Robbie Neilson Tactics

Walter Bishop

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Fella, we are all disappointed at the result but when you don’t work their goalie and allow a back line who had ran round for 120 minutes in 35 degree heat one of the easiest afternoons they have had for a long time, maybe you have to ask a question about what we had set out to do.

That does not make people Hibs fans or is it a comfort blanket for you to think that they are. 

Quite.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Malinga the Swinga

• Bazzas right boot

Rocky jamboa

Robbie got the first half spot on - keep it tight. But we should have went for it after 70 mins.

A really insipid display. Robbie is really limited tactically and motivationally. He is probably quite happy with a 2 nil defeat - as will budge!

Paolo Sergio got the tactics spot on  v celtic In the 2-1 beattie game. 0 shots on target v a reserve keeper and a team that had a gruellling 120 mins in midweek is shocking  

Hearts1975
8 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

Fair enough. An analysis of what went wrong much better than Tom Hardy’s dug or frank black picking fights left right and centre. 

Rangers are a very good side who came within a bawhair of winning one of the major prizes in club football but, regardless of the fitness levels, that was as poor as we have been all season.

I don’t think anyone in front of Gordon or the back 3 gets pass marks.

I also don’t think that we have been anywhere good enough since beating Hibs. Too many accepted mediocrity in favour of “the bigger picture “ and in the end it came back to bite us in the arse!

Your right. It wasn't a good performance today. It's obvious there is a bit of debate as to the reasons why.

We haven't been at it since the semi but I think (again) that the reason we have regressed in the final games is that the injuries and fitness levels caught up with our key players at the one time and we didn't have the squad depth or means to change things. If any lesson has to be learned going into next year it's this 

It's a mute point but the counter argument that I have heard to the above is that we didn't go out and attack them from the get go and that was why we lost the game. If only it was that simple ...

J.T.F.Robertson

Stop all this shite. They just have better players than us, it's that simple.

Tactics, subs, 😞 there was no one on our bench who was capable of making one iota of difference.

We finished near 40 points behind them ffs!

9 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Tactics, subs, 😞 there was no one on our bench who was capable of making one iota of difference.

Seconded.  

15 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

No point in turning up them ffs have a word 

John Findlay
4 hours ago, jamborich said:

This notion they have better players is shite St Johnstone won two cups last season 

The same St Johnstone who on Monday have to beat ICT to avoid relegation this season.

Who blew a two goal lead last Friday night, that St Johnstone?

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The same St Johnstone who on Monday have to beat ICT to avoid relegation this season.

Who blew a two goal lead last Friday night, that St Johnstone?

The same St Johnstone who didn’t play a high pressing game and relied on breakaways to win their cups.

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

The same St Johnstone who didn’t play a high pressing game and relied on breakaways to win their cups.

So ****ing what.

Watch their two finals again and tell me you weren't bored shitless with the football being played.

Or are you claiming St Johnstone last season played the most eye catching attacking football in Scotland?

Edited by John Findlay

Our bench was the weak link yesterday. We had nobody that could’ve come on and influenced the game. That’s what we lacked yesterday. Nothing to do with Robbie or his tactics. We could only take it so far - but that wasn’t enough. Shame, cos within the 90 mins, the huns were there to be shot at. Extra time was different. 

frankblack
5 hours ago, jamborich said:

This notion they have better players is shite St Johnstone won two cups last season 

That is the most batshit mental argument I've ever heard.  To dismiss the clear fact they have better players just makes you sound delusional.

Bar McGreggor they have better players in every position,  and back up players in those positions that are better, and backups to those...

If you looked at our bench you merely had to consider who could come on and change the game for us?  Then do the same with their bench.

If after considering that you still thought the teams were evenly matched you need your head examined.

We had a decent best XI when fit but the points difference in the league shows how far away we are from Sevco and Celtic.  Our team was full of players rushed back from injuries because we had nothing better.

We need to build gradually by increasing the quality and strengthening our squad depth if we want to get closer to the uglies.

7 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

We did compete much better in both recent finals and for one reason only 

Today was square pegs in round holes. At the very start of the season our policy was signing quality and over quantity. Basically pay more per player but have less players in line with our budget. Obviously impacted by the fact we just came up from the championship 

Our squad was pretty much on its last legs for this game. There were 5-6 players that you could argue shouldn't have even been playing in that game and we have been trying to get them fit for weeks now 

Why ? Because we never had anyone else who could really come in and do a better job - you just can't replace the likes of Boyce, Devlin, Simms, souttar, Halkett with the likes of Mceneff, GMs, ginnelly. Everyone saw we struggled fitness wise against them today 

A team that just played 120 minutes 3 days ago were fitter than us in all areas - Go figure. 

If there is one lesson we can all take out of today it is that our bench seriously needs to improve and the gap of quality between our 1st team and bench is improved so we can at least bring players off the bench that can change matches rather than weaken our first string 

I'm not trying to argue but just being bluntly honest about the reasons why we lost that game 

Good post. 

Unbelievable how much of an easy ride the players get on here. Always Neilson fault.

They’re the ones that didn’t turn up yesterday.

12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

So ****ing what.

Watch their two finals again and tell me you weren't bored shitless with the football being played.

Or are you claiming St Johnstone last season played the most eye catching attacking football in Scotland?

You missed the point I was agreeing with you.

It's clearly not good enough when we have no shots on goal and don't lay a glove on Rangers but you'd think Stephen Craigan had logged in with multiple accounts with a tactical analysis like Neilson should have had a go or Neilson shat it.

The problem today and it's been a problem all season is that we don't have the wing backs or central midfielders (bar Barrie McKay who was poor today) to 'break the lines' and stretch Rangers out of their shape.

If we are to play with wing backs then I wouldn't look at retaining Cochrane as he doesn't offer enough for me attack wise.

Jury is out on Atkinson as a young guy who has moved country in his first season.

Haring and Devlin are fine defensively but they are not going to break past players at pace or pick a pass.

If we want to progress then we need to be better in these areas.

I was happy enough with getting to 75 mins at 0-0 but also wanting us to then put Rangers defence under more pressure but I think the players were knackered and don't have the quality to do so.

Of course Neilson has to take  responsibility as the manager but just blaming him entirely is lazy analysis.

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

You missed the point I was agreeing with you.

My mistake. I apologise to you.

Nessjambo67
13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pretty much this.

Overrun by better players.

They Brought on subs that were better players than the ones going off.

We don't have that luxury.

I have to agree that’s exactly what I thought their subs imo changed it for me wright Kamara and jack we can’t compete with that 

7 minutes ago, Costanza said:

It's clearly not good enough when we have no shots on goal and don't lay a glove on Rangers but you'd think Stephen Craigan had logged in with multiple accounts with a tactical analysis like Neilson should have had a go or Neilson shat it.

The problem today and it's been a problem all season is that we don't have the wing backs or central midfielders (bar Barrie McKay who was poor today) to 'break the lines' and stretch Rangers out of their shape.

If we are to play with wing backs then I wouldn't look at retaining Cochrane as he doesn't offer enough for me attack wise.

Jury is out on Atkinson as a young guy who has moved country in his first season.

Haring and Devlin are fine defensively but they are not going to break past players at pace or pick a pass.

I was happy enough with getting to 75 mins at 0-0 but also wanting us to then put Rangers defence under more pressure but I think the players were knackered and don't have the quality to do so.

Of course Neilson has to take  responsibility as the manager but just blaming him entirely is lazy analysis.

Atkinson needs some serious strength and conditioning training, IMO. 

Even when he gets part way past his man, they seem to be able to nudge him off it. 

Hope he gets tasked with some weight training and sprint exercises over the off season. 

Harry Potter
15 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Unbelievable how much of an easy ride the players get on here. Always Neilson fault.

They’re the ones that didn’t turn up yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Atkinson deserves another chance, hes raw but trys his heart out, and a move from home must be hard.

14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

How do you hit the post if you don't have any shots on goal.

The stat counters only include either a shot saved by the goalie or a goal as a shot on target. There were 5 shots from Hearts none on target in the view of the stat counters.

11 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I think the players were knackered

And the irony in that is all the talk around here beforehand was that it would be Rangers who were knackered after 120 minutes on Wednesday. And they have done a lot of that recently. Makes you wonder if it's actually made them fitter than others.

Nessjambo67
11 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Good post I think you got it spot on . I honestly thought we would win today rangers wanted it more than us and like you say we didn’t hurt them . How can you expect to win a cup with no shots on target !

11 minutes ago, CMc said:

Atkinson needs some serious strength and conditioning training, IMO. 

Even when he gets part way past his man, they seem to be able to nudge him off it. 

Hope he gets tasked with some weight training and sprint exercises over the off season. 

Yeah it was noticeable how often our players were out muscled and tired against a team who were the ones supposed to be tiring.

33 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That is the most batshit mental argument I've ever heard.  To dismiss the clear fact they have better players just makes you sound delusional.

Bar McGreggor they have better players in every position,  and back up players in those positions that are better, and backups to those...

If you looked at our bench you merely had to consider who could come on and change the game for us?  Then do the same with their bench.

If after considering that you still thought the teams were evenly matched you need your head examined.

We had a decent best XI when fit but the points difference in the league shows how far away we are from Sevco and Celtic.  Our team was full of players rushed back from injuries because we had nothing better.

We need to build gradually by increasing the quality and strengthening our squad depth if we want to get closer to the uglies.

This is exactly it. It may not have looked so good but as your pointing out there seems to be a lack of realism going around. They had multi millions all over the pitch and even more multi million sitting on the bench. They could field a second string that would probably take a top 2 spot in Scotland.

It's going to look entirely different when playing opposition who aren't Europa league finalist quality. And that's going to be most. Possibly even in Europe.

BackOfTheNet

The issue with tactics yesterday was evident, but you can argue it wasn’t just yesterday. That tactical decisions that have meant we have now lost four games in a row and not won in five also contributed to yesterday’s display. We haven’t exactly sent a squad full of confidence into that final. Players that did a job for us while others out injured effectively told they were seat warmers until the others came back. (Listen, I wouldn’t have changed that starting line up much, but it doesn’t do much for the morale of the players that had come in, and that also falls under tactical decision making)

A lot of talk about what we need in the transfer window. We definitely need players coming in better than we currently have (Forrest would be better than GMS, and Shankland I suppose is better than the 3rd striker we don’t have), we need more creative players. But honestly, I feel we should use some money to improve our coaching set up. We’ll be in four different competitions next season, expectedly competing in two, looking to get minimum 3rd in the league and will have at least eight games in Europe. We need not only better, but more numbers in terms of players. Which means we should have better and more numbers in coaching / analyst / tactical staff too. It’s just common sense and not a slight per se on the coaching staff. But tactics were wrong not just yesterday, but for quite a few games now. Neilson needs help, we should provide him with it.

John Findlay
7 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Who shot at goal? 

Barrie MacKay put one over the bar in the first half. Ellis Simms hit the post.

38 minutes ago, Costanza said:

This is the best post I've read on this thread and the bit in bold sums it up in a nutshell. As the game progressed I was hoping that around the 70-75 minute mark we would get 'the chance' and take it. But it just never happened. The reality is that we are short in quality both in terms of the fullbacks and attacking midfielders. McKay is a very creative player but he's never going to be a prolific goalscorer. We've done well this season, but the truth is, when you take Kingsley's free kicks out the equation, there's not a great deal of goals in that team.  

JamboNation

I was critical of his tactics too but on reflection the players didn't deliver what you would hope Mackay was quite subdued and the  spine the team were all lacking fitness had they been 100 percent fit it may have gone different it's felt like we have ran out of steam after the semi final where Rangers are battle hardened after the end to the season

Brighton Jambo
12 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Let's be honest. He's a limited manager and a coward. Never even attempted to lay a glove on them.

I fully expect the trolls like the wallyford hard man... To continue to troll but the sensible ones know he's hopeless. 

Best league season in 10+ years and a cup final.  And you think those supporting Neilson are the ones trolling?!

Brighton Jambo

I am surprised at the number of posters complaining about Boyce being subbed.  Neilson said before the game he wasn’t fit and it was a case of how many minutes we could get out of him.

There are two key areas for me:

1.  Squad depth, rangers made a raft of changes both to their starting line up and from the bench and they didn’t suffer for it. We played a bunch of players who clearly weren’t match fit (Halkett, Devlin, Boyce etc) because we don’t have the quality to do without them or replace them during the match.  

2.  That little bit of luck.  Against Rangers in 1998 we created very little but got a break with the early penalty.  Had Simms’ effort gone in our game plan may well have won us the cup.  Two inches to the left and we take the lead and then let’s see how Rangers react after Wednesday.  The smallest of margins.

Final point from me, Rangers are simply a much better team than us.  Apart from Gordon and ironically Souttar not one of our players get in that side.  The difference in quality was there for all to see painful as it was . 

Hectormasson
29 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The issue with tactics yesterday was evident, but you can argue it wasn’t just yesterday. That tactical decisions that have meant we have now lost four games in a row and not won in five also contributed to yesterday’s display. We haven’t exactly sent a squad full of confidence into that final. Players that did a job for us while others out injured effectively told they were seat warmers until the others came back. (Listen, I wouldn’t have changed that starting line up much, but it doesn’t do much for the morale of the players that had come in, and that also falls under tactical decision making)

A lot of talk about what we need in the transfer window. We definitely need players coming in better than we currently have (Forrest would be better than GMS, and Shankland I suppose is better than the 3rd striker we don’t have), we need more creative players. But honestly, I feel we should use some money to improve our coaching set up. We’ll be in four different competitions next season, expectedly competing in two, looking to get minimum 3rd in the league and will have at least eight games in Europe. We need not only better, but more numbers in terms of players. Which means we should have better and more numbers in coaching / analyst / tactical staff too. It’s just common sense and not a slight per se on the coaching staff. But tactics were wrong not just yesterday, but for quite a few games now. Neilson needs help, we should provide him with it.

Very well put,totally agree with you,,👍👏

Cairneyhill Jambo
1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Our bench was the weak link yesterday. We had nobody that could’ve come on and influenced the game. That’s what we lacked yesterday. Nothing to do with Robbie or his tactics. We could only take it so far - but that wasn’t enough. Shame, cos within the 90 mins, the huns were there to be shot at. Extra time was different. 

That was the thing for me. Defensively we had players on the park we could shuffle about if necessary. So why did we have Sibbick and Moore both on the bench. I'd rather Neilson took a gamble and had Makenzie Kirk on the bench instead. We were gutless up front yesterday. 

Ex member of the SaS

The result typifies all we have been saying before, Robbie does not have that spark good managers need. He can't take us any higher and I fear for us in Europe. Playing 5 defenders with no out ball and sitting in getting pummeled. His subs are baffling to say the least.

Why did he change things at half time? We competed well in the first 20 minutes and rode out the half, so why sit in and defend in the second? 

It was a real missed opportunity against a weakened Rangers team. We should have pressed them more and had a proper go. I thought it was a fairly even first half but we just lacked the belief to go on and win the game. McKay had an off day and Haring was walking on egg shells after the early booking. Devlin and Simms didn’t offer much in what was a frustrating and disappointing day. 

1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

You’re deluded if you think it was just about the bench and ET, we never laid a glove on them for 90mins.  At no time in the whole game were we on top.

Tactically we got it wrong.

Ex member of the SaS
23 minutes ago, JamboNation said:

I was critical of his tactics too but on reflection the players didn't deliver what you would hope Mackay was quite subdued and the  spine the team were all lacking fitness had they been 100 percent fit it may have gone different it's felt like we have ran out of steam after the semi final where Rangers are battle hardened after the end to the season

The team lacking fitness shows he got the tactics wrong in the last game. A game that meant nothing and instead of resting players he played our first team and go humped by the U 18's. Far better to put out our youths and lost that game 10-0. At least Boyce would have stayed fit.

Scott Leitch
14 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Best league season in 10+ years and a cup final.  And you think those supporting Neilson are the ones trolling?!

Agreed. Good league season but you hand on heart can say he doesn't deserve to be slated for yesterday? You can't be that stupid man. That was ****ing terrible yesterday. I doubt teh Rangers defence have had an easier game all season. Stretch the game get the ball wide. Just played so narrow. 

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Yeah, I had really hoped we would switch it and do a full high press for the last ten minutes. 

Once McKay and Boyce had gone off and Simms stopped winning everything in the air, we were creating. Like Klopp says, sometimes turnovers can be your best playmaker. It looked like it was our only potential source of a chance. It also has the scope to spook them as they had got used to taking an age on the ball at the back. Felt like Gino really could have used his pace and energy better to unsettle them when they had the ball. 

Might have been lack of match sharpness and injuries that stopped it, but the end result was like if Ali had never come off the ropes in the rumble in the jungle. 

Edited by CMc

One thing that really stood out for me was why did we turn into a long ball team?  We’ve been playing it out the back all season until yesterday and then suddenly it was launch the ball up to Simms and have nobody running off him as Boyce is being asked to play a game his fitness and body aren’t suited for.

BackOfTheNet

Seeing a lot of people saying we depleted once Boyce went off, like that’s somehow an excuse. I had said all week we shouldn’t start with him (I think injuries aside we shouldn’t, as we needed more width on that pitch anyway). Why do the folk saying that him going off “changed the game” not realise that if he hadn’t started, maybe him coming ON after 60-70 minutes could have “changed the game”. The starting line up we had was not fixed, talking about permutations of a game based solely on the starting line up forego any legitimate analysis of the tactics that could/should have been used under a different starting line up. Criticism of that is also fair and shouldn’t be simply dismissed.

13 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I am surprised at the number of posters complaining about Boyce being subbed.  Neilson said before the game he wasn’t fit and it was a case of how many minutes we could get out of him.

There are two key areas for me:

1.  Squad depth, rangers made a raft of changes both to their starting line up and from the bench and they didn’t suffer for it. We played a bunch of players who clearly weren’t match fit (Halkett, Devlin, Boyce etc) because we don’t have the quality to do without them or replace them during the match.  

2.  That little bit of luck.  Against Rangers in 1998 we created very little but got a break with the early penalty.  Had Simms’ effort gone in our game plan may well have won us the cup.  Two inches to the left and we take the lead and then let’s see how Rangers react after Wednesday.  The smallest of margins.

Final point from me, Rangers are simply a much better team than us.  Apart from Gordon and ironically Souttar not one of our players get in that side.  The difference in quality was there for all to see painful as it was . 

Exactly. If we went at them they’d have pumped us 5-0.

We kept things tight and frustrated them. If that Simms chance went in then we’d have won the game, Neilson would be a hero on here, and the players would be getting praised for their dogged display. 

9 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The result typifies all we have been saying before, Robbie does not have that spark good managers need. He can't take us any higher and I fear for us in Europe. Playing 5 defenders with no out ball and sitting in getting pummeled. His subs are baffling to say the least.

Why did he change things at half time? We competed well in the first 20 minutes and rode out the half, so why sit in and defend in the second? 

I’m not sure he did? 

for me, it was the same plan that was less effective. 

First half, we stayed compact, held a 2/3 press, went early to simms or Boyce and tried to get close to them for the second balls. 

Second half, they reorganised the defence, neutralised the direct ball to Simms, ran our midfield around to tire them out when they had possession and we subsequently didn’t get any second balls and struggled to get up the pitch. Don’t think Robbie told them to do it. 

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Exactly. If we went at them they’d have pumped us 5-0.

We kept things tight and frustrated them. If that Simms chance went in then we’d have won the game, Neilson would be a hero on here, and the players would be getting praised for their dogged display. 

If we went at the side that pumped us by that margin at Ibrox a few months ago, maybe. But if we went at a side that played a game is sizzling heat for 120 minutes and penalties less than three days earlier and had to travel back in that time coupled with an emotional drain? I think they were there to be overrun. Their confidence grew as the game went on, and that’s all on us.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

5 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Agreed. Good league season but you hand on heart can say he doesn't deserve to be slated for yesterday? You can't be that stupid man. That was ****ing terrible yesterday. I doubt teh Rangers defence have had an easier game all season. Stretch the game get the ball wide. Just played so narrow. 

The only finger you can really point at Neilson was we sat too deep from 60 minutes onwards. That was either an instruction from him or something that happened that he had to work out how to change. In mitigation though he’s playing with a team full of niggles and unhealed injuries with key players out of form for weeks (Boyce and McKay) and a weak squad behind the first 11 so his scope for changing it wasn’t huge. You can’t play that long against Rangers with no out ball and I reckon we had all our eggs in the ‘hold on and play for penalties’ basket for too long in the game.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

If we went at the side that pumped us by that margin at Ibrox a few months ago, maybe. But if we went at a side that played a game is sizzling heat for 120 minutes and penalties less than three days earlier and had to travel back in that time coupled with an emotional drain? I think they were there to be overrun. Their confidence grew as the game went on, and that’s all on us.

Agree, We should have closed down their defenders and stopped them owning the pitch. We have 5 in defense and not one tackle before the edge of our own box. A high press is what is required against the bigots twins and when you allow them to control the pitch you lose.