Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Got to imagine this had a bit to do with Toney's omission from the World Cup squad......

I would say everything to do with his omission.

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Got to imagine this had a bit to do with Toney's omission from the World Cup squad......

I bet it never.

:av-1001:

8 hours ago, studo said:

The hypocrisy of these footballers needs called out. Particularly the England team. 

Wearing rainbow armbands, speaking out against Qatari human rights issues, then scuttle off back to your Middle Eastern backed employer to play in a league full of teams owned and sponsored by these companies, so you can compete to play in the Champions League which yet again backed by  companies from countries with human rights issues. But as long as theyre getting paid enough....

Either they're ok with this influence in football or they're not, but dont pretend to have a stance just for the WC.

Fair comment. 

Life can be complicated and I think you should just get on with it and manage what you are responsible for. So if you play football or report on it then go to Qatar. 

But no one has stayed at home. No symbols for the women imprisoned for being raped. Just some pro LGBT+ symbols. Very lame. 

I'm looking forward to the actual football, instead of the utter circus of hypocrisy that surrounds it.

As for a winner, I would absolutely love to see Argentina win it again, but my suspicion is it will be either France or Brazil.

Naisys Tackle
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

England will do better than is expected of them, in my opinion.

Probably.  Because after getting absolutely ridden in the nations league I expect them to do very little.

My cheeky early bet of the tournament now that I've selected my winner is Denmark to win Group D 3/1.   That will open the tournament up big time when France finish second. 

The outcry about Alcohol, says more about us than Qatar. I'd say we have the problem, if you can't watch football or do anything without being bevvied.

The USA and Mexico have the next world cup. Will we focus on there faults. Gun mad, drug mad, murder mad, Crazy mad countries unfit to hold any sporting events. The cops like to kill people without a second thought. I'm sure Canada has it's faults anaw. 

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Not with that goalkeeper.

They have centre backs that are nearly as bad as ours.  Once again they have an easy group and have either Netherlands or Senegal - they should make the QF - but thats it.

2 hours ago, briever said:

They have centre backs that are nearly as bad as ours.  Once again they have an easy group and have either Netherlands or Senegal - they should make the QF - but thats it.

Going by the FIFA rankings, England's group is the "Group of Death" with all 4 teams being ranked inside the top 20 in the world.  I can't see it myself and just shows how bad teh ranking system is.

19 minutes ago, TurboT said:

Going by the FIFA rankings, England's group is the "Group of Death" with all 4 teams being ranked inside the top 20 in the world.  I can't see it myself and just shows how bad teh ranking system is.

USA and Wales are potentially very tricky. But agree. I actually think the groups are all pretty well matched. Potential groups of death if Japan, Australia, Ghana, Serbia / Switzerland produce. 

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

What is the expectation? Given their last 2 tournaments have seen a semi-final then a final is a last 4 spot the minimum requirement? They should easily get out a very mediocre group (despite what rankings suggest) but after that who knows. We don’t know what the conditions are going to do to games and teams yet. I don’t think they are good enough to string 3 or 4 wins against the elite together but then I’m also far from convinced there are many (any) great international sides currently so it looks wide open. 

Malinga the Swinga

Looking forward with interest to Iran's games. Their football teams, like other Iranian sports teams, have chosen not to celebrate goals, not to celebrate victories and probably most importantly have stopped singing their national anthem as part of anti government protests over death of young woman earlier this year.

Games broadcast mute by state TV and behind closed doors to ensure no protests heard.

Considering their opponents, pressure will be ramped up on players as the government won't want to lose to US or UK teams, but players not cooperating with rulers.

Fxxx the SPFL
15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hopefully there's a Wullie Johnston or a rowing boat in their camp and they lose a few players

12 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Boyle injury means he's potentially out of the world cup, aussie's have flown out a replacement, shame:greggy:

Regardless of him being a hibee fud - it is a shame, it's the WC.

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

England will get to the quarters at absolute best…if they don’t win their group, then they’re out to the Netherlands.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Boyle injury means he's potentially out of the world cup, aussie's have flown out a replacement diver.  :greggy:

FTFY

👍

14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Not with that goalkeeper.

Pickford used to be a definite weakpoint but, he impressed me a fair bit towards the end of last season. Not sure what he's been like so far this season.

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

USA and Wales are potentially very tricky. But agree. I actually think the groups are all pretty well matched. Potential groups of death if Japan, Australia, Ghana, Serbia / Switzerland produce. 

No idea what Iran are like now but, they've produced decent performances at the last two World Cups. They were very unlucky to lose to an injury time wonder strike from Messi last time round.

5 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

What is the expectation? Given their last 2 tournaments have seen a semi-final then a final is a last 4 spot the minimum requirement? They should easily get out a very mediocre group (despite what rankings suggest) but after that who knows. We don’t know what the conditions are going to do to games and teams yet. I don’t think they are good enough to string 3 or 4 wins against the elite together but then I’m also far from convinced there are many (any) great international sides currently so it looks wide open. 

If you take the long view, England are a quarter-final team unless they are playing all (or nearly all) their games at Wembley, as happened in 1966, 1996 and 2020 (really 2021). They've only made the SF of anything twice without home advantage - in Italy in 1990 and Russia in 2018.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I am fairly sure I'm right.

EDIT: went and checked. Technically they did reach the SF in Euro 1968, but only four teams went to the finals, and the QFs were played as part of the qualifying on a home and away basis. Other than that the statement is correct.

Edited by Doc Rob

20 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

If you take the long view, England are a quarter-final team unless they are playing all (or nearly all) their games at Wembley, as happened in 1966, 1996 and 2020 (really 2021). They've only made the SF of anything twice without home advantage - in Italy in 1990 and Russia in 2018.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I am fairly sure I'm right.

EDIT: went and checked. Technically they did reach the SF in Euro 1968, but only four teams went to the finals, and the QFs were played as part of the qualifying on a home and away basis. Other than that the statement is correct.

Can't edit the post again for some reason, but in 1966 and 1996 England played every game at Wembley. In 2021 they played 6 games at Wembley and 1 in Rome (their QF v Ukraine - Wembley wasn't allocated a QF).

ScandinavianJambo
On 16/11/2022 at 17:44, Robbies Tackle said:

If you enter another country then you should be expected to respect the laws of that country otherwise don't go. 

I'm not going anywhere and will not respect oppressive laws or customs. What's next let's show Afganistan's Taliban's respect shall we!?

Group B is going to be fun for drama. NGL, I think northerly European teams are going to struggle mightily with the heat, and several of the bigger South American teams won't be fully used to it either. The Italians will probably be the least impacted but even so.

I don't have a huge amount of love for this USA team but I'll give it the half-hearted heave-ho. We're better than we've been for a bit but I don't even think we're as good as the old Donovan/Dempsey teams, even though Pulisic is pretty unarguably our best player ever. I'd love to see an African team like Senegal or a Colombia or Mexico have a deep run and maybe even hoist the cup.

And, of course, wishing the Aussies all the best!

9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Group B is going to be fun for drama. NGL, I think northerly European teams are going to struggle mightily with the heat, and several of the bigger South American teams won't be fully used to it either. The Italians will probably be the least impacted but even so.

I don't have a huge amount of love for this USA team but I'll give it the half-hearted heave-ho. We're better than we've been for a bit but I don't even think we're as good as the old Donovan/Dempsey teams, even though Pulisic is pretty unarguably our best player ever. I'd love to see an African team like Senegal or a Colombia or Mexico have a deep run and maybe even hoist the cup.

The Italians refs?

You know Italy didn't make it?

17 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Nightmare for Senegal. Difficult to see an African team break the duck of the last 4 now

That's rubbish news - was looking forward to seeing him.

3 minutes ago, briever said:

That's rubbish news - was looking forward to seeing him.

Yep, felt like they could have been a real challenger from the group just below the usual suspects but got to imagine that’s a crushing blow given how much he brings to any side. 

Ok, soothsayers, who do you think will be in the final of this year's cup and who do you think will do best out of the lesser-fancied teams?

For me, it will be France vs Brazil, with Croatia as the best-performing underdog.

I almost miss our Uruguay-based poster who would usually take advantage of a competition like this to post in one fell swoop, before the thing has even started, his predictions of every single game leading up to the final. ;)

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ok, soothsayers, who do you think will be in the final of this year's cup and who do you think will do best out of the lesser-fancied teams?

For me, it will be France vs Brazil, with Croatia as the best-performing underdog.

I almost miss our Uruguay-based poster who would usually take advantage of a competition like this to post in one fell swoop, before the thing has even started, his predictions of every single game leading up to the final. ;)

Looking at the draw it could be a Arg v Brazil.

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Brazil v Argentina 

Subject to the usual madness of the draw 

50 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Neither Italy or Colombia qualified. 

43 minutes ago, briever said:

The Italians refs?

You know Italy didn't make it?

FFS I did but it went right out of my head. I was looking at the FIFA rankings list without enough coffee, I suppose.

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Offishul Qatar World Cup 2022 Thread***