Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, briever said:

Heaven forfend we dont all agree.

I never said that at all.  I understand everyone could have a differing opinion and am mindful of people not being convinced in our manager but I can't understand why at this current time people would be looking to pick holes in how it seems to be going that's all. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

1 hour ago, ali_jambo said:

One thing I cannot get my head around is the idea Neilson plays boring football.

Our games are usually pretty exciting and we have the best attacking talent outside the OF.

I think people sometimes mistake being boring/negative for losing which every team will do at least once in a while.

I think linked to this idea of negative football is fans complaints of the team sitting back on leads, dropping too deep to protect a goal advantage, and inviting pressure.  Which is a perfectly valid concern, it nearly cost us against St Johnstone.

The weird thing is it's very evident from Neilson's pitchside reactions and post-match interviews that he hates us doing that as much as the fans do.  But aye, let's blame Neilson and his boring tactics...

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I think linked to this idea of negative football is fans complaints of the team sitting back on leads, dropping too deep to protect a goal advantage, and inviting pressure.  Which is a perfectly valid concern, it nearly cost us against St Johnstone.

The weird thing is it's very evident from Neilson's pitchside reactions and post-match interviews that he hates us doing that as much as the fans do.  But aye, let's blame Neilson and his boring tactics...

Would guess it's more to do with the ultra conservative football on display at ER Aberdeen and in Glasgow. 

2 minutes ago, CMc said:

I don’t think many free stat sites will give the levels of detail you’re looking for. 

Best I can do is:

Our XGa is 1.77 (2nd worst in league) XGa suggests we should have conceded 32 goals. We’ve “only” conceded 30.  

Of those, 3 were penalties, 1 was a break away. 

of the remaining 26:

5 were from set pieces. I don’t remember an opponent goal from a direct free kick. This is 17% of goals conceded. 

21 were from open play. 67% of shots conceded are in our box. Only 29% of shots come from wide positions. 

We have faced 21 crosses. We win 53% of our headers. I think from memory, we conceded around 5-6 from headers or back post cross tap ins.  So I guess about a quarter of crosses from open play are converted. 

If the above is accurate, about a third of our goals are conceded from crosses. 

Graphic below is a summary of our style based on available data on WhoScored

AF816A41-10B7-478D-BB9E-7DAD9BC65E28.jpeg

All good posts and points from @Smithee and @Bazzas right boot too, but thank you for the above. Really interesting read and interesting to see the characteristics put like that👍

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Fingers crossed, but it's been going on all season so whatever they're doing isn't working too well.

In Neilson's defence it was (imo) an obvious area we were short in during the window and we didn't really address it. That's not on him.

It's fine because we're outscoring the opponents and that's exciting and enjoyable. Not having a pop at him, just answering the question from the poster on any other criticism someone could have.

Fair. We were obviously trying to sign an aggressive right footed defender. Not Robbie’s fault Wright wasn’t good enough and the other guy let us down last second. 

Winning the Keegan way is fine whilst we maintain two points per game. 

41 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think our unsettled defence is a big reason for it. 

I'd be surprised if we never tried to get a good centre half in but it didn't come off. Getting in antcild just fir boosting numbers is something I'm against.

Many think because we never got a player in we ignored that position or concern.  I doubt that very much and with Sibbick and Neilson likely thought we  had enough in reserve for some injury cover but not the complete down of Halkett.

I started a thread on the defence ( still alive), it is a concern and I'm sure we'll address it in the window.

Absolutely, I think we’ve fielded between 15 and 20 different defensive combinations. Very hard to drill a group who spend no time together. 

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Defences need drilled and time together, we've had to deal with all sorts. And let's be honest, Gordon's probably the greatest keeper we've had (sorry Antti!) but he's a shiter with crosses himself, it's not just the central defense.

Hopefully big Zander will help.

As above. Would addd de that Craig G is not a big organiser. (I blame Elvis and starting so young). As well as winning twice as many headers as our next best Halks is the defensive shot caller. Extremely hard to defend as a unit (and individually) without one clear, consistent, dominant voice calling the shots. 

34 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Agree. Love Gordon but I do think he has his share of culpability for the amount of goals lost from crosses. 

Possibly. But he has faced the joint most shots on target and has the joint highest save percentage. Of approximately 220 shots faced, only about 20 have been in 6 yard box - so the percentage he could have cut out is quite small. 

He’s on a 70% save rate for shots on target - so definitely compensating. Busiest yet most successful keeper in the league. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

All good posts and points from @Smithee and @Bazzas right boot too, but thank you for the above. Really interesting read and interesting to see the characteristics put like that👍

I'd agree with most of that in particular the defending pieces and all our weaknesses this season being defensive. 

Unsure about holding on to a lead tho, we haven't lost many games from a winning position?

Celtic springs to mind.

Drew with Hibs

Be interesting to see how Aberdeen,  hibs, St mirren etc compare as well.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Would guess it's more to do with the ultra conservative football on display at ER Aberdeen and in Glasgow. 

We weren't ultra Conservative at Aberdeen or Hibs.

The Glasgow debate will always roll on.

What is the  better approach-"to have a go" or play a more patient approach.

Usually captain hindsight stuff on both sides tho.

19 minutes ago, CMc said:

Possibly. But he has faced the joint most shots on target and has the joint highest save percentage. Of approximately 220 shots faced, only about 20 have been in 6 yard box - so the percentage he could have cut out is quite small. 

He’s on a 70% save rate for shots on target - so definitely compensating. Busiest yet most successful keeper in the league. 

Very right to point that out and I was going to say he more than compensates aith some other excellent saves. I just find his command of his own 6 yard box is a drawback and felt it might be more of an issue when we have inexperienced defenders covering for mors established injured players. 

Nae stats to back me mind, just vibes 🤣

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We weren't ultra Conservative at Aberdeen or Hibs.

The Glasgow debate will always roll on.

What is the  better approach-"to have a go" or play a more patient approach.

Usually captain hindsight stuff on both sides tho.

Aren't we?  We have lost the last 2 games up there since coming back up and drawn 0-0 and 1-1 with Hibs?  It's cagey at best.

The Glasgow thing is a debate and I actually like the defend then pounce way it seems to go.

It's not a right or wrong point from me either, just where I think the poor football comments come into stuff.   Celtic at home this season was much, much better.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Aren't we?  We have lost the last 2 games up there since coming back up and drawn 0-0 and 1-1 with Hibs?  It's cagey at best.

The Glasgow thing is a debate and I actually like the defend then pounce way it seems to go.

It's not a right or wrong point from me either, just where I think the poor football comments come into stuff.   Celtic at home this season was much, much better.

Losing goals or drawing  the game doesn't mean we were ultra conservative/ defensive. 

Probably more defensive and relying on breaks/ luck/counters in the 3-0 win at Motherwell tbh.

9 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Very right to point that out and I was going to say he more than compensates aith some other excellent saves. I just find his command of his own 6 yard box is a drawback and felt it might be more of an issue when we have inexperienced defenders covering for mors established injured players. 

Nae stats to back me mind, just vibes 🤣

Yeah, think this is really fair. Be interesting to see what Zander brings. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

What is it exactly that you are not happy with right now? Where should hearts, with the budget and players we have, be sitting? Where REALISTICALLY should we be sitting in the league? What do you want?

As I've previously said Neilson is doing OK just now.

3rd is a piece of piss just now.

I'll wait until the end of the season to re-asses my opinion on him.

Hopefully everything thing is positive.

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Losing goals or drawing  the game doesn't mean we were ultra conservative/ defensive. 

Probably more defensive and relying on breaks/ luck/counters in the 3-0 win at Motherwell tbh.

It doesn't no, but in they games particularly against Hibs away we haven't took the game to them and hammered them - there's a frustration there for sure.

True about the Motherwell game also.  Although I thought we did attack and left us open at times - great game for me ;) 

24 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'd agree with most of that in particular the defending pieces and all our weaknesses this season being defensive. 

Unsure about holding on to a lead tho, we haven't lost many games from a winning position?

Celtic springs to mind.

Drew with Hibs

I think it's referring to how many equalisers we concede rather than whether we fail to win at the end of the game or not. Equally, I've no idea how we perform at that either 😂

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

It doesn't no, but in they games particularly against Hibs away we haven't took the game to them and hammered them - there's a frustration there for sure.

True about the Motherwell game also.  Although I thought we did attack and left us open at times - great game for me ;) 

Games at ER and Tynecastle have been generally close in recent years, not too many big wins. 

If that's ultra conservative in your opinion then he ho.

Aberdeen apart from last season have been a better team than us for a decade, always been a tough game up there.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Games at ER and Tynecastle have been generally close in recent years, not too many big wins. 

If that's ultra conservative in your opinion then he ho.

Aberdeen apart from last season have been a better team than us for a decade, always been a tough game up there.

👍

58 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Your first para is spot on. Whether Robbie instigates it or not, he's the manager and should get it sorted.

35 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Celtic springs to mind.

Drew with Hibs

Sorry - cropped out the bit about it being last two season’s stats. 

As requested:

0D41B354-44C5-465C-A765-C255A1F9594C.jpeg

F2A6AF57-1FDC-4E4F-9397-50C9CC4C81E2.jpeg

938A8CB2-A0F6-4D8E-BBA9-D3727C452734.jpeg

14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Genuinely where should we be given the number of games / injuries?

Of you are saying 3rd is piss then I assume 2nd is the minium.... in which case I suspect you'll be disappointed.

3 hours ago, damo said:

I know I shouldn't give 2 hoots but I find it cringeworthy and embarrassing hearing the media pundits still refer to a section of the Hearts support not happy with Neilson despite his impressive record and playing good football. Gives the impression we have selection of fans who are utterly clueless. 

We do have a selection of fans that are utterly clueless. 

26 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Doing OK "just now".

He's now coached/managed for five (2×2.5) seasons.

He's never ever done less than well above the average Hearts manager.

But you're gracious enough to give him another five months, to prove what exactly?

Absolute Scenes
31 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You don’t even hide the hatred. 
How in your brain you’ve concluded that 3rd is a piece of piss is staggering. Considering what we’ve been up against in Europe and in the league, we’ve played more games than any of our third place competitors. He’s doing the best any manager has done for Hearts since…himself. You would be taken more seriously on here if your views were balanced but since you don’t have anything balanced to say regarding a good hearts manager, you’re not worth engaging with. 

Ex member of the SaS
23 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Your first para is spot on. Whether Robbie instigates it or not, he's the manager and should get it sorted.

Both of you are right, having a basically defensive coaching set up could be to blame, and I have said so before, negative passing around the backs and defending a one goal lead, is all from the training ground and it's up to the manager to dictate how the back room staff train the team. If Robbie doesn't like or want the team to drop back, then he should be making his feelings clear to those who take training. People rightly expect Robbie to get the praise when things go right, and they have to expect him being criticised when things are not going so well. What his fan club seem to forget we all want the best for our club and winning games is the goal we all strive for.

Robbie has been getting praise for the way we have been playing lately but it's still in the back of our minds how quickly we revert to defending when keep the pressure on is what we should be doing.

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Both of you are right, having a basically defensive coaching set up could be to blame, and I have said so before, negative passing around the backs and defending a one goal lead, is all from the training ground and it's up to the manager to dictate how the back room staff train the team. If Robbie doesn't like or want the team to drop back, then he should be making his feelings clear to those who take training. People rightly expect Robbie to get the praise when things go right, and they have to expect him being criticised when things are not going so well. What his fan club seem to forget we all want the best for our club and winning games is the goal we all strive for.

Robbie has been getting praise for the way we have been playing lately but it's still in the back of our minds how quickly we revert to defending when keep the pressure on is what we should be doing.

Another one who believes his own gibberish.

He's not a defensive coach.

We don't play defensive football.

You most definitely want Robbie to fail.

100% not even up for debate.

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

We were anything but 'ultra conservative' at ER

Last season we were all over them and by far and away the better side but were stopped by tbf a phenomenal goalkeeping display (and some Ref blindness).

In August we could have been 3/4 up but didn't take our chances, then they threw everything but the kitchen sink at us in the last few minutes which forced us deeper, and bar one defensive slip up to allow Boyle in we'd have won the game.

The Grim Reaper

Taken from @CMc post earlier, there are three characteristics from this list I would like to see Robbie improve on.

Rotation of the 1st eleven  - I'd like him to finally settle on a formation (433 for me) and stick to it. Play players in their correct positions and stop the constant tinkering. Play it home and away.

The next two are linked. Stop the ponderous playing around at the back and be more aggressive. We have the players to do it. Lets see a bit of style, swagger and panache. Sick and tired of us giving the opposition so much respect, especially at home. We started well and on the front foot against St Johnstone the other night. Lets do the same at home against Hibs on Monday.

21837371_Screenshot2022-12-30at15_26_42.png.2c965fba644ee894a8a5179b10744e6b.png

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Another one who believes his own gibberish.

He's not a defensive coach.

We don't play defensive football.

You most definitely want Robbie to fail.

100% not even up for debate.

Do you read and understand what is posted? He is not a coach he's the MANAGER ( but as a player he was a defender ) Elbows was a defender and he is a COACH.

People have stated Robbie does not want us falling back and defending after we score, but that is what happens, and if Robbie doesn't want it then the coaching staff should be making it clear to the players NOT to do it.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Taken from @CMc post earlier, there are three characteristics from this list I would like to see Robbie improve on.

Rotation of the 1st eleven  - I'd like him to finally settle on a formation (433 for me) and stick to it. Play players in their correct positions and stop the constant tinkering. Play it home and away.

The next two are linked. Stop the ponderous playing around at the back and be more aggressive. We have the players to do it. Lets see a bit of style, swagger and panache. Sick and tired of us giving the opposition so much respect, especially at home. We started well and on the front foot against St Johnstone the other night. Lets do the same at home against Hibs on Monday.

21837371_Screenshot2022-12-30at15_26_42.png.2c965fba644ee894a8a5179b10744e6b.png

But But Robbie doesn't tinker.

I'd be interested to see how many weeks under him have been spent outside of top 3 across both his reigns (championship aside). It'll make for impressive reading no doubt.

The guys record speaks for itself, he's not immune to the odd blip (like all sides at our level) but again he has us 3rd at New Year, with a game in hand at home. Burley aside (who didn't even get a 1/4 of a season) he's the best manager Hearts have had in my lifetime.

6 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Aggression in this context is cards and the rotation has been largely injury enforced. 

The Grim Reaper
4 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Some of the posters on here are beyond help, its personal and rational discussion is beyond them. You just have to accept it.

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, CMc said:

Aggression in this context is cards and the rotation has been largely injury enforced. 

Ah right I didn't realise that. I still want his teams to be set up and play more aggressively.

Of course the injuries don't help but he's always tinkered, whether its formation or personal.

10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Do you read and understand what is posted? He is not a coach he's the MANAGER ( but as a player he was a defender ) Elbows was a defender and he is a COACH.

People have stated Robbie does not want us falling back and defending after we score, but that is what happens, and if Robbie doesn't want it then the coaching staff should be making it clear to the players NOT to do it.

Lol.

Hilarious stuff, I don't need to read posts to understand what my eyes tell me at football matches.

When you start coaching and set up a team to play how you want to during the 90 minutes and it succeeds, give the big boys in the EPL a call, you'll get a job tomorrow.

That's not how football is played.

Watch a few games, seriously, you might learn something.

19 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We very nearly spent £1m that we probably didn’t have on Elbows to play as a striker - forgotten that?  He only played in defence latterly for Rangers. His career in England was in midfield or up front. Played nearly all of his 18 games for Scotland in midfield 

At least get your facts right before trying to make up a story. 

7 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Ah right I didn't realise that. I still want his teams to be set up and play more aggressively.

Of course the injuries don't help but he's always tinkered, whether its formation or personal.

For me, deliberately inviting teams to press us at the back so that space is created up front is a brave and attack minded strategy. 

I would suggest if we consistently played the ball forwards quickly it would invite teams to sit in deep against us and make it harder to score from open play. We don’t have a target man, so crosses against a packed defence would be unlikely to be successful. We would be reduced to speculative long bangers. 

At our best we do mix it up (eg first half v Zurich). We saw v St Johnstone the system working and the change in tempo when we found space. 

Naisys Tackle
26 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

We were anything but 'ultra conservative' at ER

Last season we were all over them and by far and away the better side but were stopped by tbf a phenomenal goalkeeping display (and some Ref blindness).

In August we could have been 3/4 up but didn't take our chances, then they threw everything but the kitchen sink at us in the last few minutes which forced us deeper, and bar one defensive slip up to allow Boyle in we'd have won the game.

Both games we were the better team yes but they were anything but attacking displays.  Not as if the vermin had their backs to the wall.  3 or 4 up?  You must have been watching a different game.  We had one good chance 1st half - took it then the same the second - missed it.  We need to go on the attack more at they grounds and take the games to them.   We had the same amount of shots and they had more possession last game and they are piss poor bare in mind.

lost in space
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You laugh at fans sticking up for our manager?

You should really be questioning the rabids who regularly want him sacked and often call him names and make up stuff about him.

You are calling Hearts fans who have a different view - "rabids" and then complain about name-calling???

You cant be serious.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, lost in space said:

You are calling Hearts fans who have a different view - "rabids" and then complain about name-calling???

You cant be serious.

They are  rabid. 

Rabid in their negative posts about Bob and Hearts.  The use of the word fits a certain group in this context. 

Been on going  since he rejoined us.

I'm not sure they are all Heart's fans either.

I'm not complaining about name calling, just pointing out why you should question that group  rather than laugh at Hearts fans backing the team and manager in a positive way.

15 minutes ago, lost in space said:

You cant be serious.

Someone earlier in this thread called you a troll.

Aren't you bothered by that or is it true ?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

You don’t even hide the hatred. 
How in your brain you’ve concluded that 3rd is a piece of piss is staggering. Considering what we’ve been up against in Europe and in the league, we’ve played more games than any of our third place competitors. He’s doing the best any manager has done for Hearts since…himself. You would be taken more seriously on here if your views were balanced but since you don’t have anything balanced to say regarding a good hearts manager, you’re not worth engaging with. 

Ffs I don't hate him. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

We weren't cagey at Fester.  We should have killed them off when on top but other than getting pushed back in the last 10 we dominated.  I don't think we were particularly cagey at the stade de codheid either. 

I just wish we could get a settled back four.

lost in space
7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

They are  rabid. 

Rabid in their negative posts about Bob and Hearts.  The use of the word fits a certain group in this context. 

Been on going  since he rejoined us.

I'm not sure they are all Heart's fans either.

I'm not complaining about name calling, just pointing out why you should question that group  rather than laugh at Hearts fans backing the team and manager in a positive way.

Fair enough but my view is that there are many hearts fans who are not keen on the type of football Neilson plays - but I don't think there is a vendetta against the man personally.

Rabid is too harsh, I think.

i wish jj was my dad
49 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

He has had to patch up the team, particularly the back line, all season.  Difficult to miss that tbh.  

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Anyone who thinks 3rd is ever a piece of piss can't have been following Scottish football very long, and definitely not Hearts. Either that or the world's shortest memory.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Then you don't understand what our team's actually doing. We need space to play, and we create that space by passing about deep, drawing out their midfield and attack.

It not only draws out the other team, it forces their players to run hard yards chasing, while the ball does the work for us.

And all the while, we're looking for an overload, or through ball, or a key man in space, etc.

The funny thing is, this is what Paolo wanted to do, but we didn't have the players.

Anyway, it's not ultra defensive at all, it's strategic, purposeful, and pretty effective.

• davemclaren changed the title to Robbie Neilson ( merged )