Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

With all due respect, Robbie contributed to that hoodoo more than any other manager. Tonight was his 7th attempt at winning away at Saints so it was about time. 

I credit Robbie where he deserves it, and as I always say, his record speaks for itself. It does seem mental to criticise him when he's delivered 2 promotions and 2 third place finishes in his only 4 full seasons.

But, I do fully understand the sceptics and am guilty of siding with them myself. Once again, we were a goal or 2 up and cruising in a game only to make hard work of it. That's Neilson down to a tee. Also, we've got a derby coming up which we should be wildly confident for. Only there's seeds of doubt in my mind, purely because of Neilson's track record of sitting off Hibs.

To summarise, I do believe he's a safe pair of hands and I'm happy with him, but I'm still convinced we could do better, and I'm still not 100% confident in his abilities.

Very balanced post and exactly where I’m at.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

22 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

With our injury problems this season, we've done brilliantly to be sitting third at the end of the year. The manager should take a lot of credit for that. In the past week we've beaten a team we haven't in christ knows how long and won at a ground we haven't won at in, well christ knows how long. 7 points in a week including two away games. 

7 points in a week. Think about this. That (I think) is Hibs total for the SEASON against 11 men. We have done it in 3 games!!!

5 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Bit of a catch 22. Without Snodgrass deep we tend to pass across the back or just launch it. He is central to all our attacking play starts.

However, he's great in possession, but terrible without it.

Devlin needs to do more to cover in my opinion, with his energy, but was not up to it tonight I thought.

We still miss Beni...

Devlin was a bit weird tonight, only really noticed him in the attacking third, rather than centrally or defensively. Snodgrass seemed exposed and we needed more intensity from a defensive aspect. Too often nonchalant when they were gunning to get back in the game/equalise. In fact Shankland - who was great all night - had a nonchalant moment that lead to their second goal tonight. Peril of a back three having an exposed midfield, but I understand having Snodgrass there because of his quality, but maybe he and Grant should have swapped (or Kiomourtzoglou start instead of Grant). Just musings really and nitpicking, overall a good win and deserved.

Sinbad the Sailor

There was a mahoosive thread in November with eejits calling for his head. A reminder this time last year 5pts clear in 3rd. This year 3pts clear after Euro fitba. That's fine by me. Well done Robbie.

Edited by Sinbad the Sailor
Sp

Bazzas right boot

Best Hearts manager since JJ and the abuse he gets from some is ridiculous.

Job isn't done but we are in good shape.

14 minutes ago, Locky said:

With all due respect, Robbie contributed to that hoodoo more than any other manager. Tonight was his 7th attempt at winning away at Saints so it was about time. 

I credit Robbie where he deserves it, and as I always say, his record speaks for itself. It does seem mental to criticise him when he's delivered 2 promotions and 2 third place finishes in his only 4 full seasons.

But, I do fully understand the sceptics and am guilty of siding with them myself. Once again, we were a goal or 2 up and cruising in a game only to make hard work of it. That's Neilson down to a tee. Also, we've got a derby coming up which we should be wildly confident for. Only there's seeds of doubt in my mind, purely because of Neilson's track record of sitting off Hibs.

To summarise, I do believe he's a safe pair of hands and I'm happy with him, but I'm still convinced we could do better, and I'm still not 100% confident in his abilities.

St Johnstone coming into the game was nothing to do with Robbie tbf.

You can't blame him for Snoddys brain fade or for Rowles playing an horrendous ball to Shankland and Shankland making a bad pass even worse.

He didn't do much wrong tonight and hopefully after congratulating the team he then goes through them for giving Saints half a chance especially the 2 incidents mentioned above .

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Devlin was a bit weird tonight, only really noticed him in the attacking third, rather than centrally or defensively. Snodgrass seemed exposed and we needed more intensity from a defensive aspect. Too often nonchalant when they were gunning to get back in the game/equalise. In fact Shankland - who was great all night - had a nonchalant moment that lead to their second goal tonight. Peril of a back three having an exposed midfield, but I understand having Snodgrass there because of his quality, but maybe he and Grant should have swapped (or Kiomourtzoglou start instead of Grant). Just musings really and nitpicking, overall a good win and deserved.

Yeah tough one, as Grant also had a great first half in an attacking sense. Thought he played the 10 role well.

Its tough as we can't seem to find the right balance at the moment.

Overall, great win, and can't argue too much with the setup from Neilson as we flew out the blocks. Just need to find a way to adjust better when we are in a defensive phase.

Robbie might not be perfect but who is. He's a whole lot more good than bad that's for sure, and I can't think of anyone who I'd rather was our manager right now. 

ShortmanRossco

All in all I'm Robbie fan for what he does in the long run. We'll easy finish third at a canter and in the long run that's a good result.

He just frustrates the piss out of me with some of the short term results/performances we put in now and again. Primarily against the OF.

All in all though there's absolutely no way he deserves the heat he gets sometimes. If he were to go he'd be a very hard act to follow IMO. 

Great posts in a deserved positive thread.   Fwiw, I think the Robster is doing just fine when you consider the number of automatic 1st team players who've been unavailable for spells this season - plus the extra burden of 8 midweek Euro games & travel.  Too many fans ignore the likelihood that teams like St.J and Livi & Dundee Utd raise their game against us, and they just blame Robbie when we don't hammer them 3-0.

I really wonder just how many times  Robbie will have to have Hearts in 3rd place for i8 (and a few others) to stop their relentless nonsense about him. 

Whats this   "we could do better" chat in reference to the manager anyway ?     Its stating the obvious if the candidates were Klopp or Pep .... but thats utter fantasy.   But name any realistic manager that we could afford &  attract,   and   please describe the logic about how you know n advance  he'd do any better with the team than Robbie.

41 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm not sure that's his doing. Some teams naturally drop deep when they have a slim lead to defend it (which is counterintuitive since the other team get more time and space). I think its probably just a consequence of not being that much better than the rest of teams in the league. We can all beat each other on a given day. Don't get me wrong, its ****ing annoying because its obvious it just creates more problems, but that opening intensity can't be maintained for that long. Kinda what annoyed me about the Grant miss tbh. More a waste while we had momentum, than just a wasted chance since its going to swing the other way eventually. 

For sure. People can talk about the difference in budgets all day long, but how much better is a player on 3k a week than one on 2k?

We will place better than them, if managed correctly, over a season, yes. But that doesnt mean we just beat them all, every match.

Neilson is doing a great job. We're winning, entertaining matches.

Sinbad the Sailor
26 minutes ago, Canscot said:

7 points in a week. Think about this. That (I think) is Hibs total for the SEASON against 11 men. We have done it in 3 games!!!

Get that on the Gorgie Ultras banner on Monday😆

been here before

The weather up there was miserable tonight and Neilson done **** all to change it.

We need a manager in who can control the elements.

The best Hearts manager since Jefferies in the mid 90s. Even then we were over budget and Robbie win % is superior.

Pretty much every game we go into these days we are competitive, result or not. That hasn’t been the case for many years.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

He is doing very well.

Of course there are areas we can massively improve on and there is a naivety about our game management and decision making at times. But there is a lot of good stuff. 

Ministryofdad
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Sick and tired of seeing the negative stuff towards him. Has built a resilient team who currently sit in third place AGAIN

Tonight is not the only hoodoo he’s broken. Also helped break the st Mirren away duct too. Beaten Hibs twice at Hampden. Very pleased for him.

what tonight did show was how frustrating the players can be. Neilson was going absolutely tonto at the sloppy passing and errors, showing that the players know what the game plan is but just shite themselves and lose all sense of composure. 

Yeah. But............. 

That's all he can achieve with us. 

Has taken us as far as he can go with his ability. 

We are atm 20 points off top and 16 off 2nd.

31 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

This

Thunder and Lightning
29 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He doesn't get abuse. People point out what they perceive are his negative traits or limitations. That's it. 

Others then get bent out of shape because people have the temerity to not hail Robbie as the second coming of jesus. 

For what it's worth. Robbie and the players have done a tremendous job in getting us where we are. 

The hard work starts now tho. We have to keep third and strengthen if we can. It all counts for nothing if come the end of the season we are not still in third. 

5 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

He doesn't get abuse. People point out what they perceive are his negative traits or limitations. That's it. 

image.jpeg.cf228bb2175ad22e5f52bcd4c5c032e7.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Others then get bent out of shape because people have the temerity to not hail Robbie as the second coming of jesus. 

For what it's worth. Robbie and the players have done a tremendous job in getting us where we are. 

The hard work starts now tho. We have to keep third and strengthen if we can. It all counts for nothing if come the end of the season we are not still in third. 

I'm getting a vibe from this. 😄

When we were demoted if we had brought in a foreign unknown manager who got us promoted, beat Hibs twice in semis, two Hampden finals, got us 3rd and the European trips and sitting 3rd again, his name would be sung from the stands non stop.

But it wasn’t an unknown it was Robbie and for some he is always one bad result from calls for his head.

Madness.

20 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Yeah. But............. 

Boo hoo.

54 minutes ago, Canscot said:

You're correct. After half a season, they've won 7 points against 11 men.

I don't think we've faced anyone that's had a player sent off, from the top of my head.

22 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Yeah. But............. 

And yet he's one of those rare Hearts managers who's actually achieved it, again.

We're a club which, if we're lucky, might have a wee chance every now and again. It's up to us to be steady, competitive, and the best of the rest so we're ready when it happens.

League wise, Robbie is performing at top expectation, again. 

Maybe he'll do better one day, here's hoping, but that's not expectation, unless you ignore reality.

39 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Great posts in a deserved positive thread.   Fwiw, I think the Robster is doing just fine when you consider the number of automatic 1st team players who've been unavailable for spells this season - plus the extra burden of 8 midweek Euro games & travel.  Too many fans ignore the likelihood that teams like St.J and Livi & Dundee Utd raise their game against us, and they just blame Robbie when we don't hammer them 3-0.

I really wonder just how many times  Robbie will have to have Hearts in 3rd place for i8 (and a few others) to stop their relentless nonsense about him. 

Whats this   "we could do better" chat in reference to the manager anyway ?     Its stating the obvious if the candidates were Klopp or Pep .... but thats utter fantasy.   But name any realistic manager that we could afford &  attract,   and   please describe the logic about how you know n advance  he'd do any better with the team than Robbie.

Yay!

Some folks get their knickers in a twist about nick-names. That's a good 'un.

Screenshot_20221228-232533_Messenger.jpg

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Credit where it’s due, 3rd at the end of the year is well done. Wasn’t sure of the line up tonight, but for the most part worked. (My only slight, slight criticism would be playing Snodgrass deep, our midfield got overrun easily many times tonight)

Snodgrass has only played deep for us - and played very well nearly every time.

27 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear ...

You can but hope. 🤣

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You're correct. After half a season, they've won 7 points against 11 men.

I don't think we've faced anyone that's had a player sent off, from the top of my head.

I believe you are correct. Zero sendings off against us this year. Add the fact the last time we had one sent off we won the game With 10 after being pegged back. 

1 minute ago, saxondale said:

Snodgrass has only played deep for us - and played very well nearly every time.

There’s deep, and then there’s being a sweeper almost deep. He’s not normally our deepest central midfielder, and tonight he was, is my point.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

There’s deep, and then there’s being a sweeper almost deep. He’s not normally our deepest central midfielder, and tonight he was, is my point.

In my opinion, he was no deeper than he normally is. It wasn't his best game but he was still solid, played numerous forward passes, delivery on point as usual and broke forward a few times.

Why would Robbie instruct him to play deeper?

1 hour ago, maroonedinbriz said:

Hearts tv stated May was giving Rowles a bit of a roasting.

The balloons on Hearts TV generally talk pish!

1 minute ago, saxondale said:

In my opinion, he was no deeper than he normally is. It wasn't his best game but he was still solid, played numerous forward passes, delivery on point as usual and broke forward a few times.

Let him sit where he is playing and do the Pirlo role. Makes perfect sense to me, means he can play 90 minutes on old legs and is the best passer at the club apart from maybe McKay when he’s on song. But a very different type of passer of the ball. 

We've got a style of play that works and that the team know and are improving at. 

We're 3rd again already after European football and many injuries. Anyone that doubts Robbie only needs to recall the last 4 years without him. His record as hearts manager is superb and we're very much to have him again. 

14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Let him sit where he is playing and do the Pirlo role. Makes perfect sense to me, means he can play 90 minutes on old legs and is the best passer at the club apart from maybe McKay when he’s on song. But a very different type of passer of the ball. 

Yep, and having Cammie do the running and ball winning for him strikes a good balance in midfield.

15 minutes ago, saxondale said:

I’m not saying he was instructed to do so necessarily. Either he was, or he found himself doing so as a natural side effect of a two man midfield being overrun at times. And defensively he lacks. But if he was instructed to sit deeper than normal it’s because he didn’t have Kiomourtzoglou in with him and Devlin, where he knows he can naturally play further forward, he had Grant ahead of him, who was decent by the way, but was playing a more attacking role. It’s not necessarily a criticism, it’s just saying Snodgrass as one of a two in central midfield is defensively a weakness that can be exploited, and was a few times tonight. It’s not his game though.

30 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not saying he was instructed to do so necessarily. Either he was, or he found himself doing so as a natural side effect of a two man midfield being overrun at times. And defensively he lacks. But if he was instructed to sit deeper than normal it’s because he didn’t have Kiomourtzoglou in with him and Devlin, where he knows he can naturally play further forward, he had Grant ahead of him, who was decent by the way, but was playing a more attacking role. It’s not necessarily a criticism, it’s just saying Snodgrass as one of a two in central midfield is defensively a weakness that can be exploited, and was a few times tonight. It’s not his game though.

colinmaroon

Grant was the weak link. Some lovely touches, a bit of poor control, and hopeless at the defensive part. Get weight soon Beni.

Edited by colinmaroon

36 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Yep, and having Cammie do the running and ball winning for him strikes a good balance in midfield.

What balance? 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

The players are certainly playing for him. I hope he continues to prove me wrong. 

He's proved you wrong for the 4.5 seasons he's been in charge of us.

How long does he need to prove you wrong for, 5, 7, 10 years before admit He's a good manager for us and cit out the dramatics after a few poor results?

You've already been proved wrong. I think you know it as well.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Dayman said:

Win the next 3 games and we will be 9-12 points clear and have 3rd basically wrapped up. 

Looking that way.

Who'd have funked it?

Hibs, Aberdeen and St mirren at home in January. 

I hate being correct.

:av-1001:

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

:spoton:

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I ask every time it’s brought up

”who is replacing him and are we guaranteed to be better”

If we’re constantly bottom 6 then you could see their point. But we’re not.

Third is the new 1st in Scottish football.

Best part of an @$$ cheek winning the league is the other one losing it. Love seeing their spoilt entitled loser faces when it’s officially over for them. 
Europe this year for them was a fun watch for everyone else.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's proved you wrong for the 4.5 seasons he's been in charge of us.

How long does he need to prove you wrong for, 5, 7, 10 years before admit He's a good manager for us and cit out the dramatics after a few poor results?

You've already been proved wrong. I think you know it as well.

No dramatics after a few results from me Tosh. Always give my honest opinion mate. 

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Well that's nonsense. 

There are posters who are positively erect when we have a setback and slither away when we win. 

1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Well that's nonsense. 

There are posters who are positively erect when we have a setback and slither away when we win. 

These posters are no doubt Hibs fans 

Screenshot_20221228_043047_Gallery.jpg

• davemclaren changed the title to Robbie Neilson ( merged )