Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

1 hour ago, The Grim Reaper said:

For balance, this season. 

Facts

Robbie has managed wins against only 4 teams in Scotland this season so far beating the mighty Ross County, St Johnstone, Motherwell and Killie. 

We were emptied out the League Cup at the first time of asking by Killie. 

We were emptied out the Europa League at the first time of asking by Zurich

We were emptied out of the Europa Conference League at the first time of asking, finishing third in the group although we won two matches against the lowest seed. 

We conceded 16 goals in 6 Europa Conference league games with a final GD of -10

We have conceded 30 goals in 18 games in the league so far 

Our goal difference in the SPL is  a meagre +2 (Aberdeen being the only other team in the league out with the OF with a positive GD) 

My opinion 

He is carried by the quality of player he has at his disposal and his relative success is in spite of him, not because of him.

A better manager would get more out of the players. Very rarely do you leave raving about his teams performance. Scrappy late equalisers or winners are the norm. 

He’s still unsure of his best starting 11 or formation (yes, the ongoing injury crisis impacts this). Square pegs, round holes etc. 

Sets up negatively and when we take the lead sits back to preserve rather than going for another goal to kill off the game. 

Try’s to play possession based football that he doesn’t have the ability to coach. 

Has no idea how to transition youth players from the academy to the first team. 

Recruitment has become scattergun again. A better manager would recruit specific players to suit a specific system, positions and style. 

Preferred him with hair, albeit receding.  

We've beaten Dundee United as well. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

The idea that Robbie is carried by the quality of his players being a negative too is utter moon howling pish too 🤣 

Name me a manager that bloody isn't. 

And imagine expecting to not get emptied out that Conference group. If any of you didn't go into with expectations of 6 points maximum its no wonder you think Robbie's pants. 

Edited by BlueRiver

i wish jj was my dad
34 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Savages role is to approach, negotiate with the agents and sign players is it not? Robbie should be identifying the players to fit his system. To be fair you could probably credit Robbie with Shankland, Zander (which could prove to be inspired) and now Paterson. I very much doubt he’d even heard of any of the others before they signed. 

Academy players we’ll never know as they don’t get a chance. 

injuries I’ve acknowledged have an impact. 

Goal difference being just above zero for for third best team as it stands in the country with our squad and resources? You really think that’s a good return?

I agree we’ve scored some good goals (two last night) and played some good

stuff over the course of his tenure but overall it’s all been pretty shit in my opinion. With the resources and backing he’s had, the team, squad, performance's should be better.  

And no I don’t think we should be beating the old firm and I don’t care that Hibs won the cup in 2016 or whenever it was. 

It's really big of you to acknowledge injuries have had an impact. The worst injury crisis I can recall and players and staff have said the same. So that stretched our resources a tad and might have just had an impact on goal difference too. 

I disagree with you about the quality of football and entertainment. I have generally been happy with what has been on offer since we got promoted and I think it will get better. 

7 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

🎉

So we've beaten 5 of the 11 we played with 2 essentially being write offs for wins most often so 5 of the 9 we would realistically expect to beat. A couple of which our only game against will have been away from home. 

Facts are great but facts without context not so much. Livingston arguably the only one out of the 9 that really stings. 

lost in space
30 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This help patter is weird mate, all I’ve done is broken down your arguments that don’t hold much weight.

An opinion, backed up by evidence in the form of stats and facts. But you knew that already.

One of the top managers in the Scottish Premiership too.

You’re getting a bit cryptic now so perhaps best to end but for future reference, arguments work much better when you can back them up, they don’t work that well when you make things up in your own head to suit an agenda 👍🏻

Not cryptic - bored.

Stats are often factual. Opinions based on stats and facts are opinions.

Thanks for your advice. I will give it the thought that it deserves.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
51 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Did we not play a weakened team?  And I know 11 games.  Robbie has been better for us overall though. 

Wasn't the full team, remember coming out pissed off subs were on too late to change the pattern 

3 hours ago, jock _turd said:

That is the problem it only takes one defeat and he is the worst manager in the SPL ... FFS he only needs to make a poor set of subs and they are out for blood ! You cannot please everybody but really who is going to step into his shoes with the same set of players and have the team any further up the table ... I'll save you the bother absolutely nobody!

I don't think that is unique to us or in particular Neilson. 

Last season the Utd fans I worked with and know wanted Courts gone one week then next week he was brilliant. And I literally mean on a week to week basis. 

Rangers the same with Van Bronckhorst and even a Dundee fan I worked with in my last job wanted that guy they have now papped pre-season because the results were poor apparently, or the performances or something.

I think we are in a position of not knowing what we have until it's gone for some of the fans. He is a very stable, reliable manager. We aren't going to push on and hammer teams 5-0 regularly despite taking 2 goal leads. We are going to win those games by the odd goal. 

It's just the way he is. We will occasionally hammer teams like we did Utd earlier in the season and we are going to scrape points.

We seem to be at the (checks notes) Robbie has only beaten teams we've played against stage.....

He is a great manager and has proved it over and over. 

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Wasn't the full team, remember coming out pissed off subs were on too late to change the pattern 

Yeah was at Livi that night.  Was the reverse of everything before and after.  Weird night.

10 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

So we've beaten 5 of the 11 we played with 2 essentially being write offs for wins most often so 5 of the 9 we would realistically expect to beat. A couple of which our only game against will have been away from home. 

Facts are great but facts without context not so much. Livingston arguably the only one out of the 9 that really stings. 

Just to add:-

We haven't played St Mirren yet either so let's make it 5 out of 8. With Aberdeen, Hibs, and Livi being the only three we haven't beat who we would realistically expect to. With Aberdeen and Hibs (which was a disappointing draw but not a defeat) both away from home. 

Facts they may be but come on get some perspective on them. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

We seem to be at the (checks notes) Robbie has only beaten teams we've played against stage.....

He is a great manager and has proved it over and over. 

Yip. The boy that said it was Robbie's fault that it as cold last night nailed it. 

One guy is so entrenched that he's down to slack passing. 

No matter how much I loathed Tommy McLean I never got that desperate. 

This place is bonkers. Some people are so desperate to be proved ‘right’ regarding Neilson that they are making ‘facts’ up and posting utter drivel.

2 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

First. Where do you want us to be?

So you aren't the most realistic of people. Fair enough it shows 

Absolute Scenes
10 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Will never happen so get real. 3rd is our target and cups. 

NaturalOrder74

We went an incredibly long time struggling to pick up even a point away from home while RN was away. (Outside of Easter road anyway but that’s basically a home game for us) now we’re rarely dropping points away apart from obviously glasgow 

1 hour ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Savages role is to approach, negotiate with the agents and sign players is it not? Robbie should be identifying the players to fit his system. To be fair you could probably credit Robbie with Shankland, Zander (which could prove to be inspired) and now Paterson. I very much doubt he’d even heard of any of the others before they signed. 

Academy players we’ll never know as they don’t get a chance. 

injuries I’ve acknowledged have an impact. 

Goal difference being just above zero for for third best team as it stands in the country with our squad and resources? You really think that’s a good return?

I agree we’ve scored some good goals (two last night) and played some good

stuff over the course of his tenure but overall it’s all been pretty shit in my opinion. With the resources and backing he’s had, the team, squad, performance's should be better.  

And no I don’t think we should be beating the old firm and I don’t care that Hibs won the cup in 2016 or whenever it was. 

Re the academy players it’s probably best to let those that watch them make a judgement but I seem to remember people on here state they have been disappointed at the lack of a genuine prospect.  The unimpressive goal diff is down to the goals conceded surely. I’m comfortable putting that down to the defence being chopped and changed every week. Hopefully the defence can improve in the 2nd half of the season.  If it does you have to think we will be comfortable in 3rd as we are scoring enough goals.

Agree there has been some poor performances but every team will have them .. it’s not unique to Hearts. 
Other than Gordon I doubt any other of our players would get a game for Celtic or Rangers so it’s a hard ask expecting to swat away teams like they do. The odd last minute draw and winner perhaps to be expected when we don’t possess a huge advantage in squad quality over the rest like the OF do.  

No manager will please everyone I guess. I was never a fan of Leveins

football despite some relative successes and impressive performances in his tenure. 

Edited by damo

36 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yip. The boy that said it was Robbie's fault that it as cold last night nailed it. 

One guy is so entrenched that he's down to slack passing. 

No matter how much I loathed Tommy McLean I never got that desperate. 

I've told this story on here before but at the St Mirren league game at home last year there was a guy along from me who shouted "F.... off" when GMS scored. Genuinely furious we'd scored.

It's absolute penny numbers but we have some supporters who hate Robbie more than they love Hearts. It's mad.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Facts

Robbie has managed wins against only 4 teams in Scotland this season so far beating the mighty Ross County, St Johnstone, Motherwell and Killie. - We can revisit this at the end of the season, best get that bit in before our home games v Hibs and Aberdeen, that will be that one ticked off the list, we are 3rd in the league who you beat is irrelevant.

We were emptied out the League Cup at the first time of asking by Killie. - yes that was shite

We were emptied out the Europa League at the first time of asking by Zurich- nice to get there for the 2nd time in ten years tho, who was the last manager to have us in Europe? We are poor in Europe and are in company in regards to tha, Bob won't fix 3 decades of Scottish football and Hearts decline in europe. 

We were emptied out of the Europa Conference League at the first time of asking, finishing third in the group although we won two matches against the lowest seed. we were the 2nd lowest seed.

We conceded 16 goals in 6 Europa Conference league games with a final GD of -10- good stuff, how does that matter?

We have conceded 30 goals in 18 games in the league so far - we are 3rd and scored 32

Our goal difference in the SPL is  a meagre +2 (Aberdeen being the only other team in the league out with the OF with a positive GD) - so only 2 teams have a + GD outside the OF and we are one of them, what is your point ?

My opinion 

He is carried by the quality of player he has at his disposal and his relative success is in spite of him, not because of him.- but many on here have our players as shite, how can that be?

A better manager would get more out of the players. Very rarely do you leave raving about his teams performance. Scrappy late equalisers or winners are the norm. Nonsense and this imaginary manager doesn't exist- and scrapping for points is a good thing

He’s still unsure of his best starting 11 or formation (yes, the ongoing injury crisis impacts this). Square pegs, round holes etc. Answered your own question and football is a squad game now, best 11 is a 1980's throw back.

Sets up negatively and when we take the lead sits back to preserve rather than going for another goal to kill off the game. scored 32 goals, conceded 30 and last season 3rd top goal scorers, no facts back up your opinion, indicating it is wrong

Try’s to play possession based football that he doesn’t have the ability to coach. - made up nonsense and again the facts would indicate it is working

Has no idea how to transition youth players from the academy to the first team. maybe he does and know the current crop aren't ready or good enough.

Recruitment has become scattergun again. A better manager would recruit specific players to suit a specific system, positions and style. Nonsense, you are confusing Scattergun with carefully picking and pursuing targets and that not working sometimes

Good attempt, better than what may post on here.

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I think his evidence is that Naismith shouts a lot and Neilson doesn't 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I thought shouting and pointing is bad? 🤷🏻‍♂️

41 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

It is fascinating when folk hurry past their own opinion to set up a counterattack on someone else’s opinion. 

it is usually because they know their opinion is a bunch of pish and they hope their opponent will slip up to rescue them. 

3 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Facts

Robbie has managed wins against only 4 teams in Scotland this season so far beating the mighty Ross County, St Johnstone, Motherwell and Killie. 

We were emptied out of the Europa Conference League at the first time of asking, finishing third in the group although we won two matches against the lowest seed. 

Our goal difference in the SPL is  a meagre +2 (Aberdeen being the only other team in the league out with the OF with a positive GD) 

My opinion 

He is carried by the quality of player he has at his disposal and his relative success is in spite of him, not because of him.

A better manager would get more out of the players. Very rarely do you leave raving about his teams performance. Scrappy late equalisers or winners are the norm. 

He’s still unsure of his best starting 11 or formation (yes, the ongoing injury crisis impacts this). Square pegs, round holes etc. 

Sets up negatively and when we take the lead sits back to preserve rather than going for another goal to kill off the game. 

Try’s to play possession based football that he doesn’t have the ability to coach. 

Recruitment has become scattergun again. A better manager would recruit specific players to suit a specific system, positions and style. 

Wow!!! 😎

3 hours ago, lost in space said:

OK, re the motivation - there are some people who are natural leaders (eg Steven Pressley, Sreven Naismith etc). This does not mean that these guys will be the best football managers as other attributes are also required. It is a good trait to have if you are to manage athletes.

If you can't see this, I suggest you ask others if they think there is such a person as a natural leader.

Re the league positions of the 2 teams - ridiculous to compare, as there are too many differences. Main difference is that the first teams huge priority is league and cup results, while B team priority is developing and preparing players for the first team.

Can you list out the attributes of a natural leader?

And then list which of these are held by Neilson, Pressley and Naismith?

Genuinely curious.

2 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Was the cup win not brought up in reference to you wanting them to win it as opposed to a stick to beat Robbie with? 

The vibes are getting stronger ...

13 hours ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

You blind? He also had an assist at Tannadice. Great player.

Not blind. Happy for you to elaborate on which goal he set up last night 👍🏻

13 hours ago, Getintaethem said:

The third one :D 

A bit tenuous maybe, but to be fair to him he’s second in assists this season behind only Snodgrass, which tells a story about our wide players.

Agree though he’s more suited to the holding midfielder role.  However I thought Snodgrass was excellent in that role last night and it allows Devlin to go chase and harass the opposition which suits us.  I think Snodgrass and Devlin are our best midfield combination and it’s telling our results have improved since they’ve had the chance to play together 

If that went down as an assist then the assist system is fecked 😂

Facts

My opinion 

Take it you weren’t at the game against United? First sentence factually incorrect means it’s pointless to read any further. 

Facts

My opinion 

Posts a list of facts…

The very first one is wrong. 

:cornette:

Facts

My opinion 

Facts

You've got this wrong, as has been pointed out already. Additionally, Celtic and Rangers we would never be expected to beat and Hibs we drew with. So in your attempt to provide some balance, you've not only got your first 'fact' wrong, but also completely sensationalised it to suit your agenda.

Fair enough. Neilson is not the first manager to have experienced this though, and won't be the last.

Completely expected. So again, a cherry picked fact to fill out your post.

See above.

See above. Directly affected by our injury crisis. Nothing Robbie has control over.

See above re injuries.

Our goal difference in the SPL is a meagre +2 (Aberdeen being the only other team in the league out with the OF with a positive GD) 

See above.

My opinion 

An opinion based on nothing.

You don't rave about our team's performances, but pundits and media alike do regularly.

He's spoken openly about his preferred formation and backup formation when playing specific teams. As you say, he is having to work with what he has at his disposal.

So he sets up negatively but we still manage to take the lead? Sounds not bad to me. I can accept he does sometimes try to preserve a lead, but so does every manager. It can't just be gung ho for 90 mins, that's ridiculous.

Don't know where you get this from. Like most of your opinions.

Again, based on what?

Can you give an example or two? He justifies every time what sort of player he wants to get in, and when he does, he explains what the player will bring to the team.

Preferred him with hair, albeit receding

You used the words 'balance' and 'facts' at the beginning of your post, yet the points you make couldn't be so far from these two words. Even your 'opinions' havent been backed up by anything at all.

I'd also be interested to see what your opinions and facts for Robbie last season are. For example, was his scattergun approach to recruitment, the possession based football he is incapable of coaching, and general uninspiring brand of football the reason we finished third at a canter with most goals scored (outside of old firm)?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I actually do think Robbie is learning and improving himself.

The football department’s infrastructure has improved also which has helped.

i haven’t seen a Hearts team so bonded and with as much fighting spirit for years.

A lot of our fans also underestimate how much decent football we actually play. For example at various points in the build up to our second goal on Wednesday I’m sure there were plenty punters screaming fro the ball to be punted or to be stopped passing backwards.

Even Sportscene highlighted it as being an excellent team goal.

Anthony Brown has commented that last season he regularly heard west coast journos being apparently surprised how well we consistently played.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

5 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Facts

My opinion 

🤣  Neilson (and Romanov before that) has absolutely broken you lot.  

No disputing his record as manager, and for that fact, he deserves our full support.

He frustrates the life out of me sometimes, though :lol:

5 minutes ago, WageThief said:

It's quite entertaining though. That wee gang are so, so transparent.

Monday should shut 'em up for a bit.

47 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

No disputing his record as manager, and for that fact, he deserves our full support.

He frustrates the life out of me sometimes, though :lol:

I am the same and get so frustrated at times 

The Fiorentina game at home took me to another level of frustration for some reason

I have always liked Robbie and have calmed down again and back on the happy bus

Edited by JAYEL

Robbie can become one of Hearts greatest managers. However he is only human and won't get everything right. I have watched Hearts for 60 years and even legends like Tommy Walker and Alec Mcdonald made costly mistakes. But in all my time as a fan the club has never been in a better place both on and off the park and a lot of that is down to Robbie. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to revisit the period he was away from Hearts and our decline. 

lost in space
11 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

Can you list out the attributes of a natural leader?

And then list which of these are held by Neilson, Pressley and Naismith?

Genuinely curious.

Why dont you look it up?  Google it!

The list will most probably apply to Pressley and Naismith but not Neilson.

Personally, I dont think a manager HAS to be a natural leader - but it helps.

Shooter McGavin

I’ve come to the conclusion that Neilson has done a few lads misses on here, and it’s resulted in threads like this.

There is literally no other explanation for why some just can’t get over him for some reason.

lost in space
9 hours ago, WageThief said:

I always laugh at the Neilson Ultras Fan club when they eventually come out with this.  They cant accept any negative views on their hero and start name-calling or calling posters hobos when they dare to question their man.

Its rather pathetic - but funny.

7 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Up pops the the biggest Neilson fanboy and expert in slavering utter pish

He's spoken more sense than a lot of folk criticising Neilson. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Robbie Neilson ( merged )