Robbie Neilson Tactics

Walter Bishop

Rudi cant fail

It’s not as simple as having a go when playing teams far superior, as they will just pick you off.

We should however be matching our opponents hunger and desire, we didn’t today. Despite rangers playing in the baking heat for over 2 hours on Wednesday.  Other than simms early chance we created nothing of note. Rangers looked in complete control throughout the game. It looked as if we were playing for penalties. 

there were moments in the game where rangers were looking a bit shaky and this is when we should be capitalising, the manager and the players should be noticing that, but it’s like there is a lack of belief and mentality to act on it. No shots on target backs this up.  It was a really poor performance today in my opinion and I do think Robbie got a lot wrong today. 

we are going to really struggle next season to maintain our best if the rest mantle with having 8 European games. We just don’t have the squad for it. We will no doubt sign a few in the summer, but we won’t have the luxury of being able to field two teams like rangers and Celtic. 

robbie after the game says that he wants to bridge the gap between us and the old firm, but that starts with actually having the belief that you can beat them in Glasgow and working out ways to do that. It’s only going to get harder with the champions league money that Celtic and possibly rangers are going to get next season. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Malinga the Swinga

• Bazzas right boot

Jamboelite
13 minutes ago, jamborich said:

See this is what I don't get it's a cup final why do we have to appreciate the opposition 

Because across the park they are better players.

To deny that is not looking objectively at the game.

Edited by Jamboelite

Ronsajambo2

Worrying thing was lack of alternative game  plan. We did exactly as was planned (I suspect) for 70 /80 mins. At that point it’s a 20/10 minute cup final. Against a team who had been horsed literally and metaphorically earlier in week. Sadly, our play did not change one iota. No ambition or leadership shown. (Craig G excepted). 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Was he playing for penalties? First manager ever in a cup final to play for a draw. 

Ask the players what they were doing?

Ask yourself would we rather have player Moore and Sibbick who were match fit?

Ask yourself who we had to replace Boyce?

Ask yourself if we intended to blow out of our arses with our half fit players in extra time?

Ask yourself what the alternative was?

Ask yourself how much more money the Huns were being paid and therefore how much more quality they had?

Ask yourself if you really actually thought we had a right or expectation to win?

Ask yourself the last time we were guaranteed 8 games in Europe?

Twat two 

Lone Striker
16 minutes ago, jamborich said:

See this is what I don't get it's a cup final why do we have to appreciate the opposition 

So you reckon the likes of  Kent & Bassey are nothing exceptional ?  

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, hmfc1440 said:

RN has gone as far as he can. Hasn't got it to go further - same as CL.

Twat three

On what basis? Because we didn’t beat the Europa league finalists you nonce?

south morocco
Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Twat three

On what basis? Because we didn’t beat the Europa league finalists you nonce?

Come on, no need for abuse , nonce? We are all hurting tonight and folks are venting after a poor performance. Chill man

Tasavallan
20 minutes ago, Rudi cant fail said:

robbie after the game says that he wants to bridge the gap between us and the old firm, but that starts with actually having the belief that you can beat them in Glasgow and working out ways to do that. It’s only going to get harder with the champions league money that Celtic and possibly rangers are going to get next season. 

Hearts may have a superior squad in comparison to the other Premiership teams but they cannot compete for 90 min against the best that the OF can field.

Apart from goalkeeper all areas need strengthening and even then a #2 keeper better than Stewart is needed.

Of the current signed players only Gordon, Halkett, Kingsley, Boyce and McKay have a start.  I hope Savage has a good summer.

Edited by Tasavallan

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Come on, no need for abuse , nonce? We are all hurting tonight and folks are venting after a poor performance. Chill man

I’m not hurting with the game. I didn’t expect to win with the injuries we had/ lack of match fitness.

I’m in despair that the cavemen are back out banging their heads off brick walls after the season we have had.

Hearts fans can be trashier than our west coast friends at times.

8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

So you reckon the likes of  Kent & Bassey are nothing exceptional ?  

Do you have a point?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Bull's-eye said:

How much money has Robbie earned the club this season ?

£6m on a conservative basis IMO 

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

And yet, every season he's been with us he's taken us to the next level. That's a remarkable record. I hope he stays for at least ten years.

If we get railed in every European game and finish bottom 6 next season. Do you still want RN as our manager? 

Bull's-eye
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

£6m on a conservative basis IMO 

Decent haul then. No bad for a dud.

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

Fair point but how much will he spunk next season you can try and justify his legitimacy but he's not European class 

Bull's-eye
Just now, jamborich said:

Fair point but how much will he spunk next season you can try and justify his legitimacy but he's not European class 

I'll deal in facts you'll deal in innuendo 😜

Midloth_Iain
1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

Can't believe I'm reading this.

Over 90 minutes, we drew with Rangers, European finalists, in Glasgow, and someone wants to sack the manager. 

Seriously ?

If that was good enough for a Hearts supporter, then our standards have slipped big time !

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Do you have a point?

Just responding to your post about the opposition - sometimes they have better players than us on the day.  Kent & Bassey were examples of that today.  

Naisys Tackle

Just post this here instead sorry:

Although frustrated today just because I thought we could have done better and brought the Cup back.

We have to remember this time last year we had just been promoted, lost to Broara in the Scottish and looked like a massive rebuild.

Now we've lost in extra time, and despite how you feel the tactics, motivation and drive was we lost in extra time to a team that has recently beaten Celtic and Leizig in a Semi, Dortmund and Braga also.  

We have just finished easily third and are still in the middle of massive transition. 

It has been a major successful season which European Football until Christmas is guaranteed.

Yes, I feel we let ourselves down from 35 minutes onwards but literally everyone before the season began would have taken pissing 3rd since around Christmas, pumping the shite again in another Semi and losing narrowly in extra time to a team that just lost the Europa League final on penalties.  Perspective wise Manchester United lost the last final on penalties in the same season we lost in the cups to Alloa and Broara.

Onwards and upwards.   Robbie and his team as well as the club are progressing beyond recognition.  It's time to fully back them instead of picking holes because it was one step too far.

See you all in about ten days time when Scotland play, because emotions are getting the better of a lot of posters.

HGH. 

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Seriously ?

If that was good enough for a Hearts supporter, then our standards have slipped big time !

I don't feel it was good enough and very frustrating but overall the season has been a very successful one. 

6 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'll deal in facts you'll deal in innuendo 😜

No I deal in reality you happy then fair play but I'll bet you neilson is not the manager to take us to the next level

5 hours ago, Bozi said:

Get to feck 

What a surprise the arseholes are out quickly 

Halkett, Souttar, Boyce and Devlin were struggling for fitness, as the game went on their lack of gametime started to show. Boyce going off was a turning point, losing a 2nd so quickly ended it 

Nielson was 30 minutes away from true legend status, take your negativity and ram it

I agree.

We were playing the Europa League finalists not some pub team.

If we had been playing Frankfurt, or last seasons finalists Man U or Villareal people would be hailing Nielson as a genius for getting to extra time.  

Get real.  

Lone Striker
1 minute ago, jamborich said:

No I deal in reality you happy then fair play but I'll bet you neilson is not the manager to take us to the next level

Give us a name then.  Someone guaranteed to take us to the "next level".

Tom Hardy’s Dug
18 minutes ago, oritem8 said:

If we get railed in every European game and finish bottom 6 next season. Do you still want RN as our manager? 

If we win and draw 3 or 4 games in a Europe and finish 3rd again do you want to keep him?

#numbnuts

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Lone Striker said:

Hearts twat Bingo

Tommy Wright 

Derek Mcinnes

Calum Davidson

Not sure they have any other ideas.

Just now, Lone Striker said:

There is no name.  It is a fiction.   

Lone Striker

It would appear the Robbie haters have gone from blaming him for losing to  Brora and Birkirkara  ..... to blaming him for losing after extra time to the  Europa League finalists !!

:vrface:

Bull's-eye
11 minutes ago, jamborich said:

The reality is Robbie has earned the club a tidy sum this season and a guaranteed tidy sum for next season before a ball is kicked.

That's reality for you.

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

It would appear the Robbie haters have gone from blaming him for losing to  Brora and Birkirkara  ..... to blaming him for losing after extra time to the  Europa League finalists !!

It is truly unbelievable.    

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

With half a team half fit.

They have they really have

They’ve been waiting a long time though so they needed this release otherwise their bollox would literally have internally exploded.

They need this jizz moment.

OmiyaHearts

I've seen shitier teams put up a better fight than a Robbie team. But, thats where we are with him. A safe bet.

OmiyaHearts
5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Are you saying he's not to blame for Brora or Birkikara?

6 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

No name don't know but if we come up against a big name in Europe he will shit himself he has no belief struggles to understand to win you have to compete 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
56 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That sounds like a 5 year old saying "I know what you are but what am I?".

Perhaps you need a lie down?

more incoherent slavering from you frank you certainly called it right in your commentary :)

5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The reality is Robbie has earned the club a tidy sum this season and a guaranteed tidy sum for next season before a ball is kicked.

That's reality for you.

So are you happy for him to have the budget 

34 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Not as much as our no1

Naisys Tackle
13 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

I agree.

We were playing the Europa League finalists not some pub team.

If we had been playing Frankfurt, or last seasons finalists Man U or Villareal people would be hailing Nielson as a genius for getting to extra time.  

Get real.  

It's a very valid point.

Reality was though it was a majorly under strength rangers side that we failed to show up against after 30 minutes and the worry aspect of that is we played the same tactics that only just came out on top against 10 men Hibs.  It worked then and it worked in our first game against Celtic but it was lucky.  It wasn't lucky the majority of the season we played with a lack of fear and had freedom.   We gave it more of a go against Celtic the past 2 cup finals in comparison to today.  

5 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I've seen shitier teams put up a better fight than a Robbie team. But, thats where we are with him. A safe bet.

I wonder what kind of performance Livi would have put up today?

Lone Striker
1 minute ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Are you saying he's not to blame for Brora or Birkikara?

You may have misunderstood my post.   😉

Tactics were probably bang on, until the 70th minute, when the shackles should have come off and had a go.  The Halliday substitution was baffling, we had no outball, needed pace up top so we replace Boyce with our slowest centre mid.. 

Game kinda summed up our season, everything was pretty safe and conservative.  We strolled 3rd place but our final points tally was nothing special compared to the previous 3rd placed teams from previous years.

Need to recruit well again this summer but build a system and style of play to suit our best players.

49 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Ask the players what they were doing?

Ask yourself would we rather have player Moore and Sibbick who were match fit?

Ask yourself who we had to replace Boyce?

Ask yourself if we intended to blow out of our arses with our half fit players in extra time?

Ask yourself what the alternative was?

Ask yourself how much more money the Huns were being paid and therefore how much more quality they had?

Ask yourself if you really actually thought we had a right or expectation to win?

Ask yourself the last time we were guaranteed 8 games in Europe?

Twat two 

Spot on. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
11 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I’ve seen a Robbie Championship take Celtic to 3-3 and pens 

I’ve seen a Robbie team take the Europa league finalist to extra time with a half fit team

Ive seen a Robbie team beat Hibs in two Scottish cup semi finals.

What have you seen the the manager of the team you support do?

Naisys Tackle
7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

With half a team half fit.

They have they really have

They’ve been waiting a long time though so they needed this release otherwise their bollox would literally have internally exploded.

They need this jizz moment.

Rangers had more than half a team unfit.  

We had literally nobody match fit beating Hibs in 2020 in the Semi.  

We won't get a better chance of beating one of the Old Firm in a final ever, it's natural that people are upset because we ultimately feel we let ourselves down - that's partially to the credit of Neilson and the back team have lead the club forward. 

There is a repeating pattern though of Robbie not going for it when the chance is there or staring the side he is managing in the face.   Was he not in charge of a Dundee Utd side who lost to St Mirren in the playoff final despite them being down to 10 mins for ages?  

It's just so bloody frustrating as we could and should have done a lot better. 

I would still not have played 3-4-3 however. Although I suspect the fitness of certain players had something to do with that. 

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, escobri said:

I wonder what kind of performance Livi would have put up today?

There's probably a balance in between us today and the Hibs team that beat Rangers 3-1 at Hampden this year before sacking their manager. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Rangers had more than half a team unfit.  

We had literally nobody match fit beating Hibs in 2020 in the Semi.  

We won't get a better chance of beating one of the Old Firm in a final ever, it's natural that people are upset because we ultimately feel we let ourselves down - that's partially to the credit of Neilson and the back team have lead the club forward. 

There is a repeating pattern though of Robbie not going for it when the chance is there or staring the side he is managing in the face.   Was he not in charge of a Dundee Utd side who lost to St Mirren in the playoff final despite them being down to 10 mins for ages?  

It's just so bloody frustrating as we could and should have done a lot better. 

When you say “team” you realise both that you are ignoring “squad” and also that the Rangers team wasn’t half fit. They only had to leave out one player after Wednesday. Also Morellos is obviously long term injured. Are you comparing Morellos to Boyce FFS?

Who was half fit in the Huns team?

I’ll tell you who we had who wasn’t fully fit:

Boyce, Devlin, Souttar, Halkett. Doubtful as to full fitness - Kingsley, Halliday, Simms. Key player out - Beni

Please just ponder on that for a bit before you relax your ring piece again