**** Heart Of Midlothian V St Mirren OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD ****

Masonic

On 01/04/2023 at 16:51, Masonic said:

robbie will persist with the same tactics and style lets hope we can scrape a victory as this current run of form is no good at all looks like clark might be out as well so we may need to rely on stewart again its like de ja vu

No issue with Stewart taking over for the remainder of the season. 

Robbie is not daft, I'm sure there's been discussions on how vital this Saturdays game is for everyone connected with the club, no doubt about it. 

The ball is firmly in the coaching staffs court, it's a must win..

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Pasquale for King

• Clark Griswold

• Naisys Tackle

20 minutes ago, dannymack said:

No issue with Stewart taking over for the remainder of the season. 

Robbie is not daft, I'm sure there's been discussions on how vital this Saturdays game is for everyone connected with the club, no doubt about it. 

The ball is firmly in the coaching staffs court, it's a must win..

We have 6 games left in the winnable category. We probably need 4 wins. might get away with 3 if other results go our way. Saturday is the second on the winnable list for me. Lose it and we’ll need 4 (3)wins from 5 and I just can’t see it happening. If we can’t beat St Mirren at home in a game this important, we’ve gone - done !

KyleLafferty

This sounds mental, however I always be believe you should never just scrap what you’ve done for two seasons during a season. We have trained for 343 and 4231, and a controlled possession (I know it’s along the back 3). I think he just needs to stick to what we are doing, but just take more risks. He wants to control the ball so we don’t give up chances but we are still doing that. Maybe just let the shackles off and play that risky ball.

Im not keen on him staying anymore, but he is here. I still firmly believe we have 4-5 big results in us this season which should see us over the line. 

And in the summer if he stays, which he will. He should seriously consider a different style. 

If we get the first goal I think we can win this with the fans behind us. If they get the first goal then we’ll struggle.

I can’t see us keep a clean sheet but I’ll go for a hard fought 2-1 win.

From what I've seen so far this season (home games only) St Mirren are a harder nut to crack than either Hibs or Aberdeen. Given our current form (the decline into despair for me started with the Ranges VAR debacle) I'd bite your hand off for another 1-0 victory for the JTs.

Rocky jamboa

I'd go:-

Stewart (unfortunately)

Smith          Hill      Rowles  Cochrane

Sibbick   Devlin

Kuol            Humphrys      Gino

Shankland

Having Sibbick and Devlin in defensive mid would add a bit of energy. This is Sibbicks natural position for me as well and we'd see more from him and give him the chance to get forward more.

Doubt Robbie will go with this though. He'll stick with the formation and players that have been letting us down the last few months. 

We must turn things around this weekend or we most likely surrender 3rd place to Aberdeen. They have Kilmarnock at home and imo they will probably win. The unthinkable is that if we don't start winning again we could conceivably be bottom 6 at the split. I really thought we'd get a positive reaction at Killie and didn't, so this week is as 'must win' as it gets. Blind optimism says 3-1 to us but I've no idea how we'll manage to do it.

Lonewolflins
39 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Stewart (unfortunately)

Sibbick   Devlin

Shankland

Having Sibbick and Devlin in defensive mid would add a bit of energy. This is Sibbicks natural position for me as well and we'd see more from him and give him the chance to get forward more.

Doubt Robbie will go with this though. He'll stick with the formation and players that have been letting us down the last few months. 

Good shout about Sibbick 

46 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Stewart (unfortunately)

Sibbick   Devlin

Shankland

Sibbick's natural position is a CB, not a midfielder. He has said this himself. 

Rocky jamboa
54 minutes ago, Chimp said:

He did better for us in his first spell as a defensive midfielder. 

Just now, Rocky jamboa said:

He played less than 2 games in this position in his first spell. 

So looks like Stewart in goal, who do we have as backup? Do we need to dabble in the free transfer bin for a number 2 for our number 3?

5 minutes ago, feej said:

So looks like Stewart in goal, who do we have as backup? Do we need to dabble in the free transfer bin for a number 2 for our number 3?

Harry Stone

Ricardo Quaresma
18 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Snodgrass has never had pace but in the role of a 10, where he’s played his entire career,

Actually, he was mainly a left footed right winger, CM & AM more recently

18 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

Clark(if fit)

Atkinson, Hill, Rowles, Cochrane

Sibbick, Devlin

Gino, Humphrys, McKay

Shanks

26 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Stewart (unfortunately)

Sibbick   Devlin

Shankland

I like these ideas; it would also have been good if Kingsley was back to his best at CB or LB, as he would also be good in CM; I know someone made a thread about this, but I posted it way before that

However, it may only only happen if there's no other option during a match now, as there's been enough experimenting with players out of position; it should only be done if this is the only player OOP

I think he'd love it and it might be what he needs to get going, but we should have everyone else in their position

Oh, Kingsley for direct free kicks too

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

...I'm not keen on him staying anymore, but he is here. I still firmly believe we have 4-5 big results in us this season which should see us over the line. 

And in the summer if he stays, which he will. He should seriously consider a different style.

Agree with this; He needs to get 3rd and somebody needs to get the players hungry and focused; I don't care who that is; maybe Shankland wants to give Snodgrass the armband and be vice-captain, but he'd have to state publicly that it's his decision, not one taken by the management

Next season there has to be more variation to avoid predictability and we need to recongnise an oppositon manager's tactical change and respond quickly; the players need to be in the loop for these and remember them; that's what good teams do

This is all aside from movement off the ball and proper passing, which we need to be better at now, as well as winning the ball and keeping it

1 minute ago, feej said:

Is he ready for 1st team duties if called upon? Never seen the lad in action.

Can't be any worse than Stewart surely 😆

I haven't seen much of him to be honest just highlight reels when he's been on loan at clubs in the lower divisions. Decent shot stopper by all accounts but not sure about the rest of his play.

Still very young though and probably wouldn't fancy having to call upon him if something does happen to Stewart. Not when there's this much on the line and how tight the race is for 3rd place.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

He's not a natural CB no matter what he says

16 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Actually, he was mainly a left footed right winger, CM & AM more recently

I like these ideas; it would also have been good if Kingsley was back to his best at CB or LB, as he would also be good in CM; I know someone made a thread about this, but I posted it way before that

However, it may only only happen if there's no other option during a match now, as there's been enough experimenting with players out of position; it should only be done if this is the only player OOP

I think he'd love it and it might be what he needs to get going, but we should have everyone else in their position

Oh, Kingsley for direct free kicks too

Agree with this; He needs to get 3rd and somebody needs to get the players hungry and focused; I don't care who that is; maybe Shankland wants to give Snodgrass the armband and be vice-captain, but he'd have to state publicly that it's his decision, not one taken by the management

Next season there has to be more variation to avoid predictability and we need to recongnise an oppositon manager's tactical change and respond quickly; the players need to be in the loop for these and remember them; that's what good teams do

This is all aside from movement off the ball and proper passing, which we need to be better at now, as well as winning the ball and keeping it

Apologies- I was vague - I should have also stated wide man/AM. I was going from the recent EEN article which stated:

“A No.10 or wide man most of his life, Snodgrass is now a deep-lying, tempo-dictating midfielder”.

Regardless, up until this point of his career, he has played in an advanced position. By his own admission, he’s never had pace, so I can’t see why Robbie hasn’t played him in one of the more advanced roles. Reckon he would be far more effective.

Just now, Smithee said:

He's not a natural CB no matter what he says

I don't personally rate him there either. Doesn't have the positional awareness and not dominating enough in the air. Has all the physical attributes to be a great player but I just haven't seen him look comfortable in any position he's played in. Bit of a funny one, improved since earlier in the season but just doesn't do it for me. Always feel he has a mistake in him too and can never fully trust him or feel relaxed when he plays.

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Apologies- I was vague - I should have also stated wide man/AM. I was going from the recent EEN article which stated:

“A No.10 or wide man most of his life, Snodgrass is now a deep-lying, tempo-dictating midfielder”.

Regardless, up until this point of his career, he has played in an advanced position. By his own admission, he’s never had pace, so I can’t see why Robbie hasn’t played him in one of the more advanced roles. Reckon he would be far more effective.

No need to apologise, bud; he should be a 10 now, agreed on that 👍

8 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

No need to apologise, bud; he should be a 10 now, agreed on that 👍

I genuinely thought pre match on Saturday past, we may get to see him there. 

I think to start with, he did very well in the centre of the pitch. But as soon as teams worked out that stopping him, effectively stopped us, he should have been moved (He’s just one player being played out of position too!).

Ricardo Quaresma
40 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

I genuinely thought pre match on Saturday past, we may get to see him there. 

I think to start with, he did very well in the centre of the pitch. But as soon as teams worked out that stopping him, effectively stopped us, he should have been moved (He’s just one player being played out of position too!).

Yeah, we have a shortage of defensive mids with Beni, Haring and now Devlin out

Sibbick and Kingsley should be considered, just one if Devlin is back; nobody else out of normal position

So:

Zander / Stewart

Smith / Atkinson    Sibbick / Hill    Rowles    Cochrane

Devlin / Sibbick / Halliday       Kingsley / Halliday

Gino                Snodgrass            Forrest / McKay

Shankland

This can work home (Critical games) but mainly for away and OF home games

I wouldn't mind Forrest at RB at the weekend, but it doesn't seem appropriate, however that's what it seemed like in Perth and it worked

The whole triangular problem with Kingsley / Halliday / Cochrane could have been worked on this season, with Kingsley inside & Cochrane on left wing, if that's all we had

Cochrane also, like Kingsley, can do CB, but Kingsley is much more established

The team is much more powerful with those 2 being even reasonably effective

Who knows, maybe something like this was planned, but injuries to Kingsley scuppered them?

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good chance this weekend to close the gap to Rangers to 28 points

:sadrobbo:

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yeah, we have a shortage of defensive mids with Beni, Haring and now Devlin out

Sibbick and Kingsley should be considered, just one if Devlin is back; nobody else out of normal position

So:

Zander / Stewart

Smith / Atkinson    Sibbick / Hill    Rowles    Cochrane

Devlin / Sibbick / Halliday       Kingsley / Halliday

Gino                Snodgrass            Forrest / McKay

Shankland

This can work home (Critical games) but mainly for away and OF home games

I wouldn't mind Forrest at RB at the weekend, but it doesn't seem appropriate, however that's what it seemed like in Perth and it worked

The whole triangular problem with Kingsley / Halliday / Cochrane could have been worked on this season, with Kingsley inside & Cochrane on left wing, if that's all we had

Cochrane also, like Kingsley, can do CB, but Kingsley is much more established

The team is much more powerful with those 2 being even reasonably effective

Who knows, maybe something like this was planned, but injuries to Kingsley scuppered them?

Cannae see us getting away with that formation,  too obvious.

11 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Stewart (unfortunately)

Sibbick   Devlin

Shankland

I'd probably swap Humps for Grant purely because I don't think Humps and Shanks pair well from the start, but otherwise I think this is a really solid team. 

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Stewart (unfortunately)

Sibbick   Devlin

Shankland

Not a bad looking team, seen 

a few good ones chosen now, but as you say it will be more of the same. 

Is Harry Stone able to get a shot? 

I know its maybe harsh on Ross Stewart, but it would be a great chance to see what he's made of? 

I’d go a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield.

About time we bossed the middle of the park. 

Shanks and Humphs up front. Dynamite 🧨 

Howdy Doody Jambo
25 minutes ago, basscom said:

I’d go a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield.

About time we bossed the middle of the park. 

Shanks and Humphs up front. Dynamite 🧨 

That would doofer me,

keep it simple 

I'm sure the player's would understand the formation 

Let the opposition worry about us not us about them 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Is Harry Stone able to get a shot? 

I know its maybe harsh on Ross Stewart, but it would be a great chance to see what he's made of? 

He struggled to get a game on loan for Partick so maybe not the prospect we hoped. 

Ricardo Quaresma
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Cannae see us getting away with that formation,  too obvious.

Is this about the illegal cloning, or illegal number of men? 🤔😆

4-4-2. Back 4

Atkinson, Hill, Rowles, Cochrane.

Sibbick and Devlin central mid. Let's get on the front foot, win our battles instead of inviting the press, as we are now in a battle.

That set up should be able to free up the other 4 whoever they be. Although Gino, McKay wide. Humphrys Shanks up top my preferred. This game is now huge, if we do not start performing I fail to see where points would come from.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Is this about the illegal cloning, or illegal number of men? 🤔😆

It's only illegal if you get caught....

LochcarronJambo

Just want to see, for once, Neilson set the team up with an intensity /desire from the off &  press more

Gorgie_Rules
On 04/04/2023 at 08:41, JimmyCant said:

We have 6 games left in the winnable category. We probably need 4 wins. might get away with 3 if other results go our way. Saturday is the second on the winnable list for me. Lose it and we’ll need 4 (3)wins from 5 and I just can’t see it happening. If we can’t beat St Mirren at home in a game this important, we’ve gone - done !

This is exactly the way I see it. On one hand our form is poor and we are terrible away from home, on the other we have put ourselves in a position where we probably need 4 wins to finish 3rd.

1. Ross County (H)

2. St Mirren (H)

3. Hibs (H)

4. Aberdeen (H)

5. Livi/St Mirren (a)

6. Hibs (a)

I still believe 4 wins from those likely fixtures is possible going by our home record. Saturday is a must win.

2 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

This is exactly the way I see it. On one hand our form is poor and we are terrible away from home, on the other we have put ourselves in a position where we probably need 4 wins to finish 3rd.

1. Ross County (H)

2. St Mirren (H)

3. Hibs (H)

4. Aberdeen (H)

5. Livi/St Mirren (a)

6. Hibs (a)

I still believe 4 wins from those likely fixtures is possible going by our home record. Saturday is a must win.

4 is definitely possible if the levels go up. It’s been a while since we played at home so maybe we’re being overly pessimistic having had so many away games of late.

Certainly it has to start on Saturday, the second easiest home game we have left. 2 derbies that hopefully take care of themselves for attitude and probably/possibly a decider home to Aberdeen. 3 wins might be enough if one of them is against Aberdeen and Hibs don’t get a run together.

19 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

That game and a half you mean? 

The Old Tolbooth
21 hours ago, EIEIO said:

From what I've seen so far this season (home games only) St Mirren are a harder nut to crack than either Hibs or Aberdeen. Given our current form (the decline into despair for me started with the Ranges VAR debacle) I'd bite your hand off for another 1-0 victory for the JTs.

That disastrous Rangers game is where I believe it all started to unravel for us as well, don't get me wrong, our performances were bollox long before this, but this game is the one that started the rot. 

20 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Stewart (unfortunately)

Sibbick   Devlin

Shankland

I like the look of that and but would take Humps out, and put in either Grant or Snodgrass (if Robbie will allow him without a nosebleed to cross the half way line), we need to try something different to rescue this season now before it's too late, seeing as the board are spineless and doing nothing about the clueless one. 

6 minutes ago, King prawn said:

That game and a half you mean? 

It's mental. The amount of fans who have this sort of blurred vision of how good a DM he is because of a good 70 odd minutes against Rangers. He had 1 good game in a position (bearing in mind it was his debut and wanting to impress) and everyone seems to think that's where he should be playing now. I really do think a lot of folk forget how little he actually played for us. 

I'm not saying players can't play in other positions because obviously they can and some do much better when they switch so it can often be a positive thing, but in Sibbick's case he doesn't have the attributes for a midfielder IMO. His brief minutes in his game and a half doesn't change my mind on that.

I reckon if the manager or his previous managers thought he'd be a good midfielder then they'd play him there. 

buzzbomb1958

WE WILL NOT WIN ON SATURDAY, THIS TEAM HAVE CHUCKED IT, THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG GOING ON HERE , ROBBIE NEILSON WILL NOT TURN THIS AROUND HE DOESNT HAVE THE TACTICAL BRAIN OR MAN MANAGEMENT SKILLS TO DO SO , IT IS NOW CLEAR HE IS A CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER AT BEST .

Hm, tough one.  Does the shape even matter!?

Stewart

Smth Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Devlin Grant

Gino Snoddy ????

Shanks

Stewart

Smth Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Gino Grant Devlin ????

Humps Shanks

???? = Baz, Forrest, Kuol, christ maybe Halliday, maybe Humps in the first one, and move Snod left?

The important thing.  The only thing.  They have to play dangerously.  They need to WANT to get in behind and get themselves and that bloody ball in the box.  They need to want St Mirren shitting themselves and peppering their goal.  Forget "controlling" the game, go out and get bloody stuck in and blow them away.

Bunny Munro

I always liked, in his first spell, when Robbie played a 4-4-2 with one attacking full back and one defending full back, with a lopsided midfield (one winger and one wide centre).

Clark

Atkinson Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Grant Devlin Kio Forrest 

Shankland Hunphries.

On the ball it becomes a 3-5-2 with Atkinson joining the midfield, off the ball a 4-4-2.

I'd play Smith CB instead of Sibbick, and put Atkinson right back.

Smith has played CB in the past and thought he was excellent every time he filled in there. Reads the game will and actually quite good in the air.

4 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I'd play Smith CB instead of Sibbick, and put Atkinson right back.

Smith has played CB in the past and thought he was excellent every time he filled in there. Reads the game will and actually quite good in the air.

Smudge has been brilliant for us, but he's getting caught out more and more.  Ball watching a bit, slow to react a lot.  Like you, always liked him at CH, never let us down there.  Or CM actually, including going forward from there.  But I think that ship has sailed mate.  IMO of course.

What we need is a CH who dominant in the air.  We simply dont have one available so I'd be sticking with Sibbick-Rowles as they do everything else well basically.  I also find that Toby is one of only maybe 2 players at present, along with Shanks, who actually tries to be very positive on the ball, take a risk or two and make things happen.  I like his ownership.  We need that.  Can't lose it.  If he could just be better defending set pieces, he'd be an unbelievable CH imo.

Just now, TheBigO said:

Smudge has been brilliant for us, but he's getting caught out more and more.  Ball watching a bit, slow to react a lot.  Like you, always liked him at CH, never let us down there.  Or CM actually, including going forward from there.  But I think that ship has sailed mate.  IMO of course.

What we need is a CH who dominant in the air.  We simply dont have one available so I'd be sticking with Sibbick-Rowles as they do everything else well basically.  I also find that Toby is one of only maybe 2 players at present, along with Shanks, who actually tries to be very positive on the ball, take a risk or two and make things happen.  I like his ownership.  We need that.  Can't lose it.  If he could just be better defending set pieces, he'd be an unbelievable CH imo.

He wouldn't need to run as much at CB though, don't need the same legs in that position if you can read the game. 

I think Sibbick has gone off the boil recently mate and he's a bit of a liability again. His distribution has improved since earlier in the season I'll grant him that. He does have the physical attributes to be an unbelievable CH but that's it IMO.  Not only is he quite poor in the air his positional sense is still all over the place and like you say struggles at defending set pieces - something which is hugely important. Doesn't seem to come very naturally to him at all and I don't feel we are solid at the back when he plays.

Ex member of the SaS

A must win game that unfortunately I can't see us winning. St's will come out and press, tackle and get stuck in with passion and desire. They will score early ,heads will go down and third will slip away. 

I seriously hope I am wrong but last week after the break was the ideal game to get the team up for it, and it didn't happen. Robbie and the coaches have to take a long serious look at themselves and unless the team is 100% behind them, then I can't see them being able to turn this around.

Never want Hearts to lose but any residual faith I had in Robbie has well and truly gone and until he changes or goes there is little hope. The fall back on Europe places is a false hope and we should be cementing third every season. The money, prestige and bragging rights are at stake. 

22 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

This sounds mental, however I always be believe you should never just scrap what you’ve done for two seasons during a season. We have trained for 343 and 4231, and a controlled possession (I know it’s along the back 3). I think he just needs to stick to what we are doing, but just take more risks. He wants to control the ball so we don’t give up chances but we are still doing that. Maybe just let the shackles off and play that risky ball.

Im not keen on him staying anymore, but he is here. I still firmly believe we have 4-5 big results in us this season which should see us over the line. 

You sure we have trained...it don't seem that way! It has been like sleep-walking football.

As for 'risky balls'  that is about all Mckay has been trying for months, stupid flicks getting nowhere and he just kept doing it failure after failure!

42 minutes ago, Chimp said:

He wouldn't need to run as much at CB though, don't need the same legs in that position if you can read the game. 

I think Sibbick has gone off the boil recently mate and he's a bit of a liability again. His distribution has improved since earlier in the season I'll grant him that. He does have the physical attributes to be an unbelievable CH but that's it IMO.  Not only is he quite poor in the air his positional sense is still all over the place and like you say struggles at defending set pieces - something which is hugely important. Doesn't seem to come very naturally to him at all and I don't feel we are solid at the back when he plays.

I get what you mean, but I don't think our defensive issues (other than set pieces!) are defensive personnel as such.  Our press ahead of them is non-existent so it's very very easy to get at our defence.  I think that is the issue.  Allied to our midfield constantly giving the ball away and not winning it back.  Also we don't block crosses.  Guys have the freedom to set up and swing it in over and over and over.  That Armstrong guys was just allowed to pop it  in the box any time he wanted.  Same Aberdeen.  Go on, have a cross, see what happens eh!

Toby wins his duels, no one gets past him.  He judges pretty well when to step out and intercept/make a tackle too.  His only issue I see is cross balls.  Big issue for a CH, likes!  But still his only issue I think.

I want us playing with pace and power.  No one has more of it than Toby in our team.  I just wouldn't leave him out.  His attitude alone is about best in class.

Don't love saying it, but my pref would be Smith is an experienced, versatile option on the bench. Ideally he wouldn't make the team.  We don't have another viable option though.  MAYBE Nat or Forrest if its a RWB.  But thats a push.  Natty is soft as shite and Forrest, I don't mind, but the whole mindset of the team needs to change to play a winger at RWB and I don't see it.  So its a 4 with Smudge RB for me for now.  If we had Halks, I'd be championing Toby for RB probably.