• Mikey1874

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naisys Tackle
12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Everything is okay for migrant workers. They got to play with England.

Very decent by the English.   Not everything has to have a negative slant. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not sure what that has to do with the English national team going out their way to do a very good thing? 

The migrant conditions have been highlighted for the past 10 years.  Why is everyone acting so shocked now?   The world cup should have been scrapped going there years back even before they decided to move the Finals to the winter.   

Sorry if you were unaware of this for the past decade though and I'm unsure why the migrant workers, based on reports for years would continue to flood into the country regardless of how desperate they are for work and money. 

Qatar is supposed to be minted as feck.

They're had twelve years to prepare.

And it all looks like it's been thrown together at the last minute by doing a trolley dash around B&Q.

Mind boggling.

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Not sure what that has to do with the English national team going out their way to do a very good thing? 

The migrant conditions have been highlighted for the past 10 years.  Why is everyone acting so shocked now?   The world cup should have been scrapped going there years back even before they decided to move the Finals to the winter.   

Sorry if you were unaware of this for the past decade though and I'm unsure why the migrant workers, based on reports for years would continue to flood into the country regardless of how desperate they are for work and money. 

Great advert for Qatar. All is well for the migrant workers. 

36 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Everything is okay for migrant workers. They got to play with England.

I'm pretty sure that they'd prefer a decent wage and control over their own passports.

It may very well be a 'decent thing done', but I'm hoping that the £100K+ P/W England squad aren't just being used for 'sportswashing'.

Screenshot_20221119-144549_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221119-144510_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Wee Mikey

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Great advert for Qatar. All is well for the migrant workers. 

Don't think that was the intentions of the English National team.   Everyone knows all is not well - that's the exact reason England have invited them in. 

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Chances of a football related World Cup thread and one to express distain at Fifa and the host nation?

You can't separate the two, as much as you'd like to.

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Don't think that was the intentions of the English National team.   Everyone knows all is not well - that's the exact reason England have invited them in. 

... and you know this? How? You must really be ITK. 👍

Just now, redjambo said:

I thought I liked Infantino. His rant was extraordinary though. Talk about not having your finger on the pulse...

His finger is well and truly 'on the purse'. 🙃

30 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Very decent by the English.   Not everything has to have a negative slant. 

Yes, I quite agree, Robbie.

Unfortunately though, no matter what England do, they get pilloried by some people.

Just now, redjambo said:

I thought I liked Infantino. His rant was extraordinary though. Talk about not having your finger on the pulse...

i wonder if he has asked his government (switzerland) to apologise for the next 3000 years about them hiding looted nazi treasure during WW2

Just now, Morgan said:

Unfortunately though, no matter what England do, they get pilloried by some people.

USA did the same thing 3 days previous

8 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

It's great publicity for Qatar.

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Definitely mate.  Personally seen it as a very decent humanly act by the group to make the day of other humans who have obviously been dealt with a very shockingly poor hand by the Qataris.   Some of the replies to this so early even on here prove your point too. 

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

How?  The English wouldn't be needing to do such gestures to the workers if they got treated better.  It's actually acknowledging how poorly they have been treated by the Qataris. 

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Or is it?

If the Qataris had any sense of humour then they could've easily promoted 'welcoming groups' as part & parcel of the event.

Just own it!!!

By all means, make some noise and a 'party atmosphere', but to mask it as some sort of spontaneous love for England (and other countries) is beyond parody.

I cannot for even a nano-second believe that there are hunners o' migrant workers cheering on Engerland.

If those obviously PR-manufactured vids were embedded in an Armando Iannucci satirical promo, then they seriously couldn't have done better!

Edited by Wee Mikey

The question is, could the Qataris have something on FIFA that's "encouraging" FIFA to act the way they're doing? The alcohol decision, for example. The sale of alcohol in the stadiums will have been written in black and white for a long time now, part of the contract details. If the Qataris had only recently said to FIFA "We don't want alcohol on sale in the stadiums", FIFA could easily have turned round and said "Sorry, but it's in the contract". But they didn't, they turned tail and vociferously defended that decision, 2 days before the competition started. FIFA have been rabid, almost too rabid, in their defence of Qatar and attempts to prevent the teams, media and fans from highlighting Qatar's human rights issues. Why? They could have just got on with letting the competition play out, keep to all the contracts with a little judicious nudging here and there to keep things on track, keep their heads down and toast the end of the competition with some glasses of fizz and decide not to do anything like that again (although Infantino's comments on North Korea weren't too heartening in that respect).

Some might say that perhaps they're simply worried that the FIFA and World Cup brands could suffer greatly if things go pear-shaped in Qatar, and that they are just trying to protect those brands, but you get the feeling that that with the way they're reacting to situations they seem to be trying to protect more than that. It almost feels like "over-appeasement", which might lead some to consider that there's an element of leverage at play. Anyway, there's always the chance that we'll find out in the follow-up documentary on FIFA in ten years time.

9 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Or is it?

If the Qataris had any sense of humour then they could've easily promoted 'welcoming groups' as part & parcel of the event.

Just own it!!!

By all means, make some noise and a 'party atmosphere', but to mask it as some sort of spontaneous love for England (and other countries) is beyond parody.

I cannot for even a nano-second believe that there are hunners o' migrant workers cheering on Engerland.

If those obviously PR-manufactured vids were embedded in an Armando Iannucci satirical promo, then they seriously couldn't have done better!

That's exactly it.

Paying people to get the party started and whip up the crowd is 100% fine. Just admit that's what's happened. Nobody would care.

But they chose to lie about it. Then accuse anyone pointing out the obvious lie of being a racist.

They can't help but lie, cheat, scam, gaslight and attempt a cover-up. Everything they do only makes the situation worse.

Hopefully, after Engerlund's famous defeats v Iran, USA, and Wales, there'll be a party atmosphere back in the camp in the desert.

They can whoop it up on £12 a pint Bud Zero pi*h water and trash their over-priced tents.

Get THIS oan the ghetto-blaster and ...

PARTY!!! 🤣

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Really? When exactly did we become this bastion of freedom. What happened Gays in 1966? Women's rights? How many top jobs are women in? When did Health and safety get sorted here? What do we do with immigrants? What happens to black people here and in America? Let's no talk about religion either with how we treated Catholics. Northern Ireland? When will they come into the 21st century? 

You can't judge others by what we have finally changed, kicking and screaming. It's the same with the environment, we've used all the pollutants to built our society, but others should stop. Feck off.

Get ****ed. Whataboutry much? 

I am 60 on my next birthday and from North Wales originally.

Wales have never qualified for a World Cup in my lifetime.

I’m gonna enjoy it regardless of results but if we could get out of the group I’d be delighted.

My daughter lives in Canada so will be rooting for them too and, of course the Jambo riddled socceroos 😀

That thing you do
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Qatar is supposed to be minted as feck.

They're had twelve years to prepare.

And it all looks like it's been thrown together at the last minute by doing a trolley dash around B&Q.

Mind boggling.

Its also greedy and corrupt as feck too.

I spent two years there. Horrible little place.

I have family in Australia, so want to see them do well. I'd like Wales to do well because I lived there. I'll be supporting the minnows, mostly. Always good to see teams like Croatia do well. As for England, I'll wait and see. If they're modest, don't gripe about shite or build themselves up too much, play good football, and the team, fans and media comport themselves well, then I might want to see them advance.

If anyone is interested in the football...there's a cracking BBC documentary 'How to win the world cup' on iPlayer, and on BBC tomorrow evening.

Looks at the planning and background to the Spanish, German and French victories.

Really good high quality film.

21 minutes ago, stan said:

If anyone is interested in the football...there's a cracking BBC documentary 'How to win the world cup' on iPlayer, and on BBC tomorrow evening.

Looks at the planning and background to the Spanish, German and French victories.

Really good high quality film.

A link:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0d7kwgw

Just seeing this press conference from Infantino.  Quite astonishing and insulting and the very fact that this happened on the eve of the World Cup probably sums up all the issues around the award of the tournament in the first place.

I'm conflicted. I love the world cup and will watch it but I'll feel compromised. 

The biggest thing for me is that FIFA awarded that tournament and followed through all the way with no consideration of the human cost that would be needed to stage the event.

By the sounds of it given the changes at FIFA since the award in terms of voting structure and HR considerations then this type of thing won't happen again.

But it demonstrated the power of money that its come all the way despite the events of the last 12 years. They could have backed out but they chose not to. 

Having said all that I know I'll watch it like millions of others and I know that has an element of hypocrisy. 

Honestly the hypocrisy around this World Cup is beyond belief, all this sudden care for migrant workers, every man and they're dog taking the moral high ground..... meanwhile point out the clothes they are wearing, the fabrics in their homes, the take-away coffee they are drinking.....ah but but but but....

And if that doesn't make sense to you then for **** sake waken up and start doing a little research.

10 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Honestly the hypocrisy around this World Cup is beyond belief, all this sudden care for migrant workers, every man and they're dog taking the moral high ground..... meanwhile point out the clothes they are wearing, the fabrics in their homes, the take-away coffee they are drinking.....ah but but but but....

And if that doesn't make sense to you then for **** sake waken up and start doing a little research.

I find there is not anything more nauseating than Western hypocrisy.

Indeed.  Someone did something wrong soemwhere, therefore we must never be critical of anyone, even if they have no respect for people and slaughter migrant workers by the thousand.

FFS, lads, would yiz ever cop yourselves on and start living in the real world?  :rofl: 

1 minute ago, Cade said:

"Ah ken whit its like tae be criticized coz ah hud red hair as a wean likesay"

:vrface:

And earning 2 mill a year swanning about at FIFA trying to imply that he identifies with migrant workers.

Shooter McGavin

Fifa president going full David Brent…

:facepalm:

Anyway,

Argentina to win, one of our Aussie lads to score and England to get battered on and off the pitch.

Too much to ask? 

On 16/11/2022 at 12:37, Luckies1874 said:

This World Cup is bizarre! 

See exhibit A :rofl:

this is well past a joke. whole charade is rotten from head to tail.

CanadianJamTart

Haha wait… just catching up on this. Very little coverage of anything World Cup in Canada right now. What on earth is happening?! Are they just faking fans being there?