Suitable managers

Sertse

Whilst not close to being a potential Hearts manager yet, Scott Brown the manager is a different person to Scott Brown the player. 

Make no mistake, I want Robbie gone. I thought it was a mistake to bring him back. After the Boara and QotS debacles, we should have thanked him for the promotion and parted ways. Robbie is an average Premier League Manager. We should be aiming higher. 

If we pull the trigger now, we'd need someone within the club to see out the season - Naithsmith, Frankie, whoever. It's worked for Aberdeen, but it's still a massive gamble for us, as big a gamble as doing nothing. Stick or twist? I'd probably stick until the County match and consider then, as I think 9 points post split would still secure us 3rd. 

Robbie should go end of the season if he limps on, and the new man should be in for pre season training starting. Some of the Scandinavian shouts are interesting. Appointing someone like Robinson would just be more of the same. 

Edited by blairdin

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

Give Naismith the job till the end of the season.  Reassess then.  What we don’t need is a panic decision.

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, but not going to say that’s the right way to behave.  Arteta would have been fired a year ago if that logic was followed.  Klopp would have been fired before he won anything with Liverpool. They had a couple of season of mediocrity when he joined.  Players lose form, managers can’t just magic that form back. They give them a break and reintroduce them.  We can’t do that at the moment because we have so many out of form and no-one to bring in. Yesterday was a perfect example. The guys he left out to give them a break had to be brought on and failed again eg Cochrane and McKay. Humphrys made little impression. And there was nothing else on the bench.  I mean did anyone think Oda or Kuol were going to rescue the game? 

All fair points but those are the exceptions to the rule. Neilson won’t be getting sacked so it’s all just fan talk tbh. It’s not just player form imo, we had a grit and determination about us earlier in the season, a team spirit, that just seems absent now. We haven’t improved since last season because Shankland aside, recruitment has been poor. Feels like yet another false dawn in our quest to be consistently the 3rd force in Scotland. 

Sorry lads but there is absolute zero chance of  Robbie being sacked until the  till the end of the season. 

By all means debate it , but it's utterly futile,  as it just isn't going to happen .

I'm not convinced he would be sacked if we blow 3rd tbh.

Thunder and Lightning
22 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Of course you can ‘sack’ players.  You just tell them they won’t be playing again this season, and best if they look for another club. 

There must also be clauses re performance at work. Maybe not tho looking at Barrie M, a waste of a player most weeks. 

Thunder and Lightning
19 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

No motivation to compete. As simple as that. 

And a lack of consequences for those that don't. Same names on the sheet every week regardless of contribution the previous week. 

4 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

And a lack of consequences for those that don't. Same names on the sheet every week regardless of contribution the previous week. 

Loyalty or old pals act?

GorgieFifeLife
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I could talk about some of the other names on the list but the OP asked who we think would be a good fit? Scott Brown!

Wouldn’t stand for the shit going on at the moment.  Think he will be a very good manager going forward.  Managers are not there to be liked.

David McCaig
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Not necessarily so. Finish fourth and win two qualifying rounds and the same if not more money rolls in from uefa. 

Because that route has been a sure fire winner for Scottish clubs!!

Given Robbie's uncanny ability to punch upwards what could possibly go wrong?

RustyRightPeg

Danny Cowley

Steven Schumacher

Ian Evatt

Neil McFarlane

Karl Robinson

Joseph Oosting

Paolo Sergio for sentiments 

SomethingAboutObua
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

The B team are a bunch of 16/20 year olds playing against fully developed men, in a highly competitive league. I’d actually say he’s got them going better than they should be. 

Our average age compared to Rangers and Celtic’s B team is about 2 years younger. 

You’re clueless. 

Calm down lmao 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, but not going to say that’s the right way to behave.  Arteta would have been fired a year ago if that logic was followed.  Klopp would have been fired before he won anything with Liverpool. They had a couple of season of mediocrity when he joined.  Players lose form, managers can’t just magic that form back. They give them a break and reintroduce them.  We can’t do that at the moment because we have so many out of form and no-one to bring in. Yesterday was a perfect example. The guys he left out to give them a break had to be brought on and failed again eg Cochrane and McKay. Humphrys made little impression. And there was nothing else on the bench.  I mean did anyone think Oda or Kuol were going to rescue the game? 

Wft was Humphreys playing on the wing for?

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I think Naismith would look for decent assurances that if he gets us (to remain remember, not improve to) 3rd he'll have a very decent chance of the managers job on a 3 year deal.

He also is a huge, OK big character in Scottish football, there is no way there wouldn't be a big media campaign for him to be given so.

Any interim manager needs to be told it only gives you a chance of the job from the pack.  

If McAvoy's ambitions are DoF, SD roles then yes, I think I'd rather him than Naismith till the end of season. 

Here is his PNE stats but significantly skewed with new managers bounce.

Screenshot_20230401_164812_Chrome.jpg

We need some kind of bounce. We're going backwards at an alarming rate.

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Loyalty or old pals act?

Loyalty, faith, hope perhaps. 

But people not performing need dropped, be that as punishment for lack of effort or as a kick up the arse to get the blood pumping. 

These people get money for simply walking on the pitch. If these are the best in training (to warrant a place at the weekend) then we need a clear out. 

Finlay James
11 hours ago, Mick from Oz said:

Kevin Muscat, won the league in Japan last season, plays a back four consistently, worked under Ange Postecoglou and has been influenced by him style wise, knows UK football well.

First interesting suggestion so far.

My preference is we stay away from the usual faces around Scottish football and appoint someone who is on an upwards trajectory and has the ability to go higher.  Robbie won’t manage a club bigger than Hearts and it’s showing.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Darren said:

Martindale has never spoken well. He's a nasally wee Weegie ned who I'd want nowhere near Hearts. 

He's from West Calder which is closer to Edinburgh than it is to Glasgow 😂

1 minute ago, dougal said:

We need some kind of bounce. We're going backwards at an alarming rate.

Absolutely.

I'm simply suggesting that if we go Naismith and he does get us over the line this season even just, he likely going to end up as new manager on a 3 year deal.  Are we convinced he is that man?

Of course, Hearts might think we are a basket case and take on for a few weeks on a no risk basis as he has the next stage of his managerial career lined up elsewhere.

RustyRightPeg
44 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Calm down lmao 

Well don’t post complete lies

RustyRightPeg
12 hours ago, Mick from Oz said:

Kevin Muscat, won the league in Japan last season, plays a back four consistently, worked under Ange Postecoglou and has been influenced by him style wise, knows UK football well.

Yeah I like that

Thunder and Lightning
48 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Calm down lmao 

Seemed a calm reply to me. He was just pointing out the reality of the situation. 

Ronald Villiers
1 hour ago, Darren said:

Martindale has never spoken well. He's a nasally wee Weegie ned who I'd want nowhere near Hearts. 

Correct.  He's a dodgy ned from Craigshill and is a staunch Rangers fan.  He was born and raised in Livi after his family moved there from Govan during the overspill and likes to think he's a Weegie.  Livi can keep him.

31 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Absolutely.

I'm simply suggesting that if we go Naismith and he does get us over the line this season even just, he likely going to end up as new manager on a 3 year deal.  Are we convinced he is that man?

Of course, Hearts might think we are a basket case and take on for a few weeks on a no risk basis as he has the next stage of his managerial career lined up elsewhere.

Naismith might think, not Hearts.

Ronald Villiers

I think we should let Naismith take over from Neilson until the end of the season.  He knows the players and will demand their respect.  I'd like to think he'd play players in their natural positions aswell.  It's too late in the season to bring someone new in for a number of reasons.

SomethingAboutObua
25 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Well don’t post complete lies

What's complete lies, how's a guy who's entire managerial career in 5th tier scottish football leading apparently a bunch of kids (16-20) a suitable appointment for top tier scottish football? Calm down bud calling folk clueless and liars eh? 

The Real Maroonblood
26 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Correct.  He's a dodgy ned from Craigshill and is a staunch Rangers fan.  He was born and raised in Livi after his family moved there from Govan during the overspill and likes to think he's a Weegie.  Livi can keep him.

He would get on well with McCulloch and Halliday. 

Ronald Villiers
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He would get on well with McCulloch and Halliday. 

True mate.

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

Sorry lads but there is absolute zero chance of  Robbie being sacked until the  till the end of the season. 

By all means debate it , but it's utterly futile,  as it just isn't going to happen .

Well if that was the case, the £140K-£150K that we as FOH plough into the club on a monthly basis would only show that the board are not listening and pressure would have to be applied.

We cannot go on with Neilson and his cronies any longer, they will lose us Europe next season and they have obviously lost the dressing room big time. 

5 minutes ago, db211833 said:

We should never be using the FOH pledges as a threat. 

Why not, highlights the bambots quite well imo. 

3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

The B team are a bunch of 16/20 year olds playing against fully developed men, in a highly competitive league. I’d actually say he’s got them going better than they should be. 

Our average age compared to Rangers and Celtic’s B team is about 2 years younger. 

You’re clueless. 

:spoton:

13 hours ago, Mick from Oz said:

The most interesting suggestion so far. 

3 hours ago, Darren said:

This. 

12 hours ago, OTT said:

McInnes would be a very safe pair of hands tbh but Killie haven't been very good this season, so I suppose that maybe isn't totally straight forward.

I think either of Robinson, McInnes or even Tam Courts as a bit of a different option would be good enough. 

I'm not interested in the team trying to play a passing game, or anything massively technical. I want to watch a team that can do the basics right. We're a professional team, and shouldn't even need to say this, but passing the ball to a teammate really shouldn't be as difficult a task as we appear to be making it... beyond that, looking like we know what we're doing when we attack would be nice too. We don't need a rockstar manager, we just need someone who can man manage well and has clear ideas the players can buy into (that are doable within the skillset of the team). 

For me though, Robbie needs to go. I don't think he's going to win the fans back. This away form has been utterly pathetic. Its not bad, or disappointing, its actually pathetic. Right now, Spartans away would be a tough fixture. Our possession based approach doesn't work because we're not good enough at breaking teams down, and I don't see Robbie radically changing approaches. Most crucially though, the players look depressed. Overcoached has been a description I've seen and it looks about right. There doesn't seem to be much individuality or to be cliche, players 'expressing' themselves. Its all very system based and almost robot like. Players don't look motivated or that they're enjoying playing for him.

Even if he by some minor miracle manages to finish 3rd, I still think there is a discussion to be had. We can't keep trying to play in a way that the players can't consistently perform to. To me, that is bad management because the system is technically beyond the capabilities of the players we have. I think a manager like Stephen Robinson could come in and simplify our tactics and make things a lot more straightforward and clearer on what we're trying to do, and how we're trying to do it. It might not be fashionable, but I'd rather watch a team that is competent at what it does than Robbies delusions of grandeur. 

Agree.

Postecoglou arrived at Celtic and promised attacking football. Not tippy tippy possession. Kept it simple.

Can't be that hard.

Hope the board are looking at candidates now.....

15 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cheap option, Stephen Robinson.

Harder more unrealistic option Claudio Ranieri (currently head coach in serie B

Fans favourite option, Paulo Sergio

I'll get ridiculed for all 3 options but it's 3 more options than Ann has. 

Ranieri?   As long as we don’t offer him the package Anderson almost did. 

Nathan Jones done a brilliant job with Luton in the championship. Limited resources and in a demanding tough league.

BackOfTheNet
3 hours ago, ramrod said:

We could finish 5th and he still won’t be sacked in my opinion. And there’s a very real prospect that could happen by the way.

periodictabledancer
13 minutes ago, JamboPete said:

Nathan Jones done a brilliant job with Luton in the championship. Limited resources and in a demanding tough league.

Zero expectations at Luton and zero pressure. I heard some absolute horror stories about his time at Stoke and if any if them are true it's a miracle he ever got the Saints gig. 

2 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Loyalty, faith, hope perhaps. 

But people not performing need dropped, be that as punishment for lack of effort or as a kick up the arse to get the blood pumping. 

These people get money for simply walking on the pitch. If these are the best in training (to warrant a place at the weekend) then we need a clear out. 

Lost the enthusiasm of the younger players as well. 

Blackie the Cat
16 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'd put Naismith in and open it up to applicants. If I was forced to pick...Kjetil Knutsen.

Not going all Bongo but Scandinavia is an affordable and potentially profitable market. He can also get a team playing.

I'd imagine Savage would hire an applicant though.

THIS! 

Kjetil Knutsen is the guy for me however IF we can get 3rd we would have a better chance of getting him although he might well be out of our range even if we did.

Someone with no connection to Scottish football would always be my preferred option.  

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Zero expectations at Luton and zero pressure. I heard some absolute horror stories about his time at Stoke and if any if them are true it's a miracle he ever got the Saints gig. 

Care to share.👍

It's been interesting watching his career yo yo.

Some coaches really have a limit to the level can can coach.

Higher the level, higher the players egos. Sometimes it's just striking lucky withe right squad, harmony and mindset. You try to advance and sign some new players, but they are wankers, disruptive,etc.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

He's from West Calder which is closer to Edinburgh than it is to Glasgow 😂

More pertinently, he’s never given up his season ticket for Ibrox. 

3 minutes ago, Blackie the Cat said:

THIS! 

Kjetil Knutsen is the guy for me however IF we can get 3rd we would have a better chance of getting him although he might well be out of our range even if we did.

Someone with no connection to Scottish football would always be my preferred option.  

I think we need to be wary about foreign appointments. Scottish players are woefully unprofessional, guys like Delia and the Italian former Juve coach Killie had have been chased out before for trying to implement professional standards around areas like diet. 

I know its an absolutely ludicrous point to make, but if we go for someone likely to implement high standards there is a realistic chance of push back and the players attempting to turf them out, if that happens then there is a likelihood of reverting to mid table. 

FWIW if Scottish players could be trusted to be professional, I think he'd be a brilliant appointment, but the issue is they can't. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

What's complete lies, how's a guy who's entire managerial career in 5th tier scottish football leading apparently a bunch of kids (16-20) a suitable appointment for top tier scottish football? Calm down bud calling folk clueless and liars eh? 

Still got more managerial experience than Barry Robson had.  Working out pretty well for him and Aberdeen so far isn’t it?  

If we look at an interim manager (personally I think Robbie is here until the end of the season, unless perhaps he loses the next 2 or 3 matches) then surely it will be from within the club at this stage of the season. 

16 hours ago, Sertse said:

Thing is they have shortlists of players they think would be good for us, there must be one under lock and key containing managers?

I'd like to see us go for someone far away from Scottish football. We have a much bigger budget than previous years that could surely tempt someone away, especially with the fanbase, stadium and high possibility of Europe each season.

Whoever gets the job has a massive task on their hands to get rid of the crap players  we have at the moment.

A few are at the end of their contracts  and if we are seriously going to replace Neilson then we need to do so before he renews some of these contracts.

Smith and Snodgrass & Haring spring to mind. I can't imagine him keeping McKay - Steven but yoiu never know.

We need players with pace and fight in our team instead of the lame ducks we have just know.

Gone are trhe days when we used to be called a BIG PHYSICALTEAM.