Robbie Neilson Tactics

Walter Bishop

Fort Vallance

Zero attempts on target in 120 minutes is damning enough. Looking across the pitch the obsession with keeping the shape was so obvious. Nobody had the balls to break. That tactic has only come from one source. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Malinga the Swinga

• Bazzas right boot

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You are re-writing history.

Against a shocking St Mirren team, we fell apart after 20 minutes and scored near end. 

We didn't fight, we were dreadful, both on and off park where our manager was out thought by Danny ****ing Lennon.

If you believe that was better than today, then you're at it. In fact, I know you are.

I couldn’t care less really but today was awful and as bad a managerial performance as Locke as ever had, disgusting in fact. 

Fort Vallance
3 minutes ago, Badonde said:

We came out in that second half and it was obvious that the players had been told to sit back

Not only was it obvious to everyone in the stands it was obvious to the Rangers players. An open invitation to swarm all over us.

CostaJambo

Robbie doesn't have the ability to put out a very attacking team while staying rock strong at the back, so he compensates with disjointed tactics to do a bit of both poorly. We seem to have found a gem in Savage, maybe it's time to bring in a different style of manage to convert all these good players into winners?

Just now, Fort Vallance said:

Zero attempts on target in 120 minutes is damning enough. Looking across the pitch the obsession with keeping the shape was so obvious. Nobody had the balls to break. That tactic has only come from one source. 

Would that be the source who got us promoted first time (again) followed by comfortably third in the league (again)?

Only on kickback could an "obsession with keeping the shape" in an important match be an insult.

AC Mallin_51

I wasn’t the slightest bit happy with the approach today however it’s what I expected. All I can say though is if we held on to pens and won we’d be hailing the guy a hero. The teams growing, still learning, same goes for Robbie. We’re on the right track 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, CostaJambo said:

Robbie doesn't have the ability to put out a very attacking team while staying rock strong at the back, so he compensates with disjointed tactics to do a bit of both poorly. We seem to have found a gem in Savage, maybe it's time to bring in a different style of manage to convert all these good players into winners?

Or perhaps doesn't have the squad.

It looked like all the team had worked on was the defensive shape to the point of becoming obsessive about it.  Ran out of time for working on ways to score.

If a park the bus strategy wins the game then the manager gets plaudits - but if losing there is absolutely nowhere to hide.  They get deserved criticism because they are not trying to win, they are trying not to lose.

In addition I saw a team today with no guts.  With a couple of exceptions the players gave in after the first goal.  I'm in favour of gutting this squad.

1 minute ago, CostaJambo said:

Can't believe I'm reading this.

Over 90 minutes, we drew with Rangers, European finalists, in Glasgow, and someone wants to sack the manager. 

Fort Vallance
1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Would that be the source who got us promoted first time (again) followed by comfortably third in the league (again)?

Only on kickback could an "obsession with keeping the shape" in an important match be an insult.

Nah. Only on kickback would somebody avoid the obvious to defend the indefensible. That performance was pish and you know it.

JennytheJambo

Was there any tactics? If we had only to play for a draw then it worked over 90 mins. There were too many players out there that didn’t look interested. There was no fight, no desire, nothing. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I couldn’t care less really but today was awful and as bad a managerial performance as Locke as ever had, disgusting in fact. 

So going to extra time against a Rangers team who reached European final is equally as bad as losing to a shit St Mirren team managed by Danny Lennon.

What's the point, you are just trolling Hearts supporters. 

Good night and good bye.

frankblack
Just now, Coco said:

It looked like all the team had worked on was the defensive shape to the point of becoming obsessive about it.  Ran out of time for working on ways to score.

If a park the bus strategy wins the game then the manager gets plaudits - but if losing there is absolutely nowhere to hide.  They get deserved criticism because they are not trying to win, they are trying not to lose.

In addition I saw a team today with no guts.  With a couple of exceptions the players gave in after the first goal.  I'm in favour of gutting this squad.

Or maybe we didn't have enough fit players to do better?

Or we just don't have that quality of player.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Over 90 minutes, we drew with Rangers, European finalists, in Glasgow, and someone wants to sack the manager. 

It's madness, but if used as an exercise to identify posters to put on ignore, could be useful.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Or maybe we didn't have enough fit players to do better?

Or we just don't have that quality of player.

No doubt we don't have the players.  Only Gordon, Souttar and maybe Simms would get in their squad - and none of them would significantly improve it.

frankblack
1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Spot on.

Usual suspects have somehow made us favourites and got upset when we lost to a team while punching above our weight!

CostaJambo
2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

We are going to have plenty of money to spend soon. Do you honestly think there is nobody better than Robbie to try and split the Old Firm? The guy is so cautious in big games I don't think he is the man to take us to the next level. 

I feel multiple things can be true. I believe Robbie has done a great job. 3rd this season is fantastic,  group stages in Europe is outstanding and an amazing boost for the club. 

But... I'm 42 and have watched us play like that  ( or very similar  ) for most of the last 25 years v Old Firm. It virtually never works and mostly is very disappointing and frustrating.  I just feel we could have given more today in terms of matching their intensity.  

Edited by Snorri1

13 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

First half we could have had several good opportunities had we been able to get the ball out to Atkinson who had made great runs forward. But he looked like he ran out of steam along with the rest of the team.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So going to extra time against a Rangers team who reached European final is equally as bad as losing to a shit St Mirren team managed by Danny Lennon.

What's the point, you are just trolling Hearts supporters. 

Good night and good bye.

Yes because we didn’t even attempt to win the game against a team who admitted to being flat on and off the pitch at the start. Just sat back and waited for the inevitable, AGAIN. 
A tactically inept manager who left the wingbacks exposed by playing two number tens who can’t press. 
Bye bye. 

12 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

We are going to have plenty of money to spend soon. Do you honestly think there is nobody better than Robbie to try and split the Old Firm? The guy is so cautious in big games I don't think he is the man to take us to the next level. 

And yet, every season he's been with us he's taken us to the next level. That's a remarkable record. I hope he stays for at least ten years.

Riccarton3
7 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He got it badly wrong today from start to finish.

Ok. First half. Let us have it. 

We were awful first half, both teams were. 

45mins of a Cup Final  - zero effort on target.

90mins of a Cup Final- zero efforts on target.

120mins of a Cup Final- zero efforts on target.

Tell me when in 120mins, we closed the ball down, we were first to second balls, we were in their faces, we took the game to them?

We stood off a team who were vulnerable and let them dictate the game. Thankfully they were not that great and we had CG or it could have been a proper hounding.

Neilson had/gave nothing today.

Gordon/Souttar aside the players had/gave nothing.

Unfortunate but that's the way it was.

Something was majorly wrong today as there was no 'team' on the park or on the touchline.

35 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Some of our fans need a reality check.

I started a thread about robbie after we lost to Celtic at tynie complaining his tactics are bad against the old firm never asked for him to be sacked but today confirmed he's not the manager to take us forward 

OmiyaHearts

Hard to avoid the truth today, our management shat it and that fed through to the players.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We stood off a team who were vulnerable and let them dictate the game. 

How were they vulnerable?

Unbeaten in league from Sept against any side other than Celtic.

Reached European final.

Made changes to starting 11 to ensure players fresh.

Brought players on like Kamara as sub, quality we simply don't have.

Playing in their home city.

So how were they vulnerable?

23 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He got it badly wrong today from start to finish.

I’m ambivalent about Robbie but I’m very disappointed with that performance. It was a purely defensive set up that never really changed. But what could he do, the passing was awful too many slack passes and giving away possession. No real goal threat. It’s disappointing we didn’t make a go of it but maybe we would have been beaten 5-0. It could easily have been 4-0 if not for Gordon. 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Who said I was happy. We lost final. I'm certainly not happy about that.

Don't care about stats, just wanted to win.

I do realise that Rangers/Sevco are a decent team and barely lose to Scottish teams. That is because they sign a quality of player we can't afford, they can't afford it either which is different story, and they sign a load of them.

If you think it's as simple as 'Have a go', fair enough. I don't.

🤣 4 shots off target in the whole game is not simply "stats". And I never mentioned having a go swinga that was you pal 

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s a pity Neilson doesn’t have the same foresight.

I've no idea what you mean by that 

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

How were they vulnerable?

Unbeaten in league from Sept against any side other than Celtic.

Reached European final.

Made changes to starting 11 to ensure players fresh.

Brought players on like Kamara as sub, quality we simply don't have.

Playing in their home city.

So how were they vulnerable?

Not vulnerable but beatable pity our manager couldn't see it

Lone Striker

A few simple observations -

Our form started to dip in the Ross Co game ......  no points from the final 3 post-split games took its toll on the players confidence .... so today was no surprise.   All the chat about Rangers players being tired was wide of the mark because they've got a big squad of good players    

Lots of folk are saying its Robbie's tactics that are to blame for today, but we were chasing shadows from the 30 minute mark onwards.  Sad to say, Rangers have players several levels above ours (apart from Gordon).   

Haring getting booked after 3 minutes didn't help.    Boyce was doing ok and having a positive impact until his injuries caught up with him.   We gave the ball away far too often, then struggled to get it back because their players were playing at a faster pace the we were.  Their awareness, pace and accuracy of passing was miles better than ours.

Presumably Robbie told our players to give the ball away as often as possible ?

weegie jambo

FWIW we abandoned our usual patient passing build up game in favor of a long ball/hoof ball tactic. This has never worked for us and wasn't going to work today. The only time we looked like threatening was when we did play passing one touch football. Bearing in mind we had players out there carrying injuries and woefully short on game time I think we did OK, but we were not a fully fit team. Soon as Boyce went off what little link up play we had disappeared. McKay was off for today and both wing back were targeted and never really got forward enough. We've had a good season overall we just need to stick to our style and get better players in. Woodburn for Boyce would have kept our shape the same. Halliday (who I like) was never going to fill the Boyce roll, we we're far too cautious on the day. On to next season.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I’m ambivalent about Robbie but I’m very disappointed with that performance. It was a purely defensive set up that never really changed. But what could he do, the passing was awful too many slack passes and giving away possession. No real goal threat. It’s disappointing we didn’t make a go of it but maybe we would have been beaten 5-0. It could easily have been 4-0 if not for Gordon. 

He did nothing, like the team.

gashauskis9

They stopped Haring playing his game, that was the start of it.  I’m struggling to think of a time Haring had his foot on the ball like he usually does.  That meant everything went long or via the wing backs who were absolutely woeful today.  Because we went long we relied on winning 2nd balls, which we didn’t.  McKay was awol, waste of a jersey.  The subs didn’t work and merely proved how big the gulf is between our first team and the squad players.  Boyce was the only Hearts player other than Souttar who looked comfortable on the ball. 

Simply, we didn’t put a glove on them.  

It’s been an amazing season, Robbie has been fantastic.  That said, imo a big decision needs to be made in the summer as to whether we just want to occasionally be the best of the rest and get to the odd final against one of them, or whether we want to seriously change the mindset and our recruitment strategy to enable us to compete in games like today.  We have to stop giving the OF respect and believe we can beat them, and I’m not convinced the majority of this squad believe they can. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Speaking to people in Ryries and the view was people like you are unbelievable.  A complete embarrassment.

To hold a grudge as long as you takes Hibs levels of bitterness and desperation.

Generally you seem to need a reality check. 👍

your commentary was right frank you’re doing some slavering on this thread

Nucky Thompson

Absolute dreadful tactics.

Same as when he lost to the Maltese waiters :vrface:

3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

A few simple observations -

Our form started to dip in the Ross Co game ......  no points from the final 3 post-split games took its toll on the players confidence .... so today was no surprise.   All the chat about Rangers players being tired was wide of the mark because they've got a big squad of good players    

Lots of folk are saying its Robbie's tactics that are to blame for today, but we were chasing shadows from the 30 minute mark onwards.  Sad to say, Rangers have players several levels above ours (apart from Gordon).   

Haring getting booked after 3 minutes didn't help.    Boyce was doing ok and having a positive impact until his injuries caught up with him.   We gave the ball away far too often, then struggled to get it back because their players were playing at a faster pace the we were.  Their awareness, pace and accuracy of passing was miles better than ours.

Presumably Robbie told our players to give the ball away as often as possible ?

Shite

feedthefox

I thought we were going to make history today. 

First team in modern times to win Scottish Cup without a single shot. 

Jamboelite
1 hour ago, Badonde said:

We came out in that second half and it was obvious that the players had been told to sit back

No it wasnt. You have to appreciate that sometime the opposition dictates the play.

In fairness to Robbie he was to busy chatting to the 4th official to worry about the game,what the point in complaining to him all game is going to do I'll never know waste of time - only other time he did anything was when he kept telling the players to push up but in general it was just ANOTHER shit show in Glasgow like what Levein used to do 

Jamboelite

Those that blame Robbie have to appreciate that the opposition have their say as well and today we were up against a team that was better than us regardless of our manager.

We didnt play to our best but that isnt always the managers problem.

We have had a good season and it’s disappointing it wasnt a great one. 

Jamboelite
Just now, rory78 said:

In fairness to Robbie he was to busy chatting to the 4th official to worry about the game,what the point in complaining to him all game is going to do I'll never know waste of time - only other time he did anything was when he kept telling the players to push up but in general it was just ANOTHER shit show in Glasgow like what Levein used to do 

Maybe then its down to the players ??

4 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

No it wasnt. You have to appreciate that sometime the opposition dictates the play.

See this is what I don't get it's a cup final why do we have to appreciate the opposition 

frankblack
15 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

your commentary was right frank you’re doing some slavering on this thread

That sounds like a 5 year old saying "I know what you are but what am I?".

Perhaps you need a lie down?

35 minutes ago, jamborich said:

I started a thread about robbie after we lost to Celtic at tynie complaining his tactics are bad against the old firm never asked for him to be sacked but today confirmed he's not the manager to take us forward 

And yet he has, every season. How do you explain that?

Bull's-eye

For 90 minutes, Robbie got our tactics spot on.

Allowing the crosses to come in by not doubling up on their wingers and sweeping up the ball in central areas frustrated the Huns.

Unfortunately they made decent changes and we run out of steam and both their goals came from errors in the middle of the pitch by tired players.

0-0 away in Glasgow is none too shabby.

frankblack
3 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

And yet he has, every season. How do you explain that?

:spoton:

You would think the examples of Jack Ross  and Derek Mcciness show the damage.