• JudyJudyJudy

• Jambo-Jimbo

• trotter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PortyJambo
On 02/02/2024 at 08:16, JFK-1 said:

Historic trial to decide if parents of school shooters should be punished

Mother has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, by not doing enough to stop her son carrying out the shooting. Her husband will also face a separate trial, and it would seem is also heading for a guilty verdict if this trial is anything to go by.

You'd hope it would make other parents in the US think about what their children might be capable of especially if they're asking you for mental health help, and not buy them guns, but I doubt it makes any difference. Other parents will just think, we're not like that and neither is my son/daughter like that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68223118

10 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Mother has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, by not doing enough to stop her son carrying out the shooting. Her husband will also face a separate trial, and it would seem is also heading for a guilty verdict if this trial is anything to go by.

You'd hope it would make other parents in the US think about what their children might be capable of especially if they're asking you for mental health help, and not buy them guns, but I doubt it makes any difference. Other parents will just think, we're not like that and neither is my son/daughter like that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68223118

‘Parents must change their behavior’: Mother of school shooter convicted

Yay, now people are getting shot at the Super Bowl celebrations in Kansas City. 

Edited by Tazio

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Yay, now people are getting shot at the Super Bowl celebrations in Kansas City. 

Yeah just read that. Good grief!! is there no end to the madness in the good old USA...😪

• 4 weeks later...
Mikey1874

Surprising and not surprising.

Blamed the parents too.

Edited by Mikey1874

Tommy Brown

The father of a 15-year-old Michigan school gunman who killed four students has been convicted of manslaughter.

The trial heard that James Crumbley, 47, had ignored his son Ethan's mental health needs, buying him the handgun he used in the November 2021 attack.

He and his wife - who was convicted on the same charges - now both face a maximum of 15 years in prison.

The full story is worth a read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68572112

ArcticJambo

That's a sad story all round tbqh.  I very much doubt they'll follow up the conviction with much in the way of a custodial sentence.  It will be used to send a message to those with firearms to make sure you store them safely, if indeed you do need them. 

The stuff about ignoring his mental health issues is a tricky one and requies more in-depth study, the headline all about clicks there!  I'll fead the Beeb article now, only read the Guardian one earlier.

Tommy Brown
12 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

That's a sad story all round tbqh.  I very much doubt they'll follow up the conviction with much in the way of a custodial sentence.  It will be used to send a message to those with firearms to make sure you store them safely, if indeed you do need them. 

The stuff about ignoring his mental health issues is a tricky one and requies more in-depth study, the headline all about clicks there!  I'll fead the Beeb article now, only read the Guardian one earlier.

I posted it after watching it on news reports. Nothing to do with clicbait headlines.

Both parents have been convicted.

I said the story is interesting, her defence was to blame the father. His defence was not to defend himself.

It spectacularly backfired (unlike the gun)

Your clickbait comment is utter nonsense.

hughesie27
3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I posted it after watching it on news reports. Nothing to do with clicbait headlines.

I said the story is interesting, her defence was to blame the father. His defence was not to defend himself.

All he is saying is that the article leading with the mention of ignoring mental health issues isn't backed up by any content in the article and would be tough to prove.

Edited by hughesie27

Tommy Brown
19 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

All he is saying is that the article leading with the mention of ignoring mental health issues isn't backed up by any content in the article and would be tough to prove.

Must be reading a different article to me then

He did not take even the slightest measures to ensure his son was not a threat after giving him a semi-automatic pistol as a gift just days before the shooting, said the prosecutor.

Prosecutors also said the Crumbleys had not done enough to address their son's declining mental health.

On the morning of the shooting, the two parents cut short a school meeting about a disturbing drawing their son had made to go to work and had declined to take him home.

School officials sent him back to class without checking his backpack, which contained a gun.

When Crumbley heard about the shooting, he rushed home from his job as a DoorDash delivery driver, looking for the weapon, the trial heard.

Crumbley's defence lawyer, Mariell Lehman, argued that "James had no idea that his son was having a hard time".

Crumbley did not testify, unlike his wife, who took the stand during her trial and tried to blame her husband.

Prosecutors said the Crumbleys had also failed to ensure the weapon was safely stored.

hughesie27
20 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Must be reading a different article to me then

He did not take even the slightest measures to ensure his son was not a threat after giving him a semi-automatic pistol as a gift just days before the shooting, said the prosecutor.

Prosecutors also said the Crumbleys had not done enough to address their son's declining mental health.

On the morning of the shooting, the two parents cut short a school meeting about a disturbing drawing their son had made to go to work and had declined to take him home.

School officials sent him back to class without checking his backpack, which contained a gun.

When Crumbley heard about the shooting, he rushed home from his job as a DoorDash delivery driver, looking for the weapon, the trial heard.

Crumbley's defence lawyer, Mariell Lehman, argued that "James had no idea that his son was having a hard time".

Crumbley did not testify, unlike his wife, who took the stand during her trial and tried to blame her husband.

Prosecutors said the Crumbleys had also failed to ensure the weapon was safely stored.

They cut a meeting short (perhaps had jobs to get to?) And did not want their son to miss a day of school. That's what qualifies as not doing "...enough to address their son's declining mental health."

They're guilty of a lot and deserve their jail time but without any other evidence from the article I can see why leading with that in the opening blurb could be seen as "clickbait".

Edit: Just seen the article does mention them going to work. 

Edited by hughesie27

Spellczech

Always remember from Biology at school that phenotype (how a creature looks) = Genotype + Environment. By extension you could say that a person's behaviour is down to their Genes and their environment when growing up...

ArcticJambo
8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Aye, the 'clickbait' reference was to that somewhat tenuoius link that prosecutors and the Beeb have decided to run with. In fact a bit contradictry, the part of the story wrt the mental health issues.  Reputable sites/papers have been going down the rags papers routes of a long time now, and in a way this article leans that way too to an extent, looking for clicks I postulate. 

I stated I felt for everybody involved so I'm not trying to make excuses for the parents (basic rule of firearms is safe storage - I had multiple rifles for 20 plus yrs) but it makes it out that they bought him a handgun for his birthday, like "here son, we know you've had a hard time lately, go have some fun" (as we can't be arsed with all your teen BS so hopefully this 'semi-auto handgun' (most are these days, its not quite the wild west with old six-shooters!)) 15 yr old laddies often go through emotional issues at that age. It's more complicated than even the good old beeb can get into. 

Again. It's a great route to go down though, a small step in a step by step process, whereby gun holders now know that they'll be liable if they've failed at the very least to store their firearms correctly. :thumbsup:  Unfortunately for this couple, some folks will have to be the fall-guys.

Edited by ArcticJambo

• 4 weeks later...

They will serve a minimum 10 years, the parents of the victims get a life of agony with no parole. Like the son they failed to parent who was arrested at 15 and is doing life without parole. All of it is down to these two.

JimmyCant
13 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

They will serve a minimum 10 years, the parents of the victims get a life of agony with no parole. Like the son they failed to parent who was arrested at 15 and is doing life without parole. All of it is down to these two.

Jail time will be reduced on appeal. Even the judge knows that but hoped to send a loud message. PSI recommended 4-7 years. At the lower end(4 years)they have almost served that once the deductions come off. They’ll both be out by next summer IMO.

Gundermann

A bit off topic but who shot their eyes?  😄

1ce2f707a35bf5e4.png