Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that Neilson has done a few lads misses on here, and it’s resulted in threads like this.

There is literally no other explanation for why some just can’t get over him for some reason.

It's hilarious. One of our best spells in a long while and they're picking holes. 

He could win the league and they'd moan he didn't win it by enough points. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

He's spoken more sense than a lot of folk criticising Neilson. 

That's because you agree.  (not saying he hasn')

Like a "great post - agree 100%) any post is great or correct anyone that agrees and not factual.

Naisys Tackle

It's hilarious. One of our best spells in a long while and they're picking holes. 

Tbh I agree.  I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to pick holes currently. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Tbh I agree.  I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to pick holes currently. 

It’s a mystery that everyone doesn’t have the same opinion.

5 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

That's because you agree.  (not saying he hasn')

Like a "great post - agree 100%) any post is great or correct anyone that agrees and not factual.

I do agree with a lot of what he says but a lot of the so-called 'balanced' detractors are really clutching at straws on this thread. 

We disagreed on a bit on some things a couple months back but I never once thought you were coming from a position of not wanting what was better from Hearts. Some of the chaps on this thread make me wonder...

Voice of reason
8 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I always laugh at the Neilson Ultras Fan club when they eventually come out with this.  They cant accept any negative views on their hero and start name-calling or calling posters hobos when they dare to question their man.

Its rather pathetic - but funny.

Surely you can see that the facts support the manager being popular and not a figure of hate? Maybe it’s the Neilson Ultra Haters who need to stand back and rethink their position? Entrenched, blinkered and stubborn are words that spring to mind when I think of them and I’m not a particularly massive Neilson fan.

Shooter McGavin

Aye and if you point out that he’s actually a very capable manager who has a track record of hitting his targets, and is currently well on track to do so again, you’re just a fanboy apparently 😂

But his track record, stats and the evidence you provide is not good enough for the mob who simply can’t get him out of their heads. They’ll just keep scrambling to construct silly arguments that they 1. Can’t back up, and 2. fold like a red hot Mars Bar.

Some are still clinging on to the Brora game for dear life ffs

:gok:

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It just gives an impression that the health of Hearts as a football club is secondary to an underlying agenda against Robbie Neilson. 

There's times to be critical but the club is arguably the most stable it's been in decades.

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I get that and the sliced bread attitude isn't shared with me either but come on, we are looking very good on the park at the moment in comparison to others with the same financial clout and can look forward with optimism.  Don't get the "aye but" mentality.  Neilson is doing as good if not better than what can be expected of him and to agree with BRB (it happens sometimes) he's achieving it consistently - something that's extremely difficult for clubs like us in our league. 

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I do agree with a lot of what he says but a lot of the so-called 'balanced' detractors are really clutching at straws on this thread. 

We disagreed on a bit on some things a couple months back but I never once thought you were coming from a position of not wanting what was better from Hearts. Some of the chaps on this thread make me wonder...

Yeah true.  👍

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Aye and if you point out that he’s actually a very capable manager who has a track record of hitting his targets, and is currently well on track to do so again, you’re just a fanboy apparently 😂

But his track record, stats and the evidence you provide is not good enough for the mob who simply can’t get him out of their heads. They’ll just keep scrambling to construct silly arguments that they 1. Can’t back up, and 2. fold like a red hot Mars Bar.

Some are still clinging on to the Brora game for dear life ffs

:gok:

Exactly. I think the vast majority of us would've wanted him binned after Brora. I'd have made him walk home. 

But he was retained and he's delivered since. It's a weird let's live in the past mentality. 

Personally I think we should sack him cos he never faced up to his receding hairline earlier. Clearly couldn't motivate his hair enough and wasn't decisive enough to shave it off earlier. Is this really the man we want running Hearts? 

Absolute Scenes
18 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Meanwhile our Robbie is filling them 😉

Absolute Scenes
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What is it exactly that you are not happy with right now? Where should hearts, with the budget and players we have, be sitting? Where REALISTICALLY should we be sitting in the league? What do you want?

7 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

What is it exactly that you are not happy with right now? Where should hearts, with the budget and players we have, be sitting? Where REALISTICALLY should we be sitting in the league? What do you want?

From what I can gather people want....

Less slack passing.

To beat teams we don't play against.

To "just believe" when we play Celtic or Rangers.

For him to shout more re Naismith or Pressley.

Sign better players although our signings are good.

Go route one, no passing it about nonsense.

Have less possession but concede less goals.

Win away from home, beat Hibs, beat Aberdeen, get to cup finals (all of which he does).

Have I missed anything??

lost in space
16 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Surely you can see that the facts support the manager being popular and not a figure of hate? Maybe it’s the Neilson Ultra Haters who need to stand back and rethink their position? Entrenched, blinkered and stubborn are words that spring to mind when I think of them and I’m not a particularly massive Neilson fan.

You say you are not particularly a Neilson fan - why are you not?  Please give more detail as to why you arnt.

You certainly use some of their language - "figure of hate" / name calling those who are not Neilson fans.

I do NOT hate Neilson. I doubt if anybody on here does. What is there to hate??  He seems like a very nice man. He seems to be a good guy who wants us to win and will do his best for Hearts to acheive success.

He has done well. I want him to say - as this will mean that he has continued to be successful.

There is a down side to him tho (boring football etc).

HE IS NOT GOD!

Fans should surely be allowed to express doubts - without the paranoia from the Neislon Ultras. 

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Less slack passing.

Win away from home, beat Hibs, beat Aberdeen, get to cup finals (all of which he does).

Have I missed anything??

Go back in time and win a game that happened, *checks notes*, 21 months ago.

Put youth players in the squad, even if they’re not ready or good enough, but still turn teams over.

27 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

It just gives an impression that the health of Hearts as a football club is secondary to an underlying agenda against Robbie Neilson. 

There's times to be critical but the club is arguably the most stable it's been in decades.

I know I shouldn't give 2 hoots but I find it cringeworthy and embarrassing hearing the media pundits still refer to a section of the Hearts support not happy with Neilson despite his impressive record and playing good football. Gives the impression we have selection of fans who are utterly clueless. 

One thing I cannot get my head around is the idea Neilson plays boring football.

Our games are usually pretty exciting and we have the best attacking talent outside the OF.

I think people sometimes mistake being boring/negative for losing which every team will do at least once in a while.

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, ali_jambo said:

One thing I cannot get my head around is the idea Neilson plays boring football.

Our games are usually pretty exciting and we have the best attacking talent outside the OF.

I think people sometimes mistake being boring/negative for losing which every team will do at least once in a while.

People watch Man City on Sky and go “wE sHoULd Be DoInG tHaT!”

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

People watch Man City on Sky and go “wE sHoULd Be DoInG tHaT!”

Man city fans watch us and think the same.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

If we won the league it would be because everyone else was pish.

That's already been spouted when we won the championship x2.

1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

Less slack passing.

Have I missed anything??

I'd sorely like us to work on defending crosses into the box. Whilst I've been positive on this thread and happy with where we are and what Neilson's doing...the defending of crosses is diabolical week after week.

5 minutes ago, ali_jambo said:

This season has been a hoot on that front. Anyone who thinks we play defensive or negative football only really proves that a) they really don't understand football b) they need to go to specsavers.

On a similar theme he is often criticised for sitting in when ahead while at the same time not starting on the front foot...... 

Again anyone who actually listens to him is aware the sitting in or playing deeper drives him mad. But that doesn't fit the narrative.

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, damo said:

I know I shouldn't give 2 hoots but I find it cringeworthy and embarrassing hearing the media pundits still refer to a section of the Hearts support not happy with Neilson despite his impressive record and playing good football. Gives the impression we have selection of fans who are utterly clueless. 

It's not an impression,  we do have fans that are exactly that, every clubs does.

Just now, Taffin said:

I'd sorely like us to work on defending crosses into the box. Whilst I've been positive on this thread and happy with where we are and what Neilson's doing...the defending of crosses is diabolical week after week.

To be fair that is a good point. We went through a spell when any have decent delivery into our box resulted in a goal.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

Less slack passing.

Have I missed anything??

Mare yoof!!!

Sinbad the Sailor

When are folk going to learn Lost in Space is a Troll?.....

Turn on ignore or just scroll. Probably a Hibbie or a manic depressive if so that's a shame.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

4 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

To be fair that is a good point. We went through a spell when any have decent delivery into our box resulted in a goal.

It is, but I'd be surprised if we aren't trying to address it or aren't aware of it.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Sinbad the Sailor said:

When are folk going to learn Lost in Space is a Troll?.....

Turn on ignore or just scroll. Probably a Hibbie or a manic depressive if so that's a shame.

The two sometimes go hand in hand.....

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

All season we've been putting plasters over bandages over stookies defensively

Can’t see why people would be picking holes. We play decent football, we win games, we’ve been in Europe.

But I’ve always said people are always entitled to their opinion right or wrong.

The trolls are obvious, I don’t see many these days as they are all on ignore. 

27 minutes ago, ali_jambo said:

They're just stupid. Only explanation.

3-1

2-2

2-3

****ing boring and negative????

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

All season we've been putting plasters over bandages over stookies defensively

We have, but chopping and changing between a 2 and a 3 and shoehorning full backs into cb probably hasn't helped. Some of the goals we've conceded or chances Gordon has had to save have been comical from crosses. If there's one thing we can be certain of in a season, it's injuries; the lack of shape, marking, awareness and ownership can surely be improved with the personnel we've had. 

I'm not au fait with a good stats site, but I'd be surprised if we've not conceded some of the most xG or actual goals from crosses into the box in the league and I'm not sure most team's below us starting pairing are 'better' than our cobbled together ones.

14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It is, but I'd be surprised if we aren't trying to address it or aren't aware of it.

Fingers crossed, but it's been going on all season so whatever they're doing isn't working too well.

In Neilson's defence it was (imo) an obvious area we were short in during the window and we didn't really address it. That's not on him.

It's fine because we're outscoring the opponents and that's exciting and enjoyable. Not having a pop at him, just answering the question from the poster on any other criticism someone could have.

I think going forward, next time we drop a point, we all come on JKB and scream for the managers head.

All in the world will become clear and the fanboyz will be no more.

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I think going forward, next time we drop a point, we all come on JKB and scream for the managers head.

All in the world will become clear and the fanboyz will be no more.

Last time we dropped a point it was majorly agreed it was a good point overall against Dundee Utd and also Livi at home all things considered.  

I don't see a massive overboard reaction at all against the team or Robbie.  More so the other side of the fence looking for it.

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Last time we dropped a point it was majorly agreed it was a good point overall against Dundee Utd and also Livi at home all things considered.  

I don't see a massive overboard reaction at all against the team or Robbie.  More so the other side of the fence looking for it.

Over thinking JKB isn't healthy.

Look at those around you  😉

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fingers crossed, but it's been going on all season so whatever they're doing isn't working too well.

In Neilson's defence it was (imo) an obvious area we were short in during the window and we didn't really address it. That's not on him.

It's fine because we're outscoring the opponents and that's exciting and enjoyable. Not having a pop at him, just answering the question from the poster on any other criticism someone could have.

I think our unsettled defence is a big reason for it. 

I'd be surprised if we never tried to get a good centre half in but it didn't come off. Getting in antcild just fir boosting numbers is something I'm against.

Many think because we never got a player in we ignored that position or concern.  I doubt that very much and with Sibbick and Neilson likely thought we  had enough in reserve for some injury cover but not the complete down of Halkett.

I started a thread on the defence ( still alive), it is a concern and I'm sure we'll address it in the window.

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I think the majority on here are simply sick of the same group  stinking out matchday threads and calling for Neilson's head at every opportunity.

Its been going on pretty much since he returned with that bunch.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

You must miss a lot of posts.

23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We have, but chopping and changing between a 2 and a 3 and shoehorning full backs into cb probably hasn't helped. Some of the goals we've conceded or chances Gordon has had to save have been comical from crosses. If there's one thing we can be certain of in a season, it's injuries; the lack of shape, marking, awareness and ownership can surely be improved with the personnel we've had. 

I'm not au fait with a good stats site, but I'd be surprised if we've not conceded some of the most xG or actual goals from crosses into the box in the league and I'm not sure most team's below us starting pairing are 'better' than our cobbled together ones.

Defences need drilled and time together, we've had to deal with all sorts. And let's be honest, Gordon's probably the greatest keeper we've had (sorry Antti!) but he's a shiter with crosses himself, it's not just the central defense.

Hopefully big Zander will help.

Edited by Smithee

2 hours ago, lost in space said:

I always laugh at the Neilson Ultras Fan club when they eventually come out with this.  They cant accept any negative views on their hero and start name-calling or calling posters hobos when they dare to question their man.

Imagine sticking up for our manager who has us in a great position after a successful season last season. A manager who is bizarrely regularly criticised by a section of our supporters. Surely its not still because a team couldn't hold out a 2-0 lead 7 years ago!?

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Defences need drilled and time together, we've had to deal with all sorts. And let's be honest, Gordon's probably the greatest keeper we've had (sorry Antti!) but he's a shiter with crosses himself, it's not just the dental defense.

Hopefully big Zander will help.

Agree. Love Gordon but I do think he has his share of culpability for the amount of goals lost from crosses. 

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You must miss a lot of posts.

6 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Over thinking JKB isn't healthy.

Look at those around you  😉

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think the majority on here are simply sick of the same group  stinking out matchday threads and calling for Neilson's head at every opportunity.

Its been going on pretty much since he returned with that bunch.

True.

And can understand where you are coming from Frank.  Try and not allow it to bother you that much mate.  Enjoy what's happening on and off the pitch just now instead would be my advice :) 

1 hour ago, damo said:

It gives that impression because unfortunately it is true. Media always seemed baffled when Hearts fans want Neilson out. 

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Go back in time and win a game that happened, *checks notes*, 21 months ago.

I think for many it's actually a case of going back to a game that happened over 6 years ago...

It's no wonder that type have so little positive to say about Hearts.  They only care about 4/5 games of the season.  Still trying to make sense of why, when under Robbie in this stint, we currently win or at worst draw those games, they're still not happy.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Exactly. I think the vast majority of us would've wanted him binned after Brora. I'd have made him walk home. 

But he was retained and he's delivered since. It's a weird let's live in the past mentality. 

Personally I think we should sack him cos he never faced up to his receding hairline earlier. Clearly couldn't motivate his hair enough and wasn't decisive enough to shave it off earlier. Is this really the man we want running Hearts? 

I want him sacked for that stupid hand clapping thing🤣

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, lost in space said:

You laugh at fans sticking up for our manager?

You should really be questioning the rabids who regularly want him sacked and often call him names and make up stuff about him.

22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don’t think many free stat sites will give the levels of detail you’re looking for. 

Best I can do is:

Our XGa is 1.77 (2nd worst in league) XGa suggests we should have conceded 32 goals. We’ve “only” conceded 30.  

Of those, 3 were penalties, 1 was a break away. 

of the remaining 26:

5 were from set pieces. I don’t remember an opponent goal from a direct free kick. This is 17% of goals conceded. 

21 were from open play. 67% of shots conceded are in our box. Only 29% of shots come from wide positions. 

We have faced 21 crosses. We win 53% of our headers. I think from memory, we conceded around 5-6 from headers or back post cross tap ins.  So I guess about a quarter of crosses from open play are converted. 

If the above is accurate, about a third of our goals are conceded from crosses. 

Graphic below is a summary of our style based on available data on WhoScored

AF816A41-10B7-478D-BB9E-7DAD9BC65E28.jpeg

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Heaven forfend we dont all agree.

• davemclaren changed the title to Robbie Neilson ( merged )