*** Hearts Winter Transfer Thread - Henderson and Connor Smith loaned out***

dazajmbo

8 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I might be wrong but didn't Stewart cause everyone to have piss in their pants when Gordon missed a game but ended up coming in and doing an excellent job? Making a fair few of us look like dicks. (nothing new I know)

If he isn't breaking the bank and is happy to stay as our back up while Gordon is out for a long time then I see no harm in keeping him around.

Celtic

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

• Batistuta87

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

This for me. With Beni coming back and the loss of Halkett the squad is screaming 4-3-3:

Smith Sibbick Rowles Kingsley 

Snodgrass Beni Devlin

Gino Shankland McKay 

Swap Cochrane and Atkinson in at full back when we want to be more attacking. Forest, Humphrys and the new lad to compete for the front 3 positions. Very harsh on Halliday though...

Anyone know how able Cochrane is to play on the right (in place of Smith in the formation above)?

I'd also have Humphrys pushing Gino and McKay hard; hopefully the competition keeps them all at the top of their game.  In a similar vein, guys like Forrest, Grant, Atkinson, Kio have to give it their all in training and when called upon to get into the team. 

Considering our injuries, and hopefully 2-3 signings to come in January, it's a great position to be in.

36 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What's Conor Shaughnessy up to these days? 

Probably in the English non leagues where he belongs. Rotten defender with a heart the size of a pea

Edited by 19/05/2012

21 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

Out of that list, we should get Snodgrass and Ginnelly extended. The others seem surplus to requirements. 

I think we'll keep 'cheesy' too, just for the bants.

8 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Yes, he did (can't remember against who, it was his last appearance I think) however the times prior to that he induced an absolute fear; probably one of the few things to solidify opinion on Kickback in the last couple of years!

I'm hoping one of the younger keepers is viewed as sufficient 3rd GK next season.

We don't want to spend money we don't need to. So if he's happy, settled, gets on well with the squad and understands his role at the club. It will probably work out cheaper to keep him than to go through the signing process bringing in someone else who might end up costing more in wages, is not satisfied with his role, doesn't get on with the squad etc.

Better time and focus spent on signing characters like Paterson. 

We need those goal celebrations back at Tynecastle :biggrin2:

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

Because as others have said, Devlin is too limited a player for a bigger team to pay £4m. He's great for our level but doesn't have the football ability/brain to go with his tenacity. Calvin Ramsay has the potential to go far in the game and Scott McKenna is a big defender well suited to English football. There's no comparison there. I do feel that Scottish teams always undervalue our players but with Devlin there's no way he's going for those sorts of figures. Martin Boyle was £2.5m, so I don't see how Devlin could be worth almost double that.

Because we’re not in a position where we have to sell. I dunno how people don’t get that. Do you think Harry Maguire was worth £80m when he left Leicester? Is Declan Rice worth £150m now? Of course not. 

Liverpool paid £6m for potential. It’s entirely reasonable for us to want £4m for a player who has bags of energy and is still only 24. I’d really love to know why some people are so desperate to short change the club when it comes to things like this. 

And Scott McKenna is an absolute huddy.

4 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Because we’re not in a position where we have to sell. I dunno how people don’t get that. Do you think Harry Maguire was worth £80m when he left Leicester? Is Declan Rice worth £150m now? Of course not. 

Liverpool paid £6m for potential. It’s entirely reasonable for us to want £4m for a player who has bags of energy and is still only 24. I’d really love to know why some people are so desperate to short change the club when it comes to things like this. 

No one is saying we have to sell?  No one is saying we should sell him for £500k?  No one is saying we shouldn't want £4m for him? Just recognising that no one will be interested in paying anywhere near the figures you're quoting.

Look we all hate Hibs but most of us can still read and understand information relating to them and their ex players without resorting to fantasy.

The facts are Doig has made 9 appearances out of 15 matches in Serie A (5 starts, 4 as sub). He’s been playing mostly left wing and has scored two goals. He missed three weeks with an injury. He’s being chased by a number of bigger Serie A clubs and will likely end up at one either now or in the summer. Sorry if that causes upset but it’s true.

1 minute ago, Waterboy said:

No one is saying we have to sell?  No one is saying we should sell him for £500k?  No one is saying we shouldn't want £4m for him? Just recognising that no one will be interested in paying anywhere near the figures you're quoting.

Correct. The narrative has changed to we don't need to sell when nobody is saying we do. The figures some are quoting for Devlin are a total nonsense. McKenna is far from a huddy but regardless of opinions on him there was a willing buyer at that price. Nobody is paying 4-5 million for Devlin to play at a higher level than Hearts, at this time. He can't pass the ball 10 yards a lot of the time so massive improvement would be required to go along with the qualities he does possess. He is doing a good job for us, has deservedly commanded a regular starting spot and has impacted moments in a number of matches but there is a hell of a lot to work on as well. 

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

That’s fine, I’m in no rush to sell him. I’m just not desperate to undermine the club when it comes to player valuations either. We should be looking for top dollar for every one of our players from now on. That’s how we improve. 

10 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Hearts and Reading trying to take Garang Kuol on loan from Newcastle.

Is this being reported anywhere? Never seen him play but what I have read is that he's well thought of at Newcastle. 

6 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

I'm afraid you need more than bags of energy to cut in in the EPL. Like I said, Devlin has limited footballing ability so it's unlikely we could ask for big fees like the £4m plus that you mentioned. 

I get your point that we undersell in Scotland, but in Devlin's case he's simply not worth that and I highly doubt another team would be willing to part with that sort of money for him. It's just being realistic

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Correct. The narrative has changed to we don't need to sell when nobody is saying we do. The figures some are quoting for Devlin are a total nonsense. McKenna is far from a huddy but regardless of opinions on him there was a willing buyer at that price. Nobody is paying 4-5 million for Devlin to play at a higher level than Hearts, at this time. He can't pass the ball 10 yards a lot of the time so massive improvement would be required to go along with the qualities he does possess. He is doing a good job for us, has deservedly commanded a regular starting spot and has impacted moments in a number of matches but there is a hell of a lot to work on as well. 

What absolute fantasist nonsense that is :laugh: I’m gonna check out of this thread for a bit, because some folk are clearly on one today. 

Skip to 3:05 to see Super Scott McKenna in action. Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Is this being reported anywhere? Never seen him play but what I have read is that he's well thought of at Newcastle. 

Journalist reporting it here and also in Newcastle Chronicle paper.

The Hogfather
6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I'm afraid you need more than bags of energy to cut in in the EPL. Like I said, Devlin has limited footballing ability so it's unlikely we could ask for big fees like the £4m plus that you mentioned. 

I get your point that we undersell in Scotland, but in Devlin's case he's simply not worth that and I highly doubt another team would be willing to part with that sort of money for him. It's just being realistic

£4m is a big fee in Scotland. Not so much in Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Poland, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Austria or the basket case of England. 

1 minute ago, The Hogfather said:

£4m is a big fee in Scotland. Not so much in Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Poland, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Austria or the basket case of England. 

Exactly.

Clubs in the Championship have signed players from league 2 for £7m in the past. 

There’s a reason scouts get paid to do the job they do and it’s because they know what to look for and see things that us normal fans maybe miss. Looking at both McKenna and Doig in the SPL, especially against us, you’d be forgiven for thinking they were overpriced when they moved. McKenna has been superb since his move and won their player of the year. The few times I’ve seen McKenna at Forest he’s looked a completely different animal to what he did at Aberdeen. Doig seems to be doing the same in Italy and after only 9 appearances is in high demand.

1 minute ago, Snodders said:

There’s a reason scouts get paid to do the job they do and it’s because they know what to look for and see things that us normal fans maybe miss. Looking at both McKenna and Doig in the SPL, especially against us, you’d be forgiven for thinking they were overpriced when they moved. McKenna has been superb since his move and won their player of the year. The few times I’ve seen McKenna at Forest he’s looked a completely different animal to what he did at Aberdeen. Doig seems to be doing the same in Italy and after only 9 appearances is in high demand.

using the same reasoning scouts could see things in devlin that you do not

Just now, milky_26 said:

using the same reasoning scouts could see things in devlin that you do not

Absolutely (although less likely when it’s a player on your own team who you watch every match). Hope they do and someone comes in with £5 million. 👍🏻

11 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Cheers. I suppose Newcastle themselves will have a big say where he goes before the player probably. Would be good if we can persuade them that Hearts is the right place for him to develop. 

17 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

What absolute fantasist nonsense that is :laugh: I’m gonna check out of this thread for a bit, because some folk are clearly on one today. 

Skip to 3:05 to see Super Scott McKenna in action. Cheers. 

Whilst I admire your loyalty and your ability to constantly wear maroon tinted specs, posting a video of a defender making a mistake means absolutely nothing. I could do that for any world class defender on the planet!  Your narrative keeps changing as you can't argue other's points. The fact is McKenna was sold for the money he was as there was a buyer at that price and he's done very well at Forest subsequently. Nobody is paying 4-5 million for Devlin at this point in time, he is worth nowhere near that figure regardless of how fees in Scotland are undermined. 

12 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Exactly.

Clubs in the Championship have signed players from league 2 for £7m in the past. 

What players? Curious

16 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

You'd like to think our 3 socceroos will bend his ear to a stint up here 😉 

Reading is a shithole after all 

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Whilst I admire your loyalty and your ability to constantly wear maroon tinted specs, posting a video of a defender making a mistake means absolutely nothing. I could do that for any world class defender on the planet!  Your narrative keeps changing as you can't argue other's points. The fact is McKenna was sold for the money he was as there was a buyer at that price and he's done very well at Forest subsequently. Nobody is paying 4-5 million for Devlin at this point in time, he is worth nowhere near that figure regardless of how fees in Scotland are undermined. 

Nothing to do with maroon tinted specs mate, just not making things up to devalue a Hearts player. Cheers. 

Just now, Spookie said:

You'd like to think our 3 socceroos will bend his ear to a stint up here 😉 

Reading is a shithole after all 

Is he the guy who came on late against Argentina and had a shot saved?

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

What players? Curious

Ollie Watkins for example went to Brentford for £7m plus extras from Exeter City. 

That keeper Spurs signed Gazzaniga joined Southampton from a League 2 team for about £5m as well couple years ago.

16 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Those leagues are all at vastly different levels to one another. What's the connection? Rangers and Celtic are selling players for £20m+ these days. Even Aberdeen getting £5m+ for Calvin Ramsay...

Kuol is an interesting one, when Natty came on against Hibs he looked a nervous wreck and ran about clueless like someone who was way out his depth.

This is my memory of Kuol when he came on for Australia in the WC, maybe it was partly because I was raging it wasn’t Devlin but watched him and he looked lost.

Stunned Newcastle signed him but must be something there. Guess the likes of Devlin or Royce would likely have a word in Robbie’s ear if he was gash or indeed worth pursuing?

23 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

£4m isn't a big fee in those countries? What planet you on? 

7 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Nothing to do with maroon tinted specs mate, just not making things up to devalue a Hearts player. Cheers. 

Absolutely need to take those tinted specs off mate, your head is in the clouds. If anything you're grossly overvaluing him

Edited by Chimp

The Treasurer
12 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Cheers. I suppose Newcastle themselves will have a big say where he goes before the player probably. Would be good if we can persuade them that Hearts is the right place for him to develop. 

Sounds like it would be one of those loans deals that the parent club would dictate when and where he plays, regardless of what the loaning club requires.

Not keen on that type of deal, can cause resentment among the squad

Kuol has the potential to be the best ever Australian footballer.  Bags of potential.  He is very fast, skilful and confident.

He might not make it, but at the moment he looks like he will be the next big thing.

Thunder and Lightning
3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

£4m isn't a big fee in those countries? What planet you on? 

Absolutely need to take those tinted specs off mate, your head is in the clouds. If anything your grossly overvaluing him

Sadly you are correct, £5m, total fantasy.

Did he have a magnificent world cup that we missed or something?

He runs about a lot, has great passion but gets silly bookings and his style means that nobody (including his teammates nor himself) have any idea what he is going to do next. :) 

kingantti1874

Some utter shite being sprayed about devlin again I see.  He mis places a couple of passes and suddenly he can’t pass the ball 10 yards. 😂

despite the fact that this season he has put in some ridiculously good performances! All forgotten becuase of a misplaced pass or 2.

No matter how many times ultimately folk are made to look completely clueless JKB needs a target. 

You’d think that the shorter distance from Newcastle to Edinburgh would be a factor in their decision, as well as our Australian colony.

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Some utter shite being sprayed about devlin again I see.  He mis places a couple of passes and suddenly he can’t pass the ball 10 yards. 😂

despite the fact that this season he has put in some ridiculously good performances! All forgotten becuase of a misplaced pass or 2.

No matter how many times ultimately folk are made to look completely clueless JKB needs a target. 

Total overreaction and inaccurate response to what has been said about Devlin. Almost everybody values his contribution to the side, his infectious enthusiasm, determination, fact he never hides etc. He brings plenty to the table and has become a firm favourite. He has also shown limitations and that there is huge room for improvement in the technical side of the game. Therefore people are rightly suggesting figures of 4-5 million as fanciful, at best. It is possible to be both a fan of what he brings to our team and put the brakes on some wildly optimistic hyperbole about his worth financially. He would have to massively improve on the ball, from what we've seen so far, to be sold for millions of pounds. 

Edited by Luckies1874

11 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Kuol is an interesting one, when Natty came on against Hibs he looked a nervous wreck and ran about clueless like someone who was playing out of position.

13 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

A bit harsh I think the alteration is probably fairer.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

3 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Devlin the new boo boy since we're playing well and winning? :lol:

What the **** happened to talking UP your players ffs.

Hardly a boo boy. I love him to bits and appreciate his strengths and I’d expect every Hearts fan does. It’s possible to do that but also realise he is limited in areas and as a result we’re likely to be the highest level he plays at.

The Hogfather
5 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Ollie Watkins for example went to Brentford for £7m plus extras from Exeter City. 

That keeper Spurs signed Gazzaniga joined Southampton from a League 2 team for about £5m as well couple years ago.

Fabian Delph went to Villa for about £8m as well. That was League 1 though. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Those leagues are all at vastly different levels to one another. What's the connection? Rangers and Celtic are selling players for £20m+ these days. Even Aberdeen getting £5m+ for Calvin Ramsay...

They are. £5m+ for a player who was a starter for an Aberdeen team who finished 10th last year was a great piece of business for them, but we obviously shouldn’t be holding out for anything near that on our players because some folk on Kickback would rather we just took whatever we could get. 

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Total overreaction and inaccurate response to what has been said about Devlin. Almost everybody values his contribution to the side, his infectious enthusiasm, determination, fact he never hides etc. He brings plenty to the table and has become a firm favourite. He has also shown limitations and that there is huge room for improvement in the technical side of the game. Therefore people are rightly suggesting figures of 4-5 million as fanciful, at best. It is possible to be both a fan of what he brings to our team and put the brakes on some wildly optimistic hyperbole about his worth financially. He would have to massively improve on the ball, from what we've seen so far, to be sold for millions of pounds. 

:spoton:

The Hogfather
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Six assists this season, but he can’t pass the ball 10 yards. 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It's not so much he's being made a target, if you look at the previous posts it's to do with his lack of certain qualities that mean he isn't worth the ridiculous amounts people have mentioned. That's the only reason it's popped up.

Its ok to be able to see he isn't technically that gifted a footballer whilst also able to say that he's excellent for us at this level with what he does bring to the team with his energy and tenacity. None of that is forgotten and you'll probably find that most who have pointed out some flaws still rate him highly and understand what how effective he is here.

56 minutes ago, Snodders said:

Look we all hate Hibs but most of us can still read and understand information relating to them and their ex players without resorting to fantasy.

The facts are Doig has made 9 appearances out of 15 matches in Serie A (5 starts, 4 as sub). He’s been playing mostly left wing and has scored two goals. He missed three weeks with an injury. He’s being chased by a number of bigger Serie A clubs and will likely end up at one either now or in the summer. Sorry if that causes upset but it’s true.

Hellas Verona are bottom of the league on 5 points. You are believing what you read in the sun and record. The same was said about Liam Henderson when he moved to Italy. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to *** Hearts Winter Transfer Thread - Henderson and Connor Smith loaned out***