Suitable managers

Sertse

Hypothetically, we get rid of Neilson now or at the end of the season.

Who are we replacing him with? 

This isn't a 'keep him because there's nobody better' thread, I genuinely just want to discuss who would be a good fit.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

Definitely would be interm appointment 

Naismith and Mcevoy.

Hypothetically speaking of course, because no way is there any changes being made at this point of the season with Hearts in third 

2 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Hypothetically, we get rid of Neilson now or at the end of the season.

Who are we replacing him with? 

This isn't a 'keep him because there's nobody better' thread, I genuinely just want to discuss who would be a good fit.

I suppose it depends who applies, of which I think there will be plenty names to consider. The club is in a great position off the park. Great job for someone. Looking at the woman’s appointment shows that the board not afraid to look outwith the usual suspects in this country. 👍

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

**** knows really. Depends on how inventive our board want to be, which is probably not very 

Thing is they have shortlists of players they think would be good for us, there must be one under lock and key containing managers?

I'd like to see us go for someone far away from Scottish football. We have a much bigger budget than previous years that could surely tempt someone away, especially with the fanbase, stadium and high possibility of Europe each season.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Thing is they have shortlists of players they think would be good for us, there must be one under lock and key containing managers?

I'd like to see us go for someone far away from Scottish football. We have a much bigger budget than previous years that could surely tempt someone away, especially with the fanbase, stadium and high possibility of Europe each season.

You need more than just banging a coach in the job though. You need a plan, a recruitment strategy which leans towards a certain style and a coach whose plan fits.

Neilson is a total dullard so really, you might as well sign a load of traffic cones for him. But ideally, you give a coach a suitable squad.

Our squad is pish.

I’m not overly optimistic 

look at the issues Aberdeen Dundee Utd Hibs and Hearts have had appointing decent managers and coaches in the last few years.

im certain every one of these clubs thought along the same lines, let’s get some top promising up  and coming coach to take us to that mythical next level

Only to find them swimming in the same pool with the same old names who have been swimming around clubs for years.

Truth is the money in Scotland for salaries and transfer kitty’s doesn’t exist and good coaches don’t really want to manage in a league where 2 teams sweep up year after years.

in my opinion Steven Naismith will be odds on as the replacement 

That is the question. 

Short term, Naismith is a viable option. Barry Robson doing an excellent job with Aberdeen, so this idea we need bags of experience is nonsense IMO. Noticed Naisy doesn't play a 343 with the B team too. So probably more likely to work out the best tactics for the players he has instead of this nonsense. 

Longer term? I think Stephen Robinson could be a sensible choice. 

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You need more than just banging a coach in the job though. You need a plan, a recruitment strategy which leans towards a certain style and a coach whose plan fits.

Neilson is a total dullard so really, you might as well sign a load of traffic cones for him. But ideally, you give a coach a suitable squad.

Our squad is pish.

I disagree, I don't think our squad is pish, we have some good players but they aren't being managed or motivated properly. We've all seen how well some of them play to see them now go completely the other way eg McKay 

Rick Sanchez

I'd put Naismith in and open it up to applicants. If I was forced to pick...Kjetil Knutsen.

Not going all Bongo but Scandinavia is an affordable and potentially profitable market. He can also get a team playing.

I'd imagine Savage would hire an applicant though.

13 minutes ago, OTT said:

That is the question. 

Short term, Naismith is a viable option. Barry Robson doing an excellent job with Aberdeen, so this idea we need bags of experience is nonsense IMO. Noticed Naisy doesn't play a 343 with the B team too. So probably more likely to work out the best tactics for the players he has instead of this nonsense. 

FF says Naismith plays a similar slow build up as the first team.

The one person with any experience or knowledge on the subject says no, that's good enough for me

7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'd put Naismith in and open it up to applicants. If I was forced to pick...Kjetil Knutsen.

Not going all Bongo but Scandinavia is an affordable and potentially profitable market. He can also get a team playing.

That's a shout 

Anyone would be better.

No motivation, no leadership, no game plan, players constantly out of position.

Could it get any worse than now and the last six months.

Every player we sign we make worse.

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

That is the question. 

Longer term if we approached Robinson now he would jump ship imo

28 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Definitely would be interm appointment 

Naismith and Mcevoy.

Hypothetically speaking of course, because no way is there any changes being made at this point of the season with Hearts in third 

If they don’t make changes they don’t get third 

Naismith for me until someone or he may be the man 

22 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

Mute point. We are stuck with this clown.  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 neilson out win lose or draw with absolutely no suggestion or thought on the horrendous shortlist that awaits us

9 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Other shout could be Djurgardens managers think they are co managers but performed really well in Europe this year not sure what the wages are like in Sweden compared to here

BackOfTheNet

He’s not going anywhere. But it’ll be something for the Sporting Director to think about, and I hope the net is cast wide if we are looking. Unless there’s managers we’ve heard of we’d be happy with, and I doubt it as any such managers will no doubt cost more than we can afford. So I’d prefer we get someone we haven’t heard of, so long as they’ve got some pedigree in whichever league they’ve operated in. Or at least have been assistants and ready for the step up to management.

merseyjambo

Hypothetically it depends if we want someone who has knowledge of the Scottish Game or not.

If we do, there are not that many candidates. Tam Courts is a decent shout, other than that there’s not an awful lot unless we go for someone like Robinson.

If we were looking in England, then personally I’d be looking at someone who is doing an unexpected job with a team. Obvious candidates are someone like Schumacher at Plymouth or Wellens at Orient. You also have someone like Steve Cotterill at Shrewsbury or Ian Evatt at Bolton, who have their teams outperforming their expectations. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Come on Neilson bed wetters let's hear the master plan

Put neilson in a rocket, fire him into space

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He’s not going anywhere. But it’ll be something for the Sporting Director to think about, and I hope the net is cast wide if we are looking. Unless there’s managers we’ve heard of we’d be happy with, and I doubt it as any such managers will no doubt cost more than we can afford. So I’d prefer we get someone we haven’t heard of, so long as they’ve got some pedigree in whichever league they’ve operated in. Or at least have been assistants and ready for the step up to management.

It's a sad truth that we are stuck with him. At least threads like these let me at least pretend things might get better!

pharmaceutical01

Robinson for me....

Did very well with the kids at Motherwell

Got St Midden playing well 

Even made Main a decent forward

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

FF says Naismith plays a similar slow build up as the first team.

The one person with any experience or knowledge on the subject says no, that's good enough for me

Ideally, you want your B team playing the same way the first team do. Celtic’s B team do it, as do the Rangers B team. 

It’s just unfortunate that’s the system we’re electing to play. 

Would be interesting to see with a blank slate if Naismith would genuinely adopt that style or if he’d let loose a bit. 

7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It would be the Chief Executive who appoints the head coach I would think. I don't think that Neilson is subordinate to Savage in Hearts hierarchy.

Edited by Martin_T

Greedy Jambo

Cheap option, Stephen Robinson.

Harder more unrealistic option Claudio Ranieri (currently head coach in serie B

Fans favourite option, Paulo Sergio

I'll get ridiculed for all 3 options but it's 3 more options than Ann has. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Naisys Tackle

Caretaker until the end of the season then ask Warburton the question depending on his West Ham future. 

Alessio Dionisi of Sassuolo

Will Still of Reims

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

It would be the Chief Executive who appoints the head coach I would think. I don't think that Neilson is subordinate to Savage in Hearts hierarchy.

I’d be very surprised if Savage and his team aren’t also looking at coaching prospects as a standard. If it’s the Chief Executive’s remit then I hope either he’s casting a wide net or is happy to splurge cash on a candidate you wouldn’t expect to coach us.

Need a JKB select, a meeting of the great minds.

4-4-2 swashbuckling attacking uber flair played by the youth team.

Save millions on coaches and backroom staff.

The board needs punted as well, JKB admin can do that job.

Make it happen !!!

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Robinson for me....

Did very well with the kids at Motherwell

Got St Midden playing well 

Even made Main a decent forward

Of all the current managers in Scotland, Robinson seems a decent shout imo.   Can't stand his voice, but his record at Motherwell and now St.Midden is good, considering their budgets.    Has experience working with the NI squad too.  Worked under Michael O'Neill too.   

St.Midden operate on a shoestring, so he's probably doing 3 jobs at the club.   No idea about English or foreign managers.

How about Robbo with Naismith as his assistant. Give them it till the end of the season and see how it goes. Would love to see him back and doing well. He would certainly let the players know what it’s all about and give the whole club a huge lift. The one thing is if it doesn’t go well it would be impossible to take for most of us. This might be the time for him though and we are just missing that one magical piece. 

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Need a JKB select, a meeting of the great minds.

4-4-2 swashbuckling attacking uber flair played by the youth team.

Save millions on coaches and backroom staff.

The board needs punted as well, JKB admin can do that job.

Make it happen !!!

You're better than that bullseye.

If you are gonnae rip others for suggesting, why not have the baws to make one too or at least admit you are Robbie till you die?

Naisys Tackle

A name thats coming around a lot is Harry Watling.  Not sure if we may be a job above where he is going to start out though.

Scott Monument
10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I’d like Owen Coyle.

Owen coyle was a very highly rated manager at his peak I believe hearts interviewed him in the past but he wanted to bring his own back room staff

Chris Wilder

Just seen he's at Watford now so never mind. Although he'll probably have been sacked by summer going by the way Watford operate.

Edited by alanjambo