Unpopular Opinion(s)

Konrad von Carstein

55 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Spot on. Folk slate America and the UK, yet folk risk their lives to come here and there. 

America (USA that is, S. America is magic) is pretty guff in fairness. I thought I was being xenophobic but spent two weeks there recently and it confirmed my thoughts. Crackheads everywhere, intense racial issues, awful customer service, disgusting food portions, rampant crime, eye watering homelessness and one that surprised me for leader of the free world...lots of elements of discouragement to think for yourself. Jay walking, constant noise as a distraction, rampant patriotism; it actually minded me of China a bit but without the charm.

Don't get me wrong there's loads of wonderful people and things there. I absolutely loved my time there, but my word it has some serious issues to sort out. I can sort of see how a 'MAGA' movement was able to happen, it felt like it was on its knees a bit.

Edited by Taffin

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Konrad von Carstein

• il Duce McTarkin

• Dick Dastardly

On 24/04/2023 at 13:42, i8hibsh said:

Zelenskyy is a crook

Motorbikes are for wanks

All Deliveroo (and the others) cyclists should be clotheslined

Jazz music is utterly shite

Acting is not art

A good singing voice does not make you talented

Net zero is a scam

Just because you work for the NHS it does not make you a hero

Teachers are good for nothing lazy *****

Princess Diana and Mother Theresa were frauds

BLM are the biggest bunch of racists scoundrels since the Nazis

Contrary to almost every advert made in the past 5 years, a circle of friends and married couples tend to be within their own race

The British Empire has way more to be proud of than ashamed of

Nigel Farage is a good *****

A man can act like a woman but he will never ever be a woman

The manifesto of the Patriotic Alternative. I see you were in Renfrewshire, boring everyone about non white immigrants the other day. 

You know that sort of hospitality goes a long way, especially if something happens on these islands and every ***** days na, you're alright, your not evacuating over here, get back in your dinghies, you smelly scummy racist Britnats. You know, like a catastrophic flood or a nuclear accident. 

That British empire one, that's a better. :rofl:In fact you should be on stage at a comedy club gig, instead of on stage at a far right neo Nazi gig. Mind you don't kick someone in the face, while you walk down the road. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

The manifesto of the Patriotic Alternative. I see you were in Renfrewshire, boring everyone about non white immigrants the other day. 

You know that sort of hospitality goes a long way, especially if something happens on these islands and every ***** days na, you're alright, your not evacuating over here, get back in your dinghies, you smelly scummy racist Britnats. You know, like a catastrophic flood or a nuclear accident. 

That British empire one, that's a better. :rofl:In fact you should be on stage at a comedy club gig, instead of on stage at a far right neo Nazi gig. Mind you don't kick someone in the face, while you walk down the road. 

"Nigel Farage is a good *****" 🤪

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:rofl:The word of a Troll or a racist .

9 hours ago, Taffin said:

America (USA that is, S. America is magic) is pretty guff in fairness. I thought I was being xenophobic but spent two weeks there recently and it confirmed my thoughts. Crackheads everywhere, intense racial issues, awful customer service, disgusting food portions, rampant crime, eye watering homelessness and one that surprised me for leader of the free world...lots of elements of discouragement to think for yourself. Jay walking, constant noise as a distraction, rampant patriotism; it actually minded me of China a bit but without the charm.

Don't get me wrong there's loads of wonderful people and things there. I absolutely loved my time there, but my word it has some serious issues to sort out. I can sort of see how a 'MAGA' movement was able to happen, it felt like it was on its knees a bit.

Take that back. The food portions are fantastic, Free refills aswell. It's better than here where you get charged £3 for a glass of coke with your kids meal.

18 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Take that back. The food portions are fantastic, Free refills aswell. It's better than here where you get charged £3 for a glass of coke with your kids meal.

The free refills are great, but even then there's a dearth of coke zero etc. Always regular or diet.

I stand firm on the food portions. They charge a fortune for a giant meal that would feed a hippo.

Shooter McGavin
37 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

The beatles are shite.

You listen to the early Beatles albums, and it’s absolute p*** 😂

They just came around at the right time, and they did evolve tbf.

10 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

Macaroni & cheese is consumed by deviants and should be outlawed.  Utter minging stuff.

Obviously never tried mine then.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I had a shite that was better than 5 Star

You must have had a shite that was better than Bros as well, surely? 

New Town Loafer
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Are you mentally unwell?

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You must have had a shite that was better than Bros as well, surely? 

Fair to say I've dropped the boy on occasion

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Obviously never tried mine then.

With the greatest of respect I wouldn’t go within 100 yards of it. Feckin awful stuff

Tynecastle_Park
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

I've been banned far too many times because of that poster, needless to say I will refrain from saying anything other than anyone who says "Nigel Farage is a good *****" is definitely a virgin

Konrad von Carstein

Unpopular in some of the darker corners on here...

Scotland should cast aside the shackles of Westminster and become independent. 

:euro:

14 hours ago, Ked said:

The United Kingdom is lawfully and essentially a just and wonderful place to live.

All our European places are wonderful.  It's just that some of them are wonderful in, er, different ways.  :whistling: 

Portable Badger
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Unpopular in some of the darker corners on here...

Scotland should cast aside the shackles of Westminster and become independent. 

:euro:

Only way I could countenance that is if there is a massive majority Scottish Conservative Govt at Holyrood 

14 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else 

Well said.

:laugh: 

13 hours ago, jonesy said:

Having lived in both the US and China, I’d have to say that there are more similarities (and I dare say you could add Russia and Brazil into that mix) than differences.

You don’t hear about the racial issues in China because their marginalised people don’t have a voice.

America’s brand of runaway capitalism needs to create people like the crackheads and losers you describe, sadly. You’ve still got Latinos risking their lives to get in, though. Plus Indians and Romanians if recent tragic stories are anything to go by.

They're not risking their lives because America (or Britain, or Europe) is so wonderful.  They're risking their lives because they live in shiteholes.  If our argument is that we're wonderful because somewhere else is a shitehole, chances are that we've set ourselves a very low threshold for success.

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

If our argument is that we're wonderful because somewhere else is a shitehole, chances are that we've set ourselves a very low threshold for success.

Is that not the very argument they are using, to come to the so called richer/better countries?

Just now, John Findlay said:

Is that not the very argument they are using, to come to the so called richer/better countries?

Who cares what argument anyone else is using?  Some people on this thread seem to think that we should be pleased with ourselves because people from shiteholes want to live here instead of in a shitehoe.  That's "us", not "them" - and we need to set ourselves higher standards.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Who cares what argument anyone else is using?  Some people on this thread seem to think that we should be pleased with ourselves because people from shiteholes want to live here instead of in a shitehoe.  That's "us", not "them" - and we need to set ourselves higher standards.

When are you leaving Eire? 😉

34 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ooh, someone's released a cat among the pigeons.

'n'all'n'anyways, the point still stands.  There's no real value in saying that Britain (or anywhere else in the developed world) is great because people from shiteholes want to live there.  We already know that people from shiteholes want to leave them.  The real value lies in saying that we want to be better than we are, and we should want to improve the places we already live in, even if we already quite like them.

Sounds like that should actually be a popular opinion, but I have a feeling that the Karens, Phil Mitchells and assorted political flotsam and jetsam will find reason to differ.

Dick Dastardly
39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Straight out of the Chocolate Box

19 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

They're not risking their lives because America (or Britain, or Europe) is so wonderful.  They're risking their lives because they live in shiteholes.  If our argument is that we're wonderful because somewhere else is a shitehole, chances are that we've set ourselves a very low threshold for success.

Wonderful in what sense? Surely the wonderfulness of a country is only relative to the context of other countries.

That doesn't mean the can't, don't want to be better. I think it's a fair point Jonesy made, despite people slating these countries, for many they still want to come and live here. Interestingly I don't recall him ever saying it was because they were wonderful.

27 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

And by comparison those places they risk their lives to get to are wonderful. 

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good Uly. There's a hell of a lot to be said for the West. We can always improve but in my view Western Europe in particular is one of the best places you could have the fortune to be born in. We're some of the luckiest, most privileged humans to ever exist. 

Edited by BlueRiver

Just now, Taffin said:

Wonderful in what sense? Surely the wonderfulness of a country is only relative to the context of other countries.

That doesn't mean the can't, don't want to be better. I think it's a fair point Jonesy made, despite people slating these countries, for many they still want to come and live here. Interestingly I don't recall him ever saying it was because they were wonderful.

Britain isn't a shitehole, but it could be a lot better than it is.  The same can be said of every other developed country on the planet.  Even developed countries have big problems and need to develop more.  The trouble is that when people say that, a common response is "everyone else wants to come and live here".  But the notion that "people wanna come and live here" is politically dangerous.  It becomes an excuse to lazily accept what's wrong in society, or to not attempt to fix it, because other places are worse.  That's not what jonesy was saying, and it's not what Ked meant, but it's too easy to think that way.  It's a lazy trope that doesn't help with clear-headed political thinking.

6 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good Uly. There's a hell of a lot to be said for the West. We can always improve but in my view Western Europe in particular is one of the best places you could have the fortune to be born in. We're some of the luckiest, most privileged humans to ever exist. 

Agreed.  But we have a responsibility to make sure that the generations to come after us are luckier and more privileged than we are, and we are not succeeding.

15 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

'n'all'n'anyways, the point still stands.  There's no real value in saying that Britain (or anywhere else in the developed world) is great because people from shiteholes want to live there.  We already know that people from shiteholes want to leave them.  The real value lies in saying that we want to be better than we are, and we should want to improve the places we already live in, even if we already quite like them.

Sounds like that should actually be a popular opinion, but I have a feeling that the Karens, Phil Mitchells and assorted political flotsam and jetsam will find reason to differ.

It's not a bad opinion of course but if you fall into the trap like so many do of downing these countries whilst insisting they improve don't be surprised if you lose plenty of folk you'd have otherwise convinced. 

I could point out your house would benefit from some work in a polite and constructive way. If I declare it's a shitehole and needs rebuilt constantly you'd tell me to **** off quite rightly. 

Konrad von Carstein
51 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Only way I could countenance that is if there is a massive majority Scottish Conservative Govt at Holyrood 

:kirklol:

John Findlay
47 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

And go where? :eek: 

Here, Scotland the land of Milk and Honey😉

30 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

It's not a bad opinion of course but if you fall into the trap like so many do of downing these countries whilst insisting they improve don't be surprised if you lose plenty of folk you'd have otherwise convinced. 

I could point out your house would benefit from some work in a polite and constructive way. If I declare it's a shitehole and needs rebuilt constantly you'd tell me to **** off quite rightly. 

Fair comment, but it is worth noting that the "everyone else wants to live here" argument is usually deployed by the right - which means it's frequently used to promote political conservatism and stasis, particularly in the Anglophone world. 

Also, some people out there might be calling Britain a shitehole and some might be constructively pointing out the benefits of getting some work done on the house - but the right is too keen to ignore the fixing that needs to be done.

Finally, speaking as an outsider, I could politely and constructively point out that the UK's house could use a wee bit of work, or I could rant and rave and moan.  But rather than do either of those, what I'd really like to mention is that it would be nice if the rest of the street could count on the UK to be a better neighbour than it's been for a while.  After all, this is a pretty decent part of town to live in, but we have common problems we need to solve, and there are unpleasant elements in other parts of town who are trying to muscle in and make things difficult for us.

Edited by Ulysses

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Fewer Hibbies in Dublin.  :laugh: 

Fewer everything in Dublin😃

11 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Fair comment, but it is worth noting that the "everyone else wants to live here" argument is usually deployed by the right - which means it's frequently used to promote political conservatism and stasis, particularly in the Anglophone world. 

Also, some people out there might be calling Britain a shitehole and some might be constructively pointing out the benefits of getting some work done on the house - but the right is too keen to ignore the fixing that needs to be done.

Finally, speaking as an outsider, I could politely and constructively point out that the UK's house could use a wee bit of work, or I could rant and rave and moan.  But rather than do either of those, what I'd really like to mention is that it would be nice if the rest of the street could count on the UK to be a better neighbour than it's been for a while.  After all, this is a pretty decent part of town to live in, but we have common problems we need to solve, and there are unpleasant elements in other parts of town who are trying to muscle in and make things difficult for us.

I don't think there's much objectionable about what you say. 

I do think the left would benefit from a bit of a deep breath sometimes and an acknowledgement of just how far we've come though to essentially take the sails out of some of those right wing talking points. Like it or not - people tend to be quite reactionary when things they love are constantly downed and too much political rhetoric on the left almost amounts to self-flaggelation. Kier Starmer seems to recognise this at least. His predecessor's shadow cabinet maybe less so. 

Nothing wrong with the last part. I was partial to it myself when I was miffed at how small a role many European countries wish to take in their own defence.  If anything I always quite enjoy your perspective on things affecting the UK. Large part of that is because you are quite even handed and sober in your assessments of things. 

il Duce McTarkin
21 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

:)

Jeffros Furios

From McLeod St the main stand and the Plaza look shit .

Leith walk is better than Gorgie/ Dalry Road .

Infact Gorgie is probably the biggest shithole in the City .

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

Nothing wrong with the last part. I was partial to it myself when I was miffed at how small a role many European countries wish to take in their own defence.  If anything I always quite enjoy your perspective on things affecting the UK. Large part of that is because you are quite even handed and sober in your assessments of things. 

What is this "sober" of which you speak?  :confused: :laugh: 

49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I wasn’t including Ireland 😜

The horrible truth that is slowly dawning on me is that in the next 40-50 years, Ireland's biggest plus factor as a place to live might well be the thing I most hate about the place - the ****ing poxy weather.

drizzle2.jpg?w=640%26h=427&f=1&nofb=1&ip

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
23 hours ago, benny said:

Both were good in their day.

Only fools should have finished after the auction and Monty Python is outdated nonsense now.

OFAH started to go downhill when they settled down. By the time Damien was born, it was well passed its sell by date (IMO).

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

OFAH started to go downhill when they settled down. By the time Damien was born, it was well passed its sell by date (IMO).

I missed benny's original post.  OFAH no longer does it for me (maybe I've seen it too much), and Monty Python is so outdated it's unreal.

It's completely acceptable to wear a football shirt regardless of your age*

* Never in a formal environment, full kit is completely unacceptable for adults.

New Town Loafer
18 minutes ago, dumpson said:

It's completely acceptable to wear a football shirt regardless of your age

Unpopular indeed. I think it's cretinous behaviour.