Unpopular Opinion(s)

Konrad von Carstein

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

It was just an example of a supermajority at work in our democracy. 

it was just an extreme example. Laws can be changed via votes and things like referendum. So it’s a pretty important principal in a democracy imo. There are some core value which shouldn’t be changed; that’s main reason they are used in real world. (Hearts will always play in maroon type thing)

The issue is the majority can justify disadvantage minorities via the will of the people argument. 

No in that situation I would say a 50/50 vote would make sense. If it was to say remove the rights of gay marriage, I would argue in would need to be 90/10 as you are removing a fundemtal right from people and discriminating should be a near uniamous devision. 

As I say, my opinion on then would be on the individual circumstance. I don’t think a one size all approach is appropriate.

Fair enough 👍

Let’s be honest this is a pretty dull chat 😂 My bad. 

Anyway, I’m off to the course for a little bit of practice. Work those wedges. You should maybe try it, would really benefit your game. That’s my latest unpopular opinion. 😂 Good luck this weekend as well👍

😂😂😂 I'm a pretty dull guy.

I might just give in and get a chipper...(now there's a really unpopular opinion!)

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Konrad von Carstein

• il Duce McTarkin

• Dick Dastardly

44 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

It’s also common sense.

Having children is an expensive thing to do yet currently anyone can have one. I can’t go out and steal an M5. Well I could but that would be illegal.

I can’t afford to eat at Gordon Ramseys best restaurant. I can’t afford a Rolex.

I can though go out and have a child should a willing partner consent.

Its madness!!

Not only would overpopulation start to be under control but crime would fall as well.

These little shits causing all the problems in neighbourhoods would be banned from breeding like rats so the next generation of little shits will be less.

Drink and drug problems from broken homes will be less. Less pressure on schools. Better behaved pupils meaning those looking to achieve aren’t disrupted by scummy little idiots misbehaving.

Responsible, sensible, budgeted for parenting versus out of control irresponsible, paid for by you and me parenting.

Has to happen soon.

Me and my partner have 4 kids between us but we both work full time and provide for our kids. Sure we're entitled to some benefits as a result, and as a result of a large family we use healthcare services quite often, but we've both worked our entire adult lives so I don't exactly feel guilty about it. I know of people though who have 4 kids, never worked a day in their life and thus don't really contribute anything to society. Those are the ones that grate me. And yet, they somehow tend to be better off than us.

28 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree with the kids permit thing. It goes against pretty much everything I believe in but from a logical sense it makes perfect sense 

Also, your correct, looks like he’s had been doubled tapped. I liked him, which in itself is probably an unpopular opinion. 

I liked him too. Tried to tag him and his username never came up, then searched old threads where he'd posted to find his posting history has been totally purged. Shame.

27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Arent western people are dying out though? 

I believe it’s actually almost at a point we won’t be able to turn it around the birth rate is now so low among countries in western Europe.

I believe even china has big problems coming down the pipe due to their decades of one child policy and are trying to encourage their women to have children again. 
We (white europeans) don’t have enough children as it is so limiting it doesn’t seem the smartest idea. 
Thus we need large amounts of immigration to maintain the growth economies we live in. 
We’re also not really known for being all that welcoming to large swathes of brown folks or foreigners coming over here and taking our jobs etc. 

There is lots of problems like you mention though granted and god only knows how we solve any of it. 

That perhaps is true, but while Western European natives are perhaps 'dying out', most countries in Western Europe are still very densely populated. The UK is struggling to sustain its population. That morphs into a totally different debate I guess, one I'm not wanting to get into, nor is the root of that debate something I particularly find problematic. But, such a rule would apply to any and all in the country.

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

There is a bit of a projected population decline, however, it’s more change in demographics which are the issues lots more old folk as we live longer and less young ones. 

The concern is obviously you don’t have enough bodies to earn to keep the thing going. However, there is a bit of a counter to that as we rapidly become more advanced the requirements for Human Resources becomes less. Therefore reduced population cannot only be sustained but benefited from less pull on the earth natural resources so to speak and the damage that causes. 

Also you might have natural migration due to environmental factors down the line. 

Randomly they also believe the first person who will live to be 200 has been born. It’s probably not as wacky as it sounds with sone of the medical stuff you can do if you deep pockets. 

That’s what I mean. They’re already trying to get older folk back working now imagine in another 20-30 years. Especially if Britain keeps up the reluctance to accept immigration and electing politicians who instead of doing things to benefit here just keep distracting people about small boats. 
The demographics point to large immigration or our economy not coping well going forward for to lack of people doing the jobs. A lack of youth…
Unless AI just transforms everything and does everything for us. Also imagine the nick of a 200 year old human…unless they can reverse the ageing process which I’d imagine they’ll work it out at some point. But that will be a super elite only surely….
A Cyberpunk, dystopian type future that sounds like😕

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Me and my partner have 4 kids between us but we both work full time and provide for our kids. Sure we're entitled to some benefits as a result, and as a result of a large family we use healthcare services quite often, but we've both worked our entire adult lives so I don't exactly feel guilty about it. I know of people though who have 4 kids, never worked a day in their life and thus don't really contribute anything to society. Those are the ones that grate me. And yet, they somehow tend to be better off than us.

I liked him too. Tried to tag him and his username never came up, then searched old threads where he'd posted to find his posting history has been totally purged. Shame.

That perhaps is true, but while Western European natives are perhaps 'dying out', most countries in Western Europe are still very densely populated. The UK is struggling to sustain its population. That morphs into a totally different debate I guess, one I'm not wanting to get into, nor is the root of that debate something I particularly find problematic. But, such a rule would apply to any and all in the country.

Densely populated yeah but an ageing population. All needing more care etc.

A lack of youth to pay the taxes to keep things working. 

Unless mass immigration perhaps I don’t know. 

Konrad von Carstein
40 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree with the kids permit thing. It goes against pretty much everything I believe in but from a logical sense it makes perfect sense 

Also, your correct, looks like he’s had been doubled tapped. I liked him, which in itself is probably an unpopular opinion. 

:(

I liked him too...

18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Densely populated yeah but an ageing population. All needing more care etc.

A lack of youth to pay the taxes to keep things working. 

Unless mass immigration perhaps I don’t know. 

Again, I'm trying to avoid going down a rabbit hole with the old immigration debate, but I think mass immigration certainly skewers the demographics a lot more and makes it harder to forecast. You can work on the assumption that natives are going to stay here for life and forecast population growth a lot easier I'd say. But several factors in immigration make that a lot more difficult. Especially in cases where immigrants are coming in under the radar. Many immigrants may well stay here for life and have kids and grandkids born here who are UK natives, but many will maybe only stay for a few years and bugger off. It's so hard to tell.

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

He’s probably already got a new username and just waiting for the ‘heat’ to die down before he can begin to unveil his true self. 

Probably seeking guidance from @Dirk McTarkin on the subject 😂

Would love to have seen the rant that got him double tapped. 

:lol:

And agreed on the last point...

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:(

I liked him too...

I hadn't realised, quite surprised really. He's always sailed close to the wind but I thought we were at the "that's jonesy!" stage

1 hour ago, Locky said:

So if you lose our job, you get your kids get pit into care? 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I hadn't realised, quite surprised really. He's always sailed close to the wind but I thought we were at the "that's jonesy!" stage

?

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

No-one has been "double tapped".  For privacy reasons, there'll be no further comment.

19 hours ago, jambopilms said:

I would suggest Brexit and Independence should need more than 51%.

Why do the unions get free pass. They didn't achieve 60% either. One union there was never a bite to join and the people of that country (By birth), the majority voted for independence. And the same country voted 62% for the other Union. So let's not make up we games , or you might find, others can play the same game.

Indy ref all residents could vote. 

EUref, only residents born here or of subjectship could vote. 

If both had the same rules, either way. Only one or the other would have happened. 

If you live, work and pay tax here you should be able to vote. On everything. 

Some footballers can play for Scotland with less credentials.

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why do the unions get free pass. They didn't achieve 60% either. One union there was never a bite to join and the people of that country (By birth), the majority voted for independence. And the same country voted 62% for the other Union. So let's not make up we games , or you might find, others can play the same game.

Indy ref all residents could vote. 

EUref, only residents born here or of subjectship could vote. 

If both had the same rules, either way. Only one or the other would have happened. 

If you live, work and pay tax here you should be able to vote. On everything. 

Some footballers can play for Scotland with less credentials.

The only difference is your wee games are not even remotely close to the idea that constitutional referenda have greater requirements to exact change. 

il Duce McTarkin

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

He’s probably already got a new username and just waiting for the ‘heat’ to die down before he can begin to unveil his true self. 

Probably seeking guidance from @Dirk McTarkin on the subject 😂

Woudn't know **** all about it, bud. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

No-one has been "double tapped".  For privacy reasons, there'll be no further comment.

Hope there's nowt wrong. Alaways came across as a good bloke and was a top poster, especialy when he was taking utter shite.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

So if you lose our job, you get your kids get pit into care? 

Devils advocate eh? That wouldn’t really make sense anyway because that would just put more strain on public services I’d have thought. If you lose your job, I’d imagine you’d be desperate to line something else up. Might take time but can’t imagine many folk who are made redundant with a family to provide for just stay on the dole the rest of their days.

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Devils advocate eh? That wouldn’t really make sense anyway because that would just put more strain on public services I’d have thought. If you lose your job, I’d imagine you’d be desperate to line something else up. Might take time but can’t imagine many folk who are made redundant with a family to provide for just stay on the dole the rest of their days.

What if you get injured. Going by the logic of the topic, their would be no safety nets for anyone. It's either work in a field or starve.  A society with a rules about having kids, would be a society with no government intervention. In other words, a Tory utopia. 

Maybe all lads and lassies should be neutered at birth, and only those who meet the earnings threshold, can have it reversed. But if you fall on hard times, the children are shipped away. 

So let's talk about how much you need to earn, before you can reproduce. 20k, 30K 50k or even half a million. There must be a point where you have enough to pay for you and a family. So ???? 

Personally £35000 per Adult could possibly be enough, but only for 1 child, then you have to work harder and earn more before you get another. And if you get the wife pregnant without the next step in the earnings ladder. The wife is gutted and thrown into the sea and the man is castrated.

What do you think. 👍

Konrad von Carstein
32 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Woudn't know **** all about it, bud. 🤷‍♂️

Hope there's nowt wrong. Alaways came across as a good bloke and was a top poster, especialy when he was taking utter shite.

None of us are immune from that on here :lol:

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

None of us are immune from that on here :lol:

Is this Jonesy your talking about? 

39 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Yup. If the poster in question is reading this, I hope you're doing ok and it would be great to see you back on here some day.

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

The only difference is your wee games are not even remotely close to the idea that constitutional referenda have greater requirements to exact change. 

But they are biased. Eck thought the young team would win the day and forgot to stop rUK/EU resident in Scotland voting. And Cameron was so blind he thought remain was a certainty and forgot to allow EU citizens resident in the UK voting.  

Arrogance lost both referenda/referendums. 

16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

But they are biased. Eck thought the young team would win the day and forgot to stop rUK/EU resident in Scotland voting. And Cameron was so blind he thought remain was a certainty and forgot to allow EU citizens resident in the UK voting.  

Arrogance lost both referenda/referendums. 

Wee Eck got every concession under the sun including a biased question and still made a ***** of it. 

4 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Wee Eck got every concession under the sun including a biased question and still made a ***** of it. 

Biased question? Don't talk pish. He wanted devo max in the question as well, but Cameron shat it, cause he knew federal Scotland would win, hands down.  The EU membership is the reason no won, plus the 800, 000 foreigners would voted no, fro rUK, RoW and the EU. 58% of scots born In Scotland voted yes. A majority of scots voted yes. What do you think would have happened if EU citizens voted remain and lost Brexit for the English. Absolute carnage.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Biased question? Don't talk pish. He wanted devo max in the question as well, but Cameron shat it, cause he knew federal Scotland would win, hands down.  The EU membership is the reason no won, plus the 800, 000 foreigners would voted no, fro rUK, RoW and the EU. 58% of scots born In Scotland voted yes. A majority of scots voted yes. What do you think would have happened if EU citizens voted remain and lost Brexit for the English. Absolute carnage.

Yes/No questions are quite well known to have an implicit bias towards the positive response. 

Absolute carnage my arse. You just like a good slaver Ri.

il Duce McTarkin
45 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

We need more blood and soil imo...

Blut und Boden, you ****ing Philistine. :seething:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

What if you get injured. Going by the logic of the topic, their would be no safety nets for anyone. It's either work in a field or starve.  A society with a rules about having kids, would be a society with no government intervention. In other words, a Tory utopia. 

Maybe all lads and lassies should be neutered at birth, and only those who meet the earnings threshold, can have it reversed. But if you fall on hard times, the children are shipped away. 

So let's talk about how much you need to earn, before you can reproduce. 20k, 30K 50k or even half a million. There must be a point where you have enough to pay for you and a family. So ???? 

Personally £35000 per Adult could possibly be enough, but only for 1 child, then you have to work harder and earn more before you get another. And if you get the wife pregnant without the next step in the earnings ladder. The wife is gutted and thrown into the sea and the man is castrated.

What do you think. 👍

You’re surely overthinking that way too much, no? Also it wasn’t even me who initially suggested it. And the initial point was banning people from having kids, I just added a bit of structure and put it in a fairly reasonable way. Do you disagree? If so that’s fine, it’s a thread for unpopular opinions after all. But never once did anyone claim that people should have their kids taken off them if they hit a bit of financial shtick. Rather people who clearly can’t afford kids and rely on the state should maybe think twice before bringing another life into the world where possible.

FWIW, me and my partner provide for 4 kids off of a combined income of £45k a year. Not easy, but we manage.

New Town Loafer
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Arent western people are dying out though? 

Yes. We are not the problem.

My mate just sent me a picture of us at 17. :facepalm: You're right, no votes for 17 year olds😆

Konrad von Carstein
54 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Blut und Boden, you ****ing Philistine. :seething:

Entschuldigung, Anführer, es wird nicht noch einmal passieren. Heil!

Unknown user
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Yup. If the poster in question is reading this, I hope you're doing ok and it would be great to see you back on here some day.

This, godspeed little doodle

SwindonJambo
4 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Maybe we are doing our bit after all when it comes to climate change.

annual-co2-emissions-per-country.png

A lot of these graphs are very misleading. China and India now makes a lot of stuff the West used to make for itself, hence the rise in its figures and falls in the West's. And said stuff is then transported around the World, producing even more emissions so the planet isn't actually any better off. Quite the reverse in fact.

Japan Jambo
22 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

A lot of these graphs are very misleading. China and India now makes a lot of stuff the West used to make for itself, hence the rise in its figures and falls in the West's. And said stuff is then transported around the World, producing even more emissions so the planet isn't actually any better off. Quite the reverse in fact.

Fair point well made but even factoring that in the self-flagellation still feels dramatically overplayed.  All for manufacturing locally though. 

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Kate Moss is a bucket.

Now that's better. The tone of the thread was getting a bit too high 😉

10 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Now that's better. The tone of the thread was getting a bit too high 😉

If a thread needs dragging to gutter level level, I'm your men👍👏😁

SwindonJambo
57 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Fair point well made but even factoring that in the self-flagellation still feels dramatically overplayed.  All for manufacturing locally though. 

World human population has risen exponentially and consumption per capita isn't getting any smaller. We seem to be a disposable, throwaway society, especially when it comes to clothes and food. All these COP 20 something conferences have achieved bugger all other than a bit of window dressing and virtue signalling.

Manufacturing locally makes sense for many reasons, not least of them being that we're steadily placing a geopolitical weapon right into the hands of the low wage economies we buy manufactured goods from. 

All bloody depressing 😞 Anyway, enough!  Hearts are playing the Codheids tomorrow 👍

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

If a thread needs dragging to gutter level level, I'm your men👍👏😁

Oh it's certainly a good effort but there's much worse than you on here I think 👍

jeremy vine is an awful quiz show host. He tries to make funny comments that you can tell that the eggheads dont like about them and if a question is difficult he just happens to have been reading about it just a few weeks ago. 

27 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Oh it's certainly a good effort but there's much worse than you on here I think 👍

It's not often you can say that about a thread on here.

12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Oh aye.

Hell yeah.

She'd be brimming to the point of leakage after I've finished with her.