Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Disappeared up his own arse 😆

Was it in the Vlad years that he was considered?

52 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

They keep saying that continuous 3rd place finishes and European group stages will help us improve to the next level. But will it? Under Neilson? He just doesn’t have it in him. For me, as soon as we can convince someone with a bit of tactical nous and ability to join as manager he should be off.

But he won’t. Even if we finish 5th he won’t.

We need to look to push the boat out in our quest for the next manager. Salary that makes him the highest earner at the club. If that means we need to pay the right candidate £600,000 per annum then so be it. I've no idea who that person should be but I firmly believe we should look to be as ambitious as possible. Paying that kind of figure shouldn't be beyond our capabilities.

Rangers and Celtic are over the horizon. With the investment that's going into the club we should be able to be a strong third. We look like we've regressed since last season despite a significant spend in the summer for a club our our scale in the domestic set up. I wouldn't trust Neilson with another transfer window. 

There is going to be considerable debate even if he can get things back on track we finish third. Any lower from the position we were is a few weeks back and I believe the Board will be acting diametrically at odds with majority of supporter sentiment.

Historical league placing records are being chucked around to emphasise how difficult and rare back to back third place finishes have been. There's a notable absence of context though. Much of the past 30 plus years have seen the club carry significant debt whereby the debt serving costs alone ran beyond £1M a year. The club isn't curtailed by those constraints any longer. There is considerable investment going into the club beyond ordinary income from Foundation and benevolence yet we're seeing no benefit of that under the present set up. 

I firmly believe paying the right money to attract the best managerial candidate possible would be the most important outlay we could make. 

Lone Striker
46 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He was interviewed by Budge after Cathro was sacked   (along with Hartley, McCann and Elvis I think).  They were all rejected after "someone" suggested to her  that the best candidate is already in the building.

:levein_interesting:

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Lone Striker said:

He was interviewed by Budge after Cathro was sacked   (along with Hartley, McCann and Elvis I think).  They were all rejected after "someone" suggested to her  that the best candidate is already in the building.

:levein_interesting:

Well done for remembering it.

ViewfromtheEast
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What’s Billy Davis up to these days?

Walking his Rotties and terrifying the locals somewhere, I suspect.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Budge. His side of it was that he walked away from talks after seeing how much control Levein had. Never heard the other side, but wouldn't surprise me.

Levein name seems to haunt Tynecastle. 

BackOfTheNet
12 minutes ago, Carter said:

We need to look to push the boat out in our quest for the next manager. Salary that makes him the highest earner at the club. If that means we need to pay the right candidate £600,000 per annum then so be it. I've no idea who that person should be but I firmly believe we should look to be as ambitious as possible. Paying that kind of figure shouldn't be beyond our capabilities.

Rangers and Celtic are over the horizon. With the investment that's going into the club we should be able to be a strong third. We look like we've regressed since last season despite a significant spend in the summer for a club our our scale in the domestic set up. I wouldn't trust Neilson with another transfer window. 

There is going to be considerable debate even if he can get things back on track we finish third. Any lower from the position we were is a few weeks back and I believe the Board will be acting diametrically at odds with majority of supporter sentiment.

Historical league placing records are being chucked around to emphasise how difficult and rare back to back third place finishes have been. There's a notable absence of context though. Much of the past 30 plus years have seen the club carry significant debt whereby the debt serving costs alone ran beyond £1M a year. The club isn't curtailed by those constraints any longer. There is considerable investment going into the club beyond ordinary income from Foundation and benevolence yet we're seeing no benefit of that under the present set up. 

I firmly believe paying the right money to attract the best managerial candidate possible would be the most important outlay we could make. 

We need to hire someone that comes with his own coaching team. And I don’t mean an assistant or two. Someone who is used to a professional modern day set up. Stendel gets a bad rap, fairly to a degree, but he was hired because of the success he had as a coaching team and recruitment team combo. We then brought him in on his own trying to find scraps and going by the documentary a recruitment team that doubled up as HR.

Successful coaches these days rely on mechanisms to form a culture. We have the facilities, the funds (relatively) and recruitment team in place. We now need a coaching team that consists more of three guys that know about as much as each other do. I want someone that during negotiations also wants their GK coach, fitness coach etc hired. As you say, that’s where the priority outlay should be. Because spending it on rewarding short term form with long term contracts is just leading to contentment amongst staff and players.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

We need to hire someone that comes with his own coaching team. And I don’t mean an assistant or two. Someone who is used to a professional modern day set up. Stendel gets a bad rap, fairly to a degree, but he was hired because of the success he had as a coaching team and recruitment team combo. We then brought him in on his own trying to find scraps and going by the documentary a recruitment team that doubled up as HR.

Successful coaches these days rely on mechanisms to form a culture. We have the facilities, the funds (relatively) and recruitment team in place. We now need a coaching team that consists more of three guys that know about as much as each other do. I want someone that during negotiations also wants their GK coach, fitness coach etc hired. As you say, that’s where the priority outlay should be. Because spending it on rewarding short term form with long term contracts is just leading to contentment amongst staff and players.

Agree entirely. 

On Stendel, he was pretty much hindered from the day he arrived. I suspect AB didn't really believe in the appointment and felt she had to get rid of Levein grudgingly. He inherited Kirk and Fox iirc after banishing Daly. Fox might be a decent coach but he isn't a manager and Kirk seems to have found his level in 5th tier of Scottish football.

The infrastructure is in place as you say. The difference between paying a manager £200k a year and £6/700k a year could be game changing. 

Neilson has repeatedly talked about the personality of players being researched in the recruitment process. I fear we're about to witness in the remaining 8 games that we have a very mentally fragile  and weak group of players aligned to a managerial and coaching set up which has huge deficiencies.

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Was Burley our last properly installed manager with his own coaching team?

Quite possibly. Can’t think of another manager who has come with more than one or two.

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, Carter said:

Not in the slightest. Our much lauded recruitment has been extremely poor in my view. Our midfield is very poor beyond a guy who's been out for 13 months. Kio is so limited its scarcely believable. Grant the same. 

I genuinely think Neilson has ran out of ideas. 

This, 100%. I'm not a fan of Robbie but I think he has simply run out of ideas. There's not much you can do with that lot . As said ad nauseam on here, the team lacks so many qualities it's frightening. The happy clappers dismiss any idea of a reality check in terms of the repeatedly poor performances by saying "were third, get over it". They should say that to Neilson. 

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Carter said:

Agree entirely. 

On Stendel, he was pretty much hindered from the day he arrived. I suspect AB didn't really believe in the appointment and felt she had to get rid of Levein grudgingly. He inherited Kirk and Fox iirc after banishing Daly. Fox might be a decent coach but he isn't a manager and Kirk seems to have found his level in 5th tier of Scottish football.

The infrastructure is in place as you say. The difference between paying a manager £200k a year and £6/700k a year could be game changing. 

Neilson has repeatedly talked about the personality of players being researched in the recruitment process. I fear we're about to witness in the remaining 8 games that we have a very mentally fragile  and weak group of players aligned to a managerial and coaching set up which has huge deficiencies.

We saw what Steve Clarke did with a Kilmarnock side facing relegation after being under McCulloch. Same group of players, completely different mentalities. Managers inspire and make or break mentalities. But they do that with a support staff.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

We saw what Steve Clarke did with a Kilmarnock side facing relegation after being under McCulloch. Same group of players, completely different mentalities. Managers inspire and make or break mentalities. But they do that with a support staff.

👍

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Fair comments.   This is where Savage's acumen (or lack of it) will show - if he recommends parting company with Robbie (plus Elbows & Forrest), he must do  research on the personnel behind a target figurehead manager.    Fitness is a good example - we've been moaning for years about how our players seem to suffer fatigue during a season despite playing a slow-paced style of football...... and our inability in the Cup Final to match the movement and and pace of  a Rangers team who'd just played 120 minutes in the Europa Final a few days earlier  was a worrying sign.

Talking of fitness....... have we EVER come back from a winter break warm-weather training camp looking refreshed and re-energised ?   Seems to me that its a total waste of time and money.

34 minutes ago, Carter said:

I can see where you are coming from, but a manager on 10k a week will expect his own staff on a comparable salary and a substantial transfer kitty.

no decent coach or manager will be content with bosmans and free transfers, they won’t be prepared to jeopardise there I assume hard earned reputation on a half arsed project.

This is a problem with Scottish football I’m afraid, the finance and infrastructure and investment just isn’t there.

Bazzas right boot

We'll finish 3rd and Bob will stay on.

But as mentioned before I'd go after Warburton if we were recruiting a manager.

He might be a realistic target.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Fair comments.   This is where Savage's acumen (or lack of it) will show - if he recommends parting company with Robbie (plus Elbows & Forrest), he must do  research on the personnel behind a target figurehead manager.    Fitness is a good example - we've been moaning for years about how our players seem to suffer fatigue during a season despite playing a slow-paced style of football...... and our inability in the Cup Final to match the movement and and pace of  a Rangers team who'd just played 120 minutes in the Europa Final a few days earlier  was a worrying sign.

Talking of fitness....... have we EVER come back from a winter break warm-weather training camp looking refreshed and re-energised ?   Seems to me that its a total waste of time and money.

Unable to match the movement and pace of the Europa finalists. 

A team who destroyed teams like Dortmund on their way to the final.

We're miles of that level in every aspect possible. 

Hardly a surprise and not worrying at all. There needs to be perspective. 

Getting beat of killie after going a goal up and having 30 minutes v 10 men to score at least one and failing to do so is  worrying. 

9 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

I can see where you are coming from, but a manager on 10k a week will expect his own staff on a comparable salary and a substantial transfer kitty.

no decent coach or manager will be content with bosmans and free transfers, they won’t be prepared to jeopardise there I assume hard earned reputation on a half arsed project.

This is a problem with Scottish football I’m afraid, the finance and infrastructure and investment just isn’t there.

Not entirely comparable but Ange came to Celtic on his own, no assistants etc. Just a clear philosophy on how he wants to play and got the players required.

If Savage asked Robbie how he wanted to play, what do we think his answer would be?

Lone Striker
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Absolutely.   Perfect example.  He seems to have the right personality and management skills to get the best out of every player.   If he wasn't tied down and doing great things with Scotland, he'd be the fans choice without a shadow of a doubt.

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Genuine question here: Even IF we finish 3rd, is anyone genuinely confident that next season we will play any better in Europe or have the team performing any better in the league (not position wise, but more points and more convincing victories) if Neilson stays? Anyone?

Nope, none whatsoever. Going around in ever decreasing circles...........that's us!!!

13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s pretty clear that the issue is midfield. Kio just isn’t good enough, Snodgrass’s legs appear to have gone. That leaves us with Halliday, Devlin, Haring and Grant.  Devlin and Haring were out injured yesterday so just really Halliday and Grant who look fit.  I’d imagine yesterday might have been Kio’s last appearance for us. Snodgrass needs a rest.  We desperately need Beni back together with Devlins intensity in the middle. Is Haring ever going to get over the concussion issues? Wouldn’t surprise me to see Pollock getting game time soon if he is fit. We desperately need energy and pace in the middle. 

Sibbick could easily slot into midfield. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

No it was after Cathro before they gave to the charlatan along the corridor 🤦🏽, who BD said he wouldn’t work with. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, stevie1874 said:

Sibbick could easily slot into midfield. 

He really should, he can get forward with the ball or on the end of crosses. 

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Unable to match the movement and pace of the Europa finalists. 

A team who destroyed teams like Dortmund on their way to the final.

We're miles of that level in every aspect possible. 

Hardly a surprise and not worrying at all. There needs to be perspective. 

Getting beat of killie after going a goal up and having 30 minutes v 10 men to score at least one and failing to do so is  worrying. 

Failure to match Rangers  football ability wasn't what I said though - it was the tempo of the game and their  running off the ball which we simply couldn't match.   Probably because our normal playing style & tempo is inferior  to theirs ..... which comes down to fitness and manager's instructions

Killie are nowhere near Rangers level of ability, but they also played a higher tempo than us and made more meaningful use of their possession.     .

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Good post

42 minutes ago, Carter said:

Agree entirely. 

I imagine the personality research they're doing is 'are they agreeable' and if they are he takes them because he can play them out of position, give them shite tactics and never have to worry about them arguing back. Look at when he substituted Cochrane against Aberdeen.

ShortmanRossco
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What’s Billy Davis up to these days?

If I was to guess I'd speculate at trying to headbutt wasps in his garden.

Odious, cretinous and insane human being.

Conte, Rodgers and Potter all available. What a time to be alive.  Sure they are all dusting off their cvs to send them in just in case 🤣

35 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

I'd allocate the entire FoH contributions to getting the right managerial team if that's what it required. We're seeing approximately £6M a year going into the club from unearned income and we're seeing absolutely no benefit whatsoever. 

I'd also largely have a policy of not paying transfer fees. Exception being scenarios like Cochrane or a player in Scotland of the profile of Lewis Ferguson when at Hamilton Accies where McInnes was on point whilst Levein was on the hunt for hidden gems or nurturing crocks like Aidy White back to full fitness. There is absolutely no point going to second tier of Dutch football and spunking €400,000 on dross like Kio or £250,000 on one paced players like Jorge Grant who patently lack the industry and athleticism required for football in this country. I'd focus largely on free agents paying good terms and considerable incentives for the minimum levels of expectation, which needs to be 3rd given disparity of income and resources to the other 9 OF clubs. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Interested in what makes you so confident we'll be third given we've lost 9 points of a 10 point advantage to our nearest rival over the past 5 games.

Next 3 games are enormous for the club and the current manager. Given we've taken 14 points from the last 75 available post split games we'll need to take advantage of the run we've got coming up. 

Very hard to see where our next win is going to come from given the apparent implosion that's taking place before our eyes. 

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

Interested in what makes you so confident we'll be third given we've lost 9 points of a 10 point advantage to our nearest rival over the past 5 games.

Next 3 games are enormous for the club and the current manager. Given we've taken 14 points from the last 75 available post split games we'll need to take advantage of the run we've got coming up. 

Very hard to see where our next win is going to come from given the apparent implosion that's taking place before our eyes. 

That's even worse than I realised

4 minutes ago, Sertse said:

That's even worse than I realised

Absolutely pathetic. You'd almost think we were a minnow of a club up here. 

Slightly off topic, but another area that needs to be reviewed is the Academy. Almost 9 years post Administration and we've not brought through a single player who has made any impact at first team level. That's quite unbelievable. There will be a case made for Hickey but that's got a backstory as we know. 

So many areas within the club where standards need to be raised substantially.

Edited by Carter

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Carter said:

I think we'll win our home games and take something at hibs.

Aberdeen will lose a few.

We'll win our next game imo. 

Post split we'll have Aberdeen and hibs at home and it looks like all to play for which hasn't been the case historically. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

St Mirren were very unlucky at Tynecastle last time. They've dismantled an opponent yesterday that we routinely struggle against. 

Main and Watt will be counting the days til Saturday and licking their lips in anticipation of coming up against Sibbick and Rowles. I'll guarantee that Rowles will get ragdolled by Main. 

Aberdeen may lose some games. Reality is they've gained 9 points on us in past 5 games. We've lost to a side yesterday who'd taken 6 from last 30. 

I get the impression you're optimism in nothing other than continued entrenched support of a manager you simply can't or won't see any fault in. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Carter said:

Spot on

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

Conte, Rodgers and Potter all available. What a time to be alive.  Sure they are all dusting off their cvs to send them in just in case 🤣

All play 343 they **** right off 😜

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Sertse said:

I imagine the personality research they're doing is 'are they agreeable' and if they are he takes them because he can play them out of position, give them shite tactics and never have to worry about them arguing back. Look at when he substituted Cochrane against Aberdeen.

Definitely, Tony Watt is about the only player hes ever signed that was a character that needed special attention. 

Get rid of the manager who many believe gave Hibs the Cup win they craved for the manager who was actually managing the defeated finalists....imagine the seethe! Think he has a cushy job coaching at West Ham so can't imagine he'd come. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

He really should, he can get forward with the ball or on the end of crosses. 

👍 Also has pace and a physical presence which we’re lacking in that department at the moment. 

24 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Post split we'll have Aberdeen and hibs at home and it looks like all to play for which hasn't been the case historically. 

Bazza    tell.me what you drink   it must be good!

Even if we finish 3rd, Bob’s times up in many fans opinion. Rabids as you call them  may get their wish? 

BackOfTheNet
5 hours ago, R9. said:

Stendel brought the German assistant in who was a ex keeper and tonge from Barnsley another German coach was to come in from Barnsley but there was issues with them at the time so Andy Kirk got kept on think his name was Stern.

And Paul Gallagher seemed to avoid the Craig Levein inner circle axe, stayed on with Stendel THEN managed to stay on with Robbie.

The keeper assistant came in after he joined. Wasn’t an immediate appointment. And Tonge later came in. He had the same amount of assistants as Neilson does, but not with immediate effect, it was staggered. And his right hand man at Barnsley couldn’t join him due to the weird contract situation at Barnsley. And as I say, he had to navigate the January window effectively himself when he was used to the Barnsley recruitment team doing it for him.

Neilson has always had someone sorting out recruitment for him, be it Levein in his first spell or Savage in his second. Not saying he isn’t involved, but he has been allowed to concentrate on other aspects of the club while someone else can do the hard graft of getting deals done is what I’m saying. And whatever anyone thinks of Stendel, at a time he was trying to do so much on the training ground, recruitment was also left to him to hark back to his teams or opposition from Hannover youth days (Langer, Avdijaj) or Barnsley (Sibbick, Boyce). He and the woman from HR, since Levein left that part vacant when he left too. Was far from ideal.

Geoff Kilpatrick
22 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Patrick Kisnorbo end of the season?

He has done a decent job with Melbourne City. No idea if he has any interest in managing in the UK though.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He has done a decent job with Melbourne City. No idea if he has any interest in managing in the UK though.

Hes struggling in France mate but as you say no idea if he would fancy that or leaving the City Group.   Rumours are he's going back to Melbourne too

Edited by Robbies Tackle

10 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I saw him at the Usher Hall with his agent heading towards the old Dundas & Wilson office at Saltire Court for his interview.

He didn't get it as the obvious candidate 'was already in the room' i.e Levein.

Edited by DETTY29

Naisys Tackle

The keeper assistant came in after he joined. Wasn’t an immediate appointment. And Tonge later came in. He had the same amount of assistants as Neilson does, but not with immediate effect, it was staggered. And his right hand man at Barnsley couldn’t join him due to the weird contract situation at Barnsley. And as I say, he had to navigate the January window effectively himself when he was used to the Barnsley recruitment team doing it for him.

Neilson has always had someone sorting out recruitment for him, be it Levein in his first spell or Savage in his second. Not saying he isn’t involved, but he has been allowed to concentrate on other aspects of the club while someone else can do the hard graft of getting deals done is what I’m saying. And whatever anyone thinks of Stendel, at a time he was trying to do so much on the training ground, recruitment was also left to him to hark back to his teams or opposition from Hannover youth days (Langer, Avdijaj) or Barnsley (Sibbick, Boyce). He and the woman from HR, since Levein left that part vacant when he left too. Was far from ideal.

:spoton:

He was utterly done over, as the BBC documentary showed he didn't even get told he was sacked, he found out on the news. Set up to fail.