Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:vrwow: 

Apparently they've had to lift the players of the bus into helicopters it's got so mental :rofl: 4 million on the streets!

Kylian Mbappe turned down Australia star Jason Cummings’ request for World Cup shirt, then Olivier Giroud pretended he didn’t speak English to avoid question

Natasha Everitt
20th December 2022, 12:34 pm

Updated: 20th December 2022, 12:34 pm

Australia striker Jason Cummings has claimed France duo Kylian Mbappe and Olivier Giroud snubbed his request to shirt swap.

The two countries went head-to-head at the 2022 World Cup in Group D, which saw the Socceroos take the lead before the 2018 champions went on to net four to win 4-1.

Mbappe and Giroud weren’t keen on handing their shirts over

GETTY

Both sides advanced to the Round of 16, with France making it all the way to the final, whilst Australia were knocked out by eventual champions Argentina.

But despite winning the group stage tie and not having their World Cup chances dented by the Socceroos, it seems two of Les Bleus’ stars weren’t keen on swapping shirts after the final whistle.

Scottish-born striker Cummings – who came on in the second half – appeared on Australian talk show The Project on Tuesday, and relayed the funny tale of what happened when he hunted out his opponent’s strips.

“After the France game, I actually tried to get Mbappe – forget Giroud, I went for the top boy Mbappe – and he told me to meet him in the change rooms,” Cummings said.

“So I went to the changing room and the kit man was there and I gave him my top and 10 minutes later he came out with my jersey and says ‘Nah, absolutely not, [Mbappe] doesn’t want to swap’.

“So when I was walking back to my changing room and I’ve seen Giroud and I’m walking, as handsome as ever, and I asked him, ‘Giroud, please man, can I get your shirt man? I’m a big fan, can I get your shirt?’”

Cummings waited around after the game to get one of France’s stars’ shirts

GETTY

“And he just walked past me, pretended he never spoke English! And he’s been in the Premier League for 10 years!” he laughed.

“He just walked right past me!”

But luckily Cummings saw the funny side of the former Arsenal and Chelsea star claiming not to speak his lingo.

2 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

Kylian Mbappe turned down Australia star Jason Cummings’ request for World Cup shirt, then Olivier Giroud pretended he didn’t speak English to avoid question

Natasha Everitt
20th December 2022, 12:34 pm

Updated: 20th December 2022, 12:34 pm

Australia striker Jason Cummings has claimed France duo Kylian Mbappe and Olivier Giroud snubbed his request to shirt swap.

The two countries went head-to-head at the 2022 World Cup in Group D, which saw the Socceroos take the lead before the 2018 champions went on to net four to win 4-1.

GETTY

Both sides advanced to the Round of 16, with France making it all the way to the final, whilst Australia were knocked out by eventual champions Argentina.

But despite winning the group stage tie and not having their World Cup chances dented by the Socceroos, it seems two of Les Bleus’ stars weren’t keen on swapping shirts after the final whistle.

Scottish-born striker Cummings – who came on in the second half – appeared on Australian talk show The Project on Tuesday, and relayed the funny tale of what happened when he hunted out his opponent’s strips.

“After the France game, I actually tried to get Mbappe – forget Giroud, I went for the top boy Mbappe – and he told me to meet him in the change rooms,” Cummings said.

“So I went to the changing room and the kit man was there and I gave him my top and 10 minutes later he came out with my jersey and says ‘Nah, absolutely not, [Mbappe] doesn’t want to swap’.

“So when I was walking back to my changing room and I’ve seen Giroud and I’m walking, as handsome as ever, and I asked him, ‘Giroud, please man, can I get your shirt man? I’m a big fan, can I get your shirt?’”

GETTY

“And he just walked past me, pretended he never spoke English! And he’s been in the Premier League for 10 years!” he laughed.

“He just walked right past me!”

But luckily Cummings saw the funny side of the former Arsenal and Chelsea star claiming not to speak his lingo.

Good. He's an absolute ****ing wank.  Same goes for his toe-curlingly cringey message to Messi, as if they were best pals or something. 

Both of them probably thought who the actual **** does this embarrassing lowlife think he is?

He is so full of himself, and it was absolutely lovely to see him get totally blanked by some of the best players in the World.  I am so glad he is nowhere near the Scotland team, and in fact is as far away from it as possible. 

Samuel Camazzola
On 19/12/2022 at 20:06, briever said:

England are a poaching nation - a dual qualified player deemed good enough for England will always choose them.

Haaland isn't a player lost.  A dog born in a stable isn't a horse.

Zaha and Saha AFAIK were told by England they were not needed. Haven't heard of the others.

It was only a few years ago that Garth Crooks started a radio and online crusade for Roy Hodgson to call up James Morrison. 

He was experienced and playing well for one of the less fashionable EPL sides. Could fill a couple of positions in the middle of the park and had an eye for a pass. Only problem for Garth (and the personwho decided to allow him to put his opinion to air/print) was Morrison had 20+ Scotland caps at the time! 😂 

SectionDJambo

Giroud probably speaks better English than Cummings. The way that Cummings speaks, Giroud may have had no idea he was trying to communicate in English, and couldn't understand a word. 

That, and being accosted by a weird looking creature, it's no surprise he got away from him sharply.

That saltbae weirdo being on the pitch, harassing players and getting his hands on the world cup has got my back up. Got to be wondering about FIFA's stewardship with that being allowed to happen. This on top of the world cup being in Qatar in the first place of course.

On a separate note, just came across this on YouTube about Peter Drury's commentary.  This guy really knows how to sum up the emotion of the event, unlike people like Jonathan Pearce, who grinds my gears. 

36 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Giroud trolling Cummings

:rofl:

How do so many superstar players from Top Leagues have him sussed out so quickly after seeing him for the very first time? :lol:

On 21/12/2022 at 17:19, Rods said:

That saltbae weirdo being on the pitch, harassing players and getting his hands on the world cup has got my back up. Got to be wondering about FIFA's stewardship with that being allowed to happen. This on top of the world cup being in Qatar in the first place of course.

Sky reporting that his presence on the pitch was unauthorised and FIFA are investigating.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Sky reporting that his presence on the pitch was unauthorised and FIFA are investigating.

Infantino to blame guaranteed he probably granted him permission to get onto the pitch they were sitting next to each other seemingly at an earlier game. Who’s worse Blatter or Infantino or both are as bad 

23 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Infantino to blame guaranteed he probably granted him permission to get onto the pitch they were sitting next to each other seemingly at an earlier game. Who’s worse Blatter or Infantino or both are as bad 

2 absolute 🔔🔚's

• 2 months later...
Luckies1874
On 02/12/2022 at 16:59, Maroon Sailor said:

Feck 16 groups of 3 at the next World Cup

On 02/12/2022 at 17:00, PortyJambo said:

Yeah, final game in group with 1 team not playing, feck that

On 02/12/2022 at 17:29, Maroon Sailor said:

Addressing concerns related to collusion, CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani commented in April 2022 that FIFA was still considering 12 groups of 4

On 02/12/2022 at 18:03, Sooperstar said:

On the point of groups of 3 or 4 for the next tournament, there has apparently been a move within Fifa over the past week towards going with 4.

On 02/12/2022 at 18:45, PortyJambo said:

I reckon they'd still have to go with a last 32 if they choose 12x4. If you make it 12 group winners and 4 best runners-up for a last 16, you could be left with a lot more "dead rubbers" in the final group games, and the last couple of days have shown you want as many teams still able to qualify as possible in the last group game.

But if you go with 3 group games each then a last 32, 16, 8, etc, that's a lot of games to fit in.

Whatever they choose, I'm sure FIFA will **** it up.

On 02/12/2022 at 19:23, Luckies1874 said:

There are 48 teams 

If they go with 12 groups of 4 there are 72 group matches. If you then do a last 32 you have another 16 games, last 16 another 8 games, last 8 another 4 games, semis another 2 games plus the 3rd/4th and final. That’s 104 games!!!!

They were meant to be doing 16 groups of 3 teams = 48 group games, the same as now, but adding a last 32 round (an extra 16 matches with only 16 teams getting 2 matches) so a total of 80 games overall. 

For context this World Cup has 64. 104 games even with the greed of FIFA, seems ridiculous!! 

On 02/12/2022 at 19:30, Mikey1874 said:

The 3rd place qualification also messes up the simple thing we have this time. 

Groups of 3 mean every game is crucial though I realise the problems with final game. 

Well the greedy *******s have done it! Mental!! They are going for the 12 groups of 4 teams so the World Cup will be 104 matches (40 more than the one a couple of months ago!). 48 teams will play 72 matches to get rid of just 16 teams from the group stages, then a round of 32 etc. Means the Winners will now play 8 matches not 7 to be crowned Champs! Sounds like it will last around 6 weeks.

HeartsandonlyHearts

If only they’d went with 60 teams. Scotland would maybe have had a chance of qualifying. Oh well, roll on 2030. Might get in as hosts.

Luckies1874
10 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

If only they’d went with 60 teams. Scotland would maybe have had a chance of qualifying. Oh well, roll on 2030. Might get in as hosts.

Think it's a Euro 2028 bid now.

HeartsandonlyHearts
6 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Think it's a Euro 2028 bid now.

Damn. Well there goes the World Cup dream out the window. 

World Cup 2026 reverts back to 12 groups of 4 teams.

They had previously planned it to be 16 groups of 3 teams with only group winners going forward to the Round-of-16

48 teams appearing.

12 groups of 4.

Top two from each group plus 8 3rd place teams progress to a round-of-32.

Then the normal Round-of-16, QF, SF, Final.

104 games in total.

Just out of interest how many extra spots will be for European teams? I can imagine with North America having three teams automatically qualifying they might cut back on the spots for their dross teams? Maybe that’s wishful thinking 

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Just out of interest how many extra spots will be for European teams? I can imagine with North America having three teams automatically qualifying they might cut back on the spots for their dross teams? Maybe that’s wishful thinking 

Only 3 extra for Europe, here's a link to see the breakdown. 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/story/4829085/what-the-world-cup-will-look-like-in-2026-48-teams-more-groups-more-venues-more-games

Luckies1874
4 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Wishful thinking. No surprise that a lot of this is about votes.....make some confederations happy, garner votes to retain power! Both Africa and Asia, for instance, are getting 4 more spots each.

Edited by Luckies1874

Luckies1874
11 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

More games.  Why complain?  Summer will be great. 

Just been reading about likely kick off times. Looks like for the first couple of weeks of group games ie before they play the final group games, as always, at the same time, there will be kick of times that stretch from 6pm in the UK (1pm on the East Coast of the US/Canada) until 6am in the UK (10pm on the West Coast of the US/Canada)!!! Going to be wild. 

Watt-Zeefuik

I'll go against the grain and say that for once I think FIFA have done something decent here. For far too many teams, the WC has meant a huge amount of fuss, effort, and expense, a lot of travel to go to three games spread out over some large country (the one positive thing you could say about Qatar I guess), then going home. A bit more excitement and experience for more of the involved players and fans is a fine thing IMO.

Luckies1874
16 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I'll go against the grain and say that for once I think FIFA have done something decent here. For far too many teams, the WC has meant a huge amount of fuss, effort, and expense, a lot of travel to go to three games spread out over some large country (the one positive thing you could say about Qatar I guess), then going home. A bit more excitement and experience for more of the involved players and fans is a fine thing IMO.

What is the closest venue to you, Atlanta? Are they just going to give the selected cities in the 3 countries these extra games or is there talk of adding a couple of those previously eliminated? DC, Orlando, Denver etc.

Looks to be a good change.  More teams, more games, groups of 4 instead of the useless groups of 3 idea.  What's not to like? (apart from it being FIFA)

The only negative is the number of beers that I'll have to go through over the course of the tournament will have to increase to accommodate the extra games. :cheers: 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

What is the closest venue to you, Atlanta? Are they just going to give the selected cities in the 3 countries these extra games or is there talk of adding a couple of those previously eliminated? DC, Orlando, Denver etc.

Atlanta is probably closest but my inlaws are all in or around Philadelphia, so if we make it to a game it will probably be there. Would love it if they put DC back in as well, although they would probably use Fed Ex Field instead of DC United's stadium to get the extra capacity, which is too bad because Fed Ex field kind of sucks being out in the middle of nowhere and all that.

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Atlanta is probably closest but my inlaws are all in or around Philadelphia, so if we make it to a game it will probably be there. Would love it if they put DC back in as well, although they would probably use Fed Ex Field instead of DC United's stadium to get the extra capacity, which is too bad because Fed Ex field kind of sucks being out in the middle of nowhere and all that.

I think that was why they eliminated it in the first place but it looks like the most obvious city to step in! Think it will be an amazing WC and definitely plan on being there for some games. 

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, Luckies1874 said:

I think that was why they eliminated it in the first place but it looks like the most obvious city to step in! Think it will be an amazing WC and definitely plan on being there for some games. 

I just looked and the "Washington" site that was actually under consideration was M&T Stadium in Baltimore, which is far better than Fed Ex and in a much more interesting location on the inner harbor. (Calling M&T stadium a "Washington" site is almost like calling Tynecastle a "Glasgow" site but anyway . . .)

Being biased, I'm a bit disappointed that Charlotte didn't make it further. Way back in the 1990s BofA Stadium was designed to be a good soccer stadium from the get-go, even though there was no immediate chance of it being used as such. It has a much wider field than most American football stadiums and the seats aren't canted in around the ends. Alas, it didn't even make it to the final round of cuts. As mind-numbingly stupid as the fuss is over Charlotte FC (and don't get me started on the "FC" nonsense in the US), they're setting attendance records because the stadium is great for it.

Naisys Tackle
3 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Just been reading about likely kick off times. Looks like for the first couple of weeks of group games ie before they play the final group games, as always, at the same time, there will be kick of times that stretch from 6pm in the UK (1pm on the East Coast of the US/Canada) until 6am in the UK (10pm on the West Coast of the US/Canada)!!! Going to be wild. 

Annual Leave most definitely. :lol: 

Luckies1874
13 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Annual Leave most definitely. :lol: 

Sleep possible between the hours of 8am and 6pm!