Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed

That thing you do

4 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Talking to a pal who supports United and they have just had their AGM, which had a small protest at it.

Anyway, outcome of the AGM is

- Tony Asghar and Liam Fox not going anywhere "Tony is his man"

- Ogrens not putting any more money into the pot

- Ogrens not coming over next season

- Seems business and sales (latest being Rory McLeod to Fulham) are the order of the day

- Sales will go back into owners pocket, so no money in the club.

Interesting question is, what would be the best strategy for United fans:

Take relegation into the Championship, lower the asking price, possibly make fan ownership like FOH viable.

Try and stay up, knowing that a buy out costs more and the club is just going to sit 6-11th the next few years

Boycott games and take money out of the owners pockets

Protest at every game until their gone.

I think Administration is a very near certainty if the above is true. Be as well taking the points off this season if it comes to that.

Think turmoil is heading to Tannadice St

Discuss....

:sweeet:

image.png.a9fd5c89cb09503fc483bab5b724b819.png

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

18 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Used to be very much in favour of an expanded top flight, but not sure now. Would more games with less at stake, really be that much of a draw? 

Bigger picture, four less games against the old firm means a much much better chance of running them close to the title making all games very much with something at stake IMO

25 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Can we just get rid of Dundee, the whole place not just their shitty football teams. 

:jjno:

:seething:

4 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

We shouldn’t want any Scottish teams to go bust 

Avoiding the common and too easy "**** them" response - genuinely, why not?

Taking sentimentality out of it, a lot of this thread has turned to league reconstruction talk, and teams ceasing to exist would bring restructure to the table, and the potential benefits of that.  So sincerely, why not?

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Aye, call it the Glasgow cup and they can play each other home and away. Job done and Sky Quota ticked. 

Or bring in a community shield, they'll be playing each other most seasons that way anyway.

Used to be  a Glasgow Cup years ago.

it was a decent competition featuring =Rangers, Celtic, Partick Thistle, Queens Park, Third Lanark and Clyde.

Must admit never thought of a twenty team league always thought reconstruction would mean sixteen teams but lack of games would be the problem.

Twenty teams is a novel idea, we would have to promote eight teams from the Championship.

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

There's only about 4 I would actually want to stay in business, TBF.

Hearts, Edinburgh, Bonnyrigg Rose for me. 

Edinburgh at a push to be fair. 

5 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Will not forget their actions during our demotion.  They had a chance to vote for a 14 team top flight that would have meant no harm to any club but didn't.  Feck them and their even worse rivals.

Well said. **** that diddy lot. 

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and Stranraer. 

All the clubs stitched up by Celtic's need for their 8.75IAR and Neil 'get it down my throat Peter' Doncaster's desire to ensure it happened.

Every other club can go fling shite at itself. Inverness are maybe allowed a hose to wash it off afterwards, though.

Correct

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I was thinking about this, and then thought, nah.

I want a financial default, admin, points deductions, signing bans, the whole Vlad. Only they aren't getting 8000 folk shoveling their hard earned dough to make sure they stay alive and bounce back stronger than ever. They're in trouble. 

By 2024 Lorraine Kelly will be doing sponsored titwanks round the back of the Cleppy Inn for £2.50 a punter.

In please

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I want a financial default, admin, points deductions, signing bans, the whole Vlad. Only they aren't getting 8000 folk shoveling their hard earned dough to make sure they stay alive and bounce back stronger than ever. They're in trouble. 

By 2024 Lorraine Kelly will be doing sponsored titwanks round the back of the Cleppy Inn for £2.50 a punter.

:rofl:

When you put it like that.... 

:sweeet:

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

4_Lorraine3JPG.jpg

"It's an extra pound if you spill it on my tracksuit. 'mon the Arabs."

I was thinking more along the lines of 

adc5345d3a919dc80f4d19344d09def0.jpg

She spent her money well at Spire Murrayfield and a gastric band isn't too expensive

part_time_jambo
5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why not? There are plenty of other teams in the pyramid to take their place.

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

All the clubs stitched up by Celtic's need for their 8.75IAR and Neil 'get it down my throat Peter' Doncaster's desire to ensure it happened.

Every other club can go fling shite at itself. Inverness are maybe allowed a hose to wash it off afterwards, though.

All cool with me but I like my hatred to move with the times rather than be stuck in the covid moment. 

It’s a moving feast. 

LochcarronJambo
5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I agree except for a certain two clubs based in Glasgow

28 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thought East Fife supported us as well? But yer right, gey few.

If the two Dundee teams are in the Championship next season then I imagine there will be new pressure to share a stadium. No shortage of volunteers from KB to help pull down Dens Park....

Glamorgan Jambo

The only enjoyable thing about the summer 2020 debacle was when the SPFL invited United to join them in the proceedings at the Court of Session. Despite us not winning there the Court did not award the other sides costs to us. At which point the SPFL sent invoices to United and I think Raith. Utd refused to pay their share whereupon the SPFL withheld the payment due from the next cash distribution.

3 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

The only enjoyable thing about the summer 2020 debacle was when the SPFL invited United to join them in the proceedings at the Court of Session. Despite us not winning there the Court did not award the other sides costs to us. At which point the SPFL sent invoices to United and I think Raith. Utd refused to pay their share whereupon the SPFL withheld the payment due from the next cash distribution.

To challenge our demotion legally, we had to challenge the promotions of Dundee Utd, Raith and Cove Rangers. 

Those three clubs didn’t really have any option other than to defend their position so I don’t really blame them. 

All in the past now though, just keep the hatred for those turncoat ****s Dundee. 

Glamorgan Jambo
3 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

To challenge our demotion legally, we had to challenge the promotions of Dundee Utd, Raith and Cove Rangers. 

Those three clubs didn’t really have any option other than to defend their position so I don’t really blame them. 

All in the past now though, just keep the hatred for those turncoat ****s Dundee. 

they didn’t really need to join the action. It was up to the SPFL to defend their decision.

3 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

they didn’t really need to join the action. It was up to the SPFL to defend their decision.

Would have been crazy not to which is why the SPFL wanted them on board. 

If it was Hearts we’d have gone mental if they hadn’t (and we’d have paid the legal fees). 

But thankfully all in the past so not up for arguing about it 👍 

16 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Would have been crazy not to which is why the SPFL wanted them on board. 

If it was Hearts we’d have gone mental if they hadn’t (and we’d have paid the legal fees). 

But thankfully all in the past so not up for arguing about it 👍 

Not sure.

There was a point in the court case the Dundee Utd and SPFL lawyers were at cross purposes. And the judge slapped down the Utd lawyer. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

We took them to court ya bam🤣

Well, **** them, they let us take them to court.

🤪

Get doon!

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Well, **** them, they let us take them to court.

🤪

Get doon!

Fair point, then we stole their manager 🤣

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Fair point, then we stole their manager 🤣

Then young Neilson. 

Hopefully Levitt to follow.

5 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I would prefer a top league of 16 or 18 Each club plays one another once home and away but due to the TV demands it's never going to happen. A compromise would be a 14 team top league. Play one another twice then split into top 8 and bottom 6 and play one another twice again.

The split to me screams bush league, like our league is so shit we have to engineer good games. The Scottish game is better than that, yes it suffers in the shadow of the Sky-inflated EPL but so would most leagues. Again, the League Cup is run by the same organization as the Prem and the money passes through the same hands. Just absolutely bowdlerize the League Cup format as much as it takes to get the OF games you need.

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

In which case I'm happy to help out. 

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

Didn't say I wouldn't be willing to offer a donation to the fighting fund, mind. But only if she wears a Kjell Olofsson mask.

How much for a Jim McLean mask? 

Allowayjambo1874
12 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Last time I ran the numbers the city of Dundee had one of the highest per capita attendances of anywhere in Scotland by quite a distance (Ross County being an odd one to calculate, of course). I think the rivalry feeds both clubs, and you can see with Aberdeen that having a market all to yourself doesn't mean success or high attendance.

I do think a ground share in a new stadium is a no-brainer, given that there's no geographic distinction between the clubs within the city. Do a land swap with that sports center a few blocks east of the stadiums—take the two football pitches that are there and put a stadium there, and turn the existing Dens and Tannadice pitches into community pitches. Each of the clubs could even keep their offices, shops, and museums at their old grounds. Far more sensible IMO than the thing Dundee is proposing on the edge of the city.

Who’s paying for all that though?

I think ground share works if dens & Tannadice sold and both clubs work together to pay for new stadium. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The split to me screams bush league, like our league is so shit we have to engineer good games. The Scottish game is better than that, yes it suffers in the shadow of the Sky-inflated EPL but so would most leagues. Again, the League Cup is run by the same organization as the Prem and the money passes through the same hands. Just absolutely bowdlerize the League Cup format as much as it takes to get the OF games you need.

Controversial,  but in it's current state I'd ask the OF not to participate in the in the lc.

They don't care about it other than it's part of a treble.

They'd probably agree due to European commitments. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah I dont have any hatred towards United but as you say karma.

The debt is huge and puts them in a very bad position. I suspect from what the OP says that sales going back to the owner then the Souttar money will pay off some of that debt.

I would be intrigued to see what would happen if their owner does look to sell. One thing I have been surprised at, with the rise of group of clubs being owned by the same person or group to create a network to help each other and ultimately the club at the top (see the City group who own Man City, Girona, New York CIty FC and 10 other clubs,) is that none of these groups have tried to buy a Scottish club. It would took little investment, you have a good place to loan players, its easier to get a work permit for a player than in England (especially lower leagues) and done right you can get regular European football. Dundee United would be an ideal one for that, especially when you throw in an academy system that has provided quite a few players to EPL academies in recent years.

Yeah, very interesting post, suspect its facilities that are the issue in Scotland, when we seem to loan players, think we had City up a year or two ago for a look round too, they will be looking at the infrastructure, think that could be a key

17 hours ago, That thing you do said:

The most alarming thing I heard happened at the AGM is fans asking "Dont you worry about Relegation Mark?"

To whcih he apparently said "If we go down we can always come straight back up" - if true, Asghar has a Phd in Bullshit as theres no chance United get back in one year. None.

The other conspiracy theory is the American at Dundee wants the clubs to merge as soon as they are in the same league. A Chernobyl like meltdoon would be seen from Edinburgh if that came to pass.

TBH it would be interesting if the 2 Dundee clubs merged. Single team city like Aberdeen would mean talk of the "New Firm derby" returning. The tricky thing is whether fans would unite under one team, lose interest or even worse go join the hoards of glory hunters who identify with the uglies... Dundee is simply not a big enough city to have 2 strong teams anymore. There are also a lot of League clubs in towns near Dundee.

Tayside Jambo
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Yeah, very interesting post, suspect its facilities that are the issue in Scotland, when we seem to loan players, think we had City up a year or two ago for a look round too, they will be looking at the infrastructure, think that could be a key

United's facilities (in fact most) clubs) are fairly sub par. Use the St Andrews Uni cricket pavilion as a base and have the run of the pitches. Plenty of space but not ideal. Their city counterparts have pumped money into Dundee and Angus College to renovate the facilities at Gardyne road campus and have the run of the bottom floor pretty much. Got a fairly good deal and the college could have taken them for a bit more money in all honesty. Outwith the OF and Aberdeen who own decent training facilities, there is Hibs who own their land and cow shed but wouldn't call it elite, and us who don't own it but have access to top facilities, not many other clubs would have facilities of infrastructure that would have a club like Man City group looking to invest. 

13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

TBH it would be interesting if the 2 Dundee clubs merged. Single team city like Aberdeen would mean talk of the "New Firm derby" returning. The tricky thing is whether fans would unite under one team, lose interest or even worse go join the hoards of glory hunters who identify with the uglies... Dundee is simply not a big enough city to have 2 strong teams anymore. There are also a lot of League clubs in towns near Dundee.

I know a lot of fans in Inverness, either inverness caley or inverness thistle, can't stand caley thistle after the merger. On the other hand, a lot of younger folk drifted from "supporting" the OF to support caley thistle. My nephew has his season ticket for them along with his father. My brother in law used to be an Aberdeen fan growing up, bit as soon as caley thistle were formed, as he stays in Inverness, switched allegiance immediately to his new local team.

11 minutes ago, superjack said:

I know a lot of fans in Inverness, either inverness caley or inverness thistle, can't stand caley thistle after the merger. On the other hand, a lot of younger folk drifted from "supporting" the OF to support caley thistle. My nephew has his season ticket for them along with his father. My brother in law used to be an Aberdeen fan growing up, bit as soon as caley thistle were formed, as he stays in Inverness, switched allegiance immediately to his new local team.

Indeed. I think owners have to take a long-term view of things like this and the Inverness clubs did over their merger. I remember attending a stag night in Inverness ages ago, and being unhappy when returning to Glasgow I found the train full of Celtic fans on their way to a Sunday game.  Following a team is expensive, particularly so if you have to take a 3hr train to home games too! Consequently this fits with your observation about the younger fans in Inverness. 

The Scottish game needs rationalisation - too many clubs. Personally I do wonder what would've happened if Mercer had been successful. Sure oldies would have been angered but there would be a lot of under 30s supporting a single Edinburgh team by now I reckon...

I watched some of the bumf about Darvel during their Falkirk game, and I have to say, pet projects by millionaires with village teams is the last thing the league structure needs. The counter to this is that I'd love Queens Park to get steal back some support from the OF, but the mess Partick are in shows how impossible this dream of theirs probably is... There is an inevitability of Ross County eventually going backwards, hopefully not as dramatically at Gretna did before them...

Edited by Spellczech

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed. I think owners have to take a long-term view of things like this and the Inverness clubs did over their merger. I remember attending a stag night in Inverness ages ago, and being unhappy when returning to Glasgow I found the train full of Celtic fans on their way to a Sunday game.  Following a team is expensive, particularly so if you have to take a 3hr train to home games too! Consequently this fits with your observation about the younger fans in Inverness. 

The Scottish game needs rationalisation - too many clubs. Personally I do wonder what would've happened if Mercer had been successful. Sure oldies would have been angered but there would be a lot of under 30s supporting a single Edinburgh team by now I reckon...

We'd have been at the next level if the clubs had merged. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We'd have been at the next level if the clubs had merged. 

Perhaps, but only if a competent owner like Budge had followed Mercer. Robinson ran up huge debts and Vlad squandered millions whilst avoiding paying off the debts the previous owners had run up. Budge's approach of patient organic growth was the right one even if the club was a bit fragile on the field.

• davemclaren changed the title to Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed