Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed

That thing you do

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Perhaps, but only if a competent owner like Budge had followed Mercer. Robinson ran up huge debts and Vlad squandered millions whilst avoiding paying off the debts the previous owners had run up. Budge's approach of patient organic growth was the right one even if the club was a bit fragile on the field.

Yip, 30k plus.

Hibs spoiled it, no idea why they had a gripe against being called Edinburgh Hearts, playing in Maroon, with Maroon seats and Mercer in charge.

Selfish. 

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

23 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, 30k plus.

Hibs spoiled it, no idea why they had a gripe against being called Edinburgh Hearts, playing in Maroon, with Maroon seats and Mercer in charge.

Selfish. 

They may come to regret it in the next year - unless another multi-millionaire with Scottish ancestry comes out of another Continent...You don't usually find the kids share their father's interest...Just look at DUFC.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

They may come to regret it in the next year - unless another multi-millionaire with Scottish ancestry comes out of another Continent...You don't usually find the kids share their father's interest...Just look at DUFC.

Dunno, 

If I was an American , just Inherited millions,  the first thing I'd want to do is fritter it away in an a cold country on a business and  in a sport I have little interest in and for little or no emotional or personal award.

Be top of my list......

ShortmanRossco
1 hour ago, Tayside Jambo said:

United's facilities (in fact most) clubs) are fairly sub par. Use the St Andrews Uni cricket pavilion as a base and have the run of the pitches. Plenty of space but not ideal. Their city counterparts have pumped money into Dundee and Angus College to renovate the facilities at Gardyne road campus and have the run of the bottom floor pretty much. Got a fairly good deal and the college could have taken them for a bit more money in all honesty. Outwith the OF and Aberdeen who own decent training facilities, there is Hibs who own their land and cow shed but wouldn't call it elite, and us who don't own it but have access to top facilities, not many other clubs would have facilities of infrastructure that would have a club like Man City group looking to invest. 

Has there actually been renovation on the college less putting the DFC badge on the doors? I've certainly not seen much evidence of it.

Tayside Jambo
5 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Has there actually been renovation on the college less putting the DFC badge on the doors? I've certainly not seen much evidence of it.

Think they have been able to renovate the bottom floor and have sole access to it as a gym facility. Not been in there since before they became involved, and only accessed the pool up the stairs.

ShortmanRossco
1 minute ago, Tayside Jambo said:

Think they have been able to renovate the bottom floor and have sole access to it as a gym facility. Not been in there since before they became involved, and only accessed the pool up the stairs.

Must be within certain times then. Usually play 5s there on a Friday night and it's still public access. Often see some of their team carrying out some of their own equipment. Looks very amateurish 🫣

Tayside Jambo
2 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Must be within certain times then. Usually play 5s there on a Friday night and it's still public access. Often see some of their team carrying out some of their own equipment. Looks very amateurish 🫣

Would imagine they are all done by that time of the week given usually a game the next day, but I am not one who gets football ops. It is quite amateurish. Most things about the club are though. Just have to look at their stadium plans that they can't afford!

I wonder if their player wages are still 150% of their income - as it was in Covid times! Ridiculous way to run a club. Surprised they've not been in bigger trouble sooner.

4 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Who’s paying for all that though?

I think ground share works if dens & Tannadice sold and both clubs work together to pay for new stadium. 

I'm not sure Dens and Tannadice are worth anything other than the land, and they're going to have to acquire new land anyway. Swapping with that sport performance center or whatever it's called would get them enough land, retain community pitches (with some added novelty and history), and if they demolished all but the main stands at the old grounds, there's some land there to sell for housing.

The hard view is that someone is going to have to pay for stadium construction one way or another and it's never going to be covered by the cost of a sale. Even in Edinburgh in a good real estate market when it came up during admin, Tynecastle was only ever worth a few million pounds, and while Dundee is growing I'd have to guess that the market is certainly lower.

Dundee's owner is all hot to build a brand new stadium at Camperdown. I'm just saying don't build it there, build it in the middle of town right where you already are, and do it with United. Far more chance of the two clubs being able to afford it together rather than separate.

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

TBH it would be interesting if the 2 Dundee clubs merged. Single team city like Aberdeen would mean talk of the "New Firm derby" returning. The tricky thing is whether fans would unite under one team, lose interest or even worse go join the hoards of glory hunters who identify with the uglies... Dundee is simply not a big enough city to have 2 strong teams anymore. There are also a lot of League clubs in towns near Dundee.

There would obviously be a few who would never accept a merger but unlike with other teams in Scotland (or the rest of the UK for that matter) back in the 80s their hooligan gangs merged under one banner and could make a nuisance of themselves following either team. On that basis there might be a bit of realism about what the city can actually sustain.

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed. I think owners have to take a long-term view of things like this and the Inverness clubs did over their merger. I remember attending a stag night in Inverness ages ago, and being unhappy when returning to Glasgow I found the train full of Celtic fans on their way to a Sunday game.  Following a team is expensive, particularly so if you have to take a 3hr train to home games too! Consequently this fits with your observation about the younger fans in Inverness. 

The Scottish game needs rationalisation - too many clubs. Personally I do wonder what would've happened if Mercer had been successful. Sure oldies would have been angered but there would be a lot of under 30s supporting a single Edinburgh team by now I reckon...

I watched some of the bumf about Darvel during their Falkirk game, and I have to say, pet projects by millionaires with village teams is the last thing the league structure needs. The counter to this is that I'd love Queens Park to get steal back some support from the OF, but the mess Partick are in shows how impossible this dream of theirs probably is... There is an inevitability of Ross County eventually going backwards, hopefully not as dramatically at Gretna did before them...

To be fair, of we did merge with hibs, I said at the time I wouldn't support the new team. Mind you, I'm "slightly" older than the 30 somethings you mentioned.

BangkokHearts
20 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye we should. 

The *******s taken us to court, voted fir us ti go down and told us ti sick it up.

Correct. No mercy or sympathy for any of them.

TAKE YOUR MEDICINE. 

Tayside Jambo
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I wonder if their player wages are still 150% of their income - as it was in Covid times! Ridiculous way to run a club. Surprised they've not been in bigger trouble sooner.

Think they are down to 71% now

45B00AA3-DB06-4E9F-8A21-EB47E8847A8A.jpeg

Was sent that from some Arab mates. The last four points are quite stark and worrying.

Edited by Tayside Jambo

25 minutes ago, Tayside Jambo said:

Was sent that from some Arab mates. The last four points are quite stark and worrying.

👍

29 minutes ago, Tayside Jambo said:

Interesting wording "if relegated he guarantees they will come straight back up". Likely but no guarantee.

Tayside Jambo
4 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Interesting wording "if relegated he guarantees they will come straight back up". Likely but no guarantee.

Not sure how he guarantees it, if he isn't willing to fund them. 

5 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Certainly didn't happen for them last time...

As we know these are horrible times for the fans and I don't take any pleasure in reading of karma as they like virtually everyone else except ICT acted out of self interest 3 years ago. Does anyone know if it is a secured loan as presumably he will sell the ground and training facilities along with players to realise the debt. If its unsecured they should go bust and start again like The Rangers. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, Tayside Jambo said:

United's facilities (in fact most) clubs) are fairly sub par. Use the St Andrews Uni cricket pavilion as a base and have the run of the pitches. Plenty of space but not ideal. Their city counterparts have pumped money into Dundee and Angus College to renovate the facilities at Gardyne road campus and have the run of the bottom floor pretty much. Got a fairly good deal and the college could have taken them for a bit more money in all honesty. Outwith the OF and Aberdeen who own decent training facilities, there is Hibs who own their land and cow shed but wouldn't call it elite, and us who don't own it but have access to top facilities, not many other clubs would have facilities of infrastructure that would have a club like Man City group looking to invest. 

Summed up well between yourself and @jamboinglasgowwhy Scotland is looked down on

Tayside Jambo
29 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Summed up well between yourself and @jamboinglasgowwhy Scotland is looked down on

Through my line of work, I visit lots of sporting venues throughout Scotland. The infrastructure for most sports is horrendous, yet in some sports we, despite the poor facilities we are producing decent athletes competing at good levels (Swimming, Tennis, Athletics).

Swimming for example. We have our national squads etc training at their base at Stirling Uni, and yet the pool there isn't an Olympic sized pool. It was 50m in length before they tiled it. Dundee's pool has been closed and not re opened since Covid. The Commonwealth in Edinburgh is a crumbling mess, yet we have had world class swimmers compete at the highest level in their field for as long as I can recall. Like all things in Scotland, investment is needed, but there is a lack of funding just now with government budgets stretched and sport sadly being a lower priority than other projects. 

The Old Tolbooth

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind, tick tock and all that :lol: 

I had an Arab fan boasting to me the year we were voted out of the league, stating that they've got the third biggest budget in Scotland now, and they'll be taking Liam Boyce from us, because they can! 

Forward 3 years or so, and who's laughing now, you horrible, toothless, spoon burning, tramps! 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Another summary of the AGM

The success we have had in my tenure ..................................... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Footballfirst

I've had a look through their accounts and there are a few one-off items that they won't have this season.

Included in their football income was £1m in "donations" in respect of season ticket holders who did not seek credits for games missed during Covid.

In  "other income" was a £600k payment on their business interruption insurance and a government grant of £173k.

They also received a tax credit of £1.3m in respect of "Research and Development" work undertaken over two seasons.  I have no idea of the nature of the R&D activities, but it sounds like a good wheeze to get cash from a UK government scheme.  They anticipate putting in a claim for this season too. 

Their "Operating Loss" (day to day trading) was £1.9m. That was offset by player trading (£1.27m) and the previously mentioned tax credit.

The difference in prize money between finishing 4th and 12th will be the order of £750k.

The Harry Souttar sell on fee will be received in instalments over the next three seasons, due to the way the deal with Stoke was structured.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 hours ago, Tayside Jambo said:

Through my line of work, I visit lots of sporting venues throughout Scotland. The infrastructure for most sports is horrendous, yet in some sports we, despite the poor facilities we are producing decent athletes competing at good levels (Swimming, Tennis, Athletics).

Swimming for example. We have our national squads etc training at their base at Stirling Uni, and yet the pool there isn't an Olympic sized pool. It was 50m in length before they tiled it. Dundee's pool has been closed and not re opened since Covid. The Commonwealth in Edinburgh is a crumbling mess, yet we have had world class swimmers compete at the highest level in their field for as long as I can recall. Like all things in Scotland, investment is needed, but there is a lack of funding just now with government budgets stretched and sport sadly being a lower priority than other projects. 

Just want to pick you up on a few points. 

national squads do not train at Stirling Uni as a matter of course. It is however the base for Uni of Stirling. Scottish Swimming do have their headquarters at the Uni. The pool is a 50m 6 lane pool. 

Commonwealth pool has undergone a massive renovation (with exception of the ceiling which is protected) and is a great facility with an 8 lane Olympic 50m pool, diving pit that turns into a 6 lane 25m pool as does the small teaching pool (4lane 25m)

Dundee’s Olympia is closed due to tiles falling off and council has no budget to repair for now. 

yes Scotland has produced some world class swimmers over the past 12 - 16 years but much of this is down to the quality of coaching as well as the support structure for Uni teams such as nutritionists, physiotherapists, strength and conditioning as well as more technology for testing Lactate blood levels and camera systems for technical development. 

the Americans train in a 25yard pool most of the season and not having 50m pools to train in is not a deal breaker, it helps. 

facilities help but world class coaching overcomes most of that

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Swimmer said:

national squads do not train at Stirling Uni as a matter of course. It is however the base for Uni of Stirling. Scottish Swimming do have their headquarters at the Uni. The pool is a 50m 6 lane pool. 

Commonwealth pool has undergone a massive renovation (with exception of the ceiling which is protected) and is a great facility with an 8 lane Olympic 50m pool, diving pit that turns into a 6 lane 25m pool as does the small teaching pool (4lane 25m)

Dundee’s Olympia is closed due to tiles falling off and council has no budget to repair for now. 

yes Scotland has produced some world class swimmers over the past 12 - 16 years but much of this is down to the quality of coaching as well as the support structure for Uni teams such as nutritionists, physiotherapists, strength and conditioning as well as more technology for testing Lactate blood levels and camera systems for technical development. 

the Americans train in a 25yard pool most of the season and not having 50m pools to train in is not a deal breaker, it helps. 

Yip, seen a documentary about a American boxer, who was shorter, lighter and had to train out in the woods, but he had the best coaching. 

He beat a Russian that had all the technology to aid him and had even killed a boxer previously. 

11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, seen a documentary about a American boxer, who was shorter, lighter and had to train out in the woods, but he had the best coaching. 

He beat a Russian that had all the technology to aid him and had even killed a boxer previously. 

Rocky 2?

19 hours ago, jonesy said:

I was thinking about this, and then thought, nah.

I want a financial default, admin, points deductions, signing bans, the whole Vlad. Only they aren't getting 8000 folk shoveling their hard earned dough to make sure they stay alive and bounce back stronger than ever. They're in trouble. 

By 2024 Lorraine Kelly will be doing sponsored titwanks round the back of the Cleppy Inn for £2.50 a punter.

Thought we were getting to grips with inflation, I'm reminded of the Blackadder scene with Baldrick down the docks...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Tayside Jambo said:

:thumbsup:

Interesting posts 

28 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So reading the above the fans have stepped up well last years and the fans are told it's up to them whether they have a good budget.

Reading between the lines, he is saying "I'm bored with this play toy now, and I ain't chucking anymore cash at it! " 

The Hogfather
8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

TBH it would be interesting if the 2 Dundee clubs merged. Single team city like Aberdeen would mean talk of the "New Firm derby" returning. The tricky thing is whether fans would unite under one team, lose interest or even worse go join the hoards of glory hunters who identify with the uglies... Dundee is simply not a big enough city to have 2 strong teams anymore. There are also a lot of League clubs in towns near Dundee.

No chance either set of fans get behind a merged side. 

The Hogfather
6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm not sure Dens and Tannadice are worth anything other than the land, and they're going to have to acquire new land anyway. Swapping with that sport performance center or whatever it's called would get them enough land, retain community pitches (with some added novelty and history), and if they demolished all but the main stands at the old grounds, there's some land there to sell for housing.

The hard view is that someone is going to have to pay for stadium construction one way or another and it's never going to be covered by the cost of a sale. Even in Edinburgh in a good real estate market when it came up during admin, Tynecastle was only ever worth a few million pounds, and while Dundee is growing I'd have to guess that the market is certainly lower.

Dundee's owner is all hot to build a brand new stadium at Camperdown. I'm just saying don't build it there, build it in the middle of town right where you already are, and do it with United. Far more chance of the two clubs being able to afford it together rather than separate.

Absolutely no room on either site to build a stadium much bigger than what’s already there. 

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Thought we were getting to grips with inflation, I'm reminded of the Blackadder scene with Baldrick down the docks...

How much for a sh*g!

23 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Absolutely no room on either site to build a stadium much bigger than what’s already there. 

That's why I'm saying they should swap with the sporting facility a few blocks to the east (the "DISC" I think it's called). They two full-sized pitches side by side that would be plenty big enough for a 17,000 or so seat stadium.

image.png.170ec346b224997df4586af5c4944698.png

On closer inspection one of them is a field hocky pitch, I guess, so I suppose that would have to be accommodated. Still, I'd call that a far superior site than going all the way out to Camperdown.

Tayside Jambo
3 hours ago, Swimmer said:

I agree the coaching makes more of the impact, I know a lot of clubs train in 20m school pools and are punching above their weight at meets across the country. 

Commonwealth will always be dated for me, and yes it has renovations, still think it might have been better to relocate but finance dictates that. It is still a good Olympic pool with the diving also meaning can hold nation and various district events. 

my points about Stirling Uni and Dundee were to highlight that basic things were overlooked. The tiles falling off the ceiling partly isn’t great but not something you’d expect in a fairly new venue, and the ever so slightly shorter pool at Stirling isn’t ideal although can still offer decent training venue. 

Tayside Jambo
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

That's why I'm saying they should swap with the sporting facility a few blocks to the east (the "DISC" I think it's called). They two full-sized pitches side by side that would be plenty big enough for a 17,000 or so seat stadium.

image.png.170ec346b224997df4586af5c4944698.png

On closer inspection one of them is a field hocky pitch, I guess, so I suppose that would have to be accommodated. Still, I'd call that a far superior site than going all the way out to Camperdown.

Correct, top pitch at the DISC (Dundee International Sports Centre) is an Astro but could do with being relaid as is the old generation and not fully looked after, the bottom is the hockey pitch. It’s also quite a banked hill so wouldn’t be ideal location, very tight to the houses and medical building to the top left of both pitches. The ideal place for both to relocate would have been at the Regional Performance Centre (RPC), just north of the Kingsway at the Forfar lights. Dundee’s youth teams play their games on the Astro and the indoor pitch. Although the roof is too low for official games above a certain age to be held in their. Which is mad when it was a blank canvas, just an oversight in the construction stage. 

F65F03FA-D2AD-4223-B638-3D9516F7D61B.jpeg

429B1C3A-3972-4EA7-9197-996113826761.png

3 minutes ago, Tayside Jambo said:

Correct, top pitch at the DISC (Dundee International Sports Centre) is an Astro but could do with being relaid as is the old generation and not fully looked after, the bottom is the hockey pitch. It’s also quite a banked hill so wouldn’t be ideal location, very tight to the houses and medical building to the top left of both pitches. The ideal place for both to relocate would have been at the Regional Performance Centre (RPC), just north of the Kingsway at the Forfar lights. Dundee’s youth teams play their games on the Astro and the indoor pitch. Although the roof is too low for official games above a certain age to be held in their. Which is mad when it was a blank canvas, just an oversight in the construction stage. 

F65F03FA-D2AD-4223-B638-3D9516F7D61B.jpeg

429B1C3A-3972-4EA7-9197-996113826761.png

Interesting, cheers.

If they did merge what could the new club be called?

Discovery FC,

Silvery Tay FC,

Dundee Utility FC,

Desperate Dandee FC...

It's out of my hands. 😄

Tayside Jambo
8 minutes ago, martoon said:

Discovery FC,

Silvery Tay FC,

Dundee Utility FC,

Desperate Dandee FC...

It's out of my hands. 😄

the 4 J’s

Jute, Jam, Journalism, Junkies?

1 hour ago, Tayside Jambo said:

the 4 J’s

Jute, Jam, Journalism, Junkies?

The possibilities are endless, TJ, and none of them complimentary. 😊

Uglies won't go for it.  It increases the chances of either or both missing out on Champions League chance. 

I wish they'd emigrate to Australia. 

7 hours ago, martoon said:

Discovery FC,

Silvery Tay FC,

Dundee Utility FC,

Desperate Dandee FC...

It's out of my hands. 😄

The Dundee Discovery has a nice American ring to it 

37 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Rumours flying about Dundee that the rug is about to be pulled from under them.  

I'm off to buy a shed load of popcorn and some wipes for the ceiling 

• davemclaren changed the title to Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed