Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

39 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Well that's nonsense. 

There are posters who are positively erect when we have a setback and slither away when we win. 

To be fair, some of them scuttle away.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

We_are_the_Hearts

Credit where it’s due we have went for it since we got back and 7 points is a great return considering the key injuries we have had again. Been open games and the fans are right behind the club. Let’s keep it going. 

8 hours ago, Ministryofdad said:

Yeah. But............. 

That's all he can achieve with us. 

Has taken us as far as he can go with his ability. 

We are atm 20 points off top and 16 off 2nd.

Give him millions like Celtic or millions of debt like Rangers! Have a word with yourself. It's the same in England with same teams or team winning the EPL.

Look at Newcastle just now, getting millions pumped in and they're flying. 

We're playing decent football, been in Europe and had horrendous injuries. Robbie has us third and under those circumstances he's doing a great job as manager, a manager!

10 hours ago, Locky said:

With all due respect, Robbie contributed to that hoodoo more than any other manager. Tonight was his 7th attempt at winning away at Saints so it was about time. 

I credit Robbie where he deserves it, and as I always say, his record speaks for itself. It does seem mental to criticise him when he's delivered 2 promotions and 2 third place finishes in his only 4 full seasons.

But, I do fully understand the sceptics and am guilty of siding with them myself. Once again, we were a goal or 2 up and cruising in a game only to make hard work of it. That's Neilson down to a tee. Also, we've got a derby coming up which we should be wildly confident for. Only there's seeds of doubt in my mind, purely because of Neilson's track record of sitting off Hibs.

To summarise, I do believe he's a safe pair of hands and I'm happy with him, but I'm still convinced we could do better, and I'm still not 100% confident in his abilities.

To be fair we were cruising at 2-0 and a careless challenge by Snodgrass combined with dreadful refereeing/var gave them a lifeline. Not sure Neilson can do anything about that. Hope he learned a lesson though and Shankland isn’t captain again - I prefer my main striker at top end of pitch rather than getting deeper and deeper trying to guide his team 

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

No dramatics after a few results from me Tosh. Always give my honest opinion mate. 

Sadly if your opinion doesn’t agree with the said poster.

You bad.

4 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Devlin - running and tackling

Snodgrass - guile and passing

Think Devlin needs to offer more than that. Love the wee guy to bits but noticed in a few games now how limited he is with the ball at feet when it comes to picking out a forward pass or shooting. It’s a shame because his positional sense is excellent and he gets into great areas. Hopefully something that can be coached and developed.

8 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not saying he was instructed to do so necessarily. Either he was, or he found himself doing so as a natural side effect of a two man midfield being overrun at times. And defensively he lacks. But if he was instructed to sit deeper than normal it’s because he didn’t have Kiomourtzoglou in with him and Devlin, where he knows he can naturally play further forward, he had Grant ahead of him, who was decent by the way, but was playing a more attacking role. It’s not necessarily a criticism, it’s just saying Snodgrass as one of a two in central midfield is defensively a weakness that can be exploited, and was a few times tonight. It’s not his game though.

Fair enough, i didn't quite see him playing more deeper than usual but I agree that opponents can potentially exploit us defensively as Snodgrass isn't the quickest.

Then again, a big reason we have so much possession in each game is because Snodgrass keeps the ball so well - so opponents shouldn't have the opportunity to exploit this too often.

2-1 v United and social medial had all your Phoodle out boys all over the place ☹️ These guys really hate him and would be happy for Hearts to lose so they could say we are right. The only thing I can pin it on is losing to h1b5 which blows my mind 🙄 they actually hate him more than they love Hearts 🫣 so now we have the argument of finishing 2nd which isn’t going to happen over night but I believe he is still that man to take us there at the affordable level that Heartscan go.

1 minute ago, Snodders said:

Think Devlin needs to offer more than that. Love the wee guy to bits but noticed in a few games now how limited he is with the ball at feet when it comes to picking out a forward pass or shooting. It’s a shame because his positional sense is excellent and he gets into great areas. Hopefully something that can be coached and developed.

You pick all that Shit up playing on the PlayStation ?

1 minute ago, Snodders said:

I think he does tbh, I was just simplifying it. I recall him breaking forward once and winning a free kick for us. Then last week he obviously setup Smith's goal.

Goals would be good to add, but think it is a bit unrealistic for him to add this to his game. You never know though.

9 hours ago, been here before said:

The weather up there was miserable tonight and Neilson done **** all to change it.

We need a manager in who can control the elements.

Thought that was going to be a wee Christmas themed football song when I read the first few words 😞 

24 minutes ago, saxondale said:

I think he does tbh, I was just simplifying it. I recall him breaking forward once and winning a free kick for us. Then last week he obviously setup Smith's goal.

Goals would be good to add, but think it is a bit unrealistic for him to add this to his game. You never know though.

It’s not so much the goals thing, more the creativity and forward passing. Perhaps being a bit harsh but I’ve seen comments about him moving on to play at potentially a very high level and he won’t do that with those limits. He has plenty positives to counteract them though and definitely good enough for our league. Has an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time not just defensively but also in forward areas. Just wish he had a bit more quality on the ball but suppose if he did he wouldn’t be with us. 

Captain Lithuania

Love Robbie. Always had my backing. A bit shaky with results around our Euro run but he and the squad have come out of that fighting and better players and a better manager. 

31 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Fair enough, i didn't quite see him playing more deeper than usual but I agree that opponents can potentially exploit us defensively as Snodgrass isn't the quickest.

Then again, a big reason we have so much possession in each game is because Snodgrass keeps the ball so well - so opponents shouldn't have the opportunity to exploit this too often.

Of course. He rarely loses it, but it’s something better teams can exploit more ruthlessly. Just a cautionary tale is all I say. Despite his age, he’s actually decent at a high press (like he showed against Celtic), that’s where I’d like to see him more. Last night probably had a bit to do with Devlin having a quiet/average night too. Wasn’t his usual dynamic self, which again if we’re playing a central two then we need dynamism in there so as to not be easily overrun.

10 minutes ago, Snodders said:

It’s not so much the goals thing, more the creativity and forward passing. Perhaps being a bit harsh but I’ve seen comments about him moving on to play at potentially a very high level and he won’t do that with those limits. He has plenty positives to counteract them though and definitely good enough for our league. Has an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time not just defensively but also in forward areas. Just wish he had a bit more quality on the ball but suppose if he did he wouldn’t be with us. 

I see Devlin building a few attacks and feeding forwards every game he plays for us 

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I see Devlin building a few attacks and feeding forwards every game he plays for us 

He does and that’s what he’s good at: breaking up opposition attacks and getting the ball to forward thinking players. The weaker part of his game is when he goes forward and becomes the player receiving the ball in the final third. He’s young so hopefully can develop more confidence in those areas 👍🏻

Carl Fredrickson

My first Hearts game was in 1973. 

Most consistent manager IMO up until Robbie was McDonald. Small squad, not a lot of money to spend but each player knew his job and stuck to his task. Heart breaking that McDonald never won a trophy in his time with us. 

JJs first spell was a fantastic time to be a Heart fan as we got to finals and won one. 

Were either of them perfect? No. Were we consistent in the league? Not really. Sometimes their tactics were wrong and players made mistakes. 

Robbie in his two spells has been the most consistent manager for league finishes. Granted two were in the championships but each time we won them with weeks to spare. 

Rantic have budgets that all other teams cannot compete with. Hearts need to do their best to unearth players for our system within our budget that will be harder to do as we aim to close the gap on second.

If a Hearts manager has us finishing third every year I will be delighted. We have seen how bad we have performed in recent seasons without Robbie. 

12 minutes ago, Snodders said:

He does and that’s what he’s good at: breaking up opposition attacks and getting the ball to forward thinking players. The weaker part of his game is when he goes forward and becomes the player receiving the ball in the final third. He’s young so hopefully can develop more confidence in those areas 👍🏻

Should clarify that there are plenty players who become masters of the Makelele/Kante position and Devlin could definitely master that role too. However he plays a much more forward thinking role at the moment and it shows up the weaknesses in his game in the final third.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You bad.

Not bad.

I n this case, Just wrong.👍

kingantti1874

10 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

He doesn't get abuse. People point out what they perceive are his negative traits or limitations. That's it. 

Others then get bent out of shape because people have the temerity to not hail Robbie as the second coming of jesus. 

For what it's worth. Robbie and the players have done a tremendous job in getting us where we are. 

The hard work starts now tho. We have to keep third and strengthen if we can. It all counts for nothing if come the end of the season we are not still in third. 

ha ha lol.  That’s laughable. Half of this board has vanished over the past few weeks.  They will be back out of the hole they slithered into at the first sign of a bad result demanding heads.  

constructive criticism is fine btw, he’s far from perfect but usually it is delivered in a tirade of bile, nonsense and half truths tailored to fit a pathetic agenda.

Edited by kingantti1874

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, tynietigers said:

2-1 v United and social medial had all your Phoodle out boys all over the place ☹️ These guys really hate him and would be happy for Hearts to lose so they could say we are right. The only thing I can pin it on is losing to h1b5 which blows my mind 🙄 they actually hate him more than they love Hearts 🫣 so now we have the argument of finishing 2nd which isn’t going to happen over night but I believe he is still that man to take us there at the affordable level that Heartscan go.

There's a few on here that are happy for us to lose so they get their way.

Their lack of enthusiasm or even absence from here after a win is telling compared to thefun they have on here after a defeat.

What a horrible way to support a club.

Very strange. 

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

There's a few on here that are happy for us to lose so they get their way.

Their lack of enthusiasm or even absence from here after a win is telling compared to thefun they have on here after a defeat.

What a horrible way to support a club.

Very strange. 

Genuinely don't believe that.  Some are a lot more vocal and lose the plot more when we lose but can't believe anyone is happy we lose tbh.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Credit where it’s due we have went for it since we got back and 7 points is a great return considering the key injuries we have had again. Been open games and the fans are right behind the club. Let’s keep it going. 

Agree we are playing like some of us have been demanding, so Credit where it's due and all we can do is hope we keep it up. We do end to retreat into a defensive unit after scoring and we need to keep the pressure on when on top.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Genuinely don't believe that.  Some are a lot more vocal and lose the plot more when we lose but can't believe anyone is happy we lose tbh.

No it’s definitely true. We had posters actively posting they wanted Levein to lose a derby so it would mean him getting rid of him (yes we all know that at some point he had to go, but to actively seek a hearts loss against bitter rivals is outstandingly insane) 

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

No it’s definitely true. We had posters actively posting they wanted Levein to lose a derby so it would mean him getting rid of him (yes we all know that at some point he had to go, but to actively seek a hearts loss against bitter rivals is outstandingly insane) 

Just can't get my head around wanting to lose any game let alone a derby tbh. I hate us conceding a goal and get so frustrated ffs. 

kingantti1874
11 hours ago, Ministryofdad said:

Yeah. But............. 

That's all he can achieve with us. 

Has taken us as far as he can go with his ability. 

We are atm 20 points off top and 16 off 2nd.

see this is a post that gets on my tits.  It’s window licking levels of stupid. 

posters view seems to be that we shouldn’t lose to teams operating on or very near to our budget.  Yet we should move him on because we can’t challenge team operating on 5/6 times our budget.  Teams who have  bigger squads with better players in every single position on the pitch.  What kind of stupid  logic, or measure is that to judge a manager by ? 

There is NO manager available on earth who can close that gap. Pep, Klopp or bielsa wouldn’t be able to do it Never mind one who is available or within reach.  IF we did find a miracle coach or miracle players then we’d lose them all the first time another team came sniffing as the only thing that matters is money. 

the only way to get close is to get into europe consistently, and find ways to earn money to buy better players and hold onto them for longer  that’s it. There’s no other way 

Where are are right now is as far as we as a club until we are able to spend more and that is the reality .. with maybe exception of maybe sneaking a trophy if the luck gods smile on us.

Edited by kingantti1874

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

see this is a post that gets on my tits.  It’s window licking levels of stupid. 

posters view that we shouldn’t lose to teams operating on or very near to our budget.  Yet we should move him on because we can’t challenge team operating on 5/6 times our budget.  With bigger better squads, and simply better players in every single position on the pitch.  What kind of stupid ducking logic, or measure is that to set a manager ? 

There is NO manager available on earth who can close that gap. Pep, Klopp or bielsa wouldn’t be able to do it Never mind one who is available or within reach.  IF we did find a miracle coach or miracle players then we’d lose them all the first time another team came sniffing as the only thing that matters is money. 

the only way to get close is to get into europe consistently, and find ways to earn money to buy better players and hold onto them for longer  that’s it. There’s no other way 

Where are are right now is as far as we as a club until we are able to spend more and that is the reality .. with tv exception of maybe sneaking a trophy if the luck gods smile on us.

I took his post as being sarcastic🤷🏻‍♂️

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

This.

24 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My first Hearts game was in 1973. 

Most consistent manager IMO up until Robbie was McDonald. Small squad, not a lot of money to spend but each player knew his job and stuck to his task. Heart breaking that McDonald never won a trophy in his time with us. 

JJs first spell was a fantastic time to be a Heart fan as we got to finals and won one. 

Were either of them perfect? No. Were we consistent in the league? Not really. Sometimes their tactics were wrong and players made mistakes. 

Robbie in his two spells has been the most consistent manager for league finishes. Granted two were in the championships but each time we won them with weeks to spare. 

Rantic have budgets that all other teams cannot compete with. Hearts need to do their best to unearth players for our system within our budget that will be harder to do as we aim to close the gap on second.

If a Hearts manager has us finishing third every year I will be delighted. We have seen how bad we have performed in recent seasons without Robbie. 

Alex MacDonald got Hearts into 2nd twice and 3rd once in 5 seasons. Put out a great team to watch and into Europe winning some memorable games.

A different time in different circumstances.  There certainly wasn’t the money in the game then than there is now and you had to bring through young, home bred players more than you do now.  

JJs was a similar time also.

Robbie is doing a very good job like he did before in his first spell but perversely, in time, it could go against him as people will be looking for more.  It’s just the nature of the game. With success comes more expectancy.  

It often did work against Hearts managers in the past.  Even Jim Jefferies.  Win the cup, finish top 3, only 7 points behind the league winners, and we all expected it again after beating Rangers in the opening match of 98/99. He got back to 3rd again but it wasn’t enough insurance from the sack a season later.  

RN is actually in a great position, as you point out his league record.  Win a cup and he gets legend status.  

11 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Agree we are playing like some of us have been demanding, so Credit where it's due and all we can do is hope we keep it up. We do end to retreat into a defensive unit after scoring and we need to keep the pressure on when on top.

You have to remember there’s two teams on the pitch though and you can’t always dictate. Last night we scored and continued to press and dominate. The turnaround in second half was more to do with St J than anything we did differently.

8 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Just can't get my head around wanting to lose any game let alone a derby tbh. I hate us conceding a goal and get so frustrated ffs. 

If we do lose a goal its better if its the latest boo boys fault. That way you can at least have another reason not to get behind him. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Rods said:

If we do lose a goal its better if its the latest boo boys fault. That way you can at least have another reason not to get behind him. 

That makes no sense at all.  We lose a goal it's a team game and effects everyone.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Very niave and folk in the past have admitted as much.

Wanting the manager sacked, calling him daft names and shooting down anything positive isn't losing the plot,  it's rabid, slavering pish. 

Their absence from positive threads and lack of activity after wins is also telling,  that is what's gave the most rabid anti Bob posters away. 

They only sing when we're losing, sing when we're losing!

19 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Don't rise to him. Remember he wanted Hibs to win the cup. No matter how much he wants us to forget that!

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Snodders said:

I took his post as being sarcastic🤷🏻‍♂️

maybe so.  If it was an I missed it then I apologise to the poster.  

but point stands.  There are PLENTY on here who feel that way 

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

That makes no sense at all.  We lose a goal it's a team game and effects everyone.

But if its a boo boy that loses the goal does that make you feel a bit more vindacated? 

There is parallels with wanting a manager to lose a game so he gets sacked with a player mistiming a pass for us to lose a goal and therefore gets dropped.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Very niave and folk in the past have admitted as much.

Wanting the manager sacked, calling him daft names and shooting down anything positive isn't losing the plot,  it's rabid, slavering pish. 

Their absence from positive threads and lack of activity after wins is also telling,  that is what's gave the most rabid anti Bob posters away. 

They only sing when we're losing, sing when we're losing!

Yeah can see where you are coming from. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You bad.

Yip.

I'd like to know if he has always backed the manager. Did he back him after Brora or did he want him gone? Did he back Levein until the bitter end? 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Demanding...

Credit were it's due...

Ffs, you are one of the most entitled posters around.

You think Hearts are here to entertain you and Bob is here to deliver that.

You constantly ignore the fact that football is a competitive sport and there are two teams.

It's a theme of your posts.

It's like you are new to football .

"Credit we're it's due"....1st, 3rd, 1st, 3rd and now 3rd again atm...

:rofl:

Bob will be glad he is now meeting your demands tho. He'll sleep easy.

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Rods said:

But if its a boo boy that loses the goal does that make you feel a bit more vindacated? 

There is parallels with wanting a manager to lose a game so he gets sacked with a player mistiming a pass for us to lose a goal and therefore gets dropped.

Me personally?  

If I think a player isn't good enough I hope and want to be incorrect about it and happy when proven wrong.  The last thing I want is any player to make a mistake for a goal and never once felt anything but crap when we concede a goal.

You are looking for an argument with the wrong person it seems.  For everyone slagging off people who are seemingly desperate for us to lose - some seem to be delighted in trying to cause arguments instead of just being happy we have came through to the end of the year so well.

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Me personally?  

If I think a player isn't good enough I hope and want to be incorrect about it and happy when proven wrong.  The last thing I want is any player to make a mistake for a goal and never once felt anything but crap when we concede a goal.

You are looking for an argument with the wrong person it seems.  For everyone slagging off people who are seemingly desperate for us to lose - some seem to be delighted in trying to cause arguments instead of just being happy we have came through to the end of the year so well.

My apologies super fan.

• davemclaren changed the title to Robbie Neilson ( merged )