Yet another school shooting in America

chubby1973

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

USA yes, Texas no, but Alabama and Mississippi visited as well as Virginia and West Virginia, and Washington DC.

I have been to most of those states but Texas is exceptional. Many seem to be more Texan than American. My old boss described addressing an oil and gas conference in Houston a day or two after Kennedy's assassination. He thought it appropriate to express a few words of sympathy. The reaction from many was on the lines "Commie *******  got what he deserved".

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• JudyJudyJudy

• Jambo-Jimbo

• trotter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maple Leaf
20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have been to most of those states but Texas is exceptional. Many seem to be more Texan than American. My old boss described addressing an oil and gas conference in Houston a day or two after Kennedy's assassination. He thought it appropriate to express a few words of sympathy. The reaction from many was on the lines "Commie *******  got what he deserved".

I think you're right.

Texas was once part of Mexico, then it became independent, then it became part of the US, then it tried to break from the US as part of the Confederacy, then it became part of the US again.  I've been in Texas several times, and there's definitely a fair bit of ambivalence about their place in the Union.

Dennis Denuto
16 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The reaction to these events is always the same. On one side ban guns or at least strictly control them. On the other we need more guns to protect us. Neither is remotely feasible as a solution or even amelioration.. 

With more guns and a lot more ammunition than there are people in the USA banning even if it could be enforced and survive the inevitable Constitutional outrage would have no real impact in my lifetime or the lifetime of most Americans. And if booze flowed freely in most of the USA during Prohibition so would guns and ammunition would be a dawdle.. 

Some local state action is possible. Have airport style security at schools and college campuses and other mass gatherings for example. It won't fly in Texas but could in most other States.

Moral outrage is certainly not working. 

Just because a problem is difficult to resolve doesn't mean you shouldn't try and fix it, plenty of years everyone thought peace in NI was impossible but there is relative peace there now.  Drugs flow freely into the US but are still illegal, the youth are leading the movement against gun ownership and their voices need to be heard.

Law makers need to grow a pair (or woman up) and take action in the best interests of the country not their pockets. Federal laws could be enacted 1st like making it an offence to carry a loaded weapon across state lines.

There are ways to start to make this better

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Just because a problem is difficult to resolve doesn't mean you shouldn't try and fix it, plenty of years everyone thought peace in NI was impossible but there is relative peace there now.  Drugs flow freely into the US but are still illegal, the youth are leading the movement against gun ownership and their voices need to be heard.

Law makers need to grow a pair (or woman up) and take action in the best interests of the country not their pockets. Federal laws could be enacted 1st like making it an offence to carry a loaded weapon across state lines.

There are ways to start to make this better

I think it already is an offence if the gun is loaded. Mostly they have to be unloaded, locked a secure box and in the boot/trunk out of reach of the passenger or driver. If you go into a State where gun laws are stricter than your own this protects the licensed owner as long as they are just passing through. If they linger then it could be construed as an offence. 

I think the biggest difficulty America is facing is the type of person it seems generally commit such horrendous crime. Police generally deal with informants, regular habits of suspects, usually fairly young, no outstanding habits or regular statements of intentions, probably seen by some as strange, but I guess we can all be seen that way at times. Within their own heads they conceive their deadly plans, they are intelligent enough to identify the weakness in the systems, and it would appear are prepared to carry out their horrendous action with no fear of loss of life, and often quite happy to take their own life or have it taken by rescuers, I am sure they die with contentment that they conceived, carried out, and were never prosecuted for their evil act. Everything can be changed, but those with a sick evil mind will seek and find an opportunity to carry out their badness. One old sergeant told me the best polis is th one if he wisnae polis would probably be a housebreaker. T catch a badie you have to be able to think like one.

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Never go to Tesco without my assault rifle, tbf.

John Findlay
46 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It's like the live Hollywood movies.

Exactly.

Wee Joe needs to make this an obsession. He's up against the obsessed, so he needs to out work them.

Jambo-Jimbo

233 mass shootings this year, and it's only June.

20 mass shootings since the Uvalde massacre.

And still the likes of Ted 'blood on my hands' Cruz doesn't think there's a problem.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

233 mass shootings this year, and it's only June.

20 mass shootings since the Uvalde massacre.

And still the likes of Ted 'blood on my hands' Cruz doesn't think there's a problem.

That’s brutal.

Jambo-Jimbo
13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s brutal.

It isn't half.

The Tulsa hospital shooting where 2 doctors, a receptionist and a patient were killed, the gunman basically walked into a gun store bought an assault rifle and two hours later shot 4 people dead.

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It isn't half.

The Tulsa hospital shooting where 2 doctors, a receptionist and a patient were killed, the gunman basically walked into a gun store bought an assault rifle and two hours later shot 4 people dead.

Words fail me.

hughesie27
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Time to tool up funeral directors.

Every dead body should be buried with a handgun at least as well.

On 31/05/2022 at 08:08, Maple Leaf said:

That's just political posturing by one Party. 

The vast majority of gun deaths (there are relatively few) occur in the major cities and it's turf war between gangs, using guns smuggled in from the USA.  When we read about gang members killing each other, most people figure we should just let them get on with it.

There are,of course, occasional tragedies when an innocent is caught in the cross-fire.

Maybe it's simply an attempt to cap the number of guns already in circulation. I just saw a clip saying the US has 120.5 guns per 100 citizens, but Canada while not approaching that number has the second greatest number of guns among high income nations. Canada has 34.7 guns per 100 citizens.

Saw it early in the following clip in which the presenter amusingly compares the Canadian view of the US to the US view of Mexico when it comes to violence. It also goes into how other countries like the UK dealt with guns following incidents. Including Dunblane.

Maple Leaf
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Maybe it's simply an attempt to cap the number of guns already in circulation. I just saw a clip saying the US has 120.5 guns per 100 citizens, but Canada while not approaching that number has the second greatest number of guns among high income nations. Canada has 34.7 guns per 100 citizens.

Saw it early in the following clip in which the presenter amusingly compares the Canadian view of the US to the US view of Mexico when it comes to violence. It also goes into how other countries like the UK dealt with guns following incidents. Including Dunblane.

In addition to banning hand guns, I'd like to see Canada implement a buy-back program for firearms of all kinds, but there's no talk of that.

13 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

In addition to banning hand guns, I'd like to see Canada implement a buy-back program for firearms of all kinds, but there's no talk of that.

I think that clip mentions such a plan in process. A mandatory buy back of specific weapons.

Maple Leaf
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think that clip mentions such a plan in process. A mandatory buy back of specific weapons.

Here's hoping.

There are legitimate reasons for many Canadians to own firearms.  We have a significant Indigenous population, especially in northern areas, who hunt for food.  We also have a large farming community who need firearms for vermin control.  There are even some arseholes who shoot animals for fun and call themselves hunters.  All of those people are legal gun owners and amount to tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of individuals.

The vast majority of gun deaths are gang related.  I have no idea how you get gang-bangers to turn in their guns.

33 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Here's hoping.

There are legitimate reasons for many Canadians to own firearms.  We have a significant Indigenous population, especially in northern areas, who hunt for food.  We also have a large farming community who need firearms for vermin control.  There are even some arseholes who shoot animals for fun and call themselves hunters.  All of those people are legal gun owners and amount to tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of individuals.

The vast majority of gun deaths are gang related.  I have no idea how you get gang-bangers to turn in their guns.

The guns in gang hands will gradually be captured while it becomes ever more difficult to replace them. And will cost a lot more to obtain illegally. Probably thousands.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why is Trump not in prison?

Can't answer you that one but it did bring to mind another question...

When Trump finally does get incarcerated...will he have secret service protection?

Yes - I know (a) it's barely likely to happen and (b) IF it does he'll have the cushiest prison life imaginable.

Maple Leaf
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That's a very good question.  He's rich and he's powerful which probably makes him bullet-proof.

Do you remember how some were looking forward to him being the ex-President so that the wrath of the world would descend upon him?  Well, here we are, nearly 18 months down the road, and nothing has happened.

I'm convinced that no charges against him will ever be laid.

21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's a very good question.  He's rich and he's powerful which probably makes him bullet-proof.

Do you remember how some were looking forward to him being the ex-President so that the wrath of the world would descend upon him?  Well, here we are, nearly 18 months down the road, and nothing has happened.

I'm convinced that no charges against him will ever be laid.

If he gets reelected, Canada and Mexico could get the Putin treatment.

I would suspect it is not easy to put a former P{resident in jail, but there are actions being taken by some of those who worked with or for him, I suspect they are just evidence bait in the hope that if a considerable sentence is envisioned for their actions while employed in the then White House they  will come out with the condemning stories. Of course what will probably save Trump is that it is not the best situation to have that a former President is identified as a criminal and possibly incarcerated.

Maple Leaf
29 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If he gets reelected, Canada and Mexico could get the Putin treatment.

We'd just cut off the supply of Canadian bacon and maple syrup.  That'd teach 'em.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

We'd just cut off the supply of Canadian bacon and maple syrup.  That'd teach 'em.

You'd be skint :)

Sometimes they will show a little comedy on the Evening News stations here. Some old lady shoing a plthora of lethal weapons flame throwers, gerenades, rifles handguns, all souvenirs her now dead husband brought back from WW2, they have been in the house all this time never used never cleaned just stored away, suddenly after his death the old dear figured it would be a good time to have a good dig out of the rubbish accumulated through the years. 

On 01/06/2022 at 14:58, Dirk McClaymore said:

Never go to Tesco without my assault rifle, tbf.

Ooh, hark at him with his airs and graces.  I never go to Lidl without mine.  :runaway:

il Duce McTarkin
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Ooh, hark at him with his airs and graces.  I never go to Lidl without mine.  :runaway:

Ulysses on his way to do the weekly shop.

download (1).jpeg

Axon (formerly Taser) has scrapped plans for remote control, Taser-armed drones designed to operate in schools after 9 of the 12 members of their internal ethics committee resigned en-masse.

What a feckin dystopian nightmare world the USA is right now.

:vrface:

Jambo-Jimbo

730 people including 66 teenagers and 23 children, have died in shootings in the USA in the last two weeks following the Uvalde school shooting.

But hey, it's all ok as it's your 2nd amendmant right that you can wander about the streets thinking you're G.I. Joe in the good ol' wild west.

Malinga the Swinga
On 04/06/2022 at 05:22, ri Alban said:

Money and secrets he has on others I guess. Much as I would like to see it happen, it never will.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, William H. Bonney said:

Matthew mcconaughey spoke at the white house yesterday.  Personally I think he made a tit of himself.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-61726841

I watched this in full last night having seen a clip. Overall, a disappointment. He seemed unfocused and swung from being the verge of saying something powerful to rambling a bit. It may have been a consequence of how close to home the Uvalde massacre hit.

However, if you stuck with it, I think what he was arguing for sits in reasonable middle ground. He didn't call for abolition (which would just close the ears of all 2nd Amendment acolytes) but made what I think were sensible suggestions for something to be done and promoting responsible gun ownership and controls. Of course, the nutters would just view that as the first step towards abolition.

The country is knacked.

il Duce McTarkin
40 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The country is knacked.

I watched Louis Theroux, Law and Disorder in Philadelphia as it was on the telly last night. I know that it's over 10 years old, but America looks like a car crash of a country for vast swathes of its population.

Jambo-Jimbo

I seen a piece on CNN this morning, in it they were interviewing people who were saying why the needed an AR 15 or similar.

Basically it was a case of they need an AR 15 because he's got one and so has she and so has the guy in the next street, and I need an AR 15 to protect myself and my family.

I even heard one person say that there isn't that many AR 15's, as there were 'only' 20 million in circulation in the USA.

That's more assault rifles than most countries armed forces have.....only 20 million ffs.

Sawdust Caesar
22 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I seen a piece on CNN this morning, in it they were interviewing people who were saying why the needed an AR 15 or similar.

Basically it was a case of they need an AR 15 because he's got one and so has she and so has the guy in the next street, and I need an AR 15 to protect myself and my family.

I even heard one person say that there isn't that many AR 15's, as there were 'only' 20 million in circulation in the USA.

That's more assault rifles than most countries armed forces have.....only 20 million ffs.

A few years ago, after another mass shooting in America, there was a an interview on one of the US news channels where a home security consultant (I think that's what he was called) was saying the best weapon for home security is a hand gun. A couple of the reasons he gave were 1. in an enclosed space, like a hallway, it is much easier for someone to disarm you if you are carrying a rifle than a handgun, and 2. discharging a powerful rifle indoors could end up killing a family member as the bullets could pass through the intruder and through a wall as well, more so if you miss your intended target. I think most folks who want an AR15 is to make them look tough or pretend they are Navy Seals.

• 3 months later...