Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, briever said:

Looking at the draw it could be a Arg v Brazil.

I can see that being a semi final…with the other one France vs Germany

44 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

That would mean either Argentina finishing 2nd in a group with Poland, Mexico and Saudi Arabia, or Brazil finishing 2nd in a group with Switzerland, Serbia and Cameroon. Can't see it.

Edit: got that wrong actually. They would be on path to meet in the semi if they both win their groups (or both finish 2nd).

Edited by Sooperstar

1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

Germany to win troops. 11/1

Get on them, when they get out that group their odds will plummet 👍🏻

Toiled to beat Oman 1-0 yesterday and thought they were about as poor as I've ever seen a German team in the recent 3-3 at Wembley. But will want to make up for coming bottom of their group in 2018 and can never write them off when it comes to tournament football. 

I do think Brazil are decent favourites but out of the European teams I'm leaning Spain over France and England. Expect Holland to score a lot of goals and Costa Rica to be whipping boys. Would love to see a Brazil v Argentina final in this one. 

Group acca.

Netherlands win

England win

Argentina win

France win

Japan not to qualify

Croatia to qualify

Cameroon not to qualify

Ghana not to qualify

Roughly 9/1

Group forecast acca.

Netherlands - Equador

England - USA

Argentina - Mexico

France - Denmark

Germany - Spain

Roughly 117/1

1 hour ago, Deviskan said:

Brazil v France final is 16/1 with Paddy Power, one of the best bets I’ve seen.

ScandinavianJambo
9 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Looking forward with interest to Iran's games. Their football teams, like other Iranian sports teams, have chosen not to celebrate goals, not to celebrate victories and probably most importantly have stopped singing their national anthem as part of anti government protests over death of young woman earlier this year.

Games broadcast mute by state TV and behind closed doors to ensure no protests heard.

Considering their opponents, pressure will be ramped up on players as the government won't want to lose to US or UK teams, but players not cooperating with rulers.

That is indeed interesting. One thing for sure politics is in the middle of this tournament. Brave to stand up against the Mullahs. 

Naisys Tackle
5 hours ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I'm not going anywhere and will not respect oppressive laws or customs. What's next let's show Afganistan's Taliban's respect shall we!?

You don't have to because you aren't going to the country.  France captain is though so it's fair he does.  

If I was going on holiday to Afghanistan or heading to work there then yes I would have to respect the law there too. 

Naisys Tackle
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Brazil v Argentina 

Subject to the usual madness of the draw 

Have a Brazil Argentina Semi. 

Aaron Mooy is hoping Australia’s strong Scottish connection might bring a few more supporters on board as the Socceroos plot a tricky path out of Group D at the World Cup.

While Scotland failed to qualify for Qatar, the Australian squad features three Scottish-born players and Mooy is one of seven who play club football in the country’s Premier League — leading some to dub the team the “Jockeroos”.

“I didn’t know about that name!” the Celtic midfielder laughed at Australia’s training camp in Doha on Wednesday.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/11/17/jockeroos-want-scottish-support-in-qatar/

10 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Please don't say Germany and Troops in the same sentence, please. It's not good for the Heart.

7 hours ago, Tommy Walker said:

Aaron Mooy is hoping Australia’s strong Scottish connection might bring a few more supporters on board as the Socceroos plot a tricky path out of Group D at the World Cup.

While Scotland failed to qualify for Qatar, the Australian squad features three Scottish-born players and Mooy is one of seven who play club football in the country’s Premier League — leading some to dub the team the “Jockeroos”.

“I didn’t know about that name!” the Celtic midfielder laughed at Australia’s training camp in Doha on Wednesday.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/11/17/jockeroos-want-scottish-support-in-qatar/

It's amazing how certain people are allowed to be openly mocked. Would they put black or the shortening of Pakistan before roos, if they had a few in their squad.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

It's amazing how certain people are allowed to be openly mocked. Would they put black or the shortening of Pakistan before roos, if they had a few in their squad.

They quite regularly call the Pakistan cricket team by the shortened version over here. I never get used to it tbh. 

Didn’t know that Wotherspoon was in the Canada squad

SPFL well represented at this World Cup

Not a Messi fan but I can see him bowing out with a Winners medal

10 hours ago, Deviskan said:

Ah I just glanced at the draw - thought they were at opposite ends.

ScandinavianJambo
9 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

You don't have to because you aren't going to the country.  France captain is though so it's fair he does.  

If I was going on holiday to Afghanistan or heading to work there then yes I would have to respect the law there too. 

Abide by a law and respect it are two different things. The comment by the French captain speaks about respect. On the note of Afghanistan & Talibans I assume you do not respect their laws on suppression of females, including girls & when they stone gay men? 

However, it would be daft not to abide by their laws, considerring the consequences. 

It might sound like semantics, but it really is much more to it and I think you know that. 

Edited by ScandinavianJambo

Naisys Tackle
35 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Abide by a law and respect it are two different things. The comment by the French captain speaks about respect. On the note of Afghanistan & Talibans I assume you do not respect their laws on suppression of females, including girls & when they stone gay men? 

However, it would be daft not to abide by their laws, considerring the consequences. 

It might sound like semantics, but it really is much more to it and I think you know that. 

Abide and being respectful of the country and it's laws are exactly the same if entering the country.

I don't agree or from afar respect the laws of the country, no.  I wouldn't go there either unless paid a lot of money and if I did I would button my mouth and know its not for me to decide what another country decides is law or I would be in big trouble.

Im also not going to let it ruin what has the potential for me to be the best World Cup ever or since the 80s as all the players are at mid season peak instead of done in come the summer.  That's obviously circumstantial because of the way the tournaments been flatulently awarded. 

Come on Argentina. 

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Group forecast acca.

Netherlands - Equador

England - USA

Argentina - Mexico

France - Denmark

Germany - Spain

Roughly 117/1

Spookily this is my bet too. I’ve done it as a dual forecast so the order doesn’t matter. About 25/1 with SkyBet 

This letter was in yesterday's Guardian.

For the first time in my adult life (I am nearly 80), this year I will not engage in any way with the World Cup. The event is nearly always a showcase for the diversity of football played around the world, and a celebration of human difference and unity. This version cannot be that, given the abhorrent context in which it has been manipulated, and the human cost.

There will be 64 games played, perhaps averaging about 100 minutes per game, or roughly 6,400 minutes. Since 2010, including during the construction of the eight stadiums, more than 6,000 migrant workers are reported to have died. That amounts to roughly one migrant worker death for every minute of football played. Every minute will be a funeral lament for a worker who was forced (by circumstance or negligence and brutal greed) to sacrifice their life.

How anyone can participate in such a long funeral (and have fun doing so) is a statement of how inhumane society has become. Football’s showcase has become a perversion in which human life is fodder for the propaganda machines of equally perverse states.
Marcus Cornelius
Dos Hermanas, Spain

12 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

This letter was in yesterday's Guardian.

For the first time in my adult life (I am nearly 80), this year I will not engage in any way with the World Cup. The event is nearly always a showcase for the diversity of football played around the world, and a celebration of human difference and unity. This version cannot be that, given the abhorrent context in which it has been manipulated, and the human cost.

There will be 64 games played, perhaps averaging about 100 minutes per game, or roughly 6,400 minutes. Since 2010, including during the construction of the eight stadiums, more than 6,000 migrant workers are reported to have died. That amounts to roughly one migrant worker death for every minute of football played. Every minute will be a funeral lament for a worker who was forced (by circumstance or negligence and brutal greed) to sacrifice their life.

How anyone can participate in such a long funeral (and have fun doing so) is a statement of how inhumane society has become. Football’s showcase has become a perversion in which human life is fodder for the propaganda machines of equally perverse states.
Marcus Cornelius
Dos Hermanas, Spain

Very well said. This has been an absolute disgrace of a tournament from the get go, built on nothing but corruption & greed

5 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Very well said. This has been an absolute disgrace of a tournament from the get go, built on nothing but corruption & greed

To put that in some kind of context, at the same time workers were dying in Qatar, the Queensferry Crossing was built. I think there was one fatality (RIP) during that project.

37 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Wonder what else the Royal family will ban just before a baws kicked in seriousness...got a bad feeling about this Qatar WC...🫣

Not the most out there prediction, but can't see past the Brazilians for this. I did a predictor which also gave me an Argentina vs Brazil final but after the Copa America defeat in 2021, I reckon the Brazilians would get them back.

25 minutes ago, OBE said:

Wonder what else the Royal family will ban just before a baws kicked in seriousness...got a bad feeling about this Qatar WC...🫣

Suspect they never had any intention of allowing alcohol anyway.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Announcing it 2 days prior to kick-off is sleekit...

30 minutes ago, OBE said:

The whole thing could get messy. 

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The whole thing could get messy. 

I just hope it’s a decent tournament football wise, because the rest of it is just an affront to sport and human decency.

There aren’t that many fixtures of huge anticipation in the groups so the ‘undercard’ games will have to be good or I’ll be watching a lot less games than I usually do. Atmosphere wise it’s going to be a complete dud of a tournament from start to finish.

Edited by JimmyCant

16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Was just saying the same 

Fxxx the SPFL
20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

You can get Bud light 😂 

Absolute Scenes
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Truth. And then if they mimic the Scottish accent, its all banter

BUt if you pull out an Indian accent (for example) you die in Jail

15 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

12/1 on Betfair Exchange

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Truth. And then if they mimic the Scottish accent, its all banter

BUt if you pull out an Indian accent (for example) you die in Jail

Hud yer wheesht!!

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

They'll be absolutely loving it. They'll get much more publicity now imo.

Yep and they'll likely be able to sue as well due to a breach of contract you would imagine. 

What's their next move?

Banning women from the stadiums?

20 lashes for a yellow card, cutting off a hand for a red?

Feckin joke of a situation.

14 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

A75BDBD0-2C90-4C53-A908-3212A88DC487.thumb.jpeg.28b19f1153ce2968e47b2e46edc2962a.jpeg

This is a huge advertising win for Bud , this news will go global, still crap beer though, was forced to drink at the World Cup in 2010, only thing on sale at the stadium’s even in the corporate boxes they had to empty the fridges and stock Bud, still shudder at the memory.

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Offishul Qatar World Cup 2022 Thread***