Robbie Neilson Tactics

Walter Bishop

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I didn't say I expect us to win a cup. I wanted us to win yesterday as with everyone else. This is a common misconception whenever anyone argues with the status quo that we should just be happy with what we've got. 

Alloa would have given us a better game than we gave Rangers, can guarantee it. 

This wierd attitude that going on a decent cup run is some sort of achievement is a bit hibs. It's great for days out, good games and generally a good marker of how the team is doing, but you don't get a medal for a good cup run. We should be aiming to win these competitions, not just making up the numbers. St Johnstone got a double last year ffs so the finances argument will only go so far. Of course it makes a difference but these are one off knockout games. £400,000 a week Aaron Ramsey couldn't even get on the pitch. Money isn't everything albeit it obviously is a big part. This good cup run (Hibs game aside) will be long forgotten sharpish. Winning the cup should be the marker.

I am a miserable ******* yes.

We went on a good cup run this year and got beat in the final. I'm not happy about that 🤷‍♂️ 

Also before the Robbie lovers and right footed folk jump on me, this isn't a dig at Neilson. Calm yerselves. It's an overall thing. It's been a great season and getting to the final is a great achievement.

You seem to be arguing with yourself here 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Malinga the Swinga

• Bazzas right boot

Dennis Reynolds
Just now, The Treasurer said:

You seem to be arguing with yourself here 

I'm not arguing with anyone. Just posting my opinion on a football forum. You crack on though.

20 minutes ago, Voxpop said:

you can expect to win a cup if we play a wee team like hibs. Playing a team like Rangers who are vastly superior to us we can expect nothing. Apart from souttar one of our players would get near their team

look at the points difference in the league.  If alloa were playing hearts in the cup final would they expect to win?

Why did you use expect?  I dont think there were many jambos yesterday who expected to win - equally I dont think there were that many who went there just thankful to be there - thank gawd.

2006 final - Gretna could easily have beaten us if it hadn't been for Neilson's worldie.

Dennis Reynolds

Btw, tactics wise, there's only so many times you should see an overlap happening before dealing with it. Majority of Rangers chances coming down the wings and us getting carved open with a simple 2 on 1 was horrendous. 

jambopilms
3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I didn't say I expect us to win a cup. I wanted us to win yesterday as with everyone else. This is a common misconception whenever anyone argues with the status quo that we should just be happy with what we've got. 

This wierd attitude that going on a decent cup run is some sort of achievement is a bit hibs. It's great for days out, good games and generally a good marker of how the team is doing, but you don't get a medal for a good cup run. We should be aiming to win these competitions, not just making up the numbers. St Johnstone got a double last year ffs so the finances argument will only go so far. Of course it makes a difference but these are one off knockout games. £400,000 a week Aaron Ramsey couldn't even get on the pitch. Money isn't everything albeit it obviously is a big part. This good cup run (Hibs game aside) will be long forgotten sharpish. Winning the cup should be the marker.

We went on a good cup run this year and got beat in the final. I'm not happy about that 🤷‍♂️ 

Also before the Robbie lovers and right footed folk jump on me, this isn't a dig at Neilson. Calm yerselves. It's an overall thing. It's been a great season and getting to the final is a great achievement.

St Johnstone didn't play either of the Old Firm in the finals or they would have been double runners up and nobody would be talking about them. 

The fact is if you want a cup win you need someone to knock them out early because you aren't beating them in a final.

Nobody is happy about yesterday, some can see the mitigating factors behind the scoreline better than others.

The Treasurer
Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

I'm not arguing with anyone. Just posting my opinion on a football forum. You crack on though.

You seem to be saying a cup run isn't good enough if you don't win it and then you say third place and a cup final is a good season. 

Just seems like you are contradicting yourself 

No big deal just a wee bit confusing 

2 hours ago, Skivingatwork said:

Just opening JKB since the game yesterday and interested to read the polarised views.  I have finally sobered up enough to add my own thoughts.

I think the tactics were spot on for the first 60-70 minutes.  Don’t go gung ho and find yourself 2 down inside 20 minutes and the game is effectively over.

However, in the last 15-20 minutes there needed to be a plan B which all the players were aware of. A plan to up the pace, press higher as a team and put them under pressure. Test their legs. Unfortunately we were set up all game not to win it but not to lose it. 

We did well to keep them at bay but didn’t lay a glove on them. It was always going to be a matter of time before they scored as they have decent enough quality in their team. 

Just wish we had been a wee bit braver in the closing stages of the 90 minutes.

This is where I’m at. 

jambopilms

Btw, tactics wise, there's only so many times you should see an overlap happening before dealing with it. Majority of Rangers chances coming down the wings and us getting carved open with a simple 2 on 1 was horrendous. 

It was plain to see, I can only assume that the plan was let them cross and defend the box, which we did do.

1 on 1 Atkinson was well out of his depth nevermind 2 on 1.

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

It was plain to see, I can only assume that the plan was let them cross and defend the box, which we did do.

They could break out of their defence and within a couple of secs they wouldn't be going outside or around Atkinson and Cochrane - they were out their depth but with 3 at the back there is always a risk of this.  I think we'd been playing better with 4 at the back and we should probably have started with that.  Atkinson and Cochrane were very poor but it wasn't all their fault.

LarrysRightFoot
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Atkinson is still learning our game and his way in the game in general. We’re not in the situation to buy the finished article, we sign players with the raw attributes and hope to turn them into the finished article. He has a good attitude which is half the battle. 

6 minutes ago, benny said:

Boyce has no pace but he is a clever player.

We were never under pressure when he was on the park.

He was doing brilliantly for us while on.All the trouble from that side happened after Boyce went off.

And who replaced Boyce ! The most unfit, lazy, Robbie’s favourite pal Andy Halliday who did absolutely NOTHING !
Neilson handed this imposter an extended 2 year contract which tells the world that Robbie Neilson isn’t fit to manage Hearts even forgetting his poor preparation  (training / tactics / coaching) for games, his poor team selections, his poor game management, his poor excuses for poor results and for not aiding young players to become better professionals.

Yes Robbie Neilson has the safest job in Scottish Football the man can do no wrong in the eyes of our leaders in the club that continually underperforms.

22 minutes ago, benny said:

Boyce has no pace but he is a clever player.

We were never under pressure when he was on the park.

He was doing brilliantly for us while on.All the trouble from that side happened after Boyce went off.

Spot on .

I've said previously what he brings.

And I've stated his faults.

Neilson is growing as a manager.

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

And who replaced Boyce ! The most unfit, lazy, Robbie’s favourite pal Andy Halliday who did absolutely NOTHING !
Neilson handed this imposter an extended 2 year contract which tells the world that Robbie Neilson isn’t fit to manage Hearts even forgetting his poor preparation  (training / tactics / coaching) for games, his poor team selections, his poor game management, his poor excuses for poor results and for not aiding young players to become better professionals.

Yes Robbie Neilson has the safest job in Scottish Football the man can do no wrong in the eyes of our leaders in the club that continually underperforms.

That Andy Halliday who took the game to Hibs .

That Halliday who at the very least puts in a shift 

Halliday who plays where he's asked

Halliday who lost his place early season

Looked pissed of about it rolled his sleeves up and got on with it.

Hope you have some kitchen roll handy for the slavers .

4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

How is third place plus cup runners-up under-performing for any club in Scotland outwith the OF?  You don’t half talk some crap at times. In fact most of the time to be honest. 

11 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Best eleven from the start 👌 Squad quality nothing like tfka Rangers. 

And unfortunately that's the bottom line.

Also Beni is a loss.

We played a Rangers team who have went toe to toe with some real pedigree in Europe.

Who threaten Celtic in one of games.

We now go into next season building on a decent bit of strength.

Disappointed yesterday but fek me there's some folk just got it in for Neilson.

I'd have sacked him last season .

Thankfully I'm not in charge.

Getting 3rd and to finals and semi finals is chapping at the door.

And our general play all season has improved.

Admittedly it's tailed off.

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

How is third place plus cup runners-up under-performing for any club in Scotland outwith the OF?  You don’t half talk some crap at times. In fact most of the time to be honest. 

Some crap?

You're a very polite chap .

Slavers especially about Halliday.

Dennis Reynolds
3 minutes ago, Ked said:

Spot on .

Neilsons certainly improving, absolutely no doubt about it. Still has his faults but deserves a lot of praise for this season. He also deserves the criticsm that comes his way from performances like yesterday. Part and parcel of being a manager. Needs to keep improving and continue to take us upwards! 

Andy Halliday will always get unjust abuse because the face doesn't fit. He didn't really do anything at all yesterday but getting put out wide on the right (?) isn't going to work. It was a weird sub. Not his fault. He's had a good season and I probably would have started him as an extra man in the middle. 

indianajones
4 hours ago, briever said:

This attitude drives me nuts.  The difference between us and the OF, apart from budget is they never accept defeat - on and off the field, not something you could ever say about us.

Its not an attitude. Its a fact. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Neilsons certainly improving, absolutely no doubt about it. Still has his faults but deserves a lot of praise for this season. He also deserves the criticsm that comes his way from performances like yesterday. Part and parcel of being a manager. Needs to keep improving and continue to take us upwards! 

Andy Halliday will always get unjust abuse because the face doesn't fit. He didn't really do anything at all yesterday but getting put out wide on the right (?) isn't going to work. It was a weird sub. Not his fault. He's had a good season and I probably would have started him as an extra man in the middle. 

Halliday and Ginnelly should’ve started. Both had recently come into form. Bit baffled by that.

It seems managers these days don’t go with simple things like form. Halliday can drive with the ball, I really wanted to see him start in midfield. Devlin was obv 3/4 fit but asked to limit his work to defensive duties, who else is doing the ball carrying?  Haring hasn’t got the legs and is another who can only play in an area.  

46 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You’re comparing players playing against a Rangers side taking time to find their feet versus players coming on when Rangers already had a foot hold in the game. Even at 0-0 they dominated us. Ginnelly for Boyce offers a completely different proposition in terms of a wide threat. And when they were rattled in the first 10 or so minutes that could’ve proved useful. Boyce was decent yesterday, this isn’t a slight on him, I’m just suggesting maybe (not definitely) that Boyce playing the way he did yesterday might have proven more useful coming off the bench when all players had tired than he did when starting. But, we will never know, neither of us or anyone can be conclusive about this as it’s a hypothetical that’s impossible to prove.

For sure, I get what you're saying, but without Boyce on the pitch Ginnelly would be useless out wide. Boyce was drawing the Rangers players to him and winning tackles and releasing the ball. Ginnelly would have been completely isolated if he'd played instead of Boyce, as who would be linking play? Sibbick???

For Ginnelly to be effective, we'd need to be playing much deeper and hoping to counter using his pace as he did against Celtic so well in the 2020 final.

Him coming on when Rangers did start to dominate us more made sense than starting him.

However, as mentioned, he was completely ineffective.

Agreed to an extent .

Rangers were getting a lot of their play down that side though.

So I could see the logic.

No ones in doubt that we need some more guile in our team and some pace.

That costs money.

But posters come on here moaning about not improving youngsters etc.

Here's an eye opener.

Even Rangers can't keep hold of anyone that looks decent.

We have lost a couple of promising youngsters have we not?

Not excusing yesterday we were flat .

But folk need to wise up a bit.

I called for Neilson after Brora.

I'm glad that didn't happen.

Calling for him after this season points towards mental illness.

i wish jj was my dad
17 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Just itching. Love it how you only pop up to have a go when we lose. I suspect you are relieved that we never actually won the cup. 

30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Can someone please tell me where the 'next level' is Robbie can't reach. I'm as big a dreamer as the next fan, but we are not winning the title any time soon. The cup is our Everest, and unfortunately the Big Yetis have been waiting for us the last 3 finals. Hopefully next season we'll plant the flag.

We talk about being the 3rd biggest side in Scotland but have utterly failed to establish any sort of consistency over that claim in a football sense. 

Robbie can get us finishing 3rd consistently, I have absolutely no doubts of that. With the club in a better place financially now he should be able to bring in players of a higher standard so we're not finishing the season with wingers with a handful of assists as our so called 'creative' players. Barrie McKay is the only one worthy of pass marks. Gino has been Casper the friendly ghost and GMS for an experienced player should hang his head in shame. 

IMO the level is finishing 3rd and building that level of consistency into closing the gap above us. If we can ensure that we're making it to at least the semi final stage of the Scottish cup, then 9/10 we'll have this assurance of European football every season which is a financial windfall for the club to allow more investment, which over time will allow us to create a gap that the teams below us will be unable to bridge without significant external investment. 

I despair at folk that want to chase him off, because history tells us we won't replace him with better. Cathro, Levein and Stendel were a total waste of time and energy by the club that set us back big time. Robbie in one season has got us back to where we believe we should be, and now with more funds to spend he can work on our attacking potential and make us more of a threat against the OF, hopefully whilst doling out some pumpings to the weaker sides in this league too. 

Folk annoyed about our performance, who does he replace? Boyce wasn't fit enough and clearly nursing an injury. Halliday was on pain killing injections. Halkett just back, Atkinson first season in Scottish football, Smith not fit, Beni out. Subs none of them are good enough... the squad was paper thin because this is our first season back in the top flight and there is no point bloating it with shite players. Now there is a bit more money to spend and we can focus in on acquiring some quality. 

Next season should be a really exciting prospect for everybody. 

5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Its not an attitude. Its a fact. 

Easier not to accept defeat when you are a crocodile in a lake full of frogs

21 minutes ago, Ked said:

Spot on .

One game and your drooling over him. Halliday is finished.

jambopilms
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Easier not to accept defeat when you are a crocodile in a lake full of frogs

True, it's a total myth. The old firm regularly accept defeat in Europe from teams with bigger budgets. In fact the media make the excuses for them

11 minutes ago, OTT said:

I despair at folk that want to chase him off, because history tells us we won't replace him with better. Cathro, Levein and Stendel were a total waste of time and energy by the club that set us back big time. Robbie in one season has got us back to where we believe we should be, and now with more funds to spend he can work on our attacking potential and make us more of a threat against the OF, hopefully whilst doling out some pumpings to the weaker sides in this league too. 

Neilson left us, chasing the big bucks down south.

23 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Have you seen the standard of teams in the Scottish  Premiership because leaving Hearts to one side the standard is pure rank apart from Celtic and Rangers. And look how far these 2 are ahead of the other 9 it’s embarrassing. So come 3rd is no big deal believe me.

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

For sure, I get what you're saying, but without Boyce on the pitch Ginnelly would be useless out wide. Boyce was drawing the Rangers players to him and winning tackles and releasing the ball. Ginnelly would have been completely isolated if he'd played instead of Boyce, as who would be linking play? Sibbick???

For Ginnelly to be effective, we'd need to be playing much deeper and hoping to counter using his pace as he did against Celtic so well in the 2020 final.

Him coming on when Rangers did start to dominate us more made sense than starting him.

However, as mentioned, he was completely ineffective.

Haring and Atkinson would have an out ball on the wing if Ginnelly played. Simms can run a channel, Boyce can’t. Whenever he tries he ends up losing the ball or getting it knocked off him for a corner. I give Boyce praise for playing through an injury and giving his all, but let’s not overstate his contribution. He still had too many times where he was ineffective in possession, losing possession, ponderous etc. Ginnelly didn’t show much in the time he was on at 0-0, could he have done more starting with 60-70 minutes? Again, we won’t know. Both Ginnelly and Boyce have been disappointing for months now.

I’m thinking less about the individual and more about the formation. And for me having Ginnelly out wide on the right means Bassey might have had to think about getting forward more rather than sauntering 30-40 yards unchallenged as he did repeatedly. It would also mean he’d be an out ball for Atkinson as I say, and the midfield could look up and knock a ball out wide rather continuously than lump it up to Simms or play short passes. McKay and Simms were our only running outlets, and that was easy to defend against. That’s my thinking at least, but understand where you’re coming from too.

Bull's-eye
3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Have you seen the standard of teams in the Scottish  Premiership because leaving Hearts to one side the standard is pure rank apart from Celtic and Rangers. And look how far these 2 are ahead of the other 9 it’s embarrassing. So come 3rd is no big deal believe me.

:rofl:

Hearts are 3rd because everyone else is pish.

The lunatic rantings of mitch.

Quality JKB .

10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

One game and your drooling over him. Halliday is finished.

Can't recall any posts or threads where I have drooled over him.

But he's no imposter and isn't lazy as you alluded to with drool dropping from your lower lip.

And it's not just a single game.

38 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Think Halliday has been carrying an injury for weeks now.

Like a lot of the players.

8 minutes ago, briever said:

Neilson left us, chasing the big bucks down south.

I remember there was general dissatisfaction with the style of play, a plane being hired to tell him to piss off and constant questions from the media about Leveins involvement with the team. I don't think it was a money orientated decision, it was to get out of the fishbowl and Leveins shadow. 

Only Robbie can answer that, but MK Dons is a weird move if you're only concerned about big bucks :D 

10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Before we buy players to compete would you like to find or invest the 18 million pounds that Celtic pay in wages per season.

Rangers will pay similar.

3rd will see us back in Europe bringing in more money attracting better players.

We all want trophies .

What Neilson has delivered this season puts us in a place to build from strength.

He deserves next season .

15 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Couldn’t really do that I’m afraid. 

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I remember there was general dissatisfaction with the style of play, a plane being hired to tell him to piss off and constant questions from the media about Leveins involvement with the team. I don't think it was a money orientated decision, it was to get out of the fishbowl and Leveins shadow. 

Only Robbie can answer that, but MK Dons is a weird move if you're only concerned about big bucks :D 

Without being itk I have been told the Levein part was significant.

ScandinavianJambo
56 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You got to be kidding right. I know we are all hurting, but seriously??

davemclaren
Just now, ScandinavianJambo said:

You got to be kidding right. I know we are all hurting, but seriously??

Oh, he’s definitely serious. 😄

Why would we want to secure Europe every season so we can grow the fan base and the business sustainability to the point where we can narrow the gap? That clearly lacks vision and ambition. 

Let’s bet the farm on a bunch of expensive foreigners and have a kamikaze tilt at some impossible windmills straight away. What’ve we got to lose? So what if it failed and nearly killed us last time? Anyone who thinks we shouldn’t bankrupt ourselves chasing teams with five times our budget isn’t a PHM. 

***kicks all available bins and marches off shouting at clouds***

43 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Just itching. Love it how you only pop up to have a go when we lose. I suspect you are relieved that we never actually won the cup. 

Some of you just don’t get it. I get that and it’s not your fault. Never doubt my support for Hearts.

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

st Johnstone didn’t need to beat Rangers.  

30 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Quality JKB .

Ok tell me Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Ross County etc aren’t rank.

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Some of you just don’t get it. I get that and it’s not your fault. Never doubt my support for Hearts.

Can you explain what we are not getting and how it's not our fault.

And apologies for the slavering crack just so you know I'm genuinely interested in how you are seeing it.

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Whatever you have got, I hope I don't get it. 

37 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Quality JKB .

Hibs last season backs his point up adequately 

A utter pish Hibs walked away with 3rd 

34 minutes ago, Ked said:

Can't recall any posts or threads where I have drooled over him.

But he's no imposter and isn't lazy as you alluded to with drool dropping from your lower lip.

And it's not just a single game.

Oh yes it is, oh wait a minute he did well against Auchenleck Talbot. Yes you drool.

40 minutes ago, benny said:

Think Halliday has been carrying an injury for weeks now.

Like a lot of the players.

Every game Halliday starts limping at some point he the most overrated player that puts our midfield under pressure with his inability to put in a shift. Haring and Devlin are grafters and put Halliday to shame.

frankblack
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Every game Halliday starts limping at some point he the most overrated player that puts our midfield under pressure with his inability to put in a shift. Haring and Devlin are grafters and put Halliday to shame.

Halliday is unlikely to be a starter in our best XI, but a useful squad player as shown in a number of games like the Tynie derby.

Dennis Reynolds
24 minutes ago, Voxpop said:

st Johnstone didn’t need to beat Rangers.  

St. Johnstone papped them out in the quarters. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

You've argued with yourself there and then came to a sensible conclusion. 

I'm not sure what you want done.