problem, Jimmy.

I'll think twice about starting a 'Best Split/PAOK Photos' thread if ... or rather when the time comes.

It, honestly, was only supposed to be a jocular thread for folks to post fab photos, but it all got out of hand.

Live & learn etc.

❤️❤️G❤️

That was the thing that got me, you put up a pic and I expected many more would follow but one or two tools knacked it. Shame

On 10/08/2023 at 08:51, Kjello said:

Well... Apparently there's a railway bridge that has partly collapsed roughly midway between Oslo and Trondheim. I strongly doubt they'll be able to fix that till Saturday. 

Bridge seems totally gone now.

I got my refund easily enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/14/storm-hans-railway-bridge-collapses-in-southern-norway

Screenshot_20230815_114043_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.102ac9a1aafe1a57839f6243512b49a3.jpg

Has it been confirmed anywhere what will happen if both us and Hibs make it to the next round with both of us being drawn at home on the same day? Will their game be moved due to us having priority or will their tie be moved away first or what? Not seen it anywhere 

3 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

Has it been confirmed anywhere what will happen if both us and Hibs make it to the next round with both of us being drawn at home on the same day? Will their game be moved due to us having priority or will their tie be moved away first or what? Not seen it anywhere 

Only change will be the night of the respective home games.

Hibs likely to play Weds night. 
No chance fixtures will be reversed 

Just now, PTBCAL said:

Only change will be the night of the respective home games.

Hibs likely to play Weds night. 
No chance fixtures will be reversed 

Daily record article I just read said our fixture would be reversed because Hibs came out the draw first so we’d be away first, but UEFA rules dictate the highest ranked team (which is us) take priority. It was all meant to be confirmed by UEFA within 2-3 days but that was over a week ago now so who knows! 

8 hours ago, FionaHmfc said:

Daily record article I just read said our fixture would be reversed because Hibs came out the draw first so we’d be away first, but UEFA rules dictate the highest ranked team (which is us) take priority. It was all meant to be confirmed by UEFA within 2-3 days but that was over a week ago now so who knows! 

Hibs CEO confirmed to their fans that it won’t be reversed but likely to change the date if we both qualify 

On 16/08/2023 at 06:26, PTBCAL said:

Hibs CEO confirmed to their fans that it won’t be reversed but likely to change the date if we both qualify 

So, we know for sure that the away leg will be the 2nd leg (if we get through) on the 31st August?

On 07/08/2023 at 13:31, JimmyCant said:

It’s a city clash. They’ll avoid having 2 sets of away fans in the same city in the same week. Happened to us previously with Prague. There is also a possible city clash in Thessaloniki 

On 07/08/2023 at 13:33, Luckies1874 said:

Doubt it. City clash just means drawn at home the same night. 

On 07/08/2023 at 13:43, JimmyCant said:

Okay doubt it all you want , but they won’t want Villa fans and Split/Paok fans in Edinburgh the same week

:verysmug:

Hibs v Villa 5.45 Wednesday

Hearts v PAOK 7.45 Thursday

Update on club coefficients after last weeks games.

- No change for Rangers, who are still guaranteed Europa League groups as a minimum.

- Hearts and Hibs both move from 2.0pts to 2.5pts as a result of qualifying for the Playoff round.  If either were to qualify for the groups, they would still only be guaranteed 2.5pts.  Would need at least a win and a draw in the groups to earn anything more than 2.5pts now.

(Individual qualifying results contribute to Scotland's coefficient but not club coefficients, there's a separate thread for that).

At this moment in time, Hearts have earned enough points to be given their own coefficient in next year's competitions - but the Scotland coefficient will likely increase as more games are played, so it's unlikely to still be the case by the time all of Scotland's teams have exited Europe.

image.thumb.png.29fc26f44e31430043361e1c3a775839.png